Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
IORR album vs Goats Head Soup
Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: September 3, 2019 18:46

It's only rock n roll is a better album than goats head soup.. discuss..
I recently bought them on cd having not really listened to them in their entirety.
Perhaps it's because the iorr album feels more accessible.luxury,till the next goodbye, ain't too proud to beg, and if you can't rock me, are highlights.
Just a thought, I think a rule of thumb is to almost take the less liked albums almost in isolation, and listen accordingly.
There is some great stuff on them!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-17 16:28 by bv.

Re: Iorr album v goats head soup
Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: September 3, 2019 18:51

I have always preferred GHS.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 3, 2019 19:00

GHS is a gem with it’s weird vibes/moods, a great Keith cut, a couple of classic rockers in Star Star & Heartbreaker. IORR is weakest album of the 70’s imo - I like the title cut and If You Can’t Rock Me but that’s about it for the originals, which pretty generic.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: September 3, 2019 19:01

One difference is the production, the sound. GHS sounds a bit murky and oldfashioned, whereas IORR sounds fresher, more powerful and modern for its time. One little aspect that I dont hear many people talk about is Charlie's superb and energetic drumming on IORR.
GHS to me always was the one album with Mick Taylor on it that doesn't quite live up to the high standard that was set with the previous couple of albums. Still, I do appreciate it a lot.

Date: September 3, 2019 19:03

Another thought is that luxury works better than some other stones reggae such as cherry oh baby.im my opinion.

Date: September 3, 2019 19:07

Oddly, I always liked title track the least. But saw them do it in Manchester 2018 and it's very good, I smile at the video as well

Date: September 3, 2019 19:11

Two poorly produced albums, sound-wise - with IORR as the absolute nadir in their catalogue, imo (the mixing).

As an album, concerning the songwriting, the performances and the collection of songs - I have to give a nod to GHS. IORR is too uneven.

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: September 3, 2019 19:53

Fortunately, we have both to choose from.

By 1973, they were starting to re-record and re-write their past, sort of.

Dancing with Mr D - an afterglow of "satanism" e.g.Sympathy

StarF - a story of how fun it used to be; a Chuck Berry re-make, worse than originals

Can you hear the music - they couldn´t hear themselves knocking, anymore

And Billy Preston´s stupid clavinet marred otherwise great songs

It´s only R&R - why didn´t they do Rock and Roll music instead?

Ain´t too proud to beg - Drift away had been the better choice

If you really want to be my friend & Short and curlies - seldom have they managed to include two songs as stupid and meaningless as those

But both albums have also great tracks, so let´s be grateful!

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 3, 2019 20:10

i started a thread a couple of weeks ago regarding how people judge one album from another.

its only rock and roll and goats heap soup were measured along with some girls.

i think the top end of ghs is better than the iorr equivalent. but ghs has more filler, both are very good albums but iorr has more good songs and less filler, both are very good though, but always suffer in comparison to what went before.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: September 3, 2019 20:14

Often a tough pairing to pick a winner, but for me it comes down to ---

It's Only Rock and Roll

First of all, the cover. Before you hear a note, the IORR cover is classic. Same artist who did Bowie's "Diamond Dogs". The cover of GHS is kind of a drag, as is much of the music. I mean the cloth even drags across Mick's face. It evokes a bit of murky mystery, but ultimately not a classic cover.

Now for the music.

GHS seems like a letdown after Exile. I know people have called Exile a "Keith album" and GHS a "Mick album". I can see where that might be coming from, but it feels to me like the Glimmers have great moments and contributions on each. IORR, for better or worse, feels like an entrance into a new era whereas GHS feels like the fading of one. That said, I love "Winter", "100 Years Ago", "Coming Down Again" "Starf*cker" and "Hide Your Love". Never been much of an "Angie" fan. "Heartbreaker" has grown on me somewhat, but it's hardly a top song for me. "Can You Hear the Music" feels like a B-Side and I wish they'd put "Criss Cross Man" on the album in it's place. "Silver Train" and "Dancing with Mr. D" seem like throw aways with Mr. D maybe being the worst leading track on an album in their whole discography.

