Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Is that it for 'Deluxe Bonus' albums?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 6, 2019 23:19

The bonus cuts from Some Girls, Exile, and alternate Sticky Fingers, were the best released Stones cuts for years. Is the vault empty? Or were they only done because the Stones were dormant, and Mick wanted to keep the band's legacy alive? We got nothing from ABKCO. Their Beggar's Banquet release was a joke. People have whispered that an expanded Let it Bleed was coming, but nothing happened.

Re: Is that it for 'Deluxe Bonus' albums?
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 6, 2019 23:37

well, has ABKCO any rights on stuff that hasn't been released before?

Date: September 6, 2019 23:54

24FPS
The bonus cuts from Some Girls, Exile, and alternate Sticky Fingers, were the best released Stones cuts for years. Is the vault empty? Or were they only done because the Stones were dormant, and Mick wanted to keep the band's legacy alive? We got nothing from ABKCO. Their Beggar's Banquet release was a joke. People have whispered that an expanded Let it Bleed was coming, but nothing happened.

Ya Yas Deluxe also deserves a mention.

There were talks about a Tattoo You Deluxe, according to David Fricke in Rolling Stone Magazine, but nothing happened.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: September 7, 2019 00:11

I liked the Exile set. SG was good but could have been so much better... SF could have been MUCH better. It seems like they put less effort into each one. If they can't be bothered, They should just release the tracks with re-recorded vocals and fixes etc..- especially the great 60's stuff.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 7, 2019 05:59

24FPS
The bonus cuts from Some Girls, Exile, and alternate Sticky Fingers, were the best released Stones cuts for years. Is the vault empty?

The way things look, once the new album is out there'll be 30+ tracks lurking in the vault, waiting to be bonus tracks ... grinning smiley

Date: September 7, 2019 06:12

doitywoik
24FPS
The bonus cuts from Some Girls, Exile, and alternate Sticky Fingers, were the best released Stones cuts for years. Is the vault empty?

The way things look, once the new album is out there'll be 30+ tracks lurking in the vault, waiting to be bonus tracks ... grinning smiley

Yeah, like anyone is itching for bonus tracks after 1990.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 7, 2019 07:40

Lynd8
I liked the Exile set. SG was good but could have been so much better... SF could have been MUCH better. It seems like they put less effort into each one. If they can't be bothered, They should just release the tracks with re-recorded vocals and fixes etc..- especially the great 60's stuff.

A lot of SF leftovers are on EOMS.

The Stones, or UMe, could release things online alone. Hard copies will always be way more expensive. That's become a niche market ie not profitable. Who will pay $40+ for a vinyl reissue of TATTOO YOU or GOATS HEAD SOUP?

It's extremely limited. The days of that mattering left long ago.

Let's look at it this way: if GOATS HEAD SOUP with extras was released as a deluxe package featuring previously unreleased material, in the old skool mentality, a single of some sort would need to be released to radio stations... and they might play it for a week. It just wouldn't garner interest outside of what, about 50,000 people?

If they reissued EMOTIONAL RESCUE with extras etc it would possibly be hyped as their longest running number one album ever... and it would probably sell about the same.

TATTOO YOU? It's the last album they have left to plunder. It might sell decently enough across the board ala SOME GIRLS and EXILE.

That would probably be it.

The days of their albums being reissued with ABC are gone. I wouldn't be surprised at all of SG was the last one to be reissued with bonus tracks.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: September 7, 2019 09:49

Tattoo you?...was it not already a album of extras or outtakes anyway.. cant be anything left...but a shame as it is a fantastic album..have a bootleg and its just alternate versions rather than anything new...hope i'm wrong as its always a thrill to hear something from the studio

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 7, 2019 10:38

GasLightStreet
Lynd8

A lot of SF leftovers are on EOMS.

The Stones, or UMe, could release things online alone. Hard copies will always be way more expensive. That's become a niche market ie not profitable. Who will pay $40+ for a vinyl reissue of TATTOO YOU or GOATS HEAD SOUP?

It's extremely limited. The days of that mattering left long ago.

Let's look at it this way: if GOATS HEAD SOUP with extras was released as a deluxe package featuring previously unreleased material, in the old skool mentality, a single of some sort would need to be released to radio stations... and they might play it for a week. It just wouldn't garner interest outside of what, about 50,000 people?

If they reissued EMOTIONAL RESCUE with extras etc it would possibly be hyped as their longest running number one album ever... and it would probably sell about the same.

TATTOO YOU? It's the last album they have left to plunder. It might sell decently enough across the board ala SOME GIRLS and EXILE.

That would probably be it.

The days of their albums being reissued with ABC are gone. I wouldn't be surprised at all of SG was the last one to be reissued with bonus tracks.

You're absolutely correct. People expecting lavish deluxe editions of every single album are going to be very disappointed. That said, there's probably some scope for a one-off anthology of unreleased tracks. I did an entirely amateur sweep of YouTube and there's at least 2x CDs worth of material. There are numerous tracks from SG and ER that could be rebranded as "Studio Sessions".

