Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick Jagger comments on climate changes
Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: September 11, 2019 15:24

New Musical Express: Mick Jagger condemns Donald Trump and Boris Johnson for “lying” and “polarising” public

nme.com Tom Skinner Sep 8, 2019 5:34 pm BST

[www.nme.com]

d.f

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-11 16:54 by bv.

Re: Mick Jagger condemns Donald Trump and Boris Johnson for “lying” and “polarising” public
Date: September 11, 2019 15:27

This thread is full of discussion of that topic.

[iorr.org]

Re: Mick Jagger condemns Donald Trump and Boris Johnson for “lying” and “polarising” public
Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: September 11, 2019 15:32

Look at the T-Shirt Mick is wearing during "Atlantic City 89" he's been way ahead of most regarding Pollution and keeping the Planet Clean...

I've always been anti-pollution "Be A Tidy Kiwi" was a slogan when i was a kid in the early 1970's.

He isn't being overly political he's calling out what we all have heard and understand, "limit your refuse as best you can", take advantage of recycling

Date: September 11, 2019 15:35

DandelionPowderman
This thread is full of discussion of that topic.

[iorr.org]

You're right, Dandy. Hadn't really noted that, for there was such a lot of shouting to and fro in that other thread.

I merely found it remarkable that Mick finally makes such unheard of remarks at the age of 76. I don't recall he's made any such statements before, has he?

d.f

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 11, 2019 15:40

He's wisely avoided all comment on politics for most of his life but those are uncharacteristically strong words from him. I'm surprised.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 11, 2019 15:57

Finally letting it lose, if anyone can afford to do it, it's him...it could mean he won't be trying to sell overpriced tickets in the USA going forward too ;-)

Gotta Get a Grip !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: September 11, 2019 15:57

SKILLS
Look at the T-Shirt Mick is wearing during "Atlantic City 89".

Can you show a pic?

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: September 11, 2019 16:03

Not related to this topic but a fine read nevertheless: the March 1990 Playboy issue which features a yuge Trump interview:
[the-eye.eu]

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 11, 2019 16:19

I don't think you need to put those two words in the title in inverted commas. They are pretty much a given.

Posted by: itsallovernow ()
Date: September 11, 2019 16:24

I’m sorry ghat Mick feels the need to comment about our POTUS. He’d be well to stick to playing music. Sheesh.

Date: September 11, 2019 16:25

peoplewitheyes
I don't think you need to put those two words in the title in inverted commas. They are pretty much a given.

Sure. But I am the wrong address for your remark, for I've not put anything into inverted commas. I just quoted the New Musical Express. Please check the NME article. OK?

Posted by: Ruediger ()
Date: September 11, 2019 16:34

I have not found a pic of Mick in the t-shirt with the phrase "I am a tidy kiwi", but eventually a got a link to where this comes from:

[bandtogether.co.nz]

Rüdiger

Date: September 11, 2019 16:34

FrogSugar
Not related to this topic but a fine read nevertheless: the March 1990 Playboy issue which features a yuge Trump interview.

"Have some sympathy, (whoo whoo) and some taste (whoo whoo) ... "

Please, a 1990 (!) Playboy interview of that character has no business here.

d.f

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 11, 2019 16:35

itsallovernow
I’m sorry ghat Mick feels the need to comment about our POTUS. He’d be well to stick to playing music. Sheesh.

I agree. Bad move.

Date: September 11, 2019 16:38

Is he planning some sort of University tour? Berkley maybe?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 11, 2019 16:46

A reprise? My two cents? I don't think Sir Michael planned any statement. Since he was asked he felt obliged to answer. The protests surrounding the festival set the mode I guess.
He didn't dare to duck here. He said very little in fact. And it was quite uncontroversial. Except maybe for Trump followers in the USA.

Date: September 11, 2019 16:47

I call BS. He didn’t have to say anything. “No comment” would have sufficed.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 11, 2019 16:51

itsallovernow

If you see a crime then you may choose to ignore it, or you may comment. If someone asked me about the biggest crime of this century, the environmental destruction, then I would of course say my own opinion in that matter. Just like Mick did.

Bjornulf

Re: Mick Jagger comments on climate changes
Date: September 11, 2019 17:02

True. It’s really just pointless. Dont they have agents/managers/PR-people?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 11, 2019 17:04

Redhotcarpet
itsallovernow

I agree. Bad move.

