Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 13
Re: Tropical storm Dorian warnings for Miami Florida this week-end
Posted by: rlj1010 ()
Date: August 29, 2019 01:47

Mr.D
I live up close to Kennedy Space Center, it is forecast now to come in around Titusville overnight Sunday or early Monday morning. The might be able to do the show on Saturday, if they don't it might be cancelled, Miami doesn't have a domed stadium so it could flood. We'll know more by Friday.

Well, they do have a domed stadium with Marlins Park, but its a smaller capacity...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-29 01:48 by rlj1010.

Posted by: 1badgator ()
Date: August 29, 2019 01:48

Mr.D
I live up close to Kennedy Space Center, it is forecast now to come in around Titusville overnight Sunday or early Monday morning. The might be able to do the show on Saturday, if they don't it might be cancelled, Miami doesn't have a domed stadium so it could flood. We'll know more by Friday.

Me and Mr D are about 10 miles away.

Date: August 29, 2019 01:59

Hopefully it just happens Saturday so everyone can be there and the stadium is rocking

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 29, 2019 02:03

State of Emergency declared for entire State of Florida source: TWC (The Weather Channel).

Course may not be as far North as previously thought. Next OFFICIAL Update 8:00 EDT PM

Posted by: GlimmerGirl24 ()
Date: August 29, 2019 02:27

Ram
The projection via the weather channel of a Monday pm northern fla. landfall shouldn't impact a Saturday night show. Heck the Miami Saturday night weather forecast is still only showing a 40% chance of rain with scattered showers which is just normal Florida weather in August so who knows!

If the hurricane hits the Daytona area as currently projected, Miami will have 30 to 40mph tropical storm winds starting around 8pm on Saturday night. Which I suspect the Stones insurance company would consider too risky for a concert. If the hurricane turns a bit - it could hit Miami early Sunday morning and skip further up on the east coast.

Anyone in Miami been by the stadium to see what the Upstaging trucks are doing? Had a conversation with a driver?

With a state of emergency declared for this weekend - the concert is probably off for Saturday night - even without the 30 - 40mph currently predicted winds. Miami most likely will not be allocating police and city resources for a concert. If the Upstaging trucks aren't packing up - there's hope the show is rescheduled.

Date: August 29, 2019 02:31

They've been building the stage all day today and yesterday. (They've wrapped up around 5pm both days.)

The band's plane just left Arizona and is currently en route to Miami.

[flightaware.com]

Date: August 29, 2019 02:50

Thank you rlj, it looks like the Stones aren't calling it yet - they're waiting another 24 hours to see what Dorian is doing. I would think though - if Saturday is off - they will need Friday to protect the staging and equipment.

Date: August 29, 2019 02:56

GlimmerGirl24
Thank you rlj, it looks like the Stones aren't calling it yet - they're waiting another 24 hours to see what Dorian is doing. I would think though - if Saturday is off - they will need Friday to protect the staging and equipment.

No problem. You can keep track on what's going on inside the stadium with this webcam link. They update the picture every 10 minutes or so.

[www.weatherbug.com]

So if we see them start to pack everything up, that's not a good sign.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 29, 2019 02:56

Does Keith have a hurricane stick ….. ?????

ROCKMAN

Date: August 29, 2019 03:09

rlj1010
GlimmerGirl24

No problem. You can keep track on what's going on inside the stadium with this webcam link. They update the picture every 10 minutes or so.

[www.weatherbug.com]

rlj - I'm in love with you. I never thought to check for a stadium web cam. smiling smiley

Date: August 29, 2019 03:14

GlimmerGirl24
rlj1010
GlimmerGirl24

[www.weatherbug.com]

rlj - I'm in love with you. I never thought to check for a stadium web cam. smiling smiley

Thanks, but I can't take the credit. It was someone else who posted that link in the other Miami thread, but I bookmarked it yesterday and have been checking regularly. Pretty cool link.

Date: August 29, 2019 03:18

Was there a new update ?

Date: August 29, 2019 03:22

Not really. The 8pm update is kind of a stopgap until a more detailed update that should come at 11pm.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 29, 2019 03:45

Not to make light of this stressful situation by any means, but just saw this on a Stone fan facebook page:

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 29, 2019 03:58

keefmick
What is SHF?

Sorry, just woke up down under! Steve Hoffman Forums

Rod

Date: August 29, 2019 04:04

Date: August 29, 2019 04:05

Hairball
Not to make light of this stressful situation by any means, but just saw this on a Stone fan facebook page:

Pretty damn funny actually

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 29, 2019 04:29

On the serious side... I think the hurricane experts are doing a damn great job. They don't care about Stones shows. They care about the lives of thousands of people who may or may not be taken by the next hurricane.

