Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 20
Re: OT: Pink Floyd stuff
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 12, 2022 23:40

NashvilleBlues
Essential Pink Floyd:
Piper
DSOTM
WYWH
Animals
Wall

Almost essential:
Saucerful
Meddle
OBC (highly underrated)

For true fans only:
More
Ummagumma
Atom Heart Mother
Final Cut

I didn't include Water-less Floyd

What are yours?

Essential albums - (w/absolute favorite desert island discs in bold)

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
A Saucerful of Secrets
More
Ummagumma
Atom Heart Mother
Meddle
Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall

The Final Cut

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-12 23:41 by Hairball.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 13, 2022 00:55

The Wall being anti Pink Floyd you got a solid point there RollingFreak

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 13, 2022 01:01

Not that much of a catalogue, although David Gilmour probably thinks so.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: April 14, 2022 17:22

After three years, Nick Mason is on tour again. Setlist from yesterday... Echoes!

[www.setlist.fm]

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 14, 2022 18:49

noughties
Not that much of a catalogue, although David Gilmour probably thinks so.

Huh?

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 14, 2022 23:31

-Catalogue, how many albums, quantity. Stones have made more albums during about the same length of time.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 15, 2022 00:47

David Gilmour talks with Jim Sciutto of CNN:

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 15, 2022 03:25

Milan
After three years, Nick Mason is on tour again. Setlist from yesterday... Echoes!

[www.setlist.fm]

@#$%&, thats good.

Burning Bridges, Echoes and Candy And A Currant Bun in for Green Is The Color, Let There Be More Light, Point Me At The Sky at quick glance.

Sad to see Green Is The Color go but Echoes MORE than makes up for that. So it still looks like a rollicking perfect setlist, made even more perfect with the addition of Echoes.

Date: April 15, 2022 04:02

Milan

[www.setlist.fm]

Enjoyed the one show I saw a couple years ago, but once was enough. They're basically a glorified tribute band with only Nick the drummer as being an original member of Pink Floyd, yet who had very little (if anything) to do with any of the actual songwriting, though glad he is keeping busy. To see the video of them performing Echoes I couldn't help think of it as being sacrilegious...that band has completely sucked out the Pink Floyd vibe with bassist Guy Pratt bouncing around on stage awkwardly. And no David on guitar, and no Rick on keyboards, not to mention their essential vocal harmonies are missing...it's no wonder sales are so poor for this tour.

OT: Pink Floyd stuff
Date: April 25, 2022 23:13

Gary Kemp and Guy Pratt talk with their Saucerful of Secrets bandmate Nick Mason on the latest Rockonteurs podcast:

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 7, 2022 03:22

Gilmour hints that live performances as "Pink Floyd" might still be a possibility.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 7, 2022 03:59

Even though that interview was posted on youtube yesterday by Pink Floyd Collectors, the interview itself is over two weeks old and was posted previously on youtube back on April 23. > Gilmour

"We haven't even thought of doing live shows, but I suppose that's a possibility"

Hard to even call them Pink Floyd at this point, but maybe a one-off appearance of this one song at some sort of a multi-artist benefit for Ukraine (ala Live Aid) would be appropriate and something to appreciate.
Especially if Ukranian singer Andriy Khlyvnyuk was involved. After all it was his a capella version of the song that was used for this so-called "Pink Floyd" studio version, and without him it wouldn't be the same.
Otherwise, can't imagine Gilmour and Mason ever performing again as "Pink Floyd" - it would be beyond diluted imo.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: May 7, 2022 11:56

I was at the Sheffield gig last week. I'm not a Pink Floyd die- hard by any means but I thought the music was tremendous. (I don't understand what I call the 'whimsical stuff' like 'Bike', but I must have been the only one present, and the rest was great), The love that flowed between crowd and artist was palpable. 'Echoes' was a highlight, and Gary Kemp was a revelation. He played and sang really well and he expressed genuine enthusiasm and respect for the music. Why shouldn't Nick Mason pay tribute to what he and the band achieved all those years ago? He spoke between numbers giving full praise and recognition to Syd Barrett.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: May 8, 2022 19:57

tatters
Gilmour hints that live performances as "Pink Floyd" might still be a possibility.

[www.youtube.com]

Would be nice but they need to release a full lp to tour just to make it more interesting. But I personally think the chances are slim.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 8, 2022 20:37

I've got my Roger tickets for Montreal! 4th time seeing him. I did see Dave, Rick and Nick in '94.

