Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9
The Rolling Stones - Glendale AZ 26-August-2019
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 27, 2019 19:43

Michael Chow

Re: Glendale show 26-August-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: August 27, 2019 19:46

Anyone notice Keith MIA during Miss You? I believe he spent most of the time off stage during the song. Never seen that before.

Re: Glendale show 26-August-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 27, 2019 19:46

Thanks bye bye johnny and everyone else for posting reviews, pics, videos, etc.thumbs up

Date: August 27, 2019 19:49

Kennedy
Anyone notice Keith MIA during Miss You? I believe he spent most of the time off stage during the song. Never seen that before.

I saw him lurking in the shadows behind Charlie taking a cigarette break before coming back on stage mid-song.
Pretty sure he's been doing that for awhile now- giving himself a bit of rest after his set.

Date: August 27, 2019 19:59

The Rolling Stones are raw, scrappy and unpolished in concert. And that's how it should be

Ed Masley, Aug. 27, 2019

Michael Chow

By the summer of 1989, the idea of wondering whether this could be the last time for the Rolling Stones had already become such a tired cliche that Mick Jagger was moved to respond to the question at a press conference announcing their tour in support of "Steel Wheels" with “First asked in 1966!”

In reporting the singer's sarcastic response at the time, Rolling Stone magazine said the question was "probably the longest-running gag in rock and roll."

The earliest example we could find online was in an article from 1986. And that reporter used the phrase "the aging rock group" in his second sentence to describe a group whose singer would turn 43 that year.

It could be argued that they brought it on themselves by singing "This could be the last time" in the chorus of the first big hit written by Jagger and Richards. And as any living member of the Who could tell you, there are tougher lines to answer for as one gets older.

So, here we are. It's 2019, and the Stones are still headlining stadiums – only these days, asking "Could this be the last time?" feels more grounded in reality.

Their State Farm Stadium appearance had to be rescheduled, after all, when their singer went under the knife in April to replace a heart valve.

Even longtime production director Dale Skjerseth acknowledged as much the day before the concert, saying the fact that the Stones are still "here at their age and Mick coming through what he just went through with his heart" should be all the special effects most fans require in 2019.

Not that surgery appeared to slow the singer down or cramp his style at Monday's concert.

Mick Jagger knows how to rule the stage

At 76, he threw himself into delivering the kind of physical performance we've come to expect. It was all very Jagger, in total command of the stage, still impossibly skinny and blessed with conviction to burn and an energy reserve most artists half his age would envy.

The singer established a loopy rapport with the crowd early on. After "Tumbling Dice," three songs in, he told the fans, "It's great to be back in the Valley of the Sun. Who else would come to Arizona in August?"

After apologizing for rescheduling the date, he joked about how it had made him miss the Hell City Tattoo Festival, where "Charlie (Watts) wanted to get my face tattooed on his back" and the sidewalk-egg-frying contest.

He rose to the challenge on vocals as well. Jagger's phrasing was brilliant throughout, from "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and "Get Off of My Cloud" (by fan request) to that killer falsetto on "Miss You" and an epic rendition of "Midnight Rambler," on which the singer also played some dirty blues harp.

The man's phrasing is such that he managed to capture the sinister essence of "Sympathy for the Devil" while working the runway in shimmering tails and a not quite satanic fedora.

The newest song in the setlist was 30 years old

The setlist was heavy on staples, and the "newest" song they dusted off was "Sad Sad Sad" from 1989's "Steel Wheels." If you look at the artist statistics at setlist.fm, they appear to have made their way through all but one of their 12 most-played songs in the course of a 19-song set.

But "Sweet Virginia" was a nice surprise, part of a two-song acoustic set with "Dead Flowers," performed on a satellite stage at the end of the runway. Keith singing "You Got the Silver" was another unexpected treat – or less-expected treat, at least.

For all the staples, though, they managed to retain the scrappy lack of polish that remains the essence of their live appeal.

It's been 44 years since Ronnie Wood replaced Mick Taylor on guitar, and he and Keith Richards still sound like they're going for "boozy camaraderie" over anything resembling precision.

And it suits the music and the image of the Rolling Stones, lending a rawness to the whole proceedings, punctuated on occasion by one of Wood's solos rising above the fray like a trash-rocking tribute to Chuck Berry's musical essence while going for passion over flash.

Charlie Watts kept it all grounded — one of rock and roll's most understated geniuses behind the kit as one half of a stellar rhythm section that now feature Darryl Jones, who's been an "unofficial" member of the Stones since 1993, when he replaced founding bassist Bill Wyman, and made the most of his turn in the spotlight on "Miss You."

There are plenty of familiar faces on this tour, from keyboard player Chuck Leavell, who joined in 1982, to saxophonist Tim Ries, who's been touring with the Stones for 20 years.

