Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ronnie Woods Zemaitis Guitar ?
Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: September 5, 2019 21:26

Where is Ronnie Zemaitis electric guitar?

I did not notice it on this tour?

Re: Ronnie Woods Zemaitis Guitar ?
Date: September 5, 2019 21:33

chrism13
Where is Ronnie Zemaitis electric guitar?

I did not notice it on this tour?

He didn't use it on YGMR? I think he did.

Date: September 5, 2019 21:35

Indeed he did. [youtu.be]

Date: September 5, 2019 22:01

Ok ...I did not catch that song at the 3 shows I went to.

Love that guitar. No so much the song.

It's not a terrible song but there was a time when it was played a lot.

considering Let It Loose has never been played...just saying.

Date: September 5, 2019 22:14

What about the silver and red Zemaitis?

Date: September 5, 2019 22:38

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 6, 2019 01:09

Doesn’t Ronnie have two? One was in Exhibitionism when I saw it in London.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: September 6, 2019 05:15

I haven’t seen him play the silver top one in a while. He has had A few z’s in the late 70s that we’re stolen. One was his pearl front that he played in the black and blue promo videos.

The only original Z that I have seen him play on recent years is the triple humbucker disc front that he plays on you got me rocking.

He does have a couple newer ones from the Zemaitis/Greco company in japan. One is a black triple single coil guitar that is was at the exhibition show I saw In Nashville. He also has a black prototype with a silver top configured more like a tele but with a p90 “phat cat” type humbucker in the neck and a single cool in the bridge. Wish that one would have made it to production.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: September 6, 2019 13:04

nankerphlege
I He also has a black prototype with a silver top configured more like a tele but with a p90 “phat cat” type humbucker in the neck and a single cool in the bridge. Wish that one would have made it to production.

I was very interested in that guitar when I saw it first some years ago. So I wrote an email to the Zemaitis Company in Japan and asked about it.
They told me that this guitar was designed by Ronnie himself. Alas, they didn't tell if this guitar will ever go into production.
As my correspondence with them is already years ago I don't think it will.

Just my 2 cts.

Phil

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: September 6, 2019 15:33

chrism13
Ok ...I did not catch that song at the 3 shows I went to.

Love that guitar. No so much the song.

It's not a terrible song but there was a time when it was played a lot.

considering Let It Loose has never been played...just saying.

Yes, YGMR was played about every show during VL 94-95. Not strange at all since YGMR was one of the big hits from VL.

Date: September 6, 2019 15:38

nankerphlege
I haven’t seen him play the silver top one in a while. He has had A few z’s in the late 70s that we’re stolen. One was his pearl front that he played in the black and blue promo videos.

The only original Z that I have seen him play on recent years is the triple humbucker disc front that he plays on you got me rocking.

He does have a couple newer ones from the Zemaitis/Greco company in japan. One is a black triple single coil guitar that is was at the exhibition show I saw In Nashville. He also has a black prototype with a silver top configured more like a tele but with a p90 “phat cat” type humbucker in the neck and a single cool in the bridge. Wish that one would have made it to production.

Only original (a guitar that Tony himself built for Ronnie) Zematis guitar Ronnie has played live in recent years is the discfront. When Stones played in Japan 2006 both Ronnie & Keith got several new Zematis guitars from the custom shop, among those at least one new discfront, one new 5-string "macabre" and several other newer models from Zematis Japan. They played several of them live during ABB Tour 2006-2007.

Date: September 6, 2019 15:41

I get it during the VL tour but it seemed to stick around after that tour as well. Played at Roseland 2002. Slave and Let it Loose still have not been played live. Just saying!...

Date: September 6, 2019 15:45

I was really asking about this :

Date: September 6, 2019 15:46

chrism13
I get it during the VL tour but it seemed to stick around after that tour as well. Played at Roseland 2002. Slave and Let it Loose still have not been played live. Just saying!...

It´s still one of their biggest hits from the "Vegas-era". Slave and let it loose have never been played live and most likely never will. Slave was rehearsed before Licks Tour.

Posted by: trevormcmullin ()
Date: September 6, 2019 16:13

Does anybody know what year Ronnie's Zematis Disc Front guitar is? I have been trying to find out for a long time and can't seem to find that info anywhere.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: September 6, 2019 18:43

trevormcmullin
Does anybody know what year Ronnie's Zematis Disc Front guitar is? I have been trying to find out for a long time and can't seem to find that info anywhere.