My essential Floyd albums.
Atom Heart Mother
Meddle
DSOTM
WYWH
Animals
The Final Cut

Essential Solo Floyd
David Gilmour
Wet Dream
Pros and Cons
Amused to Death
Broken China
On an Island

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 23, 2022 23:00

'Hey Hey Rise Up’, Pink Floyd‘s digital single, will be released as CD-Single & 7"-Vinyl with the bonus-track ‘A Great Day For Freedom' on 15-Jul-2022 - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

Date: June 24, 2022 00:49

noughties
-Catalogue, how many albums, quantity. Stones have made more albums during about the same length of time.

I stand by my “huh?”

Pink Floyd released their first 11 albums in a 12 1/3 year span (2 of the 11 were double albums). In that exact span (August 1967 to December 1979), The Rolling Stones released 8 albums (one double).

Pink Floyd started 3 years after The Stones. Waters’ last album with the band was in 1983. And the Gilmour version’s last album (not counting Endless River, which was leftovers) was in 1994.

And don’t give me that argument that The Stones released tons of albums in the early to mid 60’s. First, look how many covers there were on their first handful of albums. Second, The Beatles and Bob Dylan released more than an album a year in the early to mid 60’s, too. It was more common than from the late 60’s on. Last, I hope you’re not counting the UK and US versions of their early albums as 2 separate albums.

I love The Stones, but your album output argument just doesn’t hold water.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 24, 2022 06:17

Irix

'Hey Hey Rise Up’, Pink Floyd‘s digital single, will be released as CD-Single & 7"-Vinyl with the bonus-track ‘A Great Day For Freedom' on 15-Jul-2022 - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

That is great news!!! Wish Mick woulda done this with Eazy Sleazy.

Date: June 30, 2022 20:46

Animals to be re-released...

[www.msn.com]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 30, 2022 21:25

NashvilleBlues

Animals to be re-released...

- CD + DVD + BluRay + Vinyl-LP Deluxe-Gatefold-Edition + 32 pg. Book
- Gatefold Vinyl-LP
- CD-Edition
- Standalone BluRay-Audio
- Hybrid Multichannel SACD - [Store.AcousticSounds.com]

All formats offer the new 2018 stereo mix (by James Guthrie). The DVD and BluRay offer this mix along with Guthrie’s 5.1 mix and the original mix (in 2011 remaster guise).

16-Sep-2022 & 7-Oct-2022 - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-30 21:35 by Irix.

Date: June 30, 2022 21:38

30 June 2022

PINK FLOYD'S 'ANIMALS 2018 REMIX'

Warner Music [Sony Music outside Europe] today announced the upcoming release of Pink Floyd's 'Animals' on Deluxe Gatefold, CD, LP, Blu-ray and SACD. The individual versions will be available on 16 September 2022 with the Deluxe version available from 7 October. This is the first time the album will have been available on 5.1 Surround Sound.

Animals is the tenth studio album by Pink Floyd, originally released in January 1977. It was recorded at the band's Britannia Row Studios in London throughout 1976 and early 1977, and was produced by the band themselves. The successful album peaked at number 2 in the UK and number 3 in the US, and is considered as one of the band's best works. The album was recorded by band members David Gilmour, Nick Mason, Roger Waters and Richard Wright.

Animals 2018 Remix will be released on CD, LP (with gatefold artwork), Blu-ray, SACD and Deluxe Gatefold formats. The Deluxe Gatefold version includes LP, CD, audio Blu-ray, audio DVD and a 32-page book. The Blu-ray and DVD audio include the 2018 remix in Stereo, 5.1 Surround (both by James Guthrie) and the original 1977 Stereo mix. The 32-page booklet features rarely seen behind the scenes photographs of the album sleeve shoot along with live images and memorabilia. The album artwork has been reimagined for this release.

Animals is a concept album, focusing on the social-political conditions of mid-1970s Britain, and was a change from the style of the band's earlier work. The album was developed from a collection of unrelated songs into a concept which describes the apparent social and moral decay of society, likening the human condition to that of animals. Taking inspiration from George Orwell's Animal Farm, the album depicts the different classes of people as animals with pigs being at the top of the social chain, dropping down to the sheep as the mindless herd following what they are told, with dogs as the business bosses getting fat on the money and power they hold over the other. Although it's been a long time since 1977, the narrative of the album still resonates today as our social and economical situation mirrors that of the time.

The album's iconic cover shows an inflatable pig (now known as Algie) floating between two chimneys of the Battersea Power Station, conceived by Roger Waters, and designed by long-time collaborator Storm Thorgerson of Hipgnosis Studios. For this new release, the artwork has been re-designed for the modern era by Storm's Hipgnosis partner Aubrey 'Po' Powell. Taking new shots of the building as it appeared during the recent conversion work, Po experimented with new angles and produce some striking new takes on the classic original. Po elaborates: "With the original 1977 album cover being such an iconic piece of stand-alone art, I had the chance to update it, which was a rather daunting task, but Hipgnosis took the opportunity to re-photograph the image to reflect a changing world, and by using modern digital colouring techniques I kept Pink Floyd's rather bleak message of moral decay using the Orwellian themes of animals, the pig 'Algie', faithful to the message of the album".

