Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Mick Jagger Solo Albums to be re-issued By Universal
Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: September 6, 2019 01:07

From a member of the Steve Hoffman forum:
[forums.stevehoffman.tv]
HMV Japan saying some of Jaggers solo albums where being re issued on vinyl in November by Universal , titles included She’s The Boss, Primitive Cool, Wondering Spirt And Goddess InThe Doorway.

Re: Mick Jagger Solo Albums to be re-issued By Universal
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 6, 2019 08:14

Ricky
[forums.stevehoffman.tv]
HMV Japan saying some of Jaggers solo albums where being re issued on vinyl in November by Universal , titles included She’s The Boss, Primitive Cool, Wondering Spirt And Goddess InThe Doorway.

Seeing that that is all he released, how could they include otherwise?

What a waste of time and material. Whatever!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 6, 2019 08:25

With no new Stones album, this is rubbing salt in the wounds...a spit in the face...a kick in the teeth...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 6, 2019 09:30

Kick in da teeth ….Not really ….

Keith reissued Talk Is Cheap...
Ronnie involved in the Chuck Berry Mad Lad thingo …...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 6, 2019 10:41

Any extra tracks etc? Otherwise, what could possibly be the point?

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 6, 2019 10:53

peoplewitheyes

Because it's what record companies have always done.
Its minimal cost to them, so possible profit to both musicians and label.
If you check the Discogs site a lot of Stones records have actually had 100 plus
reissues if you take into account all territories. Eg Sticky Fingrrs with 324 versions.
Pity the poor completists!

Date: September 6, 2019 10:57

Yeah, of course jlowe, I should have been more specific - what could possibly be the point in purchasing such a thing.

(I also don't understand the whole completist phenomenon, but I guess it is the sane mania that drives train-spotting etc)

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: September 6, 2019 12:58

I think I recall reading that Goddess In The Doorway sold something like 982 copies on day of release (don't know if that was just UK or whatever) but if there wasn't much interest first time around.....

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Date: September 6, 2019 13:43

I remember a joke at the time of the release of G in the D and the Being Mick documentary that suggested that the album had sold 982 copies in the first few days, but this dropped to 900 after the documentary was aired (suggesting people had taken their copies back to the shop)

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: September 6, 2019 14:11

ROLLINGSTONE
I think I recall reading that Goddess In The Doorway sold something like 982 copies on day of release (don't know if that was just UK or whatever) but if there wasn't much interest first time around.....

And I believe the above is not a joke.

I clearly remember an official announcement from the record industry that Goddess in the Doorway sold a total number of 6 (six) copies in the whole of Germany on the day of release.

d.f

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 6, 2019 14:14

dead.flowers
ROLLINGSTONE

I clearly remember an official announcement from the record industry that Goddess in the Doorway sold a total number of 6 (six) copies in the whole of Germany on the day of release.

d.f

Was this the same record that Rolling Stone gave a 5 star review?!

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: September 6, 2019 14:46

jlowe
dead.flowers
ROLLINGSTONE

d.f

I hope that Goddess got 5 stars. It might not be as phantastic as WS, which could have as well been a Stones album, but the first 6-7 tracks of Goddess are very good in a way that would not fit well on a Stones album. I listen to Goddess 4-6 times a year and find it hugely enjoyable. I think the worst thing about Goddess is the cover art work.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 6, 2019 15:05

GetYerAngie
jlowe
dead.flowers
ROLLINGSTONE

d.f

I hope that Goddess got 5 stars. It might not be as phantastic as WS, which could have as well been a Stones album, but the first 6-7 tracks of Goddess are very good in a way that would not fit well on a Stones album. I listen to Goddess 4-6 times a year and find it hugely enjoyable. I think the worst thing about Goddess is the cover art work.

I agree...........I just let it wash over me and I end up really relaxed .....(Sales probably weren't helped by KR's ungracious comments either ....

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 6, 2019 15:21

dead.flowers

But 'Goddess in the Doorway' peaked at #2 in the German Album-Charts and stayed 17 weeks in the German Top-100 Album-Charts -- [www.OffizielleCharts.de] .

Other Charts: [en.Wikipedia.org] , [de.Wikipedia.org] .

Date: September 6, 2019 16:11

these sales people are saying of goddess must be specific countries as I thought the album sold like 2 million worldwide

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 6, 2019 16:14

peoplewitheyes
I remember a joke at the time of the release of G in the D and the Being Mick documentary that suggested that the album had sold 982 copies in the first few days, but this dropped to 900 after the documentary was aired (suggesting people had taken their copies back to the shop)

It sold 982 copies during the first day in the UK, but at the end of the week the album debuted at #44 with 12k sold.

It spent 10 weeks in the UK Top 200 and by March 2002 it was certified SILVER for sales of 60,000 copies.

GITD has sold over 1.2 million copies worldwide, but the album sales were on a peak by then and 1 million sellers were "flops" at the time.

