Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Open letter to Abkco
Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: September 12, 2019 01:11

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen at Abkco:

Thank you so much for botching it up again! After completely blowing it with the Beggars Banquet 50th anniversary set, you have outdone yourself and botched this "Let It Bleed" opportunity as well! Thanks so much, I will now have enough money to go buy a legitimate boxed set by that other band (the inferior one) called The Beatles, who are releasing another fantastic boxed set to commemorate "Abbey Road", on the heels of the great boxed set of "The White Album" which itself was on the heels of Sgt Pepper. All three sets include wonderful books, track data, numerous outtakes and great sound.

I cannot understand why you cannot get your act together and work something out with the band that benefits everybody. Fans get great outtakes, the band and record company all stuff their pockets - everybody happy.

Peace Out -

Re: Open letter to Abkco
Posted by: ash ()
Date: September 12, 2019 01:36

Like I said in my post re archival releases, much as I want to blame ABKCO (and they don't put good info in their cd's), they are legally hamstrung by the legal situation from the 70s.
I also seriously disagree with your labelling the mop heads as inferior. The Beatles and The Stones are both @#$%& brilliant.

Date: September 12, 2019 01:46

ash
Like I said in my post re archival releases, much as I want to blame ABKCO (and they don't put good info in their cd's), they are legally hamstrung by the legal situation from the 70s.
I also seriously disagree with your labelling the mop heads as inferior. The Beatles and The Stones are both @#$%& brilliant.

Oh, I love the Beatles and they were brilliant. And I'm not bull**itting - I already have Abbey Road ordered. But in the age old "Beatles or Stones?" argument, I always go to our boys. I'd much prefer to fork over $110 for a legitimate "Let it Bleed" box.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: September 12, 2019 02:10

Lynd8
ash

Oh, I love the Beatles and they were brilliant. And I'm not bull**itting - I already have Abbey Road ordered. But in the age old "Beatles or Stones?" argument, I always go to our boys. I'd much prefer to fork over $110 for a legitimate "Let it Bleed" box.

No probs man.
I prefer The Beatles but I don't like Shabby Road or Let It Rot ! Bit too Wings for me.
The mono box has neither and I love it. I only miss I Want You (She's So Heavy) and The End.
I have not pre-ordered Shabby Road and certainly won't be buying Let It Bleed deluxe.
I would @#$%& love a quality 1960s Stones retrospective series.
Some things in life are an either or. As far as Beatles and Stones, I choose both because they were both @#$%& brilliant at what they did and what they did was different and complimentary to each other. Just as I like peak Brian Wilson (Pet Sounds / Smile) even more than the Fab 4. Without the Stones, I can't get no satisfaction but archivally speaking, how does Decca Stones compare to the 5cd Smile sessions or Dylan Live 66, complete studio 65/66, Basement Tapes or Pepper deluxe or White album deluxe ? Nowhere man.
The Stones should be right up there and it's the age old art vs. commerce / RKO vs. Welles situation.
Big shame especially given that we're 50+ years after the events at hand. It really is a crying shame that something couldn't be sorted out for Satanic, Beggars and Bleed...not to mention Aftermath / Could You Walk On The Water....4 brilliant box sets just waiting to happen.
Still no reason why ABKCO can't put some decent recording info. into their sets though. How difficult could that really be even if they can't smother us with out takes ?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 12, 2019 02:35

Just don’t buy it, that’ll teach ‘em!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 12, 2019 04:34

Yeah ... don't send ya kids ta school .. that'll teach 'em

ROCKMAN

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: September 12, 2019 10:09

This is what Rolling Stones manager Joyce Smyth said about this issue two years ago in a rare interview that seemed to have escaped a lot of people:

AND IS ACQUIRING THE PRE-’71 CATALOGUE FROM ABCKO SOMETHING YOU EXPLORE? SOMETHING THAT’S PERMANENTLY ON THE AGENDA?
Well, it would be lovely, wouldn’t it, to get those babies back. But it’s very complicated and probably I shouldn’t say more than that. Other than, yes, it would be lovely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-12 10:09 by paulspendel.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: September 12, 2019 10:55

ABKCO is not allowed to release inedit music, but can buy music the copyright of which is not owned by Rolling Stones Records/Promotone and mass-release it.
It's already happened twice: the expanded Ya-Ya and the BBC tapes.
Ya-Ya related is owned by the brothers Maysles and BBC owned the live tapes.
This means that the chance for ABKCO is to buy Granada Television's sound-track of Hyde Park 69, or BBC's Palladium 1967 or radio broadcasts from Europe 1 or others.