Bernard Fowler is still on backing vocals and percussion after 30 years. And Sasha Allen made off with the spotlight during "Gimme Shelter," the opening shot of a two-song encore that ended as it had to, with the riff heard 'round the world, "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction."

There are nuances of the recordings that tend to get lost in translation, left by the wayside in pursuit of the reckless abandon of the moment and the raw aesthetic they've been chasing all along. If you want it to sound just like the records, this is not the time or place for that.

This is the Rolling Stones in their natural habitat. And it's not always pretty. But they wear it well.

[www.azcentral.com]

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 27, 2019 20:04

There's a cushioned piece of furniture in front of Charlie, don't know what to call it in english but that must be new

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-27 20:04 by Nikkei.

Posted by: dhinkle555 ()
Date: August 27, 2019 20:43

Interesting that I went to the bathroom after the opening act, and when I came back the roof had been opened even though it was still 102 degrees outside. This must have been done to improve the sound quality.

Posted by: Benjiboy13 ()
Date: August 27, 2019 20:46

Kennedy
maumau
what happened between Mick and the crowd on the catwalk just before Ronnie's solo on YCAGWYW? He seemed pi**ed off

pS: thanks Green Lady for the usual great aid in having a sweet stones morning here

We were trying to figure that out as well. Something certainly happened.

So I was in Pit 1 right next to what was happening. Long story short, it seemed like there were a couple of people that moved up into the near front of the pit by the catwalk, in front of people that had been there waiting for the show for a while. One of the women that did this was dancing very aggressively and running into the guy they moved in front of, who was in a sling as he had a very recent / bad shoulder injury. After this started happening he went over at least twice to the security guard on the rail yelling to get them to move her as she kept running into him but they didn't. The guards kept standing on the rail looking over there (with the guy pointing at them a couple different times) to assess if they she was doing something worth removal, so my guess is that Mick noticed and thought something needed to be sorted asap. Or else it's possible he knew the guy somehow and noticed him trying to remove someone. Don't know. It was figured out after a couple songs.

Separately, there was also 4 younger adults that moved up into the front (right in front of me) during the acoustic set--a group of 4. However, one of the girls got held back from her friends initially when they were doing this by others in the pit who felt like they were cutting. One of the security guards made a point to ask people to let her through though so everyone eventually did. I wondered if they know the band as it seemed odd, but at any rate they were a little taller than me so my view was worsened slightly for a few songs lol... all part of the game though. Wasn't an issue other than that it was mid-concert.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: August 27, 2019 20:47

dhinkle555
Interesting that I went to the bathroom after the opening act, and when I came back the roof had been opened even though it was still 102 degrees outside. This must have been done to improve the sound quality.

It made a dramatic difference though when they opened it. It was very hot and stuffy, and as soon as it opened you could feel the stuffy air just lift. It made it a little more pleasant.

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: August 27, 2019 21:12

I noticed Kaleo signaling during his set that there were sound issues as if the sound was circling around him and he couldn't follow. I thought he was excellent.

I was in the pit and was very glad they opened the roof. We got air moving down there.

Posted by: Benjiboy13 ()
Date: August 27, 2019 21:30

I have a fantastic lucky report from this show-- me and a fellow IORR member both live and actually work together out here in PHX, so we each bought a pair of Lucky Dips. I've lucky dipped 3 times the last few years and never turned up anything too great, and she did LD at pasadena last week after we both booked last minute flights, hotels, etc and was all the way at the top of the rose bowl side stage. Needless to say we were REALLY hoping to get lucky.

I had a friend going with me for my pair who flew in from Washington DC and had never seen the stones before despite being a big fan. I tried telling her, I'm not a lucky guy (when I gamble or do things with "luck" I typically don't win). However, she kept saying she was feeling the good vibes and juju...

Anyway, my IORR friend picked up her lucky dips first and was side stage again, so a bit of a bummer because we obviously wanted and hoped for something a little closer with the way this show was selling. I was a few minutes behind in picking my tix up so I saw her walking away from the ticket booth and wished her and her concert partner (who hadn't seen them since 1994) a great show as they went for the security line to get in.

I roll up to the window with my first timer friend and we obviously show the lady ID, etc. Since my name starts with an A she has to go all the way over to a different part of the ticket area, so we are standing there for quite a few minutes. She comes back and gives us our lucky dip wristbands smiling and says, enjoy the show as she passes us our envelope. Again, I'm not a lucky guy so my expectations are not high, but my friend from DC is feeling good still. So I let her take the tickets to open them.

We walk away and look and... Wallah!!! Pit 1 !!!!! We couldn't believe it. My DC friend and I start immediately celebrating... However, right as we are jumping for joy, we realize something: THE LADY AT THE TICKET COUNTER GAVE US TWO ENVELOPES, EACH WITH A PAIR OF TWO PIT 1 TICKETS!!