This page states 1972:
[www.zemaitis.de]

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: September 6, 2019 21:00

audun-eg
trevormcmullin

This page states 1972:
[www.zemaitis.de]

He recorded Stay With Me with it the year before.

Date: September 6, 2019 21:41

DandelionPowderman
audun-eg
trevormcmullin

This page states 1972:
[www.zemaitis.de]

Then it must have been made 1971 or prior. Wikipedia says Ron appeared with the guitar on Top of the Pops in '71. When knowing Tony Zemaitis started experimenting on guitars with metal tops in 1970, and Wikipedia also says that Tonys second guitar was made for Ronnie... I guess we're now in the ballpark. smiling smiley

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: September 6, 2019 21:44

audun-eg
DandelionPowderman
audun-eg
trevormcmullin

This page states 1972:
[www.zemaitis.de]

Then it must have been made 1971 or prior. Wikipedia says Ron appeared with the guitar on Top of the Pops in '71. When knowing Tony Zemaitis started experimenting on guitars with metal tops in 1970, and Wikipedia also says that Tonys second guitar was made for Ronnie... I guess we're now in the ballpark. smiling smiley

I would guess 1971, as Ronnie still was playing the Dan Armstrong for the songs in open tuning on the BBC-show earlier that year.

Date: September 6, 2019 22:13

DandelionPowderman
audun-eg
DandelionPowderman
audun-eg
trevormcmullin

This page states 1972:
[www.zemaitis.de]

I would guess 1971, as Ronnie still was playing the Dan Armstrong for the songs in open tuning on the BBC-show earlier that year.
A qualified guess, I would say. thumbs up

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: September 6, 2019 23:02

I love that Ronnie's Zemaitis!
YGMR often play it because in a stadium show it works very well. I know very well that there are great songs that have never played live, but it is often due to the fact that some songs work better than others in stadiums.

Date: September 7, 2019 02:01

When he’s tuning to open E for bottle neck playing, it seems to be his guitar of choice.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: September 7, 2019 16:03

audun-eg
DandelionPowderman
audun-eg
trevormcmullin

This page states 1972:
[www.zemaitis.de]

Didn't he do TOTP with the toilet guitar LOL? One time..
The one Z guitar from the hey day that cracks me up is the one with all the small mirrors; or is it mother of pearl? I cant recall if it was a double cutaway. He played it a lot in '78 tour, and the New Barbarian tour. Wonder if it got stolen. They sure had a lot of guitars stolen back then.
I wonder how they comissioned those xpensive guitars. Ronnie Lane also had a few. His Z bass, and that huge resonator guitar. Also a 12 string.
When you watch the Lane documentary, the traveling show, you see all the various bass layers borrowing that Z Bass.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 9, 2019 12:49

audun-eg
DandelionPowderman
audun-eg
trevormcmullin

This page states 1972:
[www.zemaitis.de]

They didn't do Stay With Me on TOTP, that was Top Gear on August 28, 1971, and Wood played his Zemaitis Dan Armstrong guitar. For the Paris Theatre BBC recording on October 26 1971 he also used the Dan Armstrong for Love in Vain and SWM.The Rainbow gigs in February 1972 also shows Wood with the Dan Armstrong.

The first filmed appearance of the Zemaitis Disc guitar that I know of is on May 6, 1972 during their Roundhouse gig, where he uses it on It's All Over now and Stay With Me. The guitar than can be seen on many pictures and footage, and the Dan Armstrong disappears mostly, until Wood start using it occasionally in 1975.

So, as Tony Zemaitis took about 6 months to build a guitar it was probably commissioned by Wood in the winter of 1971, and build in early 1972 and first used in late April/early May 1972.

The sound of Stay With Me is 100% Dan Armstrong –it has that typical gritty, fuzzy overdriven tone, with mostly midrange and lacking in bass and top end.

The Zemaitis Disc sounds totally different, very bright, open and airy. The overdriven tone is much more ‘modern’, with that typical PAF compression in the mid’s.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-09 12:59 by Mathijs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1501
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home