Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Miami Song Vote
Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: August 29, 2019 15:45

BOB is one of my all time fav songs of any band. Period.

That being said I am partial to late 70's & early 80's versions.
'
I really like UMT. Dont hear it enough and enjoy the 60's & 80's versions as well as the 70's ...I did consider this as I probably haven't heard it as much as BOB overall thru the years. Heartbreaker I last heard in Milwaukee and LWM was just my overall least fav of the four choices. That being said, LWM is a fine tune that I would have been proud to write/play/sing.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 29, 2019 18:27

BOB, mine too, chrism13.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: August 29, 2019 19:41

This is pretty much very amusing - they play what they choose to play and all this "song vote" is, of course, just a part of the game.

There are lots of people who want to hear the early 60`s catalogue, lots of folks who are just dying to hear their late 60`s catalogue, 70`s catalogue 1971 - 1974 is a must for millions of us (incl me), for some folks 1976 - 81 is the best and so on.

But does anybody REALLY want to hear their songs from, say 1989 onwards?

Their frontman, who has time on his side, must know this but as he dosen´t want to be part of any oldies or nostalgia act, insists on performing their "new material", which may be good, but is totally forgettable.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 29, 2019 21:02

All I can think is Mercy Mercy somehow.

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: August 29, 2019 21:53

kristian
they play what they choose to play and all this "song vote" is, of course, just a part of the game.

There are lots of people who want to hear the early 60`s catalogue, lots of folks who are just dying to hear their late 60`s catalogue, 70`s catalogue 1971 - 1974 is a must for millions of us (incl me), for some folks 1976 - 81 is the best and so on.

That's why there is no "write in" fifth option for the song vote.

Otherwise, hundreds, even thousands who visit this message board would write in "Gomper" etc.

They would have to rehearse every album they recorded front to back between 1964 and 1983, and tour rehearsals would be infinitely longer than the actual tour itself, all for that one song vote slot in the set list.

Date: August 29, 2019 22:34

It's a shame they can't have a song vote like The Cure where the fans get to pick the entire set list.

If things don't go smoothly with the setlist the fans choose they just crank out a couple of hits to change the flow.

Can you imagine if we got to pick all 19/20 songs for each show?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 29, 2019 22:43

kristian
This is pretty much very amusing - they play what they choose to play and all this "song vote" is, of course, just a part of the game.

Sigh (last one for the tour cool smiley )

Voting is tied to a contest and undoubtably legit. They can stack the deck with song choices of course, but have zero incentive to falsify and legal incentives not to.

"By entering your email you will be able to cast your song vote and will automatically be entered in for the chance to win “Pit” tickets to the Rolling Stones US show at the Hard Rock Stadium Miami, FL, on August 31. The winner will be chosen at random and notified by email on Friday August 23, if the winner does not respond to claim the tickets by 9am ET on Monday August 26 an alternative winner will be chosen. Travel and accommodation is not included in the prize, no cash value for tickets can be exchanged, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize at any time without giving notice. Only one vote per email, for each show is counted.

Entering your details means you will only be contacted relating to this competition and your data erased after that. If you submit your details below but decide you no longer want to be entered in to the competition you can contact us via the details in our Privacy Policy found here.

Data will be collected by UMG, and retained / stored and processed in accordance with UMG's Privacy Policy which you can view here."
[rollingstones.com]

Posted by: rlj1010 ()
Date: August 29, 2019 22:52

Of course, that "contest" was already over before the Miami vote even went up so why didn't they pull that other info down??

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 29, 2019 23:01

The vote is legit in my opinion. It's pretty clear when Mick doesn't approve. Seems sort of stupid: put Shes a Rainbow on there and I tell you it's a safe bet that's gonna be it. Rehearse When the whip comes down and Live with me, then don't play it one single time. That's just an obvious setup, but it's still a vote alright. Casual fans will make sure you'll get Beast of burden

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 30, 2019 01:08

Really a shame if they don't play Live With Me this tour - especially after being in the vote so many times...I think six now?
Was just listening to Let it Bleed carnking at my studio, and Live With Me literally BLASTED out of the speakers!!!
It's one of those quintessential Stones tunes starting with that tasty bass intro and never lets up!
" My best friend he shoots water rats, and feeds them to his geese"...who doesn't wasn't hear Jagger snarling out this snotty line?!!!
And then the sax solo...Karl might be able to do it justice unlike his butchering of the Brown Sugar solo, but we'll never know unless the song wins the vote!!!
For the sake of millions of Stones fans around the world and Rock and Roll itself - PLEASE play LIVE WITH ME for crying out LOUD!!!

Date: August 30, 2019 01:20

Nah, I heard enough of Karl to imagine what he would do. His sound always sort of grinds on theirs. He's not the right guy for them, don't know if there is one.