Immediately, I go to call my IORR friend / coworker hoping she wasn't in the stadium already, but as I go to do this, it turns out she was literally right next to us and saw us celebrate. I guess the line to get through security was super long, so she hadn't gotten in yet. Anyway, all 4 of us end up in Pit 1, just a couple people off the catwalk and about 8-10 rows back, with great sightlines and company. Couldn't believe it. Don't know if it was intentional or a mistake from the lady at the ticket counter, but it was the craziest lucky story.

On top of that, get this-- my IORR friend says her concert partner was looking at their original side stage lucky dip tix and the seat numbers while waiting in the security line. Her friend picked the ticket of the two with the seat number 13 saying "I'll take 13 because it's my lucky number" -- and RIGHT as she said that, I pulled the 4 pit tickets and they saw us, and we all get pit together. Not only that, but 13 is MY lucky number (wore it throughout playing sports) so I have to believe there was some rock and roll higher power at play here.

Lastly, when we were in the pit, there was a younger guy in his 20's who bought he and his mom a pit ticket as neither one had ever seen the stones before, let alone that close. They were so excited to see them and were having a blast the whole show... well... during Start Me Up, Ronnie tossed out one of his picks and there was a big scramble by everyone in the area...but the guy's mom caught the pick! They were on cloud 9. It was so awesome. And I caught it on video!

Amazing time. This is why it's all worth it!!

Date: August 27, 2019 21:32

Kennedy

He always (since 2012) takes a fag break for the first minute or so on MY. He has a table at the back with Charlie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-27 21:36 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: August 27, 2019 22:15

Benjiboy13---THAT WAS AMAZING LUCK. I have been hearing your pit stories from Europe last year and damned if we didn't get pit right in ol' AZ. What a great show.I thought the pit peeps around us were pretty well behaved--a few exceptions but very good mostly.

Loved that they opened to roof and got some air moving in that pit. It was pretty stifling early on.

I hope this isn't the last US tour but if it is, I am not sure last not could be topped.

Long live Mick and Keef.

Posted by: IGTBA ()
Date: August 27, 2019 23:34

DandelionPowderman
Kennedy

He always (since 2012) takes a fag break for the first minute or so on MY. He has a table at the back with Charlie.

Yes. Keith was only back behind the curtain for 1-2 minutes; he returned for the majority of MY - same for every concert. Keith also went behind the curtain for less than a minute during a song before band announcements (and his set) and took at least one big puff on a cigarette; I saw that from my location.

Date: August 27, 2019 23:43

From the Jim Louvau photoset in Phoenix New Times:

Date: August 27, 2019 23:44

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 28, 2019 00:15

thanks Benjiboy13 for the stories smileys with beer

Date: August 28, 2019 00:26

Kennedy
dhinkle555

It made a dramatic difference though when they opened it. It was very hot and stuffy, and as soon as it opened you could feel the stuffy air just lift. It made it a little more pleasant.

I didn't even notice the roof opening, but as we were waiting at the Lucky Dip Line in the brutal heat, one of the usher ladies smiled and said we'd be extra lucky when we get inside to feel the glorious AC.
Sure enough, once inside it was dramatically cooler compared to the outdoor scorch, but I did notice it getting a bit stuffier/warmer as time went on, but figured it was the standing room only body heat.
I guess they turned the AC off at a certain point, and eventually opened the roof, but again didn't even realize that as I wasn't looking upwards - all eyes were on Mick and the Stones.

Speaking of heat, on my drive to the airport at 6:00 AM, it was already 92 F.eye popping smiley

Smooth and quick one hour flight to Burbank, and a smooth one hour drive back up to Ventura...the Hairball has landed and is going to sleep until heading up the coast for ZZ Top tonight.
Then I'll probably hibernate for a few days with dreams of the great summer of 2019 with the Rolling Stones in North America - feeling very fortunate!

Date: August 28, 2019 00:30

maumau
thanks Benjiboy13 for the stories smileys with beer

Yes, that story was quite a thriller - two envelopes of Lucky Dips w/Pits for the price of one - congrats Benjiboy13!!! smiling smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 28, 2019 02:02

Ronnie Wood:
Loved seeing you last night @alicecooper thumbs upcool smileycool smiley

[twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-28 02:04 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: August 28, 2019 02:17

