Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Mick Jagger Solo Albums to be re-issued By Universal
Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: September 16, 2019 04:11

Rocky Dijon
IanBillen
Goddess in The Doorway sold 982,000 on the first day of it's release. It then went on to sell 12 million copies worldwide. It entered both the US & UK charts at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. The release stayed at #1 in the US for six straight weeks. The album spawned four #1 singles and three other top ten hits.

Few things as dangerous as a sarcastic Ian.

Ha ... ikr.

I was living in fear of seeing quite a few members writing me off as completely koo-koo or slamming me here saying I need to come up with facts that are not from my own personal dreamland (<< or both).

Thank Goddess ... er .. I mean Thank 'Goodness' .. folks undastooooood thast I was jus bein a silly-willy .... Ha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-16 04:12 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 16, 2019 05:09

In your own way, that was more cutting than calling it DOGSHIT IN THE DOORWAY.

Posted by: TIRED ()
Date: September 16, 2019 13:45

IanBillen

Goddess in The Doorway sold 982,000 on the first day of it's release.
It then went on to sell 12 million copies world wide. It entered both the US & UK charts at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. The release stayed at #1 in the US for six straight weeks. The album spawned four #1 singles and three other top ten hits.

Did Bjornulf forget to extend the license for the Bullshit Protection Software again?

(sorry Mick)

(btw I was one of the 982 fans who bought GITD on the first day).

Date: September 16, 2019 13:49

TIRED
IanBillen

Goddess in The Doorway sold 982,000 on the first day of it's release.
It then went on to sell 12 million copies world wide. It entered both the US & UK charts at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. The release stayed at #1 in the US for six straight weeks. The album spawned four #1 singles and three other top ten hits.

Did Bjornulf forget to extend the license for the Bullshit Protection Software again?

(sorry Mick)

(btw I was one of the 982 fans who bought GITD on the first day).

Right? There was you, me and 980 other poor souls.

Date: September 16, 2019 14:49

Make that 979 others. I've bought everything on the day of release since TATTOO YOU with the exception of 1,2,3,4 because I wasn't aware of it for about a month and then it took ages before I found a copy. I know I could have ordered a copy, but I was only 10 years old.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 16, 2019 15:08

Something of a confession I suppose for a Stones fan of almost 50 years standing...but I've never even heard Mick's solo albums .
[Other than the odd track here and there which got radio play].

Date: September 16, 2019 15:53

I'm critical of about 50% of what Mick does on his own, but I still consider his solo catalog indispensable. Jagger-Richards is the essential ingredient of what makes The Rolling Stones no matter how important the other ingredients are or have been in the past. Consequently, I can't ignore Jagger or Richards' solo output. My collection wouldn't feel complete if I did.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 16, 2019 16:06

Keith's solo stuff I love ...and I do confess to being a Keith fan before a Mick fan ...but that's not why I'm not into Mick's solo stuff.

I just don't like the type of noise made by the bands he puts together.

Too slick for my tastes [understandable as I guess he was after a contrast].

Keith's typical "rough n ready" output suites me much better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-16 16:12 by Spud.

Date: September 16, 2019 16:24

I love Keith's first two albums and about half of the third one. I know what you mean about Mick. "Just Another Night" was really good, but the rest of the first one sinks without a trace for me. Worst of all, there are some good songs on it, but despite the talent involved (Mick and the players - Jeff Beck, etc.) it falls flat. PRIMITIVE COOL is much better despite a dreadful single. WANDERING SPIRIT is his best by far. GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY was back to being hit and miss. I like a couple tracks ("Hide Away" and "Too Far Gone"), but the rest again falls flat despite the talent. ALFIE I found the same (liked "Old Habits" and "Blind Leading the Blind," but the rest was terrible) results. I think "Charmed Life" might be the worst thing he's ever done. SUPERHEAVY was pointless for me as the couple of good ideas were ruined by a collaboration that lacked chemistry. The idea of Mick doing something like THE TRAVELING WILBURYS has appeal, but this wasn't it. The last two tracks ("Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost") did nothing for me. Just painful noise. The fact that the new Stones album is supposed to have a few similar cuts doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy though I quite like the bits Mick has shared from it.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 16, 2019 16:46

Maybe a better idea would have been a compilation album of 10 - 12 tracks...
just the good stuff from Mick's solo albums.
Minus the crappy tunes.

