Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Iorr album v goats head soup
Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 5, 2019 21:37

DandelionPowderman
Pietro
GHS had the superior producer -- Jimmy Miller.

When listening to IORR I sometimes get the impression that the novice producers were learning on the job. Sometimes the Glimmer Twins didn't glimmer.

Off topic: Somebody needs to do a thorough appreciation of what Jimmy Miller meant to the Rolling Stones. It's no coincidence that the Rolling Stones' golden age coincided with Miller's tenure.

According to Keith Miller was mostly carving swastikas on the mixing desk by GHS.

I read that the Glimmers basically stopped listening to him during Exile. That doesn’t mean he wasn’t influential during the recording process and perhaps mixing sessions without Jagger. There is a stark contrast in production between GHS and IORR, whether it be in the recording or mixing stage. Andy Johns would probably say the mixing stage.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 5, 2019 22:06

Pietro

When listening to IORR I sometimes get the impression that the novice producers were learning on the job. Sometimes the Glimmer Twins didn't glimmer.

Off topic: Somebody needs to do a thorough appreciation of what Jimmy Miller meant to the Rolling Stones. It's no coincidence that the Rolling Stones' golden age coincided with Miller's tenure.

Thats the book im waiting for.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: September 5, 2019 22:47

DandelionPowderman
Pietro

According to Keith Miller was mostly carving swastikas on the mixing desk by GHS.

Keith's stories are unreliable, though. By all accounts Miller was pretty assertive as a producer. Mick and Keith could have simply decided that they wanted absolute creative control.

Date: September 5, 2019 23:59

blivet
DandelionPowderman
Pietro

Keith's stories are unreliable, though. By all accounts Miller was pretty assertive as a producer. Mick and Keith could have simply decided that they wanted absolute creative control.

Miller was brilliant, but Keith's point was that he was too wasted to function as their producer by GHS. When a non-Stone reach that point it's usually time to say goodbye, as history has showed us.

Date: September 6, 2019 01:35

Keith is pretty absent on GHS I believe?

Date: September 6, 2019 02:35

Redhotcarpet

He went from his most present to his most absent.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 6, 2019 08:10

Redhotcarpet

He plays guitar (with exception to 100 Years Ago, which he seems to play bass on) on every song so...

No.

Date: September 6, 2019 09:24

Yes I know but songwriting and arranging? Compared to the preceding records?

Date: September 6, 2019 13:18

Redhotcarpet

Absent? He's just as absent as Taylor was for IORR, MIA on three tracks smiling smiley

Date: September 6, 2019 13:23

Redhotcarpet
Yes I know but songwriting and arranging? Compared to the preceding records?

It's pretty evident that he was heavily involved in the writing of Mr D, Coming Down Again, Angie, Can You Hear The Music and Star Star, isn't it? And these are just the ones we know of. Then we got songs that didn't make the album, like I Got A Letter, Jamaica etc.

Date: September 6, 2019 13:24

GasLightStreet
Redhotcarpet

He plays guitar (with exception to 100 Years Ago, which he seems to play bass on) on every song so...

No.

Only bass on Heartbreaker and 100 Years Ago, MIA on Winter and Hide Your Love (and perhaps Silver Train).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-06 13:25 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: September 6, 2019 14:57

GHS
Dancing With Mr. D – 9
100 Years Ago – 9
Coming Down Again – 8
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) – 10
Angie – 10
Silver Train – 7
Hide Your Love – 9
Winter – 10
Can You Hear The Music? – 8
Star Star - 9

IORR
If You Can't Rock Me – 7
Ain't Too Proud To Beg – 7
It's Only Rock 'N' Roll (But I Like It) – 10
Till The Next Goodbye – 8
Time Waits For No One – 10
Luxury – 7
Dance Little Sister – 9
If You Really Want To Be My Friend – 8
Short And Curlies – 7
Fingerprint File – 10

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 6, 2019 14:59

Both classic Stones

Date: September 6, 2019 15:37

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

Absent? He's just as absent as Taylor was for IORR, MIA on three tracks smiling smiley

Yet he gets songwriting credit on everything. Let’s be honest, Richards being absent is a bigger deal than Taylor or Wyman being absent.

