Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Iorr album v goats head soup
Posted by: Meise ()
Date: September 4, 2019 08:36

Both album have their highlights and weaknesses. It makes little sense to compare song to song. It's more the overall mood and expression of an album that leaves a superior feeling. Moreover, it's always individual taste in rating an album.

I always liked GHS better than IORR but wouldn't say that the latter is their worst 1970s album. B&B is worse than IORR ...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 4, 2019 11:35

Ghs is the mature album and the last ”real” album with real songs from the real era when they still mattered. Of course Winter probably beats everything on iorr. Hide your love is a real song used as filler while S&C is a joke. On the other hand CYHTM is a bit too ”real” - it sounds forced.
I still love iorr more for some reason. I wonder if the sleazy iorr actually had a bigger impact on bands like G&R (aside from Hanoi Rocks).

Date: September 4, 2019 12:05

Redhotcarpet
Ghs is the mature album and the last ”real” album with real songs from the real era when they still mattered. Of course Winter probably beats everything on iorr. Hide your love is a real song used as filler while S&C is a joke. On the other hand CYHTM is a bit too ”real” - it sounds forced.
I still love iorr more for some reason. I wonder if the sleazy iorr actually had a bigger impact on bands like G&R (aside from Hanoi Rocks).

GHS is Michael Monroe's favourite Stones album smiling smiley

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: September 4, 2019 15:30

Don't know if I favour one over the other so I just made a playlist with the best from both!smiling smiley
Adore Hide Your Love on GHS.
But yeah can live without Short n Curlies, also pretty cool on Fingerprint File.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: September 4, 2019 16:07

GHS is a beauty; it may not be as highly considered as what came previously, but on it's own merits it's an album I love. Winter, Coming Down Again, Angie, 100 Years Ago - magic. IORR is an album I love for it's highlights, but it is not as good as GHS. Too much filler creeping in. But it's highpoints are some of the very best Stones tracks of the entire decade - Fingerprint File, Time Waits for No One. Majestic stuff.

As Jordy Licks said, "It presents itself as an underrated gem that's funky, dark, mysterious, and absolutely beautiful with songs like "Coming Down Again", "Angie", and "Winter." It may be on the uneven side at times, but it's not your typical Stones album, and nor have they repeated such an effort ever since".

GHS has an atmosphere, a mood, and while it's not Exile, it's highpoints are sublime.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: September 4, 2019 16:53

Reading threads like these...disappoints me

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: September 4, 2019 17:15

Then - stop reading and you is gonna have the Lord by your side!

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: September 4, 2019 18:07

Dancing with Mr d.. is just not very good..

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 4, 2019 18:22

Both have great moments for me GHS gets the nod because of Winter one of the finest moments in the studio with Jagger singing and setting up MT's solo.

Sometimes I wanna wrap my coat around you
Sometimes I wanna but I can't afford you
Guess I wanna keep you warm, warm, warm
Sometimes I wanna wrap my coat around you, Lord I cry
Sometimes if feels like

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 4, 2019 18:34

GHS for me. My first REAL girlfriend and I listened to it every saturday evening...Before our parents drove one of us home...very romantic stuff...

Date: September 4, 2019 18:42

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

GHS is Michael Monroe's favourite Stones album smiling smiley

Youre kidding! Thanks Dandie, had no idea and yet it all makes sense. Of course it has to be GHS.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: September 4, 2019 18:52

Redhotcarpet
Ghs is the mature album and the last ”real” album with real songs from the real era when they still mattered.

Nailed it.

Of course it suffers by comparison with the Big Four LPs that preceded it, but in retrospect GHS is a really solid album. No filler to speak of, and the songs are actually about something.

IORR is the point where they seem to have decided that having achieved what they set out to do in their chosen idiom, there was nowhere to go but to become a sort of good time party band.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 4, 2019 19:23

combining the best of both albums would have this list of songs on them in my opinion.

if you cant rock me
angie
silver train
luxury
heartbreaker
if you really want to be my friend
fingerprint file
100 years ago

its only rock and roll
winter
aint to proud to beg
star star
time waits for no one
dancing with mr d
short and curlies

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: September 4, 2019 19:37

Erik_Snow
I'm glad they didn't put the cheesy Drift Away and Through The Lonely Nights on IORR, but there's still a few cuts on the album where they sound like a parody of themselves; IYCRM, Till The Next Goodbye, Short and Curlies and Ain't Too Proud To Beg.
I prefer GHS over IORR for sure. Only Mr D and Heartbreaker are somewhat weak, but live versions are terrific. And the last 3 cuts on GHS are the higlights, I'd say

Through The Lonely Nights was actually recorded at the Goats Head Soup sessions and I believe there is an acetate with it included in the Goats Head Soup track listing. In addition, Short and Curlies was also started at the Goats Head Soup sessions. I believe that acetate also included Criss Cross and omitted Winter and Coming Down Again if I remember correctly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-04 19:39 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 4, 2019 19:40

blivet
Redhotcarpet
Ghs is the mature album and the last ”real” album with real songs from the real era when they still mattered.