Nowadays, no more than 10 albums by year can reach 1 million copies sold worldwide.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: September 6, 2019 16:19

Wandering Spirit is still such an epic, magnificent album, I would put that in my top five Stones releases of all time. I've probably listened to it more than any Stones album back-to-back, thinking about it. The songs, playing and production just sound amazing to me. I'm playing it now and Sweet Thing just kicked in, man that is such a killer intro and Jagger sounds at his total peak. It's just brilliant.

Incredible that we got Voodoo Lounge and Wandering Spirit within a year of each other!

Date: September 6, 2019 16:23

georgelicks
peoplewitheyes

It sold 982 copies during the first day in the UK, but at the end of the week the album debuted at #44 with 12k sold.

It spent 10 weeks in the UK Top 200 and by March 2002 it was certified SILVER for sales of 60,000 copies.

GITD has sold over 1.2 million copies worldwide, but the album sales were on a peak by then and 1 million sellers were "flops" at the time.

Nowadays, no more than 10 albums by year can reach 1 million copies sold worldwide.

thank you. I knew those numbers were right and saw that it was getting close to 2 million now after streams and such were taken into account.

you are right though back then 1.2 million was average for most no name artists and this is mick jagger

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 6, 2019 16:29

believe it or not I have never ever listened to the whole GINTD and I am willing to stay in that ignorance

if extra tracks show up (as we are waiting since 2005 for a new stones album that some say is digging in the unreleased material) I will make a voodoo doll in the shape of mick

having said that enjoy and cheers smileys with beer

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 6, 2019 19:14

peoplewitheyes

Point is that the new release is vinyl (so no extras)-

Vinyls are hip nowadays, so there is a chance that they are able to sell.

C

Re: Mick Jagger Solo Albums to be re-issued on Vinyl by Universal
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 6, 2019 19:25

liddas

Point is that the new release is vinyl (so no extras)

Release date: 1-Nov-2019 .

Pre-Order: She's The Boss - €28.99 - [www.jpc.de] , Primitive Cool - €28.99 - [www.jpc.de] , Wandering Spirit - €28.99 - [www.jpc.de] , Goddess In The Doorway - €31.99 - [www.jpc.de] .

Worldwide shipping costs: [www.jpc.de] .

Date: September 6, 2019 21:53

liddas
peoplewitheyes

Point is that the new release is vinyl (so no extras)-

Vinyls are hip nowadays, so there is a chance that they are able to sell.

C

I'll probably take the bait on GITD on vinyl smiling smiley I have the others, even the Superheavy-LP.

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: September 6, 2019 22:17

I would have loved a Wandering Spirit deluxe edition. But I will settle with the LP. The beautiful blue-ish sleeve itself is worth the price IMHO.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: September 6, 2019 22:26

I would love a remastered CD of "She's the Boss" and "Primitive Cool" as I still have the not so great CBS editions. I've cooled a bit on "Wandering Spirit" over the years. Where I once thought it was incredible I now think it's just pretty good and lament that it's not Keith (or at least Jeff Beck) playing on it but the ever so average Jimmy Rip all over that album. It's kind of become the most frustrating of his solo albums because it IS so Stones-like that I am more reminded of what's lacking rather than just enjoying him exploring solo styles and ideas. Jeff Beck's work on the first two albums has become more appreciated over the years, despite the very 80's production of those releases. As for "Goddess in the Doorway", well I sold that along with "Superheavy" years ago. I've got the "Goddess" tracks I need on the "best of" CD and "Superheavy".....meh, it's an oddity I can listen to on YouTube if I ever get the urge which is highly unlikely...it's like a movie you don't really need to see again.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-06 22:31 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: September 6, 2019 22:35

Ricky
[forums.stevehoffman.tv]
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 6, 2019 22:52

What is the point of this people ask? Simply that the rights are now leased by Universal and the previous label stopped pressing copies once their license expired. If you don't want them again, don't buy them.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: September 6, 2019 22:53

dead.flowers
ROLLINGSTONE

d.f
I believe this generated a great depression in Mick, worried about his finances.
I have always thought that the solo works of Mick, Keith, Ronnie, Bill, Charlie have never been interested in commercial success, although sometimes it might seem the opposite, it's just fun.

Posted by: MAYO ()
Date: September 6, 2019 23:38

Hope they release Alfie too on vinyl

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: September 7, 2019 00:13

They should re-release and leave "Let's Work" off of whatever lame-ass album it was on LOL

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: September 7, 2019 01:02

The only one I could never warm to was Primitive Cool. I'll try to give that another listen someday.

I thought some of the tracks on Goddess In The Doorway were good, but it doesn't hold together as an album the way Wandering Spirit does. Wandering Spirit rocks, in my humble opinion. Lots of great songs, good variety of genres, and an excellent flow from song to song. It's one of the few albums I can put on and play from beginning to end and it really feels like a unified work.

Superheavy was a little uneven inherently because of the eclectic mix of artists, but I thought Mick's songs were awesome. Maybe it was just because where I was at that particular time of life, but I remember enjoying many of those songs.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1875
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home