Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT, Piece De Resistance, Bruce Springsteen E Street Band Passaic, NJ
Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: September 9, 2019 21:48

Wondering how many of you have that incredible bootleg? Last Friday is official!
Awsome night! [www.dirtyrock.info]

Carlitos
Tenerife

Re: OT, Piece De Resistance, Bruce Springsteen E Street Band Passaic, NJ
Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: September 9, 2019 22:28

I still have the cassettes i recorded of the live wnew fm broadcast

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: September 9, 2019 22:41

I have it. Downloaded the show several years ago.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: September 9, 2019 23:14

I bought on vinyl years and years ago. This sounds so much better

I wish our favourite band were as prolific at releases ......

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 9, 2019 23:38

It's a great performance and 1978 was one of their best touring years. During that concert, which has been played on E Street Radio (Sirius XM) numerous times is worth the purchase. They do a 20 minute break after set 1. (not recorded , of course!).

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 9, 2019 23:45

its real good. i was lucky & saw that tour at the beginning & the end. still some of the best rock shows i've ever seen. bruce is a very underrated guitar player & he was letting it fly back then.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 10, 2019 10:02

Got the black box vinyl. My favourite record (boot or otherwise) by anyone...period. Picked up the box from a second hand clothes shop on Stirling Highway in Claremont, Perth decades ago for $10. They had NO idea what they had in that bin of vinyl! All still in near-pristine condition bar a small tear on the lid of the box on one corner. Records though are in FANTASTIC nick. Can't recall the number on the box, somewhere in the 3000's I think. It's my pride and joy and whenever my brother in law comes over from Sydney on holiday he wants me to "just get that box out and play those mothers!"

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-10 11:10 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 10, 2019 11:28

bitusa2012
Got the black box vinyl. My favourite record (boot or otherwise) by anyone...period. Picked up the box from a second hand clothes shop on Stirling Highway in Claremont, Perth decades ago for $10. They had NO idea what they had in that bin of vinyl! All still in near-pristine condition bar a small tear on the lid of the box on one corner. Records though are in FANTASTIC nick. Can't recall the number on the box, somewhere in the 3000's I think. It's my pride and joy and whenever my brother in law comes over from Sydney on holiday he wants me to "just get that box out and play those mothers!"

I was 17 in 1978. Toward the beginning of the tour, Bruce played the Paramount in Seattle. Approx 2500 seats give or take. I had really good seats about the middle of the floor. My first Bruce show. Unbelievable. Reference the Roxy show from 1978 for good idea of setlist. "Spirit in the Night" was about third song & Bruce & Clarence strolled up the middle aisle during the song right by my seat. Sold! Then toward the end of the tour (reference Winterland) they came back. A totally epic show in a slightly larger venue (approx 4000). I got 7th row. At the end of the night, Bruce & band came back after lights were on. A lot of people had left. Said this was for the die hard crazies & played "Rave On" & "Twist & Shout". Then trashed the stage. It was epic. I saw 2 good arena shows on the first River tour also. In Seattle, Bruce came out in the crowd & stood on the chair right in front of me & sang. I got a high five immediately before he ran back to the stage. I've been hit & miss with him since but I will say the show he did here on the anniversary River tour was pretty phenomenal. Exceeded expectations as they say. The 1978 tour is the one that will stick with me though. Was a good year. I saw the Stones for the first time also between the 2 Bruce shows. If I thought about it, I'm sure I could come up with a few other good ones that year!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 10, 2019 15:35

crholmstrom
bitusa2012

I was 17 in 1978. Toward the beginning of the tour, Bruce played the Paramount in Seattle. Approx 2500 seats give or take. I had really good seats about the middle of the floor. My first Bruce show. Unbelievable. Reference the Roxy show from 1978 for good idea of setlist. "Spirit in the Night" was about third song & Bruce & Clarence strolled up the middle aisle during the song right by my seat. Sold! Then toward the end of the tour (reference Winterland) they came back. A totally epic show in a slightly larger venue (approx 4000). I got 7th row. At the end of the night, Bruce & band came back after lights were on. A lot of people had left. Said this was for the die hard crazies & played "Rave On" & "Twist & Shout". Then trashed the stage. It was epic. I saw 2 good arena shows on the first River tour also. In Seattle, Bruce came out in the crowd & stood on the chair right in front of me & sang. I got a high five immediately before he ran back to the stage. I've been hit & miss with him since but I will say the show he did here on the anniversary River tour was pretty phenomenal. Exceeded expectations as they say. The 1978 tour is the one that will stick with me though. Was a good year. I saw the Stones for the first time also between the 2 Bruce shows. If I thought about it, I'm sure I could come up with a few other good ones that year!
Great stories! I wish I could have seen him back in the day.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: September 11, 2019 01:25

I listened to the DSD HD version of it today, it was beyond amazing quality!

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: September 11, 2019 01:35

Got the 3 CD version from Great Dane Records (GDR CD 9015)

Per Arne

Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: September 11, 2019 05:38

I just tracked this down and bought it.It's called "PASSAIC NIGHT" - The Classic New Jersey Broadcast 1978.I can't wait to listen to it. Following is an interesting and informative review by Scott W.Stoddard

So much has been said about the incredible five live broadcasts of the “Darkness” tour that you can find and read material about them for years! I was lucky enough to hear these broadcasts on FM radio (and tape them of course!) or purchase bootleg LPs of those not played live over L.A. airwaves, or barter & trade cassettes with other fans. How times have changed! To be able to buy these shows, with their superior sound to bootlegs, and not out of some guy’s car trunk in a Hollywood or Venice alley or from the back room of an indy record store on Melrose in hush-hush, cash only deals is great!

The complete set of five shows, in order are:
1. The Roxy: 7-7-1978, Los Angeles, CA.
2. The Agora: 8-9-1978, Cleveland, OH.
3. Capitol Theatre: 9-19-1978, Passaic, N.J.
4. Fox Theatre: 9-30-1978. Atlanta, GA.
5. Winterland: 12-15-1978, San Francisco, CA.

A correction to the track listing on “Passaic Night” (released as “Piece de Resistance” on LP and later by Crystal Cat under the PN title): This current release lists bonus tracks 8-12 on disc 3 as from The Roxy broadcast. This is not entirely correct. I recorded the Roxy show (KMET-FM) and tracks 10-12 are indeed from The Roxy but tracks 8-9 were not in that set nor do they appear in the other four 1978 broadcasts listed above. Crystal Cat lists their origin as from the show two nights later, Capitol Theatre, Passaic, N.J. on 9-21-1978.

My favorites of the five are of course Roxy, L.A. (since I live here) and Passaic. The extended intros to “Prove it All Night” and “Because the Night” make those song performances superior to others sans the intros. Also, what is listed as “Sad Eyes” added to “Backstreets” is really an early working of what later would become “Drive All Night” on The River. We all called Sad Eyes because no one knew the actual name. NOTE: This is not the same song “Sad Eyes” contained in the Tracks boxed set. Also, Winterland has a great live version of “The Fever”. As with Springsteen shows, none of these are identical sets.
Five Stars on all counts!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 11, 2019 06:12

This new official multitrack mix is a significant improvement over the various bootlegs I've had over the last 40+ years. Guitars up, piano down, greater clarity.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: September 12, 2019 12:25

The KMET comments from the announcer at the end:

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1900
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home