Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 20
Re: OT: Pink Floyd stuff
Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 9, 2022 19:52

Hairball
Nikkei
What do people think about when they read "Pink Floyd reunite" That's right, something very else

A misuse, or an abuse of the name "Pink Floyd".
As crholmstrom mentioned "down to 1 original member" - that being Nick the drummer.
But again, it's for a good cause, though it might have been more tasteful to simply call it the Gilmour/Mason band.

Truly curious, is Charlie considered an “original member” of The Stones?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 9, 2022 19:53

bye bye johnny
David Gilmour: Why I’m Bringing Back Pink Floyd After 28 Years

The courage of the people of Ukraine inspired Gilmour and drummer Nick Mason to release their first new song as Pink Floyd since 1994: “We want to spread this message of peace, and we want to raise the morale of the people who are defending their homeland”

By Kory Grow
April 8. 2022

Courtesy of Pink Floyd

[www.rollingstone.com]

Syd (doing his best Uncle Fester) has aged well. Is that Roger or Rick on the right?

Shine On, You Crazy Diamond......... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 9, 2022 19:58

NashvilleBlues
Hairball
Nikkei
What do people think about when they read "Pink Floyd reunite" That's right, something very else

As crholmstrom mentioned "down to 1 original member" - that being Nick the drummer.
But again, it's for a good cause, though it might have been more tasteful to simply call it the Gilmour/Mason band.

Considering him "unoriginal" on a technicality would be sophistic and doesn't impact the real world

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 9, 2022 20:00

gotdablouse
daspyknows
When is the tour?

They're not touring and will never tour again so have nothing to fear by releasing a song that won't please "everyone", the same can't be said of our favorite band...

And that's from someone who saw "some" cynicism from Gilmour when he accepted to play Live 8 a year before relaunching his solo career and releasing TER under PF in 2014 before resuming his solo career ;-)

I was being sarcastic there.

Date: April 9, 2022 20:06

The guy does look like Barrett. Nick Mason on the other hand looks at you like an embodiment of the line "hanging on in quiet desperation is the english way"

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 9, 2022 20:12

Nikkei
The guy does look like Barrett. Nick Mason on the other hand looks at you like an embodiment of the line "hanging on in quiet desperation is the english way"

put a pointy hat on him & Gilmour looks like a garden gnome! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: April 9, 2022 20:31

Nikkei
NashvilleBlues
Hairball
Nikkei

Considering him "unoriginal" on a technicality would be sophistic and doesn't impact the real world

Same with David Gilmour, too?

Date: April 9, 2022 21:12

NashvilleBlues
Nikkei
NashvilleBlues
Hairball
Nikkei

Charlie was on all of the Stones albums, Gilmour wasn't on Piper at the Gates of Dawn. There's your difference. As much as I like Gilmour's guitar playing, I can't listen to any of the Floyd records after Final Cut. I'm sure there's an ok song or 2 but for the most part they are pretty dull to my ears. Good on them for supporting the people of Ukraine but it's not Pink Floyd.

Date: April 9, 2022 21:20

I agree with this it is not Pink Floyd.

My guess is they did it to first bring support for Ukraine and second to keep Pink Floyd in the headlines.

Syd may have been the original guitar player David Gilmour was in the band for a longer period and played on their most successful albums.

This was a band that required input from all 4 members. Without each other they were like a bird without wings.

crholmstrom
NashvilleBlues
Nikkei
NashvilleBlues
Hairball
Nikkei

Charlie was on all of the Stones albums, Gilmour wasn't on Piper at the Gates of Dawn. There's your difference. As much as I like Gilmour's guitar playing, I can't listen to any of the Floyd records after Final Cut. I'm sure there's an ok song or 2 but for the most part they are pretty dull to my ears. Good on them for supporting the people of Ukraine but it's not Pink Floyd.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 9, 2022 21:44

georgemcdonnell314
I agree with this it is not Pink Floyd.

My guess is they did it to first bring support for Ukraine and second to keep Pink Floyd in the headlines.

From David Gilmour's Rolling Stone interview:

Why was it important to release the song as Pink Floyd and not one of your own recordings?
Well, obviously, the following that we have as Pink Floyd — the size of the platform. When I spoke to Nick, and he said he was willing to do it as Pink Floyd, it seemed like a no-brainer. We want to spread this message of peace, and we want to raise the morale of the people who are defending their homeland there in Ukraine. So why not?

Are you considering more Pink Floyd music? How did this fit into the rest of the music you’re working on?
This is a one-off for Pink Floyd. I’m casually working away all the time. I’m hoping to get an album finished at some point, but my focus at this very moment is just on this.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: April 9, 2022 21:59

crholmstrom
NashvilleBlues
Nikkei
NashvilleBlues
Hairball
Nikkei

Fair enough, and I pretty much agree. Just wondering what people’s definition of “original member” means.

And Final Cut is pretty much a Waters solo album. I put it in the same category as post-Waters Floyd. They stopped being Pink Floyd to me after The Wall.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 9, 2022 22:26

crholmstrom
NashvilleBlues
Nikkei
NashvilleBlues
Hairball
Nikkei

Definitely not Pink Floyd, but yes good on them for supporting the cause. As Gilmour said in the Rolling Stone interview, they used the "Pink Floyd" name simply to bring more attention to the cause.
Had it been labeled as a Gilmour solo release, or a Gilmour/Mason release, they might have only gotten 1% or less of the attention that it's getting as "Pink Floyd".