Date: September 16, 2019 17:12

Mick tried that a dozen years ago. Problem is one person's highlights are not the next person's as our Top Ten Lists here also prove. Besides, much as I might gripe about "Too Much Blood" or "Let's Work" or "Charmed Life," I'd feel like something was missing if I played the albums and they weren't there.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 16, 2019 17:20

schillid

Available again as Download: 'The Very Best Of Mick Jagger' - [www.Qobuz.com] - [Music.Apple.com] .

Date: September 16, 2019 17:22

Rocky Dijon
I'm critical of about 50% of what Mick does on his own, but I still consider his solo catalog indispensable. Jagger-Richards is the essential ingredient of what makes The Rolling Stones no matter how important the other ingredients are or have been in the past. Consequently, I can't ignore Jagger or Richards' solo output. My collection wouldn't feel complete if I did.

Sometimes someone else puts into words something that to me has always been a truth too: indispensable. That is the right word.
Like it or not - Jagger's solo albums are part of the Stones canon. As is all of Keith's solo output. And I do include Ron Wood's solo albums too. High quality and high spirit.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 16, 2019 17:22

oh yeah I forgot
I didn't buy it back when it came out either

Date: September 16, 2019 17:40

You're consistent at least!

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: September 16, 2019 18:13

Wandering Spirit best album since tattoo you

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: November 3, 2019 12:55

Wandering Spirit reissue

Features
Double LP
Half-Speed Mastered
Remastered by Miles Showell at Abbey Road Studios
Replica of original LP packaging
Limited time download card
Printed inner sleeves

LP 1:

Wired All Night
Sweet Thing
Out of Focus
Don't Tear Me Up
Put Me In the Trash
Use Me
Evening Gown
LP 2:

Mother of a Man
Think
Wandering Spirit
Hang On To Me Tonight
I've Been Lonely For So Long
Angel In My Heart
Handsome Molly

Source:
[elusivedisc.com]

Date: November 3, 2019 13:10

GivenToFly15

Half-Speed Mastered

Available also here: She's The Boss - €28.99 - [www.jpc.de] , Primitive Cool - €28.99 - [www.jpc.de] , Wandering Spirit - €31.99 - [www.jpc.de] , Goddess In The Doorway - €31.99 - [www.jpc.de] .

Worldwide shipping costs: [www.jpc.de] .

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 3, 2019 14:04

Irix
GivenToFly15

Half-Speed Mastered

Available also here: She's The Boss - €28.99 - [www.jpc.de] , Primitive Cool - €28.99 - [www.jpc.de] , Wandering Spirit - €31.99 - [www.jpc.de] , Goddess In The Doorway - €31.99 - [www.jpc.de] .

Goodness me. Will anyone buy these at these prices?
I would imagine Retailers (in the UK) will be selling them at a third of the price in the run up to Christmas.
And then, to clear any stock even cheaper in 2020.
Worldwide shipping costs: [www.jpc.de] .

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: November 3, 2019 14:57

My favourite Deluxe album is DefLep's Pyromania; disc 2 is a live show from the LA Forum.

I would buy one of these Mick re-releases only if it had a full live show with Satriani on guitar. That being said, anyone know where I can download a decent quality version of one of those Jagger/Satriani shows?!

Date: November 3, 2019 15:00

jlowe

Goodness me. Will anyone buy these at these prices?

For comparison:

Wandering Spirit + Goddess In The Doorway - £26.19 (approx. €30) - [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] . She's The Boss + Primitive Cool - £18.08 (approx. €21) - [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] .

Date: November 3, 2019 15:20

FrogSugar

That being said, anyone know where I can download a decent quality version of one of those Jagger/Satriani shows?!

It's at least on CD (1988/1992): [www.Amazon.co.uk] - [www.Discogs.com] . Download (LLRCD 152): [iorr.org] .

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 3, 2019 19:05

schillid
just the good stuff from Mick's solo albums.
Minus the crappy tunes.

