Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: Glendale show 26-August-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 27, 2019 13:50

dnewton99
My vids going up here from PIT 1..[www.youtube.com]

Thank you!

Haven't much checked the performances during this tour, but, as the reports and reviews say, the band seems to be in a great form. I watched "Get Off of My Cloud" and "Sad Sad Sad" and was surprised how good those versions were. Like poster above said the moment Mick going behind Charlie - and Cha's face expression - is priceless. A 2019 Rolling Stones show is a great combination of musical determination/professional and pure joy - not just the great songs, but the simple charisma and presence of those men sets them high, high above any rock and roll band these days (or ever). It's pretty difficult to put that in words; they are just unique, all they do and represent is so home-made, exploring waters no any other band has ever been (and not even close).

I usually have been critical of how they treat an old gem like "Get Off of MY Cloud", but now even that works damn well. But even bigger surprise was "Sad Sad Sad". A rather forgetten track from an album only die-hards remember these days, but they treat it like it is a rock classic. And it almost sounds like being one. Mick and Ronnie are in their usual high level, but Keith's baddass solo ices the cake. Even these technically desirable and limited clips tell rather well the secret of how easy is to make a rock and roll band sound great: just play those damn guitars loud!

What a rock and roll band!

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-27 13:52 by Doxa.

Re: Glendale show 26-August-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Date: August 27, 2019 14:09

Yes what a band, we are very lucky fans to experience this!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 27, 2019 14:33

looks like they're just hitting their power stride in Glendale....then one more and done...

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 27, 2019 14:38

Hairball
Second shortest review I've ever written with just a few random thoughts:

- Absolutely Smokin' HOT show! And I'm not referring to temperature as there was AC inside...
- Had some Shepherds Pie at McFaddens Pub/Saloon pre-show - very good, but my English mother-in-law makes it a thousand times better no doubt about it.
- My friend Mike "Snap" and I were very lucky with our Lucky Dips...Pit 2.
- Midnight Rambler and Paint it Black highlights - oh yeah...
- Sad, Sad, Sad was unwelcome, but it sounded better than I remembered
- Completely drained of energy, and my legs and feet are burning...three or four days in Phoenix will do it to ya.
- Early flight back home to the cool breeze of the SoCal Coast, then off to see ZZ Top tomorrow night.
- What could possibly have been my last Stones show ever (?) will be remembered for eternity, though I have a feeling I might see them again somewhere down the road.

GOD BLESS THE ROLLING STONES! thumbs up

Congrats on the LD's Hairball!
Wish I coulda made this one... great show and would have been nice to see Mike (Snap) again.. great guy. Enjoy ZZ Top!

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 27, 2019 16:20

anyone noticed something happening between mick and the crowd on the catwalk just before ron's solo on ycagwyw? from a fb video he seems to be arguing with someone..

great to hear the band was good smileys with beer

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: August 27, 2019 16:24

I noticed that too..he pointed at someone..kept walking turned around and looked at a security guy like do your job.

Date: August 27, 2019 16:26

clapton71
I noticed that too..he pointed at someone..kept walking turned around and looked at a security guy like do your job.

yes exactly, maybe something was thrown on stage?

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: August 27, 2019 16:31

Mick with Charlie during Get Off Of My Cloud was great! Priceless.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 27, 2019 16:36

Throwing stuff on the stage is so idiotic. What do they expect to accomplish? Remember when Keith tripped over that stupid fourthofjuly hat a few years back? I was surprised how swiftly he got back up, can't imagine that now.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 27, 2019 17:18

Nikkei
Throwing stuff on the stage is so idiotic. What do they expect to accomplish? Remember when Keith tripped over that stupid fourthofjuly hat a few years back? I was surprised how swiftly he got back up, can't imagine that now.

Last year in Coventry, some idiot threw a plastic pint pot full of unknown clear liquid and it hit Mick on the back as he walked back up the catwalk at the end of Gimme Shelter. He just scratched his back and carried on !

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 27, 2019 17:25

Throwing drinks is to me a sign of actual bad intent. That's on another level. People who throw flags and shirts might believe it's a cool thing to do, but why? Mick kicks it aside and you're there without a shirt

Posted by: Stones726 ()
Date: August 27, 2019 17:30

Doxa
dnewton99
My vids going up here from PIT 1..[www.youtube.com]

Thank you!