Missed the quote where he directly commented on either "leader" despite the click-bait false headline.
Actually read or listen to his comments (responses actually), he criticizes policy and the polarization amongst people. Regardless of political persuasion, who would disagree?

“We are in a very difficult situation at the moment, especially in the US, where all the environmental controls that were put in place – that were just about adequate – have been rolled back by the current administration so much that they are being wiped out.

“The US should be the world leader in environmental control but now it has decided to go the other way.”

“In so many countries, including my own this last week… but particularly the US, it’s a bit of a sea change. It is not about manners,” he said.

“I don’t mean that manners are everything. But the combination of all these things, Jagger continued, adding that he’s worried “where all this polarisation and rudeness and lying [is going to lead us].”

These comments are facts that accurately describe our reality.
Acknowledging these realities shouldn't be seen as controversial. But as Mick accurately points out, there is unfortunately a lot of polarisation, lying and rudeness in today's political "climate". On both sides.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 11, 2019 17:25

So why are you here reading and commenting on a thread that you "couldn't care a less about", itsallovernow?

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 11, 2019 17:27

peoplewitheyes
So why are you here reading and commenting on a thread that you "couldn't care a less about", itsallovernow?
Well, "Dear Leader" must be defended at all costs. They take these sleights VERY personally, doncha know.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 11, 2019 17:38

May be if you live in a protected environment, then you don't see any climate changes. Those who live in Abaco Bahamas sure felt it quite bad, the strongest hurricane in the Atlantic ocean since 1935 (that is in 84 years...). Also, I live in Norway, we have glaciers, they are melting like crazy, same as in Alaska.

Alaskan glaciers melting 100 times faster than previously thought

Mick Jagger has always been a Street Fighting Man. He may be loaded with money, of course, but he does still care about Mother Earth.

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-11 17:39 by bv.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 11, 2019 18:21

itsallovernow

He wanted to ...and I'm glad he did.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 11, 2019 18:25

If one actually READS that article above, which I just did, one will learn about the study of Tidewater Glaciers.
Tidewater glaciers are NOT disappearing.

No reason for alarm.
Free your mind and think.

The tidewater glacier cycle is the typically centuries-long behavior of tidewater glaciers that consists of recurring periods of advance alternating with rapid retreat and punctuated by periods of stability. During portions of its cycle, a tidewater glacier is relatively insensitive to climate change.

And regarding that 1935 hurricane...
what caused it?

Free your mind and think.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-11 19:10 by Kurt.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 11, 2019 18:29

Well this thread has gone the way of the last and probably illustrates Mick's point. Polarisation. I am now fully aware that in the US whatever side people take on the Climate Change Issue seems to immediately define them as left or right on the political spectrum before they express any of their views on other issues.

Elsewhere in the World and please note that just over 95% of the World Human Population does not live in the US and are affected just as much, people are generally well aware of the climate change issue and often have a view but here in the UK at least, in the main it is has nothing whatsoever to do with their choice of Political Party. Belief or Non belief in man made Climate Change is, in the main, just as likely amongst left and right.

Here's a radical suggestion. Why don't people think for themselves and take a view on individual issues on their own merits based on their own ethics, knowledge and experience instead of slavishly following the party line of their party of choice and taking any criticism of it as deeply personal criticism of themselves?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-11 18:31 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: September 11, 2019 18:32

itsallovernow

some of us commend him for it.

Date: September 11, 2019 18:41

daspyknows
itsallovernow

some of us commend him for it.

im sorry for you

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: September 11, 2019 18:44

“We are in a very difficult situation at the moment, especially in the US, where all the environmental controls that were put in place – that were just about adequate – have been rolled back by the current administration so much that they are being wiped out."

I haven't done the research but my gut instincts are telling me the above statement is bollocks. Environmental regulations have been in place since the early Seventies and if some of them were relaxed for whatever reasons it does not spell doom and gloom.

The reality is that we all consume very large amounts of energy to sustain our society. Making sure that things are viable and sustainable is a macro problem that requires a macro solution. Large-scale nukes, wind, and solar may be the long term macro solution, time will tell. You can have that second car and fly South for a vacation, that is not going to make a difference.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 11, 2019 18:48

I think that's the difference between Europe and the USA. Climate has no party line here. Pretty much everyone is worried about the climate. What's the cause of the climate change is another question of course.
There there are different opinions. But we have very few deniers or protectionists over here. There are some but they tend to be on alt-right sites on the net, seldom voicing their opinion.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1435
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home