Pink Floyd's 'Animals 2018 Remix' is available to pre-order here.

[www.pinkfloyd.com]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 30, 2022 21:42

So nothing is extra on this, right? No live or outtakes? Just a remix and liner notes?

Date: June 30, 2022 21:44

What does the sheep say? Meh

Date: June 30, 2022 22:14

Nikkei

...or the dogs, pigs (three different ones), or pigs on the wing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-30 22:18 by NashvilleBlues.

Date: June 30, 2022 22:22

Four years after the fact...a bit underwhelming to say the least....

Part of the delay was due to a disagreement over the original liner notes that were initially agreed upon by all members, but then for whatever reason David Gilmour decided to veto them.

As described here by Roger in a post from May 21, 2021:

Animals

A note from Roger Waters to Pink Floyd fans:

As I am banned by Dave Gilmour from posting on Pink Floyd’s Facebook page with its 30,000,000 subscribers, I am posting this announcement here today and in full on rogerwaters.com.
First, a warm welcome back to our little band of brothers and sisters who have always kept an open mind, let’s hope some of the fans whose access to my words is suppressed by Gilmour find their way here and discover some truth. What precipitated this note is that there are new James Guthrie Stereo and 5.1 mixes of the Pink Floyd album Animals, 1977. These mixes have languished unreleased because of a dispute over some sleeve notes that Mark Blake has written for this new release. Gilmour has vetoed the release of the album unless these liner notes are removed. He does not dispute the veracity of the history described in Mark’s notes, but he wants that history to remain secret. This is a small part of an ongoing campaign by the Gilmour/Samson camp to claim more credit for Dave on the work he did in Pink Floyd, 1967-1985, than is his due. Yes he was, and is, a jolly good guitarist and singer. But, he has for the last 35 years told a lot of whopping porky pies about who did what in Pink Floyd when I was still in charge. There’s a lot of “we did this” and “we did that,” and “I did this” and “I did that.” So, two things:

(1). I am agreeing to the release of the new Animals remix, with the sleeve notes removed. Good work James Guthrie by the way, and sorry Mark Blake. The final draft of the liner notes was fact checked and agreed as factually correct by me, Nick and Gilmour. Here they are, enjoy, there’s nothing controversial, just a few simple facts.

Mark Blake: Liner Notes
Pink Floyd: Animals

Despite being recorded in London during the long, summer heatwave of 1976, Pink Floyd’s Animals remains a dark album. Its critique of capitalism and greed caught the prevailing mood in Britain: a time of industrial strife, economic turmoil, The Troubles in Northern Ireland, and the race riots of Notting Hill. The album was released on January 23rd 1977, but the roots of Pink Floyd’s tenth studio album go back earlier in the decade. Following the success of 1973’s The Dark Side Of The Moon, Pink Floyd pondered their next move. During a two-to-three week jam session in early 1974, the band worked on ideas for three new compositions. From these sessions the band developed Shine On You Crazy Diamond, (A passionate tribute to Syd Barrett, words by Roger Waters. Added by me, sorry couldn’t help it.) which became the centrepiece of Floyd’s next album, Wish You Were Here, and Raving And Drooling (composed by Roger Waters) and You Gotta Be Crazy written by Waters and David Gilmour.

Raving And Drooling was a tale of violent social disorder, while You Gotta Be Crazy told the story of a soulless businessman clawing and cheating his way to the top. Both were performed live for the first time on the Floyd’s winter tour of 1974. They were both considered for the Wish You Were Here album, but Roger insisted that neither song was relevant to the overall idea, that “Wish You Were Here” was essentially about absence, and as neither song fitted his conception of the record’s overall theme, neither song should be included. The band eventually concurred. Scroll forward two years, and Roger had an idea for the next Pink Floyd album. He borrowed from George Orwell’s allegorical story, Animal Farm, in which pigs and other farmyard animals were reimagined anthropomorphically. Waters portrays the human race as three sub-species trapped in a violent, vicious cycle, with sheep serving despotic pigs and authoritarian dogs. You Gotta be Crazy and Raving And Drooling perfectly fitted his new concept. In the meantime, a year earlier, the group had bought a set of disused church buildings in Britannia Row, Islington, which they’d converted into a studio and storage facility. Prior to this every Pink Floyd studio release had been partly or wholly recorded at Abbey Road studios. Pink Floyd had also found a new recording engineer. Brian Humphries, an engineer from Pye studios, who they had met while recording the sound track for “More”, a movie directed by Barbet Schroeder. Brian had gone on to engineer Wish You Were Here at Abbey Road, and also helped them out on the road, so they had got to know him very well. Using their own studio marked a significant change in their working methods. There were setbacks and teething problems, but also a great sense of freedom.