Surely, they're not good at making celebrative editions. Just to name one, I can't seen the reason why they've left blank the B-side of 'Sympathy For The Devil' bonus 12" instead of filling it with the rare alterate version of 'Street Fighting Man' available in Italy, New Zealand, USA and possibly other few countries.
On the other side, they've issued a wonderful full live 1965 show as bonus of 'Charlie Is My Darling'.

Being Ya-Ya already celebrated, LIB is the last one... unless they won't start with Stone Age...

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: September 12, 2019 11:34

1963luca0
Surely, they're not good at making celebrative editions. Just to name one, I can't seen the reason why they've left blank the B-side of 'Sympathy For The Devil' bonus 12"
instead of filling it with the rare alterate version of 'Street Fighting Man' available in Italy, New Zealand, USA and possibly other few countries.

Isn´t that the original/regular 1968 7" version?

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: September 12, 2019 13:43

Why didn't they at least release LIB with CS-blues as a bonus single? It was officially published by mistake on some german compilation in the '70's,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-12 13:44 by GetYerAngie.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 12, 2019 14:51

GetYerAngie
Why didn't they at least release LIB with CS-blues as a bonus single? It was officially published by mistake on some german compilation in the '70's,

Recorded after LIB was released.

But, they are including 1970 photos in the book, so sure, why not music too.

Date: September 12, 2019 15:34

I don't 'blame' ABCKO. Is 'blame' really the word to use?
It is always up to the Stones IMO. Wasn't there some grey areas for the exile release? When they went back to pre 70 recordings?
What makes the Stones' back catalog way more interesting than many other bands, who nevertheless put out great interesting box sets, is that they have a huge backlog of unreleased material; alternate versions etc.
Most other bands were not that prolific.

edit - and yes, they could kill two birds with one gigantic stone: get around the legalities, and put out a professionally recorded LIVe show from '69/70. (Besides Leeds)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-12 16:15 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: September 12, 2019 15:43

His Majesty
GetYerAngie

Yes, I know, that it was recorded af the release of LIB, but it would have been appropiate to include the last studio recording for Decca/ABKCO as a bonus on the last studio album.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: September 12, 2019 20:00

rootsman
1963luca0
Surely, they're not good at making celebrative editions. Just to name one, I can't seen the reason why they've left blank the B-side of 'Sympathy For The Devil' bonus 12"
instead of filling it with the rare alterate version of 'Street Fighting Man' available in Italy, New Zealand, USA and possibly other few countries.

The different alternate rough mix was released only on initial US copies, innItaly and in New Zealand. The most of the US singles play the ‘normal’ version.
One has to know the matrices to recognize the early US copies.

Date: September 12, 2019 20:04

GetYerAngie
His Majesty
GetYerAngie

Yes, I know, that it was recorded af the release of LIB, but it would have been appropiate to include the last studio recording for Decca/ABKCO as a bonus on the last studio album.

Even if The Stones were taking the piss at ABKCO by writing and recording that track? smiling smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 12, 2019 20:15

I always heard that Jody Klein was sympathetic towards Stones fans and willing to work with the band on certain things (40 Licks, etc.).

Not sure if that holds true.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: September 12, 2019 20:19

1963luca0
rootsman
1963luca0

The different alternate rough mix was released only on initial US copies, innItaly and in New Zealand. The most of the US singles play the ‘normal’ version.

Yes, but isn´t it the same as on the 2002 Singles Collection The London Years and the 2016 mono box?
That´s what I call the original/regular 7" version.
It was also released here in Sweden in 1968 (albeit in a UK export press).

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: September 12, 2019 20:43

rootsman
1963luca0
rootsman
1963luca0

Yes, but isn´t it the same as on the 2002 Singles Collection The London Years and the 2016 mono box?
That´s what I call the original/regular 7" version.
It was also released here in Sweden in 1968 (albeit in a UK export press).

I fail to get excited about that. I thought you talk about Pay Your Dues which is the exact same basic track with another set of lyrics. It's a topical antithesis to SFM. Wyman also mentioned that the song was called Primo Grande at first.

