Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Let It Bleed 50th Anniversary Boxset
Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 20, 2019 00:54

jlowe
Of course here is another option.
The Stones simply re record their 60s material, whether released or still in the Archives.

Well, they had actually played with this idea in the past - that was when they "convinced" ABKCO to cooperate with them on reasonable financial terms on a compilation project that became "40 Licks" by threatening them to re-record the ABKCO material.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 20, 2019 04:35

jlowe
The Stones simply re record their 60s material, whether released or still in the Archives.

Maybe better though for the group to release some NEW material rather than upset ABKCO even more!

GOD NO.

Taylor Swift's material is relatively recent so to re-record it would be the same process essentially. Paul Simon's is poppy, perhaps easier to reproduce.

But The Stones old stuff is analogue. Re-recording it today would see them recording digitally I fear. Too clean, too precise for the old classic material. It would remove the menace, the grit and the very ideal of The Stones 60's music.

Even if Keith convinced Mick to re-record using tape, almost the "accidental magic" that WAS The Stones in the studio in the 60's would not be recreated. And COULD Keith play it anyway?

HORRIBLE IDEA.

Rod

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 20, 2019 11:15

jlowe

In case of 'Let It Bleed' they did: 'Country Honk' live in 2016 in front of the camera for the 'Olé Olé Olé' movie - and all other Tracks of 'Let It Bleed' many many times live in Concert .... winking smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 20, 2019 11:50

Stripped studio takes sounded quite good to me.

An interesting different take of the original.

C

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 20, 2019 12:06

I believe they played
= Let It Bleed
= Sticky Fingers
= Black And Blue
= Some Girls
entirely live at different occasions. Maybe - Out Of Our Heads too, but that is hard to prove as some of the tracks were done in 60s only.

Sticky Fingers Live was a nice try. But I do not think it is a good idea to re-record anew old material. They are 'functioning band' and suppose to give us new album winking smiley

Posted by: fzv98d ()
Date: November 21, 2019 15:40

I got my deluxe set yesterday. Pretty happy with it. The book is the star attraction. Like many others have commented, I wish there were some alternative versions but it was $100 so I still think it was worth it. I paid $250 for the Prince 1999 coming out in a few weeks. We will see how that stacks up.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: November 21, 2019 18:51

I'm still wondering if there is a tricked out book with the single CD edition or is it just your standard cd sleeve with that edition?

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 21, 2019 20:40

retired_dog
The Sicilian
Erik_Snow
retired_dog
[...] there's still the authors/composers whose copyright usually expires 75 years after their death and their respective publishing companies (ABKCO again in this case).

All in all, it's still a bit of a minefield and not as easy as it may look at first sight to become an "independent Stones archive entrepreneur"... You have to know exactly what you're doing and know this legal stuff in detail - otherwise you're facing serious trouble...

Thanks for explaining more clearly, retired dog

In other words, in addition of buying a record-presser, I'd also have to pay lawyers and other experts along the way....even Jagger and Keith!
Hmmm....the expenses would absorb the profits for me; the whole operation of mine would cave in, Jeez, what cynical and bureaucratic times we're living in

Back in 2011 the musicians won a copyright extension for 20 more years for royalties to at least the year 2033.

From The Guardian (Sept.12,2011)

[Musicians win copyright extension in court]

It wasn't a court decision, it was EU legislation that dealt with released recordings, not unreleased material.

Is an EU ruling honored in other countries as well?

Date: November 21, 2019 20:44

fzv98d
I got my deluxe set yesterday. Pretty happy with it. The book is the star attraction. Like many others have commented, I wish there were some alternative versions but it was $100 so I still think it was worth it. I paid $250 for the Prince 1999 coming out in a few weeks. We will see how that stacks up.

$100? I paid $200 (1900 norwegian kroner) sad smiley

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: November 21, 2019 21:56

In my opinion Sticky Fingers Live was more than just a nice try. For me it was fascinating to hear how they perform these iconic numbers today. I would love them to do exactly the same with their other major albums - Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Exile, Some Girls, Tattoo You et al. I cannot see why doing so would not be a good idea, as has been said by another contributor. Yes The Stones are a functioning band in the sense that they still play a lot of live gigs. But they are increasingly becoming a Greatest Hits band given their ongoing focus on warhorses. Performing entire albums live would merely be a different way of playing their back catalogue, while also giving us the pleasure of hearing songs they only play rarely, if at all.

Recording live versions of their legendary albums should not necessarily prevent them from recording another studio album, although as time goes by I become less and less confident they will ever do so. I may be wrong, and I hope I am. But for a band in the autumn of its life, I fully understand the impediments to recording another fully fledged album of new material. It would cost a lot. It would take a great deal of time, even if some of the work has already been done. It would be subject to the usual condescending and sarcastic comments about pension plans, cash grabs, and ego trips. And, sadly, it would almost certainly sell rather underwhelmingly, no matter how good it might be. Yes of course, those of us who love the band will buy it. But it would struggle to make any kind of worthwhile impact more widely. And that would be a shame.