Haven't much checked the performances during this tour, but, as the reports and reviews say, the band seems to be in a great form. I watched "Get Off of My Cloud" and "Sad Sad Sad" and was surprised how good those versions were. Like poster above said the moment Mick going behind Charlie - and Cha's face expression - is priceless. A 2019 Rolling Stones show is a great combination of musical determination/professional and pure joy - not just the great songs, but the simple charisma and presence of those men sets them high, high above any rock and roll band these days (or ever). It's pretty difficult to put that in words; they are just unique, all they do and represent is so home-made, exploring waters no any other band has ever been (and not even close).

I usually have been critical of how they treat an old gem like "Get Off of MY Cloud", but now even that works damn well. But even bigger surprise was "Sad Sad Sad". A rather forgetten track from an album only die-hards remember these days, but they treat it like it is a rock classic. And it almost sounds like being one. Mick and Ronnie are in their usual high level, but Keith's baddass solo ices the cake. Even these technically desirable and limited clips tell rather well the secret of how easy is to make a rock and roll band sound great: just play those damn guitars loud!

What a rock and roll band!

- Doxa

Fantastic summary/perspective Doxa!

The Rolling Stones - Glendale AZ 26-August-2019
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 27, 2019 17:45

The Rolling Stones Rocked Glendale, but That Sense Danger Was Gone

Ashley Naftule | August 27, 2019

Jim Louvau

As I made my way through State Farm Stadium to see The Rolling Stones, many of the people around me agreed with my general assessment of the show’s logistics: It was an absolute clusterf*ck. It was as if the event planners and the stadium had wildly, tremendously, HILARIOUSLY underestimated the popularity of The Rolling Stones.

You could feel an audible sense of relief as those giant lips flared to life on the projection screens and Charlie Watts, wearing a bright yellow shirt, strolled out to take his place behind his kit. He was followed by the rest of the gang: Mick Jagger, leathery yet regal, in a sequined black coat; Keith Richards; and Ronnie Wood, wearing a shaggy hairdo that would probably get him a "YOU ARE THE FATHER" result on Maury if Paul Westerberg and/or Tommy Stinson ever hit him with a paternity test.

Supporting the band was a tight ensemble of sax players, dueling keyboardists, back-up singers, and a bass player who made you say "Bill Wyman who?" with every deft note he plucked. Opening with "Jumpin' Jack Flash," the first thing that popped out about the Stones live is how rough they sound. I mean that in a good way. They weren't over-rehearsed or polished. Their chops as lifelong musicians are apparent, as is their tight chemistry.

But time hasn't dimmed whatever spurred them on to be a blues-rock band. Richards' and Wood's guitar playing was jagged and woolly, a refreshing contrast to the note-for-note perfection you hear from other legacy bands like Queen that just want to recreate their hits live. "Jumpin' Jack Flash," by contrast, sounded like a different beast in person. The song had aged and changed in interesting ways, just like the people who made it.

Jagger's voice has held up remarkably well.

There were moments throughout the show (like on "Tumbling Dice") when back-up singers Bernard Fowler and Sasha Allen picked up some of the high notes and vocal whoops that Jagger couldn't quite hit, but in most respects sounded like Mick @#$%& Jagger. This is no mean feat, considering the fact I've seen younger bands touring the nostalgia circuit the sound like their singer got a voice transplant.

The musical MVP of the night, though, was Charlie Watts. There is no stopping him behind the kit: The man didn't miss a beat, displaying an unerring instinct when it comes to playing it light or putting some muscle in his hits. And he did it all while wearing the same impassive, almost bored look on his face. He's Buster Keaton on the backbeat.

They wisely kept their set focused on their 60's-70's material, playing a smattering of cuts from records like Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main St., and Some Girls. The Stones have been altering their setlists from night to night, and for their Arizona show, it seemed like they were emphasizing their country-tinged numbers. While the glorious "Wild Horses" was sadly kept in its stable, they did hit us with "Dead Flowers" and "Sweet Virginia." The band played these acoustic numbers closer to the floor, moving down a catwalk to set up shop on an in-the-round platform.

The end of "Dead Flowers" actually ended up triggering the most chaotic moment of the night when Watts hurled one of his drumsticks into the crowd. The stick ricocheted off the head of one of my esteemed colleagues and rebounded into the aisle. A pair of men pounced on top of it and furiously fought a tug-of-war over it. You'd think Watts' drumstick was a set of nude Tomi Lahren photos, considering the absolute ferocity these two white boomers displayed before security guards came along to break it up.

