Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The No Filter Tour (so far): Your best show 2017/2018/2019 ?
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 31, 2019 12:08

2017 (6 shows): a tie. Hamburg (near my hometown, went there with great people,
great setlist, huge crowd) and Arnhem (went with great friends, great crowd,
met great people, fantastic sound - the guitars ruled) ... but Paris II was also fantastic...

2018 (3 shows): Stuttgart - (best weather, fantastic crowd, band in TOP form, caught his shirt smileys with beer )

2019 (2 shows): East Rutherford II - perfect weather, a mixed up setlist
(Harlem Shuffle), met an old friend (Marcelo from Argentina) and we both met
DJUncleMike from NYC - he drove us home to Manhattan in a ´69 Dodge! Unbelievable experience!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-31 14:08 by TooTough.

Re: The No Filter Tour (so far): Your best show 2017/2018/2019 ?
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 31, 2019 12:31

Stuttgart last summer was indeed a great show with a great crowd on a great day. For me it was a full circle sort of event because I first saw them 19 years earlier just a few yards from there. Hamburg 2017 on the other hand was the absolute worst show I've ever been to. Passive-aggressive stand-your-ground type of crowd. Impressive setlist, but the band was so lifeless and out of sync I really felt sorry for them. And embarrassed because I went with my girlfriend who was supposed to finally understand what made me such a nutcase. We ended up continually rolling joints, trying to ignore the folks around us and having more beers than we could afford. It didn't make it any better. Half of the show I had to fight the urge to pee and I wasn't the only one. I am so grateful for the 2018 tour because had that been my last show, it would have been a terrible way to go out.

Posted by: GJB ()
Date: August 31, 2019 12:57

Didn’t attend any 2019 shows but from the European legs:

Controversial choice: Hamburg - I know the stones were a little static as it was first night but the setlist was amazing, plus first night’s of the tour are always most exciting for me as you don’t know what’s coming.

Best playing: As someone stated, Paris 2 was a fantastic show. The band were on top form - paint it black was the most powerful it had been all tour. Mick was in complete control - I believe this was the start of the “hitting” Charlie’s drums on Street Fighting Man. They were all just having fun and it was great to see.

Outside choice: London 1 was pretty good - they were on it because it was ‘coming home’. We got street fighting man as a surprise opener and they played Fool to Cry - Mick had the audience right in his control and worked the crowd great.

Dublin was probably my least favourite (of the 13 that I attended) - no particular reason why, it just didn’t feel that special to me - I think maybe opening with Synoathy in the daylight set the wrong tone in my mind for the gig.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: August 31, 2019 13:46

2017 Hamburg and Paris 2

2018 London 2 and Manchester

2019 Metlife NJ

SC UK

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: August 31, 2019 15:12

2017 (7 Shows)

Hamburg was very special. It had a great setlist, a completely new stage and the location was beautiful with good food. Overall a great experience because I didn't know what to expect.

Arnheim was on fire. They played really good and were on top of their game.

2018 (10 shows)

London 1 was special as they corrected some thingd that didn't work out in Dublin. Hearing them open with SFM was such a blast and Fool To Cry was a big surprise.

Stuttgart - being in the Pit with 14 friends near my hometown. Boring setlist but maybe the best playing of the whole tour. Great Day, great memories.

2019 (4 shows)

Less shows than originally planned, but I would rank Denver, Seattle, Santa Clara and Pasadena equally. The setlists were a bit steril by the end of the tour but they played their ass off.

All in all we had a great tour so far and I think every year and every show had its moments. I Love the Stones. Thank you!!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 31, 2019 16:53

2018 (4 shows- Manchester, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Twickenham)

Manchester - 1st time I had ever set foot in to the UK. Took a red eye flight from Seattle, tube to London, train to Manchester, bus to the stadium, where a rare *single LD landed me in the Pit, Keith's side.. great, great, show and experience! Middle of the set had Shattered, Just Your Fool, Let's Spend The Night Together. Fantastic first gig in England!

