Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Mick Jagger comments on climate changes
Date: September 11, 2019 19:08

MileHigh
“We are in a very difficult situation at the moment, especially in the US, where all the environmental controls that were put in place – that were just about adequate – have been rolled back by the current administration so much that they are being wiped out."

I haven't done the research but my gut instincts are telling me the above statement is bollocks. Environmental regulations have been in place since the early Seventies and if some of them were relaxed for whatever reasons it does not spell doom and gloom.

The reality is that we all consume very large amounts of energy to sustain our society. Making sure that things are viable and sustainable is a macro problem that requires a macro solution. Large-scale nukes, wind, and solar may be the long term macro solution, time will tell. You can have that second car and fly South for a vacation, that is not going to make a difference.

Er, it's the Paris agreement Mick is talking about. Trump pulled the US out. 195 other countries are collaborating to keep the increase in global average temperature to well below 2 °C above pre-industrial levels; and to limit the increase to 1.5 °C, since this would substantially reduce the risks and effects of climate change.

As far as I know, the US is the only nation that don't believe in this collaboration, with a climate change-denier at the helm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-11 19:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 11, 2019 19:27

The BBC ran this story last week. They're independent, have no political agenda and don't deal in 'fake nooz'. It's about Greenland's rapidly melting ice sheet and it has potential consequences which go far beyond Greenland.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-11 19:37 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: September 11, 2019 19:35

grzegorz67
The BBC ran this story last week. They're independent, have no political agenda and don't deal in 'fake nooz'.
I don't think I would bet on that

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 11, 2019 19:39

What I can't fathom is why Mick's remarks bother anyone. Simply put, it's a controversial issue so it's likely he holds and will express one of two opinions. If it's not the opinion you hold, why care? Do you live your life like Mick or Keith? Are you a junkie? Do you have sex with hundreds or thousands of people? Do you engage in sex with underage girls? Do you dabble in the occult? They have done all these things and likely a large number of Stones fans haven't. Why should social-political issues be any different? You're a fan, you're not picking them as a spouse. Do you honestly only speak to or work with people that think exactly like you? How is this any different?

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 11, 2019 19:42

grzegorz67
The BBC ran this story last week. They're independent, have no political agenda and don't deal in 'fake nooz'.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Good article, thank you for the link.
I read it.
All of it.
It contains a glaring contradiction that seems to be buried deep within:

"If the calculations of Jason Box and his colleagues are right,
the ice sheet is already crossing a threshold into an era in which there may still be years with net gains of ice - like last year -
but the new normal will see more big losses."

Free your mind and think.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 11, 2019 19:42

MileHigh
“We are in a very difficult situation at the moment, especially in the US, where all the environmental controls that were put in place – that were just about adequate – have been rolled back by the current administration so much that they are being wiped out."

I haven't done the research but my gut instincts are telling me the above statement is bollocks. Environmental regulations have been in place since the early Seventies and if some of them were relaxed for whatever reasons it does not spell doom and gloom.

The reality is that we all consume very large amounts of energy to sustain our society. Making sure that things are viable and sustainable is a macro problem that requires a macro solution. Large-scale nukes, wind, and solar may be the long term macro solution, time will tell. You can have that second car and fly South for a vacation, that is not going to make a difference.
People older than me (I was born in '78) can very well remember the dire state of the Hudson River, Lake Erie, and many other waterways in the '60s and '70s. Nixon signed the EPA into law (at the behest of pressure from the left) and the environment got noticeably cleaner over the last 50 years.

There are still plenty of environmental problems, but they would be orders of magnitude worse without safeguards in place. Why do you think industry lobbies millions of dollars to get regulations relaxed or eliminated?

To point out the window and say, "Look at how clean the sky is! We don't need the EPA anymore!" is the height of intellectual dishonesty.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 11, 2019 19:59

I love God.
I love my family.
I love the earth.
I love animals and clean water and clean air and I don't litter.
I love The Rolling Stones.
I love IORR.

I am a free thinker.
I do not like to labeled.

I do not believe in a climate crisis.

I am out.

Date: September 11, 2019 20:06

Kurt
grzegorz67

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Good article, thank you for the link.
I read it.
All of it.
It contains a glaring contradiction that seems to be buried deep within:

"If the calculations of Jason Box and his colleagues are right,
the ice sheet is already crossing a threshold into an era in which there may still be years with net gains of ice - like last year -
but the new normal will see more big losses."

Free your mind and think.

It's not really a contradiction. It says that some individual years will have net gains of ice but the longer term trend across multiple years is a net large loss of ice.

I'm open minded about most things and I really do hope the sceptics turn out to be right. I'm not an 'I told you so person'. Earth has far too much carbon dioxide in its atmosphere and that's what's causing the warming. Trees absorb it and if we can grow a lot more of them, that would help to keep things in balance. Unfortunately we're chopping them down and burning far too much fossil fuel.

I'm a free thinker with no slavish political affiliation and an atheist. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong about the latter btw!
Atheists can still have morals and I do, strong ones.
I can agree with a party on one issue and disagree on another.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-11 20:14 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: itsallovernow ()
Date: September 11, 2019 20:10

Kurt
I love God.
I love my family.
I love the earth.
I love animals and clean water and clean air and I don't litter.
I love The Rolling Stones.
I love IORR.

I am a free thinker.
I do not like to labeled.

I do not believe in a climate crisis.

I am out.

perfect!

Date: September 11, 2019 20:17

SomeGuy
grzegorz67
I don't think I would bet on that

They've certainly got individual journalists with agendas but the overall ethos of the organisation is supposed to be independent at least...

Date: September 11, 2019 20:22

Rocky Dijon
Do you honestly only speak to or work with people that think exactly like you? How is this any different?

Quite. I don't care what people's views or beliefs are. I respect their right to them just as I hope they would respect my right to mine. As long as they're decent people that's all that matters.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 11, 2019 20:26

Rocky Dijon
What I can't fathom is why Mick's remarks bother anyone. Simply put, it's a controversial issue so it's likely he holds and will express one of two opinions. If it's not the opinion you hold, why care? Do you live your life like Mick or Keith? Are you a junkie? Do you have sex with hundreds or thousands of people? Do you engage in sex with underage girls? Do you dabble in the occult? They have done all these things and likely a large number of Stones fans haven't. Why should social-political issues be any different? You're a fan, you're not picking them as a spouse. Do you honestly only speak to or work with people that think exactly like you? How is this any different?
At least two...I won't say which though smoking smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1472
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home