We have a luxury problem. A show. Or not a show. When I went to The Bahamas between the Stones tours 2007 and 2012, I met many locals, like on the island of Eleuthera. They said they fleed to the churches when the hurricanes went too bad, as they were the only safe places. They showed me resorts completely ruined by hurricanes, houses taken to the sea, sad stories.

Let us cross our fingers for those who have little protection out there in the Caribbean islands, hoping they will be safe during the next days. I will take the show when they do it on Saturday, hopefully with joy rather than sadness because of hurricane damages.

Bjornulf

Posted by: 5stringTele ()
Date: August 29, 2019 06:03

The 11pm advisory shows no significant changes.

In 2012, what was to become Super Storm Sandy was a Category 1 hurricane just east of the Bahamas and heading almost due north. We had a number of really nasty storm bands in Miami as it passed, over 250 miles to the east. I said at the time that Sandy was a bad storm, to have such an impact from so far away. We all remember what it did to Cuba and New York.

Hurricane Dorian will be in almost the exact same spot on Saturday at 8pm, but Dorian will be a Category 3, while Sandy was only a Cat 1.

People from other parts of the country or World seem to think that hurricanes are perfectly circular, neat little storms. They're not. They can be very ragged, with long tentacles with streamers of storms extending many hundreds of miles from the center.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 29, 2019 06:23

5stringTele
The 11pm advisory shows no significant changes.

In 2012, what was to become Super Storm Sandy was a Category 1 hurricane just east of the Bahamas and heading almost due north. We had a number of really nasty storm bands in Miami as it passed, over 250 miles to the east. I said at the time that Sandy was a bad storm, to have such an impact from so far away. We all remember what it did to Cuba and New York.

Hurricane Dorian will be in almost the exact same spot on Saturday at 8pm, but Dorian will be a Category 3, while Sandy was only a Cat 1.

People from other parts of the country or World seem to think that hurricanes are perfectly circular, neat little storms. They're not. They can be very ragged, with long tentacles with streamers of storms extending many hundreds of miles from the center.

Sandy was a category 3 in Cuba and officially not a hurricane when landfall occurred in New Jersey and that NY was spared the brutality of a major hurricane yet alone a Category 2; Sandy was a post-tropical cyclone with hurricane force winds.

Ivan blew up waves to 132 feet. Katrina had a 50 foot plus storm surge over the mouth of the Mississippi and up to 41 feet at landfall in Mississippi.

It won't surprise me at all to see Dorian get up to a strong 4 if not a weak 5.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 29, 2019 06:30

rlj1010
GlimmerGirl24

[www.weatherbug.com]

Looks like they will not continue. Winds will be an issue.

Hurricane Barry wasn't a hurricane and had zero to do with reality in New Orleans - that was a media fueled farce.

Dorian... different story... so far.

Posted by: Stonesdude ()
Date: August 29, 2019 06:45

Friday would certainly be a safe time, but many people would not be there yet. Why not move it up a few hours on Saturday? Start at 6 for aJuanes and Stones at 7:30 and done before 10. Sometimes a few hours can make a difference. Or even earlier if they needed to not cancel the show.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 29, 2019 07:09

Dorian is going to slice Florida in half before re-emerging in the Gulf of Mexico. There it will strengthen and hit the southern US for a second time. sad smiley

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: August 29, 2019 07:19

Stonesdude
Friday would certainly be a safe time, but many people would not be there yet. Why not move it up a few hours on Saturday? Start at 6 for Juanes and Stones at 7:30 and done before 10. Sometimes a few hours can make a difference. Or even earlier if they needed to not cancel the show.

thumbs up.

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: August 29, 2019 09:26

Cannot possibly see how this concert will go on.
Of course they will wait until closer to the show to make the call.
I wouldn't expect the show to be rescheduled - they will be out of there before Dorian hits.
Hope everyone is safe.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: August 29, 2019 11:42

NY, here they come.

Date: August 29, 2019 12:13

Change in timing Now makes landfall late Monday or early tuesday

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: August 29, 2019 12:27

jumpontopofmebaby
Change in timing Now makes landfall late Monday or early tuesday

Mick must’ve made that sneering face to the weather.

Date: August 29, 2019 12:34

The European model now taking it more south. There is another model that takes it a lot farther north

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-29 13:06 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 29, 2019 13:24

A storm is threatening my very life today .......

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1649
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home