IORR conversely takes off from the get-go. IORR is indeed poorly produced, but the mud works for me especially on the rock tracks and the almighty "Fingerprint File"...though I'm still trying to get used to the speed-corrected slower version after growing up with the faster one. There's no wonderful ballad like "Winter" but I do like "Til the Next Goodbye" and "Time Waits For No One" and there's the duet with Blue Magic and the soul of "If You Really Want to be My Friend". "If You Can't Rock Me" into "Aint Too Proud To Beg" is a very solid 1-2 punch, with the title track being no slouch in the third slot. "Short and Curlies", "Luxury" and "Dance Little Sister" are kind of the sleepers for me, but IORR is the winner for me over GHS by a slim margin...just for the total package of it all.

Ultimately my pick is perhaps obvious considering my username. cool smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-04 17:48 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 3, 2019 20:34

I'm glad they didn't put the cheesy Drift Away and Through The Lonely Nights on IORR, but there's still a few cuts on the album where they sound like a parody of themselves; IYCRM, Till The Next Goodbye, Short and Curlies and Ain't Too Proud To Beg.
I prefer GHS over IORR for sure. Only Mr D and Heartbreaker are somewhat weak, but live versions are terrific. And the last 3 cuts on GHS are the higlights, I'd say

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 3, 2019 20:37

I have to go with IORR

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 3, 2019 20:51

While the difference between the two is significant (from Jimmy Miller to Glimmer Twins, and no horns on IORR) they are both somehow lumped together for me as they were both disappointments with overlong songs. The package for IORR also recycles the same inner sleeve concept as GHS, with song listings/credits on one side and pictures of sidemen on the other.

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 3, 2019 21:09

GHS is a good album. It has character, it's own special mood. Some days you feel only GHS can fit. Some cold winter nights...it brings back a lot of old memories. IORR is nice. Yes, it sounds like a self parody, although it has some good songs. I think IYCRM is a big miss.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 3, 2019 21:16

With GHS, their "Golden Age" might have come to a close but their songwriting was still very mature. GHS was probably the first album that even your parents would like from the Stones. It presents itself as an underrated gem that's funky, dark, mysterious, and absolutely beautiful with songs like "Coming Down Again", "Angie", and "Winter." It may be on the uneven side at times, but it's not your typical Stones album, and nor have they repeated such an effort ever since.

With IORR, the Stones tried to bring back a simplistic rock formula to the table. For the first time though, a Stones by the numbers album was released. Some of it rocked, but at the same time felt very, "been there, done that." There are a few great songs on Side 1, but by the time Side 2 comes, it feels very stale. "Dance Little Sister" while catchy, is not anything special. "If You Really Want To Be My Friend" is a dull, boring number that takes 6 minutes to get through. "Short and Curlies" might be the first time there was filler on a Stones album, and for a band that had released EXILE ON MAIN STREET a few years earlier, this song is downright terrible by Stones standards. IORR felt like the first time the Stones had grown into their "rock gods" state of mind to the point where they were seen as an "outdated band."

So while IORR does have the self-titled hit and a few other good songs, GHS is the better and underrated gem that is considered to be the druggy fallout from EXILE and the 1972 Tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-03 21:17 by JordyLicks96.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 3, 2019 22:08

GHS vs. IORR Deathmatch WINNER

Mr. D. vs. IYCRM: IYCRM
100 Years vs. Ain't To Proud: 100 yrs.
Coming Down vs. IORR: IORR
HeartBreaker vs. Goodbye: Heartbreaker
Angie vs. Time Waits: Time Waits
Silver Train vs. Luxury: Luxury
Hide YL vs. Dance Sister: Dance sister
Winter vs. Be My Friend: Winter
Hear Music vs. Curlies: Music
Star Star vs. FingerPrint: Star Star

My result is a tie. Slight nod to GHS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-03 22:10 by Maindefender.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 3, 2019 23:13

I’ll have to really dig into this later, but

“Dancing With Mr. D(eath)” is a great Voodoo bluesy thing with a relentless Richards riff. Some call it tame, but I think it’s colorful.

