Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Mick Jagger Solo Albums to be re-issued By Universal
Date: November 6, 2019 18:32

retired_dog
Rocky Dijon
Palace Revolution 2000
I don't quite agree Rocky re. STB reference. But since the thought comes from you I had to ponder it a while.

Kind of you, but my opinions on a good day are worth as much as anyone else's. I can't hear "Undercover of the Night" without thinking how Ronnie is playing part of "Sympathy for the Devil." Different songs strike people differently.

As for GITD, the ones I like quite a bit are Dancing in the Starlight, Hideaway, Lucky Day, Too Far Gone, and Blue. I actively dislike Visions of Paradise, Joy (apart from the guitar), and God Gave Me Everything (way too much Lenny Kravitz noise for me). I can take or leave Don't Call Me Up, Goddess in the Doorway, Everybody Getting High, Gun, Brand New Set of Rules, and If Things Could Be Different. I wish What's Left of Me had been released with Mick's vocals and I wish there was a version of Nothing But the Wheel with just Mick singing. Those are actually my favorites of Mick in 2001. None of them can touch You Win Again by Keith, though. Still a Fool by Keith from the same period is also very good. I would have loved an album of minimalist rootsy music from Keith with George on drums and Fraboni producing. A pity it never materialized. Studio L had something special going.

Hah! That's what I always wished for too - and what would be a perfect candidate for my "Save A Bigger Bang" dreamworld project from the other thread.

The quality of that track is lightyears above the rest on (saved, shaved or not) ABB, imo. Add Too Close Together while you're at it.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: November 6, 2019 22:38

Micks released stuff suffers from the studio for me if you know what i mean BUT are there any outtakes that are more organic, live, natural. 3 words i don't naturally think of with his stuff.
He's got it in him. stuff like too many cooks (i know its 70s) the bonus music he added to, the stones B&B, and plundered my soul shows that he can cut music thats organic, live, natural and decent.

Is there any outtake solo stuff thats like this, or even just him singing on ac, or singn and playn mouthorgan?

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 7, 2019 00:11

Date: November 10, 2019 14:44

Rocky Dijon
I'm never comfortable blaming collaborators. I've picked on Matt Clifford mercilessly through the years, but some of his work with the Stones or Mick solo is terrific (STEEL WHEELS and Angel in My Heart, the live arrangement of Play with Fire, Hideaway, Rain Fall Down). Don Was' productions are so different from one another that I can't say he's the wrong producer. I would have liked to have heard him tackle STEEL WHEELS to be honest. I'm also aware that there are times he is anything but a "yes man" and has pissed off either Mick or Keith, but not enough to cut ties. The same with Chuck. I like some of Mick's work with Dave Stewart quite a bit (Throwaway, Kow Tow, Old Habits, Blind Leading the Blind, Warring People), but I have no sense if that is because of Dave or in spite of him. I tend to think it's unfair to say in spite of him.

I am very comfortable blaming Dave Stewart winking smiley

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 10, 2019 23:06

What's interesting is that these appear to be vinyl reissues only. The albums remain out of print on CD apart from remaining catalog editions from 1993!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 11, 2019 00:51

Rocky Dijon
What's interesting is that these appear to be vinyl reissues only. The albums remain out of print on CD apart from remaining catalog editions from 1993!

Maybe because hardly anyone bought them? Probably would be a waste of time to reissue them on CD.

The vinyl come back is hilarious, especially considering the ridiculous prices of a lot of the releases.

Date: November 11, 2019 01:46

GasLightStreet
Maybe because hardly anyone bought them? Probably would be a waste of time to reissue them on CD.

The vinyl comeback is hilarious, especially considering the ridiculous prices of a lot of the releases.

Most physical reissues are limited in sales, but Keith still received CD reissues this year for his first two solo studio albums. Allegedly HOLLYWOOD PALLADIUM is following next year.

As for vinyl, I would add the fact that many vinyl reissues are also brickwalled to the pricing consideration. My seventeen year old is buying vinyl as well as CDs and streaming. I don't understand the criteria for selecting which media to purchase.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 11, 2019 11:05

Rocky Dijon

There was also a reissue (remastered in 2015) as HiRes-Download (44.1kHz/24bit): [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

Date: November 11, 2019 20:47

Those were streaming only. They are an improvement, but there's been no CD remaster ever. The 1993 Atlantic CDs were the same dreadful CBS editions with new labels slapped on.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 11, 2019 23:43

Rocky Dijon
Those were streaming only. They are an improvement, but there's been no CD remaster ever. The 1993 Atlantic CDs were the same dreadful CBS editions with new labels slapped on.

Only an improvement of sorts imo - if one tries hard enough to hear a sound upgrade because one has paid again for the HiRes-Downloads after purchasing the original CDs, it's probably notable. Just like the new Talk Is Cheap where the difference is only minor imo - but that one at least has some bonus material.

Usually remastered editions of recordings from the last three or four decades are pretty pointless in my book, unlike older analog stuff when they use better master tapes.

Apart from that, I only buy stuff again when there's "more music & improved sound", but without any bonus material the sound must be noticably better, not just more compression and different EQ settings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-11 23:44 by retired_dog.

Date: November 12, 2019 01:05

<Just like the new Talk Is Cheap where the difference is only minor imo>

I'm sure you noticed the different (way softer) drum sound?