The best part about it? The whole thing happened as the band launched into "Sympathy For The Devil" — their timing could not have been better.

That was probably the thing I missed most about The Stones: that sense of danger that pervades so much of their work. Jagger can be romantic, wistful, playful, and melancholy. He can also be perverse and sadistic, leering with delight over whatever lyrical transgressions he's committing.

That side of him was gone tonight. He was in entertainer mode. Few are better at it, but there were moments where wish he would sing "You make a dead man cum" at the end of "Start Me Up." It's probably silly of me to expect someone who's a grandfather now to still be Turner from Performance, but the allure of rock 'n' roll mythology is hard to shake.

What was delightful was seeing how much fun they were having up there. The way Watts would break into a grin in the middle of "Get Off Of My Cloud" when Jagger spontaneously hopped behind him (shortly after Jagger almost collided with Wood while sashaying across the stage).

They'd take songs like "Miss You" and "Midnight Rambler" and extend them into long jams, vamping in a way that didn't seem at all planned. The Stones were also pretty generous toward their touring band. Each member got a spotlight moment throughout the show. Bassist Darryl Jones, in particular, seized his moment on "Miss You," turning that song into a clinic on head-bobbing disco bass lines. Sasha Allen also got to take center stage for a bit during the encore on "Gimme Shelter," belting out the climax on the same catwalk that Jagger had been shedding coats on all night long.

They gave "Satisfaction" the stretched-out jammy treatment, but it was worth it. What's the sacrifice of a few hours compared to the thrill of getting to see these old rock gods climb down from Olympus and give us the thunder one last time? We will never see their likes again.

[www.phoenixnewtimes.com]

Date: August 27, 2019 17:49

Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: August 27, 2019 18:30

The last line in the phoenix new times review above by Ashley Naftule says it all:

"We will never see their likes again"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 27, 2019 18:30

MisterDDDD
Hairball

- Absolutely Smokin' HOT show! And I'm not referring to temperature as there was AC inside...
- Had some Shepherds Pie at McFaddens Pub/Saloon pre-show - very good, but my English mother-in-law makes it a thousand times better no doubt about it.
- Completely drained of energy, and my legs and feet are burning...three or four days in Phoenix will do it to ya.
- Early flight back home to the cool breeze of the SoCal Coast, then off to see ZZ Top tomorrow night.
- What could possibly have been my last Stones show ever (?) will be remembered for eternity, though I have a feeling I might see them again somewhere down the road.

Wish I coulda made this one... great show and would have been nice to see Mike (Snap) again.. great guy. Enjoy ZZ Top!

Thanks MisterDDDD - was double Lucky this tour > 2 for 2 > Pit 2 with Lucky Dips , and the other two shows had fantastic seats bought at face value.
Ran into many friends in Pit 2 last night, several who were also in there via Lucky Dips - a massive celebration the entire show.
Currently at Phoenix airport after three hours sleep, driving across town, dropping off rental car, shuttle, TSA, etc. and hanging by a thread. And I wouldn't have it any other way!
The things we do to see the Rolling Stones ha. It's gonna be bittersweet when the current tour is over - THE ROLLING STONES NORTH AMERICA 2019!!!,
but I've had a blast ever since it started (whether at the shows or not), and will have fond memories forever...good times. thumbs up

Looking forward to following the Miami show online here, but not sure of the status other than Dorian is evolving into a hurricane! eye popping smiley
Going to check the Miami thread now, but hoping the show goes on as planned for all those with travel plans, tickets, etc.

EDIT: Forgot to add, as with the case of every Stones show when you leave a city the day after from an airport, many Stones fans milling around right now. Some proudly wearing their Stones shirts as a badge of honor,
and some looking like how I feel....exhausted and haggard in a zombie-like trance...eyes glazed over and staring into space...mumbling gibberish ...drooling...typing nonsense on their latops...winking smileyLOL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-27 18:52 by Hairball.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: August 27, 2019 18:32

maumau
what happened between Mick and the crowd on the catwalk just before Ronnie's solo on YCAGWYW? He seemed pi**ed off

pS: thanks Green Lady for the usual great aid in having a sweet stones morning here

We were trying to figure that out as well. Something certainly happened.

Date: August 27, 2019 18:43

that review of Ashley Natfule above is a perfect example of a good and sensed review of appraisal of a late rolling stones show. I would reccomend it at all those whom, here, believe that a review of a stones show these days can be good only if it contains criticism.