The Stones deserve to go out with a bang, not a whisper.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 22, 2019 04:33

GerardHennessy
In my opinion Sticky Fingers Live was more than just a nice try. For me it was fascinating to hear how they perform these iconic numbers today. I would love them to do exactly the same with their other major albums - Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Exile, Some Girls, Tattoo You et al. I cannot see why doing so would not be a good idea, as has been said by another contributor. Yes The Stones are a functioning band in the sense that they still play a lot of live gigs. But they are increasingly becoming a Greatest Hits band given their ongoing focus on warhorses. Performing entire albums live would merely be a different way of playing their back catalogue, while also giving us the pleasure of hearing songs they only play rarely, if at all.

Recording live versions of their legendary albums should not necessarily prevent them from recording another studio album, although as time goes by I become less and less confident they will ever do so. I may be wrong, and I hope I am. But for a band in the autumn of its life, I fully understand the impediments to recording another fully fledged album of new material. It would cost a lot. It would take a great deal of time, even if some of the work has already been done. It would be subject to the usual condescending and sarcastic comments about pension plans, cash grabs, and ego trips. And, sadly, it would almost certainly sell rather underwhelmingly, no matter how good it might be. Yes of course, those of us who love the band will buy it. But it would struggle to make any kind of worthwhile impact more widely. And that would be a shame.

HA! INCREASINGLY!!!!!!!

Dude, they've been increasingly a greatest hits machine since 1989!

Posted by: fzv98d ()
Date: November 22, 2019 15:34

Here's where I got mine for $100. [www.popmarket.com]

Let It Bleed Deluxe

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 22, 2019 20:20

fzv98d

Let It Bleed Deluxe

That site has great deals - I paid apprx. $100 for the massive Beatles Mono Box set several years ago (my second copy) which is over half the going price (then and now).
As for Let it Bleed 50th, now even Amazon (US) has it available for $101.

Let It Bleed Deluxe 50th Anniversary Edition

Still haven't bought it, but at this price very tempting.
Maybe the price will continue to drop.....

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 22, 2019 20:44

fzv98d

Let It Bleed Deluxe
Yeah, right...
Now add overseas S&H according to USPS price list, approximately 20% of IVA on top of it and some import taxes to European Union and you'll get something pretty much close to 150-170 Euros. And this is regular price in the record shops on this side of the Pond.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: November 23, 2019 12:43

If disappointment is your goal, try with standard EU vinyl... very poor effort without poster (why?)

Date: November 24, 2019 02:24

1963luca0
If disappointment is your goal, try with standard EU vinyl... very poor effort without poster (why?)

What's standard EU vinyl?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 24, 2019 11:55

DandelionPowderman
1963luca0

What's standard EU vinyl?

Probably the single standard LP: [www.Amazon.co.uk] .

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: November 24, 2019 20:14

GasLightStreet
GerardHennessy

HA! INCREASINGLY!!!!!!!

Dude, they've been increasingly a greatest hits machine since 1989!

No argument from me whatsoever on that...

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: November 26, 2019 01:56

DandelionPowderman
Bashlets
Maybe it’s my aging ears but I thought the sound on this was really good. Better than 2002 I guess is up for debate but I cranked up both the vinyl and stereo sacd and danced the whole way through. Yup, caved for the $100 box. I’m usually a pretty logical guy but with the stones logic goes out the window and I purchase purely on emotion. Been that way since I was 10 and saw the stones on Dick Cavett show in 1972. It’s an illness and addiction that will last until my dying breath.

These reissues all have excellent sound. TSMR and BB were fabulous. Will get LIB soon.

Took a chance based on your post, DP. You are correct!! Cheers and thanks!

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: November 28, 2019 19:35

Just got mine today. Fantastic sound. Expensive, but I have no regrets.

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: November 30, 2019 22:24

What a bargain.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: December 1, 2019 20:19

Have read people generally please with the sound - it is Brickwalled or is it genuinely well done? I thought TSMR 50th was damn good, hopefully LIB is too.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: December 1, 2019 20:35

Has anybody found the green vinyl edition? I pre-ordered a copy that I’ve not received, yet. Thanks for caring,Luca

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 1, 2019 20:42

1963luca0, still no news on the pre-order for me, though I read some people got shipment notification. IrelandCalling4, I checked for brickwalling using Nero Wave Editor and it looks good, also used Spek to check the Khz, it's way up there, a good thing. Overall a great release sound wise.

Date: December 1, 2019 22:46

bleedingman
DandelionPowderman
Bashlets
Maybe it’s my aging ears but I thought the sound on this was really good. Better than 2002 I guess is up for debate but I cranked up both the vinyl and stereo sacd and danced the whole way through. Yup, caved for the $100 box. I’m usually a pretty logical guy but with the stones logic goes out the window and I purchase purely on emotion. Been that way since I was 10 and saw the stones on Dick Cavett show in 1972. It’s an illness and addiction that will last until my dying breath.

These reissues all have excellent sound. TSMR and BB were fabulous. Will get LIB soon.

Took a chance based on your post, DP. You are correct!! Cheers and thanks!

thumbs up

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: December 2, 2019 00:33

Compare prices here:
[www.superdeluxeedition.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 2, 2019 05:20

schwonek
Compare prices here:
[www.superdeluxeedition.com]

Never did see them at those great prices. A lot higher now and even leading up to release.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 17, 2019 11:02

Just received the memorial edition now.
I can't sleep tonight.
Will keep listening through the night in celebration of Keith's birthday.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 18, 2019 07:16

I wish the set came with little plastic figures of the Rolling Stones like on the cake.

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 18, 2019 09:59

……. … gimmie cake and pizza ….

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1868
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home