Following Roger’s instincts about the new songs paid off, the songs had an aggressive edge far removed from the luxuriant soundscapes on Wish You Were Here. It was a timely change of direction. At Britannia Row, he renamed Raving And Drooling, Sheep and Gotta Be Crazy became Dogs. The narrative was completed by the addition of two new Waters songs: Pigs (Three Different Ones) and Pigs On The Wing.

On Pigs (Three Different Ones), the lyrics namechecked Mary Whitehouse, the head of the National Viewers And Listeners Association. Whitehouse was an outspoken critic of sex and violence on British television and a topical target for Roger’s ire. The subject matter was bleak, but Nick Mason recalled lighter moments over dubbing songs with special effects and barnyard noises. While Sheep also made room for Roger’s blackly comic variation on Psalm 23: “He maketh me to hang on hooks in high places/ He converteth me to lamb cutlets…” The music and the performance mirrored the intensity of the lyrics. Keyboard player Richard Wright’s eerie-sounding synths and Hammond organ cranked up the unease. While David Gilmour’s shared lead vocal on Dogs and his guitar playing throughout Animals offered a striking counterpoint to Roger’s brutal lyrics. In contrast, Animals began and ended on an optimistic note. The verses of Pigs on The Wing were split in two and bookended the album. Roger’s lyrics and vocal performance of acoustic intro and outro (“You know that I care what happens to you/ And I know that you care for me too…”) suggested hope for humanity. The idea for Pink Floyd’s flying pig was also Roger’s. He had already commissioned its building as a stage device for the next tour. Storm Thorgerson and Aubrey Powell of the design company Hipgnosis, had produced a number of design ideas for an Animals sleeve and presented them to the band but none of the band, liked them, and when Roger added his disapproval someone said, ”Well why don’t you come up with something better then?” So he did, on the drive from his house in South London to Britannia Row, he regularly passed Battersea Power Station. He was drawn to the imposing brick building, and by the number four. Four in the band, four phallic chimneys, and if the power station were turned upside down then it resembled a table with four legs. He pursued his idea and had a maquette made, a small scale model of the eventual full scale inflatable pig. He then took photographs of Battersea Power station and created a photographic mock up of an album sleeve. The rest of the band loved it. Storm and Po, who had designed all of the previous Pink Floyd album covers, graciously offered to source photographers for the photo shoot, and did. On the first day of the photo shoot, the pig failed to inflate. On the second day, it broke free of its moorings and disappeared into a beautiful brooding sky, prompting a frantic call to the police and a halt to all flights in and out of Heathrow. The pig eventually crash-landed in a farmer’s field in Kent.

The following day, the shoot went ahead without a hitch, great shots of pig in situ but no brooding sky. So Storm and Po stripped Day three Pig into Day two sky, bingo! History. Animals was a hit, reaching Number 2 in the UK and Number 3 in the US. Pink Floyd’s pig, Algie, made its live debut on their subsequent “In The Flesh” tour in 1977. At stadium shows in America, it was joined by another Water’s idea, an inflatable nuclear family comprising a mother, father and 2.5 children, surrounded by the spoils of a consumerist lifestyle: an inflatable Cadillac, oversized TV and refrigerator. Roger called it Electric Theatre. Both the album and the tour signposted the way to Pink Floyd’s next release, The Wall, and to Roger’s ever more ambitious ideas, both in terms of his music, narratives, politics and stage shows. But his themes and ideas explored on Animals have endured. More than 40 years on the album has been remixed in stereo and 5.1. In troubled times and an uncertain world, Animals is as timely and relevant now as it ever was.
- Mark Blake

Thanks Mark, sorry you were redacted.

Date: June 30, 2022 22:27

NashvilleBlues
Nikkei

...or the dogs, pigs (three different ones), or pigs on the wing?

surely the pigs should be thrilled as the discover those pearls

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 30, 2022 22:30

Nice they are making the blu-ray available by itself. Can't wait to hear the surround mix of this one!

Date: June 30, 2022 22:57

They should have given us the California Stockyard as a bonus.

It was the last time they played Careful with that Axe Eugene and is considered one of their best shows.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: July 3, 2022 22:24

crholmstrom
Nice they are making the blu-ray available by itself. Can't wait to hear the surround mix of this one!

I was conviced that they would only made it available though the super deluxe.

So I am positivley surprised and will happily buy it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-03 22:25 by ds1984.

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: July 4, 2022 00:04

Saw Britt Floyd last night in Portland- best cover band I've ever seen- excellent show.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1360
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home