Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 15 of 20
Re: OT: Pink Floyd stuff
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 8, 2023 11:56

yikes!

well at least there no mention of millstones around neckswinking smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 9, 2023 12:39

[www.rollingstone.com]

"Besides Waters, the only collaborators on the new album are reportedly Waters’ longtime collaborator and multi-instrumentalist Gus Seyffert, a “Baptist minister” who plays a Hammond organ, and Seyffert’s girlfriend, the singer Bedouine. Waters is said to play a bass solo on “Us and Them,” and reportedly adds his own vocals over the original album’s instrumentals, including a “prose poem over ‘On The Run.’”

Saunders, who claims he is only one of “handful” of people who have listened to the solo album “from start-to-finish,” described parts of the re-recording as “very good.” In particular, Saunders touts “Time” as “terrific with his old man’s timbre” and the “Money” as a “country-tinged” cut reminiscent of “late Johnny Cash.”

So Waters playing all instruments apart from the Hammond ? Either something got lost in translation or it's going to be a horror show based on all the stories we've heard about the demos Waters brought to PF over the years and that Gilmour had to know into shape !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: February 9, 2023 16:10

Well now Roger Walters has announced re-recording ofDark side
Of the moon with him talking over all instrumental pieces ( see telegraph interview ) . “ it was my project,I wrote it, I can do what I want with it”

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 9, 2023 16:21

Interview here at around 39:00 minutes with the Telegraph journalist who interviewed Roger at his home. Among other things, he talks about the re-recorded version of Dark Side of the Moon, which Roger played for him.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: February 9, 2023 16:31

Roger is pushing 80 and I'm starting to wonder if all this excessive combativeness negativity and illogic isnt an early manifestation of age related cognitve/emotional decline. Its starting to feel weird and unhealthy. He seems to have moved past the "you kids get off my lawn" phase of geriatric crankiness. It does happen to lots of people in the twilight years, sad to say.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 9, 2023 16:50

Beast

Among other things, he talks about the re-recorded version of Dark Side of the Moon, which Roger played for him.

He did this also for the recent interview with the German newspaper Berliner Zeitung - [iorr.org] :

"First, however, he wants to demonstrate something special: In the studio of his house, he plays three tracks from a brand new re-recording of 'The Dark Side of the Moon', which celebrates its 50th birthday in March. 'The new concept is meant to reflect on the meaning of the work, to bring out the heart and soul of the album,' he says, 'musically and spiritually. I’m the only one singing my songs on these new recordings, and there are no rock and roll guitar solos.' The spoken words, superimposed on instrumental pieces like 'On The Run' or 'The Great Gig in the Sky' and over 'Speak To Me', 'Brain Damage' , 'Any Colour You Like' and 'Money' are meant to clarify his 'mantra', the message he considers central to all his work: 'It’s about the voice of reason'."

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 9, 2023 18:17

Generally, I agree with Waters' opinions as often as I disagree with him. Probably because I'm more of a moderate than anything else. The great problem with politics in today's world is there is very little tolerance for dissenting opinions. Look no further than the Gilmours' public attack on Waters and you understand why Bjornulf has his policy on political posts at IORR.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 9, 2023 20:14

Please respect the IORR policy, clearly explained here:

War talks on IORR - posting policy

I do not want any war talks or hate here on IORR

Bjornulf

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 27, 2023 00:43

New Syd Barrett documentary…

[apple.news]

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: April 27, 2023 00:55

Looking forward to the Syd Barrett documentary.
Also looking forward to This is Not a Drill live in the theaters on May 25

[thisisnotadrillfilm.com]

Date: April 27, 2023 01:10

Japanese Multi-Channel Hybrid SACD with 7" Cardboard Sleeve - 19-Apr-2023:

[SuperDeluxeEdition.com] , [www.CDJapan.co.jp] , [www.jpc.de]

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: June 2, 2023 16:58

A recent interview by Snowy White in Guitar World
guitarworld.com/snowy-white-interview

About the legendary fights and feuds, sometimes, you have to be diplomatic and do your stuff, you know winking smiley

" The interrelations within Floyd in the late '70s are said to have been quite interesting. What were your observations between Roger and David during your time with them?