For a band not far off its 60th anniversary, I'm making the assumption that they have access to a significant archive of unreleased audio and video in various states of completion. Trawling through decades of tapes will be a slow process. Who has the time? They clearly want to focus on being an active live band and not have too much emphasis on the past.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 7, 2019 10:39

24FPS

Beggars was perhaps a joke in terms of content... but the Abbey road remaster to vinyl resulted, to my ears, in the best sound for this album short of a mint original pressing.

When you consider how they worked at Olympic and elsewhere between '68 and '70 to produce BB, LIB & SF...and knowing how the band worked to create product ...it's clear that you often couldn't really identify left over stuff as belonging to any one of those albums as opposed to the others ...

Asside from any interesting alternate takes , any "bonus material" from that period would probably constitute a kind of "Metamorphosis Volume II".

The SG bonus material is maybe a different animal altogether...

For me it's a fantastic album in its own right, with it's own distinct vibe and able to stand on its own feet.

[All the above said....there are a lot of well known boots out there which, with a bit of official TLC, could be made into some really nice product !]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-07 10:45 by Spud.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: September 7, 2019 10:45

...these deluxe albums seems soldout on Amazon...!?...and everywhere....!?

Date: September 7, 2019 10:53

jp.M

They are all on Spotify, though.

Date: September 7, 2019 10:56

jp.M

That's because hard copy releases these days have very limited production runs... and don't tend to stay in print thereafter unless a specific demand is perceived.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: September 7, 2019 12:02

...so they are collectors now....!

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: September 7, 2019 12:21

jp.M
...so they are collectors now....!

well, for a few collectors, in a few years a lot of those boxes won't be as valuable as they are now.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: September 7, 2019 14:34

Personally I expect a Deluxe version of Emotional Rescue, of that period there is so much good and excellent material, there are many bootlegs to testify it.

Date: September 7, 2019 14:56

Testify
Personally I expect a Deluxe version of Emotional Rescue, of that period there is so much good and excellent material, there are many bootlegs to testify it.

I think that those were intended for TY Deluxe, as many of the TY-songs were recorded in those sessions.

Date: September 7, 2019 15:02

jp.M

I got them all sealed for about $50 on ebay a year or so after each was released

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 7, 2019 15:07

Release the sponge job tapes of Ry Cooder! grinning smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 7, 2019 15:30

Testify

Unfortunately, its hardly a 'landmark' album that justifies such a release from a commercial point of view.

I think theyve exhausted the 'deluxe albums' format unless ABKCO finally come to their senses and put out something from Beggars Banquet (an opportunity already missed) or Let It Bleed.

Personally I think because of the way they make records, as outlined by Spud a few posts back, it makes more sense to put out multiple disc releases covering certain periods in the band's history, ie 1968-71, 1977-81 etc.

Date: September 7, 2019 16:06

Gazza
Testify

Unfortunately, its hardly a 'landmark' album that justifies such a release from a commercial point of view.

I think theyve exhausted the 'deluxe albums' format unless ABKCO finally come to their senses and put out something from Beggars Banquet (an opportunity already missed) or Let It Bleed.

Personally I think because of the way they make records, as outlined by Spud a few posts back, it makes more sense to put out multiple disc releases covering certain periods in the band's history, ie 1968-71, 1977-81 etc.

True, ER, and GHS are not landmark albums. And it is only psychos like us, who know, and appreciate the outtakes from both those album. Both ER and GHS have very strong material left on the cutting floor.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 7, 2019 17:12

Interestingly, they've seen fit to release a lot of concert albums, multiple vinyls, expensive packages that must be selling to some extent or they wouldn't keep doing it.

From that perspective, and as studio albums generally outsell concert albums, it would seem that a bonus deluxe release of ER, GHS or Tattoo You would be a no-brainer. The way they price them, sure they are niche, but they have to be making money.

If they can justify a Keith Richards deluxe box from a sales perspective, then a Rolling Stones deluxe, from a sales perspective, has to be viable.

Date: September 7, 2019 17:48

ukcal
Tattoo you?...was it not already a album of extras or outtakes anyway.. cant be anything left...but a shame as it is a fantastic album..have a bootleg and its just alternate versions rather than anything new...hope i'm wrong as its always a thrill to hear something from the studio

Since TATTOO YOU was strictly leftovers that needed to be finished, it's reasonable that more than what is on the album was worked on, and it's reasonable that more than that was selected as possibilities.

As far as what's known, Mick worked on Black Limo, Heaven, Neighbours, Slave, Tops, Worried About You and No Use In Crying in the fall of 1980 over two sessions in Paris, which included working on tracks for SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES (apparently mixing Dance 2 and editing tracks that essentially turned them into B-side shortened edits, which oddly did not happen when Fool To Cry and Crazy Mama were released on 45).