Edinburgh- Stunningly beautiful location and fantastic time! She's a Rainbow was a standout for me. A little rain falling made it feel like home cool smiley

Cardiff - Magical place and fantastic show.. would win best show for me if not for Twickenham. Sound was fantastic and Paint It Black, Just Your Fool, Get Off Of My Cloud, Like A Rolling Stone were all awesome and the crowd was the best!

Twickenham- Best show for me of the four. To see the boys in as close to where it all started for them as possible was awesome. Spent several days exploring the area, Eel Pie Museum, Richmond etc., came away with a much greater understanding of the history of the band (and a new UK tongue tatt!)

2019- (6 shows- Chicago 1 & 2, New Jersey 1 & 2, Seattle, Santa Clara)

Tough to pick a "best of" from these, all fantastic shows and great times.

Chicago 1 was special, the excitement and anticipation of being at the opener after Mick's health scare was awesome. Angie on the B-stage a standout.

Chicago 2 had perhaps the best setlist of the tour. Both Chicago shows with 20 song setlists were great! Monkey Man along with Ride 'em on Down, and Play with Fire on the B-stage were standouts.

*Shoutout to andee and Topi for helping out by sharing a room etc in Chicago after a good friend of mine had to cancel due to a heart attack. Great times, great fans and great people!! Thanks again.. cool smiley

New Jersey 1 was a fantastic experience! A week in NY for both shows was a highlight of the summer tour. Great time, great fans! She's a Rainbow, a stand out as well here, great stadium song.

New Jersey 2 another great show with the second show in the same venue getting another outstanding setlist. Harlem Shuffle, Monkey Man and Let it Bleed on the B -stage were standouts!

Seattle was an absolute fantastic time for me. Hometown gig that I was fortunate to be able to take my son, granddaughter and other family members for their first show ever. Have been disappointed in my hometown crowd in the past, but this show was magical. Gorgeous full moon setting in a beautiful stadium was my best show in Seattle, where I've attended every show since '81. You Got Me Rocking and Beast of Burden were setlist standouts.
Fantastic night!!

Santa Clara wins best of the US leg for me.
A road trip down there from Seattle with an old friend who had to cancel on a few of the earlier shows due to having the same heart procedure Mick did, after Mick's, and as a result of a heart attack as opposed to a diagnosis made this one extra special. We drew pit lucky dips, and as he had never experienced the pit before, it was perfect. Met some great IORR fans at the hotel (shoutout to Hairball cool smiley ) had an absolute fantastic time on the whole road trip! Setlist standouts were Out of Control, Rocks Off and Let it Bleed again on the B-stage.

Great way to end my run of shows for the tour, and if (God forbid) it was my last show ever, was one of my best ever! But, I don't believe it will be.. Here's to the next leg smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-31 17:25 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: August 31, 2019 18:02

I like all the shows especially Denver,Seattle, Barrie, Glendale.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 31, 2019 19:02

Of the shows I didn't not attend: a tie between Chicago #1 and Miami - the bookends of current leg of the tour, and both had alot of drama and uncertainty leading up to them.

Of the shows I did attend:

Not an easy one to answer, and have tried wrapping my head around it and putting it into words since I was asked a few days ago in the Pasadena thread.
Rather than trying to describe it again, going to make this easy with a little bit of cut and paste.

I've realized it's impossible to say which was the absolute "best so far" as all had many very high points sprinkled with a few weak spots.
And there's too many variables to narrow it down to one - setlists, performances, seat location, venue, city, and all around experience.
In other words they were ALL fantastic for one reason or another.

That said, I have a soft spot for Chicago #2 as it was the first time seeing them again since the underwhelming *Vegas '16 show.
And when you consider all the ups and downs leading up to the shows itself (Mick's health, postponement, etc.) - to see them explode on stage was euphoric from start to finish.
Ironically, of the shows I attended, I had the furthest seats from the stage at that show (w/my wife) up in Sec 340 about a third of the way back, but it was a perfect perspective to take in the entire spectacle.

Then there's Santa Clara - Lucky Dip Pit 2...enough said. F*cking AMAZING!!!