“Interesting… that's one way to describe it. I think it's a lot like living in China – it all depends on where you are – but it was an interesting time. Things would be going on all the time, but I am the sort of guy who lets things go in one ear and out the other. I was learning my songs, playing my parts, and doing my best, so I had my hands full. But there was stuff going on, and it wasn't very good.

“I could hear the arguments between Roger and Dave occasionally, but I did my best to drown that out and focus on doing my thing. It wasn't any concern of mine. But I could tell things weren't going smoothly, and they weren't getting on well.”

Considering you toured with Roger later, would you say you ultimately became closer to Roger than the rest of the band?

“Well, yeah, I worked with Roger a lot more. We did 13 years of touring, which went on almost every year for months. So yeah, I guess so. Then again, I didn't ever really get close too close with any of them. And I think that was because I felt that I didn't need to do that. Instead, I did my thing, did my best, and enjoyed it.

“For me, it was fine, but I didn't get involved on a social level with Roger, particularly. We'd email and occasionally talk, but we're not on the same wavelength overall. We had musical chemistry rather than a personal one, I think.” "

There were similar interview in Rolling Stone in 2020
rollingstone.com/snowy-white-guitarist-interview-roger-waters-pink-floyd

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: June 3, 2023 04:22

Roger Waters - O2 Arena Prague, 24/05/2023 - Briliant sound - Pink Floyd songs only!

This is footage from what they showed in the theaters.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: June 3, 2023 21:35

Saw Roger Waters, OVO Hydro night #1, in Glasgow last night.
True to form, highly artistic, impressive stage design and props. Adding to the flying pig, a staple of Waters’ show, this time we were treated to a flying sheep! What’s next? A flying Gilmour?
Equally true to form, we were bombarded with the messages from the show host, many of which were political (predictably). I can’t go further into this realm for obvious reasons, except stating that some of them were decent, others not so much.

All in all, I prefer his Us + Them show I attended at Hyde Park 2018. Although This Is Not A Drill show offers a number of astonishing moments of its own, watching the whopping big, gargantuan stage in the outdoor setting morphing into the Buttersea Power Station in front of our eyes was a gobsmacking, jaw-dropping experience, a scene never to forget.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-04 03:41 by RisingStone.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: June 3, 2023 23:28

RisingStone
What’s next? A flying Gilmour?

I guess a flying Gilmour alone wouldn't be enough for Roger. So, minimally a flying Gilmour with pants down, or so ... cool smiley

Date: June 4, 2023 19:27

spikenyc

Roger Waters - O2 Arena Prague, 24/05/2023 - Briliant sound - Pink Floyd songs only!

This is footage from what they showed in the theaters.

Thanks for sharing. Sound, visual and arrangements are very good.
But, how can't he deny he is lip sync ing all the bloody @#$%& time ??????

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: June 6, 2023 21:29

It looks to me like the sound is not synced to the video, which makes it look like a bad lip-sync, but I highly doubt RW lip-syncs at his expensive live shows.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 6, 2023 22:04

He's been known to lip-synch a bit in the past which is unforgivable, but evidently a majority of the current tour is 100% live.

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: June 7, 2023 01:12

He definitely lip synced a handful of tracks in Vancouver last fall. Sheep is one for sure, but the majority seemed to be live.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: June 7, 2023 04:50

Technically, he doesn't actually lip sync, because he's 'singing' (or grunting, or emoting, whatever) live underneath a pre-recorded track. There are vids out there where you can hear the separation.