“Star****er” is an awesome Richards lead, one of my favs. The lyrics crack me up. This puts “Short And Curlies” to shame in all categories.

“Winter” and “Coming Down Again” are excellent, so is “Angie”. Sorry, the Stones have feelings too!

There are some crunchy tunes on IORR, but the sound isn’t there for me. The mixing lacks depth and it’s sort of lame production wise. I love a few cuts on there though.

Goat’s Head all day for me, but I think IORR has a lot of potential.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 4, 2019 00:07

GHS has more emotional depth, a weariness with a world wide smash single 'Angie'. IORR is more commercially listenable. I remember thinking what a letdown GHS was after Exile. I remember being irritated when the single 'IORR' was released, thinking how dare they put down rock and roll as something trivial. I think they're about even albums. I listen to both of them about as often as the other. With time I see they were much better albums than what was to come in the 80s.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: September 4, 2019 01:00

GHS is a fantastic album. Too bad it’s so badly produced. Iorr is the same. Badly produced, but songwise, it’s not as good as GHS.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 4, 2019 01:03

I agree. I love the Iorr record. Ghs isnt bad and is probably a better album quality wise - I know it is - but I just live the sleazy iorr. Dance little sister, IYCRM, Till the nest time, TWFN...those are some of my favourite songs. Iorr is very high on my list.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 4, 2019 01:21

haven’t listened to both albums in decades. Heck I don’t even own them, discuss.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 4, 2019 01:27

Heck Koen …. guess ya gotta think of
the $$$ ya saved and the pleasures ya missed …….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 4, 2019 02:42

I know It's Only Rock n'Roll But I Like it
Could be written on my gravestone in Sharpie and I'd be a happy stiff.

But the truth is we don't have to choose. We can like 'em both.
I'll take one GHS and one IORR over just one of either of em.
Like Yogi said, when ya come to a fork in the road: take it.

Date: September 4, 2019 02:58

I do love the artwork on IORR more. It would have been cool to see the proposed centaur artwork on Goats Head.

The songs “It’s Only Rock And Roll”, “Time Waits For No One”, “Till The Next Goodbye”, and “Fingerprint File” are my favorites from IORR.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: September 4, 2019 03:22

GHS is not a great record but I give the band credit for making an honest attempt to change the direction from their last 4 LP'S. It was flawed but did have a few great tracks.

IORR simply did not have any great songs, and some were just downright awful

So GHS wins but tbh black and blue is better than either of them

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-04 03:32 by Ket.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 4, 2019 05:21

GHS is an acquired taste that never grew on for me. Adventurous but unfocused.
It’s Only Rock’n Roll...but I like it. Derivative but enjoyable.
TWFNO alone is better than ANY song on GHS IMHO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-04 16:51 by RisingStone.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 4, 2019 05:28

Goat's Head Soup all day long for me, though I like both albums.

Date: September 4, 2019 06:39

Ket
GHS is not a great record but I give the band credit for making an honest attempt to change the direction from their last 4 LP'S. It was flawed but did have a few great tracks.

IORR simply did not have any great songs, and some were just downright awful

So GHS wins but tbh black and blue is better than either of them

Except for the sobering fact that Goats Head went RIAA certified 3X platinum, while Black And Blue sold about 2 million less copies. How are we measuring better?

Black And Blue, while more interesting than most of their 80’s catalog, is the epitome of “we have to release an album to stay relevant”.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: September 4, 2019 07:28

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-04 07:52 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 4, 2019 08:03

kristian
Fortunately, we have both to choose from.

By 1973, they were starting to re-record and re-write their past, sort of.

Dancing with Mr D - an afterglow of "satanism" e.g.Sympathy

That's just very poor pathetic journalistic crap your regurgitating, which itself is pathetic - no different than sayig Keith fell out of a coconut tree - 100% false.

Come up with something original to say about the song; for example: it's The Beatles' Day Tripper slowed down and given a different key as only The Stones could do it - I just don't happen to care for it.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2042
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home