Pasadena - my home turf in Southern California and at the iconic Rose Bowl, and definitely up there with the rest.
Had a seat 11 rows behind Pit Ronnie's side, and loved every minute of it from the pre-show Fan Fest to the fireworks that ended the night. FANTASTIC!

Glendale is definitely a contender if I was forced to choose - again Lucky Dip Pit 2 (thank you Jesus, thank you lord!)and hanging out with close friends in the Pit.
Mick stepped it up from previous shows, and was the star of the show - absolutely amazing! The show was HOT, HOT, HOT!

Maybe some day I'll analyze the boots and dissect the performance note for note, and maybe then I'll be able to tell you which was "the best" - at least as far as performances go.
But as of right now, I'm floating in Rolling Stones bliss and am thankful for each of the shows I was able to attend for hundreds of different reasons - they were all "the best so far"!

And then a day or two later, I think I sort of boiled it all down to this in the Glendale thread:

I still can't pick and an absolute favorite of the shows I saw, or maybe I just won't pick a favorite as each one was a thrill in their own unique way. I see it as four continuous chapters in a book of epic proportions.
Or like the Godfather I and II...hard to separate those two movies as I consider them as one lengthy masterpiece when combined together. With that in mind, and n the case of the Stones shows I saw this tour,
I'll consider them as an incredible saga - The Stones I, The Stones II, The Stones III, and The Stones IV...all part of one great masterpiece!

I know it might sound wishy washy, but that's really how I feel about it. To add another fresh thought to all of this today, seeing many old friends and meeting meeting many new friends along the way has added to the entire experience as it always does. Cheers to everyone - it's been a gas, gas, gas. thumbs up

Looking forward to the next chapter!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 31, 2019 19:15

MisterDDDD
shoutout to Hairball cool smiley

It was a pleasure meeting and hanging out with you in Santa Clara MisterDDDD, and an extra special shoutout to our good friend Dave the Merch Truck driver who provided us many great memories!

smileys with beer

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: August 31, 2019 20:22

Could only afford one - Jacksonville, but it was great.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 31, 2019 20:31

This is an extremely difficult question to answer. Every show has more than several brilliant moments. How do you choose? It's like asking which child you love most (not that I have children but you get my drift I'm sure.)

Posted by: Delta ()
Date: August 31, 2019 20:40

Seattle and the Rose Bowl. Both were special.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: August 31, 2019 20:50

16 shows for me.

Very happy with them all, especially Hamburg, London 1, 2, 3 & East Rutherford 1.

Posted by: toostoned ()
Date: September 1, 2019 00:09

Copenhagen - Arnhem - London2

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: September 1, 2019 01:22

I have seen only 1 , in Landover md.
Very special because they played Mercy Mercy.
The show excellent and the overall feeling that the audience projected was of real satisfaction!
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: September 1, 2019 02:48

Ranked in order. London 2, Coventry, Southampton, London 1, Dublin, Seattle.

If I weren’t Irish Dublin would be last, and I’m being unfair to the Seattle gig, as London 1 and Seattle were equally good.

Sympathy as an opener didn’t work in the same way as JJF & SFM did. Especially in the bright light and it needed the crowd involved. There were a good few empty seats in Croke Park as the stones started.

Posted by: MidnightGambler ()
Date: September 1, 2019 09:08

2017 : 3 concerts in Paris U Arena : The second was the best.
2018 : Southampton Berlin Marseille Warszawa: Marseille and Warszawa were the best.
2019 : 2 concerts in Chicago : by far, the first was the best (Sad Sad Sad was an absolute killer).
In general, concerts starting with Street Fighting Man are better.
As I saw them every year with no exceptions from 2012 to 2019, I Hope to see them again by 2020......

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: September 1, 2019 09:53

Barcelona

Nate

Date: September 1, 2019 10:37

London I and Amsterdam were the two best shows I attended, in that order.

Hamburg was special, too.

Posted by: jplambert ()
Date: September 1, 2019 11:28

2017 : Barcelone + 3 Concerts in Paris U ARENA
2018 : Marseille
2019 : Chicago 2 concerts I prefer the second
2020 : I hope !!!!