Posted by: dnewton99 ()
Date: August 27, 2019 18:56

All my vids are up now from PIT 1.. missed a Keith song and I think it cut off on another song. Newish Sony DSC HX99
Full playlist of all videos from Glendale here [www.youtube.com]

I miss the great sound of my old pocket Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS50 but Sony takes a bit better video clarity.. The best photos you may be seeing these days tend to come from the even higher end Sony pocket camera which is the Sony RX100 - love the photos I see from my friends who have that.. pricey though.

Glad I squeezed in Glendale... had to bake in the sun for a couple hours in PIT line up but got the rail at end of catwalk.. but obstructed view of band = more so than other rails even though stage seemed a hair lower.. barely could ever see Keith.. but the rail is much easier to vid from..

Date: August 27, 2019 19:00

dnewton99
All my vids are up now from PIT 1.. missed a Keith song and I think it cut off on another song. Newish Sony DSC HX99
Full playlist of all videos from Glendale here [www.youtube.com]

I miss the great sound of my old pocket Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS50 but Sony takes a bit better video clarity.. The best photos you may be seeing these days tend to come from the even higher end Sony pocket camera which is the Sony RX100 - love the photos I see from my friends who have that.. pricey though.

Glad I squeezed in Glendale... had to bake in the sun for a couple hours in PIT line up but got the rail at end of catwalk.. but obstructed view of band = more so than other rails even though stage seemed a hair lower.. barely could ever see Keith.. but the rail is much easier to vid from..

thank u smileys with beer

Date: August 27, 2019 19:10

do you know what song? Was going to check my videos because I saw it and others closer said he looked pissed off.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: August 27, 2019 19:17

MisterDDDD
Hairball

Congrats on Pit 2! You should have come and said hi! Incredible show! Exhausted too! Back to SF this morning - Ringo Starr & His All Starr Band at the Paramount in Oakland tomorrow and then the red eye Thursday to Miami! Then I’ll need to sleep for a month! Blessed!

Date: August 27, 2019 19:20

dnewton99
do you know what song? Was going to check my videos because I saw it and others closer said he looked pissed off.

you cant always get what you want, just before ron wood starts his solo. first he seems to watch over on his left side then he points at someone over his right side

it happens 3 min and 20 secs in the song ca

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-27 19:25 by maumau.

Date: August 27, 2019 19:37

Michael Chow

Date: August 27, 2019 19:38

Michael Chow

Date: August 27, 2019 19:39

Michael Chow

Date: August 27, 2019 19:40

Michael Chow

Posted by: mab1888 ()
Date: August 27, 2019 19:41

Hairball
MisterDDDD
Hairball

Thanks MisterDDDD - was double Lucky this tour > 2 for 2 > Pit 2 with Lucky Dips , and the other two shows had fantastic seats bought at face value.
Ran into many friends in Pit 2 last night, several who were also in there via Lucky Dips - a massive celebration the entire show.
Currently at Phoenix airport after three hours sleep, driving across town, dropping off rental car, shuttle, TSA, etc. and hanging by a thread. And I wouldn't have it any other way!
The things we do to see the Rolling Stones ha. It's gonna be bittersweet when the current tour is over - THE ROLLING STONES NORTH AMERICA 2019!!!,
but I've had a blast ever since it started (whether at the shows or not), and will have fond memories forever...good times. thumbs up

Looking forward to following the Miami show online here, but not sure of the status other than Dorian is evolving into a hurricane! eye popping smiley
Going to check the Miami thread now, but hoping the show goes on as planned for all those with travel plans, tickets, etc.

EDIT: Forgot to add, as with the case of every Stones show when you leave a city the day after from an airport, many Stones fans milling around right now. Some proudly wearing their Stones shirts as a badge of honor,
and some looking like how I feel....exhausted and haggard in a zombie-like trance...eyes glazed over and staring into space...mumbling gibberish ...drooling...typing nonsense on their latops...winking smileyLOL.

Glad you made it to the airport in time hairball.
Had a great time hanging out with you the past couple of days.
Safe travels back home
That was a hot show last night....just like the weather...smiling smiley

Date: August 27, 2019 19:42

Michael Chow

Date: August 27, 2019 19:42

oh bummer - that was song my camera cut off or something - missed the end in vids.. Anyone else got a vid?

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1094
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home