Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Opinion: 1972 Tour or 1973 European Tour?
Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: August 31, 2019 02:22

US 1972 was Exile On Main St. tour.
Europe 1973 was Goats Head Soup tour.
1972 all the way for me.

(And what if the cancelled Japan 1973, Budokan residency 28 Jan-1 Feb, had actually happened..?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-31 02:35 by RisingStone.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 31, 2019 05:05

I dig 73, the band really gelled and it had a different feel. But you can't beat 72. The set list alone makes it superior. Sweet Virginia, LIV and Bye Bye Johnny... I mean come on.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: August 31, 2019 08:21

wonderboy
GasLightStreet
Regardless of which one was better, something bizarre happened after the 1973 tour: they gave up.

With Exile and those tours they peaked in several ways. Artistically they had melded Americana styles of music and filtered it through their own style and experiences, then taken it on the road and killed. In the pop culture, they were the world's greatest rock and roll band.
Where do you go from there? Especially when you have seen the down side of youthful, '60s idealism that they were going to change the world. They just decided, It's Only Rock and Roll, after all.
They were always cynical, but now their idealism disappeared. And with Taylor leaving, they lost his professionalism and artistry and didn't challenge themselves as much. Didn't Nicky Hopkins also fade away after the 1972 tour?

I think he performed with them during the "Winter Tour" in '73 but never performed with them on stage again after that, just did studio stuff with them. The last thing I believe he contributed with them was "No Use In Crying" during the EMOTIONAL RESCUE sessions.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 31, 2019 09:35

JordyLicks96
I think he performed with them during the "Winter Tour" in '73 but never performed with them on stage again after that, just did studio stuff with them.

Hopkins guested in Anaheim 1978

Date: August 31, 2019 09:42

Hopkins also played beautifully on ER together with Bobby.

Two of the reason why I love that album smiling smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 31, 2019 10:16

Pietro
A matter of taste, of course, but I prefer the 1973 tour because Billy Preston played keyboards, not Nicky Hopkins. Hopkins could tickle the keys but Preston could really work them. Also Preston played organ as well as piano. Listen to the weight he brings to "Midnight Rambler" with his organ playing.

Thats why I can’t compare. 72 is brilliant but so is 73.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 31, 2019 14:28

All I know is that those 2 tours are better than all the ones who will follow...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: September 1, 2019 07:42

powerage78
All I know is that those 2 tours are better than all the ones who will follow...

I agree that after Mick Taylor left, they never sounded the same on stage, but I still think they had some amazing performances. When they were tight in '78 and '81, man they were INSANELY great.

Date: September 1, 2019 12:08

Every Stones-tour between 1967 and 1981/82 had a different sound. That's quite unique!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-01 12:08 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 1, 2019 18:36

Off course ..... the 1973 tour, having experienced it myself. And I love the Bruxelles Affair recording. But I am sure the (age old grinning smiley) North Americans will think it is the 1972 tour. Anyone could find small “differences”, but it’s the memories that count. They (with Mick T.) were great then, and they (with Ronnie W.) are still great now, even though I had to miss them this time live, but thanks to IORR and the fans I could still feel close by.
I hope 2020 arrives soon.
smileys with beer

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 1, 2019 18:37

[www.youtube.com]

Brown Sugar sure sounded better in 1973 tour verse 1972 opening number. I like the
distortion MT had for the 73 tour but the 72 tour was power packed with energy by the band.

Posted by: 751st ()
Date: September 1, 2019 18:53

For rock n roll decadence 72 for the music and bands playing 73.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 1, 2019 19:34

Very interesting thread. I have to agree with Mathijs take above that I think we probably tend to judge the 1973 tour by the Brussels bootlegs (Bedspring Symphony, etc) as a representative show from 73. Even though the playing on that particular show was exceptional, other shows I have heard from that time period were less spectacular performance wise. However, it is a matter of taste, but I prefer the 73 shows as I think they elevated their game (nice sax solo on Can't Always Get), Billy Preston on organ (as Pietro stated above) adding another dimension to Midnight Rambler, and lastly the new GHS tunes that they were showcasing (Star Star, Heartbreaker, Dancing with Mr D) as a whole sound pretty nice during this tour. I wish they would have rotated more of the tunes that they played during 72 into the European 73 sets (Bitch, Love In Vain, Sweet Virginia).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-02 08:25 by Sighunt.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: September 1, 2019 23:14

Australia ('73?), especially Perth.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 1, 2019 23:44

Love both '72 and '73, but by '73 they were just slightly over the top with the glam, distorted guitars, Taylor noodling (though I love most of it), Mick jumping around in his eye shadow ... the '72 tour has more "roots" in it, a bit more of the blues left intact (Love In Vain, Sweet Virginia, etc.), and appears more graceful and controlled in a way.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: September 4, 2019 19:56

I was able to see the Stones play on both tours. Chicago and Denver in 72 and one of the Essen shows in 73 while I was traveling around Europe. The band was in terrific form for all three concerts musically. The differences were the welcome inclusion of some GHS songs in Europe, while the 72 tour was more focused on the EOMS album. The US concerts I attended were reserved seating where Essen was cool as a general admission event which I happen to like. The Chicago show at the Amphitheater was a very high energy affair. Fans really into it, while Denver was more laid back in comparison. Big crowd surge down the aisles towards the stage in Chicago when they launched into Brown Sugar. Not so in Denver. Since it was general admission in Essen people were happy to hold their ground and there wasn't any pushing or shoving to get closer to the stage. I loved Stevie Wonder as the opener in 72. Really warmed up the crowds. I recall Billy Preston and Mick Taylor playing in the Essen opener. Was it Kracker? The boys were hitting on all cylinders for both tours, but the arrangements a bit more refined for Essen compared with the 72 concerts imho.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 4, 2019 23:20

Interesting first hand accounts, filstan! thumbs up

Date: September 4, 2019 23:35

filstan
I was able to see the Stones play on both tours. Chicago and Denver in 72 and one of the Essen shows in 73 while I was traveling around Europe. The band was in terrific form for all three concerts musically. The differences were the welcome inclusion of some GHS songs in Europe, while the 72 tour was more focused on the EOMS album. The US concerts I attended were reserved seating where Essen was cool as a general admission event which I happen to like. The Chicago show at the Amphitheater was a very high energy affair. Fans really into it, while Denver was more laid back in comparison. Big crowd surge down the aisles towards the stage in Chicago when they launched into Brown Sugar. Not so in Denver. Since it was general admission in Essen people were happy to hold their ground and there wasn't any pushing or shoving to get closer to the stage. I loved Stevie Wonder as the opener in 72. Really warmed up the crowds. I recall Billy Preston and Mick Taylor playing in the Essen opener. Was it Kracker? The boys were hitting on all cylinders for both tours, but the arrangements a bit more refined for Essen compared with the 72 concerts imho.

Wow! Thanks for sharing filstan!! It must have been amazing to see them back than. You were so lucky to see them during both of those tours!! thumbs upcool smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2034
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home