I heard much of The Wall tour in 2010-11 had him doing this, and on tours before that, even.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: June 7, 2023 10:19

I went to see this in theater. I’m not a fan of Waters or Pink Floyd, but it was very nice to watch a live concert on a big screen on a comfortable seat and s cold wine bottle in hand for 20€ (wine not included). I wish The Stones would do something like this too.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 7, 2023 11:51

There's this argument that "he never just admits he does it" yet when I was at The Wall in 2011 he announced that he was going to "duet" with a recording of himself from 1980. Obviously these folks want him to come out with "my live shows are not actually live" as if anyone would ever do that but basically he was way ahead of them =)

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: June 7, 2023 15:18

Nikkei
There's this argument that "he never just admits he does it" yet when I was at The Wall in 2011 he announced that he was going to "duet" with a recording of himself from 1980. Obviously these folks want him to come out with "my live shows are not actually live" as if anyone would ever do that but basically he was way ahead of them =)

This was only one song – Mother – and it worked well.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 7, 2023 15:23

Sure but it lets the air out of the "not admitting" part of the argument and that's sort of funny to me

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 9, 2023 05:40

Roger has never admitted it and its upsetting. I've accepted it in the way that I don't feel its worth my money if he's gonna do that, but its been so long that clearly he's not going to stop and also many other disagree. But there's plenty of examples:

On his 99-02 tour, he lip synced Every Stranger's Eyes.

On the Dark Side 06-08 tour, he lip synced Have A Cigar and The Gunner's Dream. I think maybe also some part of Fletcher Memorial. The @#$%& up at 4:18 is always a gut punch to me during Gunner's Dream: [www.youtube.com]

On his Wall tour, I remember going and thinking he'll never be able to sing this stuff well. And he did and it was great. Then I found out "oh, cause most of it is lip synced." That kinda took the wind out of some of it, but I do still have fond memories of that night.

On his Us and Them tour there were certainly multiple songs he lip synced. Here's Another Brick In The Wall @#$%& up: [www.youtube.com]

He's certainly able to do whatever he wants, even if I don't agree with it, but at this point he's essentially whispering into a microphone. He's delivering a fantastic multimedia show, playing good bass, and is physically present on stage, but the more examples there are the more I tend to just think he's maybe not singing anything actually live.

Date: June 9, 2023 16:11

From what I saw on the recent Prague concert, there is clearly two worlds.

At the beginning, there are challenging vocal parts, in particular for the Wall songs, he appears, at least to me, completely out, and it is not a problem of video sync.

On the other hand, at the end, in particular for the Dark Side songs, he's singing much less, leaving Gilmour's and Wright's parts to other musicians. But, for that part of the show, he is convincing and really brings something, vocal wise.

My humble opinion is that one should know his own limits and the show would be even better.

[edit for typos]

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: June 10, 2023 15:08

Roger Waters is using pre recorded tapes of his VOICE.
And I don't speak about his virtual duet on Mother.

That is a fact.

He sings over is own tape but what you actually ear in the venue is mostly the pre recorded tape.

Just make a test : listen Roger singing ABITW part 3 in Berlin 1990 - real voice.
Then listen to the same song on the 2014 release of The Wall Live.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: June 13, 2023 08:57

Imagine being in a band with not one but two total @***holes. Being around both Gilmour and Waters must have been tough.

Date: June 29, 2023 22:00

Rick Wright's 1978 solo album 'Wet Dream' (as 2023 Remix) will be reissued on CD, Color-Vinyl and BluRay with Dolby Atmos - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] . Plus original & instrumental mixes - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

Also available digitally - [www.Qobuz.com] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-14 13:05 by Irix.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 30, 2023 03:09

Could never have a reunion without Richard Wright. So glad he was there at Live 8, even though the cameras didn't care enough to show him. The day he died, any hopes of a reunion went away for me. Wouldn't be legitimate and I could never see Gilmour agreeing now. All 4 of those guys were so important, and Richard is so essential to their overall sound, too frequently overlooked.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 15 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1705
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home