Nailed it.

Of course it suffers by comparison with the Big Four LPs that preceded it, but in retrospect GHS is a really solid album. No filler to speak of, and the songs are actually about something.

IORR is the point where they seem to have decided that having achieved what they set out to do in their chosen idiom, there was nowhere to go but to become a sort of good time party band.

Yeah, I always assumed it was mainly the experience of the 72/3 tour that brought that shift of attitude. The scene was becoming too crazy to be taken seriously...

Date: September 4, 2019 19:40

<combining the best of both albums>

Fingerprint File
100 Years Ago
Heartbreaker
Angie
Can You Hear The Music
Star Star
If You Really Want To Be My Friend
Luxury
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Coming Down Again

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 4, 2019 19:52

I would add to my IOGHS mix:

Through The Lonely Nights
Criss Cross
Tops
Drift Away
Waiting On A Friend?

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: September 4, 2019 21:11

My "It's Only Goats Head Roll" mix would be - (keeping with the 10 tracks)

If You Can't Rock Me
It's Only Rock n Roll
100 Years Ago
Luxury
Coming Down Again

Star Star
Time Waits For No One
Hide Your Love
Winter
Fingerprint File

Man, I might go home and burn this disc tonight!

Date: September 4, 2019 21:21

"Dancing with Mr. D"
"100 Years Ago"
"Coming Down Again"
"Angie"
"Silver Train"
"Hide Your Love"
"Winter"
"Star Star"

"If You Can't Rock Me"
"Ain't Too Proud to Beg"
"It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)"
"Till the Next Goodbye"
"Time Waits for No One"
"Luxury"
"Dance Little Sister"
"Fingerprint File"

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 4, 2019 21:38

floodonthepage
My "It's Only Goats Head Roll" mix would be - (keeping with the 10 tracks)

If You Can't Rock Me
It's Only Rock n Roll
100 Years Ago
Luxury
Coming Down Again

Star Star
Time Waits For No One
Hide Your Love
Winter
Fingerprint File

Man, I might go home and burn this disc tonight!

If You Can't Rock Me
It's Only Rock n Roll
100 Years Ago
Luxury
Coming Down Again

Star Star
Time Waits For No One
Winter
Heartbreaker
Fingerprint File

Slight adjustment, may need to burn this one!!!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 4, 2019 21:47

for me they are close but IORR has more of my favorite stones' song on it. came out when i was about 14, crucial time!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 4, 2019 22:01

Why limit yourself to 10 songs with an 80 minute disc? A playlist could be even longer. Pick the ones ya like.

Mine (limited to 18 songs - don't actually know if these would all fit on a CD):

Ain't to Proud to Beg
100 Years Ago
Heartbreaker
If You Can't Rock Me
Dance Little Sister
Star Star
Short and Curlies
Fingerprint File
Time Waits For No One

If You Really Want to Be My Friend
Coming Down Again
Tops
Through The Lonely Nights
Can You Hear The Music
Angie
Winter
Waiting On A Friend
Till The Next Goodbye

Sorry Criss Cross, IORR, Mr. D, and Drift Away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-04 22:02 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 4, 2019 23:04

nick1970
Dancing with Mr d.. is just not very good..

It's fantastic on the '73 European Tour.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 4, 2019 23:09

TravelinMan
Ket
GHS is not a great record but I give the band credit for making an honest attempt to change the direction from their last 4 LP'S. It was flawed but did have a few great tracks.

IORR simply did not have any great songs, and some were just downright awful

So GHS wins but tbh black and blue is better than either of them

Except for the sobering fact that Goats Head went RIAA certified 3X platinum, while Black And Blue sold about 2 million less copies. How are we measuring better?

Black And Blue, while more interesting than most of their 80’s catalog, is the epitome of “we have to release an album to stay relevant”.

What pissed me off most about Black and Blue was its brevity. 8 tracks. It seemed a rip off. It was the golden age of vinyl and that's where their money came from. They seemed to be giving us less for our hard earned coin.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 4, 2019 23:11

My GOATS HEAD SOUP:

Dancing With Mr. D
100 Years Ago
Coming Down Again
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Angie
Silver Train
Criss Cross
Winter
Can You Hear The Music
Star Star

As much as I love "Through The Lonely Nights" it's the odd one out for me to put on the album b/c there'd be too many ballads.

My IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N ROLL:

If You Can't Rock Me
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)
Till The Next Goodbye
Time Waits For No One
Sure The One You Need
Luxury
Drift Away
Dance Little Sister
Fingerprint File

There aren't really a lot of substitutions due to the fact they didn't have a lot of material written. "Drift Away" would have been a great fit towards the end of the album. "Sure The One You Need" I always wished Keith had kept for the Stones, it'd have been a great Keith song to sing with them onstage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-04 23:13 by JordyLicks96.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 4, 2019 23:21

I couldn't combine both albums into a single album because they simply have too many tracks I really love and absolutely no duds to speak of.

Instead combining those into a double album with a different track order, adding Drift Away, Through The Lonely Nights and Criss Cross Mind somewhere would be a much more interesting (and fulfilling!) task...

Keeping in mind that Tops and Waiting On A Friend are also from this era emphasizes its greatness even more imho. Also the fact that they gave I Can Feel The Fire away to Ronnie because they didn't need it/couldn't use it...

Let's face it, 1973/1974 and the Some Girls sessions were the last true creative outbursts of the Stones. After that, it became increasingly repetetive...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-05 04:30 by retired_dog.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 4, 2019 23:32

retired_dog
I couldn't combine both albums into a single album because they simply have too many tracks I really love and absolutely no duds to speal of.

Instead combining those into a double album with a different track order, adding Drift Away, Through The Lonely Nights and Criss Cross Mind somewhere would be a much more interesting (and fulfilling!) task...

Keeping in mind that Tops and Waiting On A Friend are also from this era emphasizes its greatness even more imho. Also the fact that they gave I Can Feel The Fire away to Ronnie because they didn't need it/couldn't use it...

Let's face it, 1973/1974 and the Some Girls sessions were the last true creative outburts of the Stones. After that, it became increasingly repetetive...

"I Can Feel The Fire" was never given to Ronnie, it was his song. Where did you get that info from? I really wouldn't call the IORR sessions creative. They barely came out with anything past the 10 released tracks, and even so, IORR is has nothing really that special creative wise, minus "Time Waits For no One" and "Fingerprint File." The GHS and SG sessions I agree were very creative. If you listen to a lot of the UNDERCOVER sessions too, they had a lot of great stuff recorded that never came to fruition.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 4, 2019 23:41

Goat Head Soup won with 0,3 points....I had to relisting all the songs...........

GHS
Dancing With Mr. D – 8
100 Years Ago – 7
Coming Down Again – 7.5
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) – 7
Angie – 10
Silver Train – 9 (could be song from Exile)
Hide Your Love – 7
Winter – 7.5 (I always mix this one up with Moonlight Mile)
Can You Hear The Music? – 6 ( this a difficult one…never liked it back in the day’s but after 40 years I appreciate it more or less)
Star Star - 7

All sound a bit muddy and most of the songs has a predicted process especially the solo’s - 6
Production - 7
Engineering/Sound – 6
Total: 7,3

IORR
If You Can't Rock Me – 7
Ain't Too Proud To Beg – 8
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It) – 8.5
Till the Next Goodbye – 6.5
Time Waits for No One – 7
Luxury – 6
Dance Little Sister – 7 (Exile feeling)
If You Really Want to Be My Friend – 6
Short and Curlies – 7.5 (another Exile song)
Fingerprint File – 8.0 (it sound better then I remember)

All sound a bit muddy ( maybe there is something wrong with my apparatus - 6
Production – 7.5
Engineering/Sound – 7
Total: 7,0

Date: September 4, 2019 23:43

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-04 23:47 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 4, 2019 23:44

24FPS
TravelinMan
Ket
GHS is not a great record but I give the band credit for making an honest attempt to change the direction from their last 4 LP'S. It was flawed but did have a few great tracks.

IORR simply did not have any great songs, and some were just downright awful

So GHS wins but tbh black and blue is better than either of them

Except for the sobering fact that Goats Head went RIAA certified 3X platinum, while Black And Blue sold about 2 million less copies. How are we measuring better?

Black And Blue, while more interesting than most of their 80’s catalog, is the epitome of “we have to release an album to stay relevant”.

What pissed me off most about Black and Blue was its brevity. 8 tracks. It seemed a rip off. It was the golden age of vinyl and that's where their money came from. They seemed to be giving us less for our hard earned coin.

The album was just as long as the others, though.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1678
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home