I'd be hard pressed to come up with 10-12, and not just saying that because I can't stand Mick Jagger solo. Even when trying to be objective, coming up with 4-5 seems impossible.
If it were up to me, a 12" extended single version of Lets Work would be enough to sum it all up, and maybe as a bonus for cd include several different remixes.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: November 3, 2019 19:55

Irix
FrogSugar

That being said, anyone know where I can download a decent quality version of one of those Jagger/Satriani shows?!

It's at least on CD (1988/1992): [www.Amazon.co.uk] - [www.Discogs.com] . Download (LLRCD 152): [iorr.org] .

Awesome, thanks, downloading as we speak... Didn't know Simon Philips was on that tour (drums on Priest's Sin After Sin album)...

Very Stones-heavy setlist, I'm guessing they trimmed out Mick solo songs to fit on one CD (or was Mick just trying to be the Stones all by himself?)

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: November 3, 2019 20:28

Spud
Something of a confession I suppose for a Stones fan of almost 50 years standing...but I've never even heard Mick's solo albums .
[Other than the odd track here and there which got radio play].

Well, I agree. I never felt like solo Mick had anything to say. No point of view, nothing burning inside him that he just has to communicate. Not a writer like a Townshend, Davies, Morrison, even Bowie. Musically, I get that he likes dance music, but that's not my cup of tea and he's competing against much greater talents in that venue.

Date: November 3, 2019 20:30

There are still tentative plans for the following to be released as part of the From the Vault series. It was originally planned for 2018, but delayed until the rights were sorted with BMG for Mick's solo catalogue to be reissued by UME.

Track listing courtesy of Nico Zentgraf's site [nzentgraf.de]

880323A 23nd March: MICK JAGGER. Tokyo, Japan, Tokyo Dome
(Honky Tonk Women/Throwaway/Bitch/Let’s Spend The Night Together/
Beast Of Burden/Tumbling Dice/Miss You/Ruby Tuesday/Just Another
Night/War Baby/Harlem Shuffle/Say You Will/Party Doll/Band
introduction/You Can’t Always Get What You Want/Radio Control/
Gimme Shelter/Start Me Up/Brown Sugar/It’s Only Rock’n Roll/Jumping
Jack Flash/Sympathy For The Devil/Satisfaction)
Note: With special guest star Tina Turner duetting on Brown Sugar & It’s Only Rock’n
Roll. The whole show was filmed by Japanese TV (see 880327cool smiley.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: November 3, 2019 20:50

Rocky Dijon
There are still tentative plans for the following to be released as part of the From the Vault series. It was originally planned for 2018, but delayed until the rights were sorted with BMG for Mick's solo catalogue to be reissued by UME.

Track listing courtesy of Nico Zentgraf's site [nzentgraf.de]

880323A 23nd March: MICK JAGGER. Tokyo, Japan, Tokyo Dome
(Honky Tonk Women/Throwaway/Bitch/Let’s Spend The Night Together/
Beast Of Burden/Tumbling Dice/Miss You/Ruby Tuesday/Just Another
Night/War Baby/Harlem Shuffle/Say You Will/Party Doll/Band
introduction/You Can’t Always Get What You Want/Radio Control/
Gimme Shelter/Start Me Up/Brown Sugar/It’s Only Rock’n Roll/Jumping
Jack Flash/Sympathy For The Devil/Satisfaction)
Note: With special guest star Tina Turner duetting on Brown Sugar & It’s Only Rock’n
Roll. The whole show was filmed by Japanese TV (see 880327cool smiley.

I would prefer the Australian shows to ne teleased because there are more Jagger Solo Songs and more rarities played. Also we already got a perfect sounding bootleg of the Japanese show while the Australian shows quality is worse.

And at the end of the show Mick is completely out of breath. He doesn't sing anymore, he speaks.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 3, 2019 21:02

Oh please no live 1988 release, nomatter if it's from Australia or Japan, for your own sake, Jagger!

Date: November 3, 2019 21:43

We have yet to see Paris 1976, Knebworth 1976, Atlantic City 1989, St. Louis 1997, the various Licks shows and Bang shows all planned for CD/DVD or CD/Blu-ray combos. I wouldn't worry.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: November 3, 2019 22:59

I like Mick's solo albums, although there are some exceptions, what I don't understand is all this envy against reprints, no one points a gun to your head to let you buy it. So what's the problem? Paranoia? It will be age but I don't understand you ...

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1563
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home