Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Where was Keith staying when arrested in 1977?
Posted by: dgiorr ()
Date: August 27, 2019 20:11

I'm visiting Toronto next month and staying near the Harbour Castle, where the Stones were staying for their 1977 performance.

In what suite was Keith staying when he was arrested?

[www.rollingstone.com] - excellent article posted elsewhere here over the years - mentions that the band and their entourage was on the 29th to 34th floors, and even mentions that Mick Jagger was in 3424.

But I can't find any online reference to what room Keith was in.

Re: Where was Keith staying when arrested in 1977?
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 27, 2019 20:42

Harbour Castle Hotel?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 27, 2019 20:50

dgiorr

Suite 2223:

From the Book: "What Would Keith Richards Do?" by Jessica Pallington West - [www.Amazon.com] - Page 218

(found via Google: "Keith Richards" "Harbour Castle Hotel" Suite)

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 27, 2019 23:10

Dylan left the very same hotel in similar posture in 1975.

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: August 28, 2019 00:53

And then there's Keith, waiting for trial
Twenty-five thousand bail
If he goes down you won't hear his sound
But his friends carry on anyway
F... 'em!

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: August 28, 2019 01:01

That Rolling Stone review is a real gem !!! Never seen it before!!! Rough times...

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 28, 2019 02:23

"Just as the Crown is swearing in RCMP officer Bill Seward (one of the Mounties who busted Keith), Clayton Powell enters a motion to prohibit publication of the court proceedings — routine in Canada. The judge agrees. And then Powell — looking over his shoulder toward me — enters a second motion: since “at least one reporter from an American magazine is here and is not subject to your order not to publish,” any testimony entered here today could be prejudicial to Mr. Richard. The judge agrees, so the Mountie cannot testify about the circumstances of the bust, which testimony the Stones defense team does not want entered into court. I realize that I’ve been used."

watch and learn how it's done smoking smiley

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 28, 2019 02:26

That is a positively gonzo move

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 28, 2019 12:32

varilla
That Rolling Stone review is a real gem !!! Never seen it before!!! Rough times...

If you've never heard of Chet Flippo or his book I pity you... confused smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 28, 2019 14:15

Brings it all back

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 28, 2019 14:35

You'll have to find the club where Bill scored some H to keep Keith from climbing the walls.

Posted by: dgiorr ()
Date: August 28, 2019 14:48

Thanks for the 2223 find! I had made several attempts to get this information within this forum, and on google.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 28, 2019 15:11

Keith in defiant form.
Blaming the Police, Government, Legal system etc.
But not himself of course.

Interesting his take on what would happen if he got a prison sentence.
"They (the group) would have to take a break" (Keith)
"We would have to find another guitarist" (Mick/ Charlie)

Date: August 28, 2019 15:15

jlowe
Keith in defiant form.

"We would have to find another guitarist" (Mick/ Charlie)

Would never have happened.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 28, 2019 18:48

jlowe
Keith in defiant form.

If you read Flippo's detailed account of this chapter of his life he was far from defiant. In fact he looked defeated and he got off the hook only because Mick had hired a bunch of extremely skilled and wily lawyers.
Thx Mick! thumbs up >grinning smiley<

Date: August 28, 2019 21:14

DandelionPowderman
jlowe
Keith in defiant form.

"We would have to find another guitarist" (Mick/ Charlie)[/

Would never have happened.

Actually it sort of did. Mick slowly started his solo career with Miss You and after the ER sessions probably gave Keith an ultimatum: quit heroin or it’s over - meaning Mick continues with or without Keith. Ronnie was some sort of replacement and seemingly Micks new twin on stage, prancibg around, singing w Mick dtc.

Date: August 28, 2019 21:47

Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
jlowe
Keith in defiant form.

"We would have to find another guitarist" (Mick/ Charlie)[/
DP says: "Would never have happened".

Redhotcarpet says: 'Actually it sort of did. Mick slowly started his solo career with Miss You and after the ER sessions probably gave Keith an ultimatum: quit heroin or it’s over - meaning Mick continues with or without Keith. Ronnie was some sort of replacement and seemingly Micks new twin on stage, prancibg around, singing w Mick etc".

DP says: "Bollocks. Ronnie was prancing with Mick already in 1975. It was how they introduced their new guitarist to the public. And they worked as a team on ER, although they had their problems finishing the mixing of it.

Building on a bassline Preston suggested on a soundcheck in 1977 is not to start a solo career smiling smiley "

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-28 21:51 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: August 28, 2019 22:30

Bill took a big chance to help Keith out. Not sure Keith was particularly grateful though.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 29, 2019 01:02

I think Keith was fairly sincere about wanting to get off junk. He didn't want to be *told* to get clean, (I will walk before they make me run) but other than that my reading is that he mostly did what he had to do.
Also suspect that his becoming a raging drunk/cocaine addict was what really set Mick off. Sort of like, 'Geez, at least when he was nodding off he was at least malleable, now he's a raging monster.

Date: August 29, 2019 15:09

wonderboy
I think Keith was fairly sincere about wanting to get off junk. He didn't want to be *told* to get clean, (I will walk before they make me run) but other than that my reading is that he mostly did what he had to do.
Also suspect that his becoming a raging drunk/cocaine addict was what really set Mick off. Sort of like, 'Geez, at least when he was nodding off he was at least malleable, now he's a raging monster.

Yup. But i think Keith really dug down his heels in 1981 to show Mick who’s the boss. He was forced to quit - no way he had quit hadnt Mick given him an ultimatum before the 1981 tour.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 29, 2019 16:55

dgiorr
I'm visiting Toronto next month and staying near the Harbour Castle, where the Stones were staying for their 1977 performance.

[www.rollingstone.com] - excellent article posted elsewhere here over the years - mentions that the band and their entourage was on the 29th to 34th floors, and even mentions that Mick Jagger was in 3424.

But I can't find any online reference to what room Keith was in.

About 10 years ago I was at the Harbour Castle for a conference and I remember looking for the room. I don’t know if I was looking for the correct number, but I couldn’t find it. Someone told me there had been renovations, some suites combined, years ago. Don’t be surprised if you can’t find the right room number.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 29, 2019 20:53

If you read Barbera Charones book and then Chef Flippos rolling stone article you can follow Keith and Anita from Redlands and through the Toronto incident.
They were really strung out,in her book she says the band had been there awhile waiting and Keith kept just nodding off and missing the flights booked for him to the point the band sent him a telegram that said “WHERE ARE YOU?”

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 30, 2019 00:31

wonderboy

In some respects, Keith did not handle H/ Junk very well.
Sure, he had more Police scrutiny than other addicts but to counteract that he had a support team (medical, legal etc) that only money can buy. The media generally were very relaxed about him...especially the music press.
His busts (and same for Macca) were mainly down to his own arrogance and carelessness.

No wonder Mick and Bill in particular were at their wits end by the late 70s.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1673
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home