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: September 1, 2019 11:53

steffialicia
This is an extremely difficult question to answer. Every show has more than several brilliant moments. How do you choose? It's like asking which child you love most (not that I have children but you get my drift I'm sure.)

Come on, everyone has their favourite child x

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 1, 2019 11:53

2017 (6 shows: Hamburg, Munich, Düsseldorf, Arnhem, Paris II, Paris III): Hamburg for the setlist, but Keith more or less asleep), Arnhem (best performance)

2018 (6 shows: Dublin, London I, London II, Berlin, Stuttgart, Prague)
London II (setlist), Stuttgart (best performance but boring setlist)

2019 (no shows)

Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: September 1, 2019 16:54

2017 (2 shows - Lucca, Barcelona)

Lucca had an amazing atmosphere with the beautiful location and appreciative crowd, and was an awesome performance. Possibly my favourite show of No Filter so far.

2018 (3 shows - Twickenham, Marseille, Stuttgart)

Stuttgart was the stand out performance with an excellent set list.

2019 (3 shows - New Jersey II, Denver, Seattle)

New Jersey II had the best set list, but Seattle had the best atmosphere and loudest crowd response.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: September 1, 2019 20:11

GJB
Mick was in complete control - I believe this was the start of the “hitting” Charlie’s drums on Street Fighting Man. They were all just having fun and it was great to see.
He did it also in Stockholm 2017

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: September 1, 2019 21:04

I have to agree. Hamburg 2017 blew my mind and Paris II was fantastic.
Stuttgart 2018 LD Keiths pit - band in TOP form. True!

TooTough
2017 (6 shows): a tie. Hamburg (near my hometown, went there with great people,
great setlist, huge crowd) and Arnhem (went with great friends, great crowd,
met great people, fantastic sound - the guitars ruled) ... but Paris II was also fantastic...

2018 (3 shows): Stuttgart - (best weather, fantastic crowd, band in TOP form, caught his shirt smileys with beer )

2019 (2 shows): East Rutherford II - perfect weather, a mixed up setlist
(Harlem Shuffle), met an old friend (Marcelo from Argentina) and we both met
DJUncleMike from NYC - he drove us home to Manhattan in a ´69 Dodge! Unbelievable experience!

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: September 1, 2019 21:45

Hairball

Maybe some day I'll analyze the boots and dissect the performance note for note, and maybe then I'll be able to tell you which was "the best" - at least as far as performances go.

Cheers to everyone - it's been a gas, gas, gas. thumbs up

The problem with a review/looking at a show, uploaded here, it's always going to be someone else's point of view, right?

I loved your sentiment though, thanks for sharing how I feel

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 2, 2019 03:04

midimannz
Hairball

Cheers to everyone - it's been a gas, gas, gas. thumbs up

The problem with a review/looking at a show, uploaded here, it's always going to be someone else's point of view, right?

I loved your sentiment though, thanks for sharing how I feel

Midi, I know u r waiting for the fourth leg and the show in Auckland and maybe a few Down Under.

plexi

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 2, 2019 03:08

Paris 2. Best show ever I have seen, ever.

2017 -3 shows
2018 -3 shows
2019 -4 shows

plexi

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-02 03:13 by timbernardis.

Posted by: benstones ()
Date: September 2, 2019 08:14

The shows I attented:

2017: Paris I, Paris II and Paris III. The three shows were great but my favorite was Paris I and II - except for a HORRIBLE ORGANISATION.

2018: I did London 2, Marseille, Stuttgart and Warsaw. The best show was Warsaw (maybe the best show ever for me) and then Marseille.

2019 : I only did Glendale and it was a terrific show. Mick was ON FIRE. Indeed Keith was very calm but was very concentrated and played perfectly.

So my favorite show was definitely Warsaw but I also loved Marseille and Paris.

Benjamin.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: September 2, 2019 08:25

I attended 6 shows. Favourites were Lucca and Arnhem.

I attended 5 shows. Favourites were Edinburgh and Warsaw.

I only attended New Orleans.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1276
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home