Taylor missed the first IORR sessions due to an “illness” (I suspect maybe some party favors on the ‘73 tour), otherwise he probably would have had bits on a few more songs.

Who knows why Richards was absent.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 6, 2019 16:31

That's what the "Ask Keith" section on his site is for.......smoking smiley

Date: September 6, 2019 16:49

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

Yet he gets songwriting credit on everything. Let’s be honest, Richards being absent is a bigger deal than Taylor or Wyman being absent.

Taylor missed the first IORR sessions due to an “illness” (I suspect maybe some party favors on the ‘73 tour), otherwise he probably would have had bits on a few more songs.

As you know well, Mick and Keith have a songwriting partnership. Hence Mick gets credit on Keith-songs and vice versa. Taylor never wrote songs from scratch for the Stones, as far as I know.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 6, 2019 17:58

ted by: DandelionPowderman ()
Date: September 6, 2019 16:49

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

Absent? He's just as absent as Taylor was for IORR, MIA on three tracks

As you know well, Mick and Keith have a songwriting partnership. Hence Mick gets credit on Keith-songs and vice versa. Taylor never wrote songs from scratch

DP - Who knows all I know is MT helped Jagger get songs done when Keith was MIA and that contribution can never be Erased on tape(LOL). Also MT played on the stones greatest ballad Moonlight Mile and greatest B song ever released Sway while Keith was MIA. LOL.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 6, 2019 18:27

I always wondered about Hide Your Love - I know the idea started with MJ at piano playing as always in the Key of C but Taylor's playing and solo reminds me of a young MT playing off John Mayall and I have always thought that. John gave MT one song credit for snowy wood. I do not think Keith played on Hide Your Love.

Date: September 6, 2019 18:33

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

As you know well, Mick and Keith have a songwriting partnership. Hence Mick gets credit on Keith-songs and vice versa. Taylor never wrote songs from scratch for the Stones, as far as I know.

Yeah, I understand the partnership and why it could be considered frustrating to a new band member, especially one who worked with the very considerate John Mayall.

Perhaps the only song from scratch Taylor wrote was the riff to “Ventilator Blues”, hence the credit. It appears Taylor felt merely writing the riff wasn’t as an important of a contribution as his playing on “Sway” and “Moonlight Mike”, for instance.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-06 18:35 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 6, 2019 18:34

I'm sorry to break the news to anyone who actually says that "Dancing With Mr. D" is a great song, but it IS NOT.

Maybe you like it because you were in the 10th grade when it came out, or it was your first Stones album, or you think it's obscure, or misunderstood, or under-appreciated, or whatever.

But it's a go-nowhere riff and sonically a real turd in the punch bowl.

And another thing: it's BORING!!

Yeah, yeah. I've heard the arguments: Mood...Voodoo...hypnotic.. blah, blah, blah.

There's a big difference in what the Stones were attempting to do, and what they actually succeeded in doing. This time they missed the target.

Someone just gave it a "9" rating! Certainly, that can't be on a "10" scale!

If that's a nine, I can't imagine the astronomical rating you would have to give to the classic Stones opening tracks on the five previous albums:

Sympathy For The Devil

Gimme Shelter

Jumpin' Jack Flash (on Ya-Ya's)

Brown Sugar

Rocks Off

Words can't even begin to describe the power and exhilaration of those tracks. No one ever had to write an explanation to argue why they thought any of those songs were great. Because they actually were!

Calling "Mr. D." a 9 is out-of-control grade inflation. Or a sign of deafness. "Mr. D" isn't anywhere near those classic kick off songs. Admit it.