Date: September 12, 2019 23:48

I'm sure the Stones probably have some blame too - Mick never really seems to thrilled to go back to this stuff. I guess in defense of that though, most of these rarities have been around for years and probably because the Stones let some of them leak out, so I guess we should just be happy to have them although they are not as great sounding as they might be.

It sure is frustrating though to see those Beatles albums getting such amazing treatment and we get this lame release.

Date: September 13, 2019 00:17

DandelionPowderman
GetYerAngie
His Majesty
GetYerAngie

Even if The Stones were taking the piss at ABKCO by writing and recording that track? smiling smiley

Yes of course. Those to be offended are dead, aren't they? And it could have added a bit promotability, couldn't it?

Date: September 13, 2019 00:29

GetYerAngie
DandelionPowderman
GetYerAngie
His Majesty
GetYerAngie

Yes of course. Those to be offended are dead, aren't they? And it could have added a bit promotability, couldn't it?

Indeed. Would have been interesting to hear Jody's thoughts on that smiling smiley

Date: September 13, 2019 18:10

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-13 18:13 by GetYerAngie.

Date: September 13, 2019 18:13

DandelionPowderman
GetYerAngie
DandelionPowderman
GetYerAngie
His Majesty
GetYerAngie

Indeed. Would have been interesting to hear Jody's thoughts on that smiling smiley

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 13, 2019 18:41

Koen

That might send the wrong message. The message that the market for expanded, carefully researched, re-releases of "golden age" albums is dead.

The "wtf are you doing with these lame-@ss releases?" message is more potent imo.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 14, 2019 22:05

Lynd8
I'm sure the Stones probably have some blame too - Mick never really seems to thrilled to go back to this stuff. I guess in defense of that though, most of these rarities have been around for years and probably because the Stones let some of them leak out, so I guess we should just be happy to have them although they are not as great sounding as they might be.

It sure is frustrating though to see those Beatles albums getting such amazing treatment and we get this lame release.

I very much doubt that Dylan gets very involved in the Bootleg series (other than presumably having a final veto); likewise Paul and Ringo in respect of The Beatles archive releases.
So, Mick could easily get his Management team and some recording engineers to work on Stones material.
If Macca can delegate...I am sure Mick and Keith can.They would have the final word, after all (for post 71 material).

Date: September 14, 2019 23:02

jlowe
Lynd8

I very much doubt that Dylan gets very involved in the Bootleg series (other than presumably having a final veto); likewise Paul and Ringo in respect of The Beatles archive releases.
So, Mick could easily get his Management team and some recording engineers to work on Stones material.
If Macca can delegate...I am sure Mick and Keith can.They would have the final word, after all (for post 71 material).

Agree, Agree, Agree... Hiring somebody like us or an OCD engineer would be great.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: September 15, 2019 00:51

let me get in on this.
1. Eat Sh*t
2. Die
Mean Internet Complaint Hotline: 1-800-EAT-SH*T
Pay the Stones the Money You Owe Them.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 15, 2019 03:27

dcba
Koen

That might send the wrong message. The message that the market for expanded, carefully researched, re-releases of "golden age" albums is dead.

If they looked around they would soon realize that the market for expanded albums and box sets is just florishing madly. Consider the recent output of The Grateful Dead or King Crimson who literally throw hundreds of CDs at their customers. Like not just expanded albums but even complete tours. Even the Zappa Family Trust is just about to release the third or fourth box this year (Halloween 73), and yet another one is rumoured perhaps for Xmas (Hot Rats related). Then Dylan of course, and Neil Young opening his archives, and Gong, and Chicago, and possibly quite a few more that have escaped me. It almost appears as if they suddenly became aware that we folks who are the target group for such sets aren't getting any younger and they want to quickly sell us as much boxes as they can before we fall victim to dementia or hit the casket anyway.

If there's enough material in the ABKCO vaults it's outright stupid of them not to release a series of neat boxes.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 15, 2019 16:52

Abkco can released unreleased material they have done so with rock ‘n’ roll Circus. Both of beggars banquet and let it bleed releases are cash grabs. They suck! And as somebody stated above letters won’t help just don’t buy them . When they sell like shit they might figure it out.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 15, 2019 16:57

whitem8
... When they sell like shit [ABKCO] might figure it out.

In time for the 60th anniversary releases ... ?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1749
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home