Date: August 30, 2019 01:25

Actually, Tim Ries should be able to switch into Bobbys gig, he's seen him play for years

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: August 30, 2019 01:50

Hairball
Really a shame if they don't play Live With Me this tour - especially after being in the vote so many times...I think six now?
Was just listening to Let it Bleed carnking at my studio, and Live With Me literally BLASTED out of the speakers!!!
It's one of those quintessential Stones tunes starting with that tasty bass intro and never lets up!
" My best friend he shoots water rats, and feeds them to his geese"...who doesn't wasn't hear Jagger snarling out this snotty line?!!!
And then the sax solo...Karl might be able to do it justice unlike his butchering of the Brown Sugar solo, but we'll never know unless the song wins the vote!!!
For the sake of millions of Stones fans around the world and Rock and Roll itself - PLEASE play LIVE WITH ME for crying out LOUD!!![/quote

No shit

Posted by: ttutone ()
Date: August 30, 2019 02:10

kristian
I would love to hear any of their newer material
ie LOve is Strong, Don't Stop OOC SAd sad sad Doom and Gloom
To each their own though

Their frontman, who has time on his side, must know this but as he dosen´t want to be part of any oldies or nostalgia act, insists on performing their "new material", which may be good, but is totally forgettable.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: August 30, 2019 02:40

I vote for: Like a Crossfire Hurricane

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: August 30, 2019 05:30

Live With Me

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: August 30, 2019 11:20

Live With Me

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: August 30, 2019 11:24

and "Hurricane" - for the accoustic set

[www.youtube.com]

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-30 11:37 by 1962.

Posted by: torontostoner ()
Date: August 30, 2019 14:57

Regarding the choices for all the song votes, it would be impossible to open up the vote to "what would you all like to hear?"

They have to rehearse each option, so of course it will be a somewhat limited selection

Not sure if people realize what it takes to perform a song properly. They wrote the songs but they still have to research & rehearse them.

The problem is they wrote TOO MANY GREAT SONGS! It makes it impossible to have each one ready to perform at the drop of a hat
(just my opinion)

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: August 30, 2019 15:06

The four choices for Miami are all songs they play anyway from time to time since Voodoo Lounge.

Date: August 30, 2019 16:10

kristian

1) They stopped performing new material.

2) Late 2006 / 2007 they cut way back on new material ..... down to 2 new songs.

3) By 2014 ..... only 1 new song and now 0 new songs.

4) I REALLY want to hear songs from 1989 and onwards. Ancient songs like "Get Off of My Cloud" have become depressing and it's kind of sad to hear them "cover" their own version of "Sympathy for the Devil" using a pre-recorded backing beat.I would rather hear "I Go Wild" or "Low Down" or "Thief in the Night" or really any number of the newer songs. But,it's probably too late in the game for that at this point however,I do appreciate the new songs which they did perform up until 2006 and then a couple more for the 50th anniversary.

Date: August 30, 2019 16:18

MisterDDDD
kristian

Sigh (last one for the tour cool smiley )

Voting is tied to a contest and undoubtably legit. They can stack the deck with song choices of course, but have zero incentive to falsify and legal incentives not to.

"By entering your email you will be able to cast your song vote and will automatically be entered in for the chance to win “Pit” tickets to the Rolling Stones US show at the Hard Rock Stadium Miami, FL, on August 31. The winner will be chosen at random and notified by email on Friday August 23, if the winner does not respond to claim the tickets by 9am ET on Monday August 26 an alternative winner will be chosen. Travel and accommodation is not included in the prize, no cash value for tickets can be exchanged, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize at any time without giving notice. Only one vote per email, for each show is counted.

Entering your details means you will only be contacted relating to this competition and your data erased after that. If you submit your details below but decide you no longer want to be entered in to the competition you can contact us via the details in our Privacy Policy found here.

Data will be collected by UMG, and retained / stored and processed in accordance with UMG's Privacy Policy which you can view here."
[rollingstones.com]

Data means your data .... e-mail etc.. Not song vote results.

If you didn't see the theme in 1997 with all of the songs with local tie-ins winning,I don't know what to tell you. "Shine a Light" in Oklahoma .... very religious area. "Respectable" in Seattle .... punk rock. "When the Whip Comes Down" in L.A..

Less popular songs "winning" at a much higher rate such as "Star Star". Now,more popular songs "winning" these days.

To say that nothing has changed and nothing is going on behind the scenes is a BIG stretch if you ask me.

Date: August 30, 2019 18:52

rlj1010
Disappointed, only because 3/4 songs have already been done in Miami.

Well,that probably means that we can rule 1 song out if the past few years are any indication.

How hard would it be to put up a list with 4/4 songs not played in a given area???

In this case,keep "Under My Thumb" in there and maybe without looking it up .... "Shattered" was skipped there on past tours. "All Down the Line" maybe and "Shine a Light". "Let it Bleed" for the small stage.

There you go. Not too difficult.

That being said the Miami "Live With Me" was with a special guest so,maybe a special guest-less "Live With Me" wouldn't be so bad. Bobby Keys is no longer with us,however.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2201
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home