Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Who has the highest concert attendance figures?
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 13, 2019 02:41

just been trying to find out online, always i get a different answer to the question i ask.

all i want to know is which band aggregates the highest attendances for concerts in their entire history but keep getting answers for highest grossing indivudual tour, highest figure for a single concert. or total gross earnings for a band.

i suspect the stones have been watched by around 40million people, so therefor have sold 40million concert tickets in total.

just wondering surely there cant be anyone that comes close to this, but no doubt u2 will stick around long enough just to top this.

any thoughts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-15 12:06 by bv.

Re: who has the highest concert attendance figures.
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 13, 2019 02:49

Billy Graham ….. est to have preached to 215 Million people

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: September 13, 2019 08:52

According to Wikipedia, it's the Grateful Dead:

>>>>>>
The 1998 edition of the Guinness Book of World Records recognized them with a listing under the heading, "most rock concerts performed" (2,318 concerts).[105] They played to an estimated total of 25 million people, more than any other band, with audiences of up to 80,000 attending a single show.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: September 13, 2019 08:57

"I suspect the stones have been watched by around 40 million people"

Clearly more, buttons67. The number you say is correct, as for the years 1981 - present, But we have to add up attendances from 1962 - 1978, I have seen somewhere, as for the particular period, a total number 10 million. But I can't analyze it, tour by tour. Since 1981, things are much more clear, of course.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 13, 2019 09:38

Javadave

>>>>>>
The 1998 edition of the Guinness Book of World Records recognized them with a listing under the heading, "most rock concerts performed" (2,318 concerts).[105] They played to an estimated total of 25 million people, more than any other band, with audiences of up to 80,000 attending a single show.

Don't believe everything that's written on Wikipeadia!

I did a thorough investigation for a fanzine way back in the beginning of this Millennium (mentioned this already in another thread). And I only did that for Rolling Stones concerts of the 20st Century. The Rolling Stones had already then passed 30 Million visitors (1962-1999).
Adding 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012 and every following year including the around 1 Million of the recent North American tour, even Buttons67 will admit that 40 Million could be too modest. BV kept note on visitor numbers during the past decennia, so if you do some homework, you can come up with a nice figure.
smileys with beer

Posted by: tommyturbo76 ()
Date: September 13, 2019 10:39

I have always wondered about the same stats. The only other person but not concert-related seems to have been Pope John Paul II . I only find “tens of millions”

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: September 13, 2019 11:27

tommyturbo76
I have always wondered about the same stats. The only other person but not concert-related seems to have been Pope John Paul II . I only find “tens of millions”

Yep he played to 100's of millions, grossed way more than Ed Sheeran.

The USA will truck out some Garth Brooks bollocks

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: September 13, 2019 12:46

Rockman
Billy Graham ….. est to have preached to 215 Million people[/quote

Rockman - your desert dry humor is unbeatable!!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 13, 2019 13:40

buttons
i suspect the stones have been watched by around 40million people, so therefor have sold 40million concert tickets in total.

Number of individuals who have seen the Stones is lower than the total of tickets sold: many of us have seen the Stones multiple times, plus, at least up to 1981, I guess lots of us could crash/sneak in the concert without a ticket!

C

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 13, 2019 13:47

Rockman - your desert dry humor is unbeatable!!

You should hear some of the crap that
comes outta me when I'm body-surfin down the rapid ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 13, 2019 14:11

Isn't it BV? grinning smiley

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 13, 2019 20:50

Rockman

...but you can’t dance to it. cool smiley

Date: September 14, 2019 11:36

liddas
buttons

Number of individuals who have seen the Stones is lower than the total of tickets sold: many of us have seen the Stones multiple times, plus, at least up to 1981, I guess lots of us could crash/sneak in the concert without a ticket!

C

Sure, but that's the case for basically any artist or band. Hardcore fans are always well outnumbered by the casual concert visitor, inspired by curiosity or "they are famous, so ...".
But ... I did a "quick" run over BVs database from 2002-2019 and came very close to 14.5 Million (including Rio and Havana). Adding "my" 30 Million of the 20st Century, it would mean a total of close to 45 Million visitors. No offence to the Greatful Dead, but they are not even close.