From the reviews it sounds like Denver was better

Date: August 28, 2019 04:01

Of the four shows I saw this tour with Chicago #2 being the first, I don't think I've seen Mick quite as active and full of expression and attitude as he was last night. From jumping up behind Charlies kit, to giving an extra few spastic/gesturing "jumping jack" type movements in the best Mick-style possible while prowling around throughout, he was the focus and I couldn't take my eyes off him. As if he suddenly realized this was the second to last show of this mini-tour, and was going to test himself and the Doctors orders by pushing it a bit more than previously. At one point at beginning of Sad, Sad, Sad while he was playing the guitar, he lurched over looking to our direction and gave the snottiest exaggerated punk rock stare that would make Johnny Rotten look like a timid puppy in comparison. I burst out laughing and looked at my other friend Steve beside me whose seen dozens of shows like myself since '81, and he was also laughing in awe. Mick was doing his thing! Didn't matter what he was playing on the guitar at that point...it was Jagger giving us the stink eye as if he wanted to kick our ass!
And we loved it!!! Hard to put in words really how unbelievable Mick is as the front man/singer of the greatest rock band ever...probably by just saying he's the best front man/singer ever, and no one comes close even at this late point of his career. And when you consider his health issue not long ago...I'm speechless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-28 04:04 by Hairball.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 28, 2019 04:13

Fantastic observations, Hairball and the kind you don't get from watching online cool smiley

I will add that at the opener in Chicago, it was I believe the only time I saw Mick break into a full on sprint down the catwalk after SFM just got underway.

Was fantastic, the attitude he exuded and his way of saying he was back and doing just fine, thanks (at least that was my read). Of the six shows I attended it was a moment that really stands out for me. The docs probably nearly had a cardiac themselves and asked that he tone it down a bit after that cool smiley

Date: August 28, 2019 04:25

At ones of the later shows after the earlier "sitting controversy" show when people questioned his stamina...might have been Santa Clara when he sat for less than a second in front of Charlies kit and then leaped up and forward as if to say, no seat for me thank you! He did something similar last night, though it wasn't a full on leap from the sitting position, but it was definitely a "ain't nobody got time for sitting" moment! smiling smiley

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: August 28, 2019 06:01

The show was awesome. So exciting. Mick was awesome. I want to rewatch whatever is available.

Some guy (Dave) stole my phone after Kaleo. My sister got it back before the Stones came on. It fell on the stairs by my seat, and his lady asked someone in front of me if she lost her phone either while I was gone or talking. She said not her. He swiped it and took it to row 1 of section 107. My sister called him and he gave it back when it locked up from too many incorrect passcode attempts. Not cool! Security should have thrown his stealing a** out of the concert.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-28 08:00 by Straycat13.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 28, 2019 06:49

Cooltoplady
waterrats
Karina greets: "It’s more than rock ‘n’ roll" ...

Twitter

Put your tongue back in your mouth This isn’t KISS. Gross

Maybe Mick Jackawanavic. Not Jagger. And what’s up with the stupid metal sign?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-28 06:51 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: August 28, 2019 07:16

Hairball
Of the four shows I saw this tour with Chicago #2 being the first, I don't think I've seen Mick quite as active and full of expression and attitude as he was last night. From jumping up behind Charlies kit, to giving an extra few spastic/gesturing "jumping jack" type movements in the best Mick-style possible while prowling around throughout, he was the focus and I couldn't take my eyes off him. As if he suddenly realized this was the second to last show of this mini-tour, and was going to test himself and the Doctors orders by pushing it a bit more than previously. At one point at beginning of Sad, Sad, Sad while he was playing the guitar, he lurched over looking to our direction and gave the snottiest exaggerated punk rock stare that would make Johnny Rotten look like a timid puppy in comparison. I burst out laughing and looked at my other friend Steve beside me whose seen dozens of shows like myself since '81, and he was also laughing in awe. Mick was doing his thing! Didn't matter what he was playing on the guitar at that point...it was Jagger giving us the stink eye as if he wanted to kick our ass!
And we loved it!!! Hard to put in words really how unbelievable Mick is as the front man/singer of the greatest rock band ever...probably by just saying he's the best front man/singer ever, and no one comes close even at this late point of his career. And when you consider his health issue not long ago...I'm speechless.

smileys with beer great to read this Hairball and truth is this is the magic of being there under the stage where he/them got us under their spell.
some of it though fortunately spills over through the clips (thanks to people like dnewton98). i love the "sitting / jumping out" from the front of charlie's kit before launching into the final stanza of rambler. at one point last night he must have felt to have made an awkward gesture slamming his right arm (the red flash part of the song) and he almost burst into laughing... great moment. love the man smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-28 07:19 by maumau.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: August 28, 2019 07:17

Anybody know who the guy in the Lakers shirt was who was in the security aisle by pit 1?

Date: August 28, 2019 08:05

i was watching Satisfaction from last night and it is truly unbelievable. the moment you think you're done with all the gimmicks of their big show, the mastodontic stage, the big production, the same old warhorses et cetera, they overcome you with the sheer joy of life and performing on stage, the alpha and omega of rock and roll, which they still are smileys with beer

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: August 28, 2019 08:08

JadedFaded
Anybody know who the guy in the Lakers shirt was who was in the security aisle by pit 1?

Should be Chucky Klapow, Micks dance teacher.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2100
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home