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 12, 2019 05:01

DandelionPowderman

But wasn't that apparent on the MFSL CD from way back then already? Because that's the version I listened to through all these years - as I considered it having a lot "warmer" or more "natural" sound in general (not only Steve's a bit unnerving drum sound) compared to the Virgin original.

But maybe something escaped my old ears, maybe I should listen and compare again.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 12, 2019 09:55

GasLightStreet
The vinyl come back is hilarious, especially considering the ridiculous prices of a lot of the releases.

People are buying them and enjoying them......and It doesn't really matter why.

So What other justification does it need ?grinning smiley

[...and the cost of a typical new vinyl album today isn't too bad ...

...it's just these fancy deluxe packages that cost silly money.
I do get annoyed when they don't give you the option of just buying the remastered original LP, with no extra candy and at a normal price.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-12 10:00 by Spud.

Date: November 12, 2019 10:16

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman

But wasn't that apparent on the MFSL CD from way back then already? Because that's the version I listened to through all these years - as I considered it having a lot "warmer" or more "natural" sound in general (not only Steve's a bit unnerving drum sound) compared to the Virgin original.

But maybe something escaped my old ears, maybe I should listen and compare again.

Could be. I have only listened to the original (LP and CD), and noticed the difference immediately when the Deluxe-release came out. Hm, so there is a Talk Is Cheap-release out there I don't have? Interesting smiling smiley

[www.discogs.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-12 10:19 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 12, 2019 12:00

To my ears there's a loss of feel and atmosphere with the TIC remaster.

The original release just sounds nore "human".

Date: November 12, 2019 12:44

Spud
To my ears there's a loss of feel and atmosphere with the TIC remaster.

The original release just sounds nore "human".

Could be that our ears are used to Steve's brutal drums, and that it's hard to adjust to the softer sound? I don't know. I like the new mix (it sounds like a new mix anyway), but I can relate to what you're saying smiling smiley

Date: November 12, 2019 13:24

The TIC remaster is by no means bad in this respect but it does suffer to some degree from the modern tendency to over compress...enabling a generally louder cut but with less real dynamic range or contrast between loud & soft.

That, in additiuon to any EQ changes, may well account for the lack of impact from the drums.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 12, 2019 15:51

DandelionPowderman

Thats interesting. Didn't know about this.
I always had my problems with Steves Drumsound,sometimes the playing as well.
Maybe I should give a listen to the newer release.

Date: November 13, 2019 02:55

Part of what I miss on CROSSEYED HEART is the power behind Steve's beat. Together with Keith's guitar work, it was such a primal sound that made Keith's first two albums sound so raw and unfinished. Only "Slave" and "Little T & A" in the Stones' catalog had a similar feel.

Date: November 13, 2019 14:23

Rocky Dijon
Part of what I miss on CROSSEYED HEART is the power behind Steve's beat. Together with Keith's guitar work, it was such a primal sound that made Keith's first two albums sound so raw and unfinished. Only "Slave" and "Little T & A" in the Stones' catalog had a similar feel.

Very true. I only got that feel one more time in Stones catalog, and that was the ballad thAt Keith and Steve owned anyway:the one with the 'ah ah's' on SW, and the Spanish guitar solo. I can not recall that damn title.

Date: November 13, 2019 14:36

Almost Hear You Sighwinking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 13, 2019 16:36

Spud
GasLightStreet

People are buying them and enjoying them......and It doesn't really matter why.

So What other justification does it need ?grinning smiley

[...and the cost of a typical new vinyl album today isn't too bad ...

...it's just these fancy deluxe packages that cost silly money.
I do get annoyed when they don't give you the option of just buying the remastered original LP, with no extra candy and at a normal price.]

What gets me is that people tend to automatically assume that it's better because it's on vinyl. If it's just a digital recording... then I guess it's just about the vinyl experience because there is no difference in the quality of the audio.

Date: November 13, 2019 21:08

Spud
Almost Hear You Sighwinking smiley

Thanks Spud. I kept coming up with "Anyway you look at it".

I was also kind of let down by the new vinyl experience. Mind you, this was not an old style, "real" record player. It was a new digital turntable. Sounded like my phone.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 14, 2019 04:44

GasLightStreet

What gets me is that people tend to automatically assume that it's better because it's on vinyl.

I automatically assume it's better because of the artwork. You can't get the poster in any CD edition of LIB.

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: December 7, 2019 12:57

Totally pissed at Universal: the artwork for Wandering Spirit is not even complete compared to the original LP. What a rip-off.

Date: December 7, 2019 13:08

GivenToFly15
Totally pissed at Universal: the artwork for Wandering Spirit is not even complete compared to the original LP. What a rip-off.

What is missing?

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: December 7, 2019 15:36

See [www.discogs.com]

Also I thought there was supposed to be a download card. At least that’s what sellers were saying. Anyone got any?

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: December 7, 2019 16:56

Glam Descendant
GasLightStreet

What gets me is that people tend to automatically assume that it's better because it's on vinyl.

I automatically assume it's better because of the artwork. You can't get the poster in any CD edition of LIB.
You can get a poster with LIB CD edition. You just need to pay extra winking smiley
[www.cdjapan.co.jp]
[www.cdjapan.co.jp]
For the second link, see description for CD 14.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 7, 2019 20:59

GivenToFly15

Given that Mick is supposed to be such a control freak...how does
he allow this to happen?

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: December 7, 2019 21:47

jlowe
GivenToFly15

Given that Mick is supposed to be such a control freaknhow does
he allow this to happen?

Mick. Doesn't. Care.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1877
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home