And if it actually had been, Jimmy Miller would have produced IORR and the next five or ten Stones albums, no matter what he was abusing or carving in the console. What's important on a Stones record is what's in the grooves, and whatever makes the Stones great was MIA on "Mr. D." and let's not pretend otherwise.

(Or, as so many often do here, cite '73 live versions, which is a shoulda/coulda-been argument not even relevant in a discussion the quality of the GHS album)

Date: September 6, 2019 18:37

I was not born when “Dancing” came out, but I remember hearing the studio version for the first time on the radio and LOVING it. Not all their songs have to be as serious as “Gimme Shelter”. To me it’s a fun, campy, Voodoo blues romp!

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: September 6, 2019 20:01

Leave Mr. D. off and GHS isn't a good album anymore.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 6, 2019 20:05

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

Are we saying Keith was absent in a non-literal sense? He plays on 9 of the 10 songs on GHS. "Winter" being the only song where he's absent. I always thought he wasn't on "Hide Your Love" but according to "timeisonourside" he plays bass.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 6, 2019 20:43

GHS
Dancing With Mr. D – 9
100 Years Ago –8,5
Coming Down Again – 10* ( read as 10 plus one star)
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) – 9,5
Angie – 10* (10 plus one star)
Silver Train – 6,5
Hide Your Love – 6,5
Winter – 9
Can You Hear The Music? – 10 (hypnotic qualities)
Star Star - 7,5

IORR
If You Can't Rock Me – 7
Ain't Too Proud To Beg – 5
It's Only Rock 'N' Roll (But I Like It) – 6
Till The Next Goodbye – 7,5
Time Waits For No One – 9
Luxury – 8
Dance Little Sister – 7
If You Really Want To Be My Friend – 9,5
Short And Curlies – 8
Fingerprint File – 10

Date: September 6, 2019 20:52

JordyLicks96
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

Are we saying Keith was absent in a non-literal sense? He plays on 9 of the 10 songs on GHS. "Winter" being the only song where he's absent. I always thought he wasn't on "Hide Your Love" but according to "timeisonourside" he plays bass.

I'm not saying he was absent. I'm fighting windmills to say he wasn't smiling smiley

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: September 6, 2019 20:54

I prefer Goats Head wayyyyyyyy more than IORR.

And Dancing with Mr. D is a definite 9 in my book also.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 6, 2019 21:17

DandelionPowderman
JordyLicks96
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

I'm not saying he was absent. I'm fighting windmills to say he wasn't smiling smiley

Ohhh, I see!! smiling smiley I'd say Keith was absent on GHS in the sense this was the first album after the "Golden Age" where his guitar work doesn't stand out like previous albums. "Mr. D" has a cool riff, but it's really only on "Star Star" where his guitar shouts a classic Keith riff.

Date: September 6, 2019 21:30

JordyLicks96
DandelionPowderman
JordyLicks96
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

Ohhh, I see!! smiling smiley I'd say Keith was absent on GHS in the sense this was the first album after the "Golden Age" where his guitar work doesn't stand out like previous albums. "Mr. D" has a cool riff, but it's really only on "Star Star" where his guitar shouts a classic Keith riff.

True, but he does really beautiful stuff on Angie and Coming Down Again as well, but it's different and more subdued. The wah wah-riff on Can You Hear The Music also deserves a mention.

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 6, 2019 21:39

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

Yeah, I understand the partnership and why it could be considered frustrating to a new band member, especially one who worked with the very considerate John Mayall.

Perhaps the only song from scratch Taylor wrote was the riff to “Ventilator Blues”, hence the credit. It appears Taylor felt merely writing the riff wasn’t as an important of a contribution as his playing on “Sway” and “Moonlight Mike”, for instance.

I thought it was already agreed that Taylor had nothing to do with the writing of Ventilator Blues.

Date: September 6, 2019 21:45

z
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

I thought it was already agreed that Taylor had nothing to do with the writing of Ventilator Blues.

At least according to Taylor himself smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1229
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home