The EMOTIONAL RESCUE sessions started in 1978 at RCA studios after the SOME GIRLS tour, which resulted in Where The Boys Go and Tallahassee Lassie, which somehow was included on the SOME GIRLS extra disc, which pretty much says they didn't give the SG sessions an even half way decent look over.

Perhaps Not The Way To Go was thought of for TATTOO YOU.

The second EMOTIONAL RESCUE sessions started in early 1979 and gave us Little T&A and I Think I'm Going Mad. It would be reasonable to think there are some songs from these Nassau, Bahamas Compass Point sessions that would've been tapped for working on for TATTOO YOU.

In the summer the band was back in Paris and that's where a ton of work got done for EMOTIONAL RESCUE and provided more tracks for TATTOO YOU. Of all that appeared to have been recorded, all but 6 tracks were not released, with one of them eventually being released on the SOME GIRLS extra disc. It was these sessions that gave us Down In The Hole, Emotional Rescue, Dance, Let Me Go, Indian Girl, Summer Romance, Heaven, Neighbours, Where The Boys Go - quite productive sessions.

It's reasonable that one or two of the 6 leftovers were considered for TATTOO YOU.

Of course there's more leftovers that may've been considered from GOATS HEAD SOUP, IORR (although apparently nothing was chosen to work on from that one), BLACK AND BLUE and a ton of tracks from SOME GIRLS.

We may never know. I would hope Not The Way To Go, The Way She Held Me Tight/Misty Roads, I Need You, Fiji Jim, Munich Hilton/Rotten Roll, What Gives You The Right and Never Let Her Go were contenders.

Hearing a track such as Up Against The Wall and then the rest of those blues tracks on the SOME GIRLS extras, those are them just screwing around. I wouldn't be so pissed off about those tracks that pollute the SG extras if the ones just above this would've been included.

Which gets back to what someone said, maybe Gazza, that instead of doing a TATTOO YOU deluxe (which, at this point seeing how someone doesn't pay attention to timelines, they might include tracks from UNDERCOVER or even more silly, DIRTY WORK), just do SESSIONS 1972-1979 with however many songs to fit on how ever many would-be discs.

Date: September 7, 2019 18:23

There may be plenty of this raw material in the locker...

...but they aren't very likely to start knocking that into any shape when they've struggled to find any time to work on the infamously anticipated new album !

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 7, 2019 20:06

I'm not sure how much stuff is there in the vault that could justifiably be released just the way it is. It doesn't really seem that there are lots of songs that are ready-produced and were just left off some album because they didn't fit, or the like. Considering the bonus discs of EOMS and SG, it seems that whatever was fit to release got released on the original albums. Aside from academic interest, I wonder if I really need to hear every try at something or every warm-up or every two-chord change that goes on for 20 mintes and only happened to be recorded because the tapes were rolling all the time.

Considering what seems to be their way of working in more recent decades (i.e. Mick pulling previously written songs out of his bag and Keith rather fooling around in the studio until something happens) and the fact that they no longer spend months in a studio, I would rather find it surprising if any major finds are to be made, apart from some raw sketches.

The situation might be different regarding the album-in-progress because it seems that there has already been some quite worked-out stuff pre-brickwall that was then discarded. Of course we don't know if those purportedly 40-something songs so far recorded for the new album are really more or less finished recordings they only need to choose from and perhaps add some finishing touches or if most of them are still just sketches or rough demos.

Date: September 7, 2019 22:40

doitywoik
I'm not sure how much stuff is there in the vault that could justifiably be released just the way it is. It doesn't really seem that there are lots of songs that are ready-produced and were just left off some album because they didn't fit, or the like. Considering the bonus discs of EOMS and SG, it seems that whatever was fit to release got released on the original albums. Aside from academic interest, I wonder if I really need to hear every try at something or every warm-up or every two-chord change that goes on for 20 mintes and only happened to be recorded because the tapes were rolling all the time.

It may happen... but with the prudentness of being edited to not go on for 20 minutes.

Date: September 7, 2019 23:09

Testify

ER??? There's like 4 good cuts on the whole thing.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 7, 2019 23:16

24FPS
Testify

ER??? There's like 4 good cuts on the whole thing.

stop

Date: September 8, 2019 00:49

doitywoik
I'm not sure how much stuff is there in the vault that could justifiably be released just the way it is.

That doesn't matter. These were very successful.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: September 8, 2019 03:03

GasLightStreet
doitywoik
I'm not sure how much stuff is there in the vault that could justifiably be released just the way it is.

That doesn't matter. These were very successful.

And they are amazing. Number 3 is one of my favourite albums. It spent an entire summer on the BBQing playlist.

This format that they established here is the template imo, studio chatter, stuff ups scattered among alt versions, early beginnings, different lyrics etc etc

I'd love to see something like this issued as era's

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1768
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home