45 MILLION smileys with beer

Note: I took BVs 500.000 for Havana, but having been there myself, I'm pretty sure there were easily 150.000 more.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 14, 2019 13:09

Javadave

>>>>>>

quite doubtful, I'd say.
Just for comparison: Bob Dylan has played more than 3000 shows on his never ending tour (running since 1988). An average attendance of 2500 people for each show would add up to 7,5 million people, An average attendance of 5000 adds up to 15 million. Of course he played some smaller venues but also some much more bigger ones. And he didn't start touring in 1988 of course (remember for example the massive 1978 world tour (100.000-200.000 at Blackbushe, 80.000-100.000 at Nuremberg etc)

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 14, 2019 13:29

U2 must be up there? They've done several massive World Tours over 30+ years playing to huge stadia.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 14, 2019 13:51

It is important to differenciate between free and paid for attendances. Example:

Summer 2002 : Pope John Paul II - Downside Park Toronto - 800,000 people - free
Summer 2003 : The Rolling Stones - SarsStock Downsview Park Toronto - 450,000 tickets at cad 21.50 each

The Rio show in 2006 was free, my estimate was 1.3 million, on the beach, but the city was packed, some said 2 mill, but I would not count people in the city.

The Havana show in 2016 was free, my estimate was 500,000 on the site, inside the fence, but of course more people were in the nearby streets, I would not count those.

The Rolling Stones would have no problem to play in front of millions of people for free, to make some sort of record, but they like to have people who are real fans, paying for the tickets, often high priced tickets, so rather than playing 10 sold out shows at Fargo Dome with low ticket prices (Garth Brooks), they did one show at a "normal" high ticket price at that venue. When there is a limitation of number of shows, and seats, you will not see The Stones on top of a list of highest attendance, but may be highest gross sales.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 14, 2019 13:55

Highest attendance for a (free) single Concert - probably French Electronic Musician Jean-Michel Jarre -- [en.Wikipedia.org] :

- 1979: 1 million spectators (Place de la Concorde, Paris)
- 1986: 1.5 million spectators (Rendez-vous Houston)
- 1986: 0.8 million spectators (Rendez-vous Lyon)
- 1990: 2 million spectators (La Défense, Paris)
- 1995: 1.25 million spectators (Eiffel Tower, Paris)
- 1997: 3.5 million spectators (850th birthday of Moscow)
- 1998: 0.8 million spectators (Eiffel Tower, Paris)

1979 - Place de la Concorde, Paris: "In the audience, Mick Jagger is stunned from the total show (lights, music, images) he attends live. He rushes backstage to ask Jarre for a future collaboration." - [jmjarrefan.wordpress.com] .

Date: September 14, 2019 17:10

grzegorz67
U2 must be up there? They've done several massive World Tours over 30+ years playing to huge stadia.

I'm sure U2 is in high figures too. Maybe somebody can check that out. And how about Elvis with his countless Las Vegas shows?
Nevertheless, with some more effort in the upcoming years (we all hope so, right?), The Rolling Stones may hit the 50 Million mark.
Not bad for a "bunch of guys" who started as a small time rhythm and blues "combo" way back in 1962.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 14, 2019 17:25

BV does

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 14, 2019 17:59

For a single concert it’s Rod Stewart on New Year’s Eve 1994.... or so the Guinness Book Of Records say. 4.5 million iirc.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 14, 2019 18:45

JumpingKentFlash

For a single concert it’s Rod Stewart on New Year’s Eve 1994.... or so the Guinness Book Of Records say. 4.5 million iirc.

It's equal with J.-M. Jarre in Moscow 1997: 3.5 million spectators - both got an entry in the Guinness Book of Records - [en.Wikipedia.org] (JMJ), Wikipedia (Rod Stewart).

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: September 14, 2019 21:12

georgie48
grzegorz67

I'm sure U2 is in high figures too. Maybe somebody can check that out. And how about Elvis with his countless Las Vegas shows?
Nevertheless, with some more effort in the upcoming years (we all hope so, right?), The Rolling Stones may hit the 50 Million mark.
Not bad for a "bunch of guys" who started as a small time rhythm and blues "combo" way back in 1962.

U2 I guess would be second to the Rolling Stones. Over 20 million attendees seeing U2. I would put them at maybe 25 million overall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-14 21:12 by WelshEdge1.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: September 14, 2019 22:17

Rockman

Was that with George Beverly Shea, Cliff Barrows, Ethel Waters, and Mick Taylor or Ronnie Wood?

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: September 15, 2019 10:25

Who cares???

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1472
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home