On another note, there's another remix making the rounds that was done by musician/producer The Kiffness over a month ago with over 5,250,000 views on youtube, with all proceeds going to humaitarian relief for Ukraine. There's a good probability Gilmour had seen this, and then "borrowed" the idea, so seems that once again he's taking the credit for concepts and ideas invented by others as he's done so many times in the past.
At least it's all going to a good cause this time, but credit should be given to The Kiffness and his creative originality for coming up with this original remix in the first place, and which I find to be much more moving:

"As promised, we agreed that all royalty earnings from this video will be donated to humanitarian aid for the Ukrainian armed forces".

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 10, 2022 15:47

Hairball
crholmstrom
NashvilleBlues
Nikkei
NashvilleBlues
Hairball
Nikkei

Definitely not Pink Floyd, but yes good on them for supporting the cause. As Gilmour said in the Rolling Stone interview, they used the "Pink Floyd" name simply to bring more attention to the cause.
Had it been labeled as a Gilmour solo release, or a Gilmour/Mason release, they might have only gotten 1% or less of the attention that it's getting as "Pink Floyd".

On another note, there's another remix making the rounds that was done by musician/producer The Kiffness over a month ago with over 5,250,000 views on youtube, with all proceeds going to humaitarian relief for Ukraine. There's a good probability Gilmour had seen this, and then "borrowed" the idea, so seems that once again he's taking the credit for concepts and ideas invented by others as he's done so many times in the past.
At least it's all going to a good cause this time, but credit should be given to The Kiffness and his creative originality for coming up with this original remix in the first place, and which I find to be much more moving:

"As promised, we agreed that all royalty earnings from this video will be donated to humanitarian aid for the Ukrainian armed forces".

The "concept and idea" of remixing is not exactly new so accusing Gilmour of artistic robbery is a bit off to say the least.

Why can't you just acknowledge the good cause and leave your constant bickering behind for a while?

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 10, 2022 16:11

To me, musically speaking, it`s a non-event. A trad song with some guitar noodling added, plus, not to forget, Nick Mason`s most welcome drumming.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 10, 2022 16:37

A great, great move by the Pink Floyd dudes. Finally get to see the video, and it was touching all the way. This is how brand can be used for a good cause. Thumbs up!

And that Gilmour dude.. He still knows how to play Gilmour-like lead guitar...

- Doxa

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 11, 2022 18:23

I must say I have always felt like Floyd were one band where I was just missing the boat for some reason. I've always known a lot of highly educated folks who consider them to be the best band ever, and I just never understood the fascination. I loooooooooooooove The Wall. I think it's quintessential. DSOTM notsomuch. Highly overrated actually, IMO. My eldest son, who will be 18 later this month really enjoys them and has wanted me to delve into them for some time now, which I finally did a couple of weeks back. Honestly, I'd say that overall, my original opinion does stand. I am just missing something I guess. Most of the early stuff, I feel like I'd enjoy much more if I were on an Acid trip, and I stopped that back in high school. The final assessment that I came to was this, as I told my boys:

The Wall - classic, Top 25 all time for me, most likely. Definitely Top 30.
Momentary Lapse - also incredible, not far behind The Wall.
Wish You Were Here - Very good.
Saucerful, Meddle, Obscured, Final Cut, and Division Bell - all good.
Piper - starts off good (reminds me of early Who), but then gets weird.

Everything else I can't get into.

IDK I just don't get the fascination with them. But I do quite enjoy this new single. And I like Waters' version of The Wall a whole lot as well.

Date: April 11, 2022 18:27

VoodooLounge13
I must say I have always felt like Floyd were one band where I was just missing the boat for some reason. I've always known a lot of highly educated folks who consider them to be the best band ever, and I just never understood the fascination. I loooooooooooooove The Wall. I think it's quintessential. DSOTM notsomuch. Highly overrated actually, IMO. My eldest son, who will be 18 later this month really enjoys them and has wanted me to delve into them for some time now, which I finally did a couple of weeks back. Honestly, I'd say that overall, my original opinion does stand. I am just missing something I guess. Most of the early stuff, I feel like I'd enjoy much more if I were on an Acid trip, and I stopped that back in high school. The final assessment that I came to was this, as I told my boys:

IDK I just don't get the fascination with them. But I do quite enjoy this new single. And I like Waters' version of The Wall a whole lot as well.

My favorite is "Animals". Roger was spot on with the lyrics & the band was in a definite groove. It's cool that you can hear the songs develop on bootlegs as they were doing the material live well before the record was recorded.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 11, 2022 18:37

crholmstrom
VoodooLounge13

My favorite is "Animals". Roger was spot on with the lyrics & the band was in a definite groove. It's cool that you can hear the songs develop on bootlegs as they were doing the material live well before the record was recorded.

That's one of my son's favorites of theirs. To me it was a bit too slow and sleepy.

Date: April 11, 2022 18:45

Love me some Animals. Coincided with my college sociology classes. So many parallels (Industrial Revolution, alienation, etc.)

Check out the solo that links Pigs on the Wing Pt. 2 with Pt. 1 (8 track version only), to make Animals a never-ending loop.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: April 11, 2022 18:53

NashvilleBlues
Love me some Animals. Coincided with my college sociology classes. So many parallels (Industrial Revolution, alienation, etc.)

Check out the solo that links Pigs on the Wing Pt. 2 with Pt. 1 (8 track version only), to make Animals a never-ending loop.

[www.youtube.com]

I may have had that 8 track in my sordid youth, haha. I think the first record I got by them when it was current was Wish You Were Here. The Animals stuff on Roger's last tour was spectacular. I've got tickets to see him in September that I've had since before COVID. That one & RHCP this summer are the only "big" shows I've invested in. Everything else is theaters or clubs. I had to pass on Nick Mason as it was just too damn expensive.

Date: April 11, 2022 19:22

crholmstrom
NashvilleBlues

[www.youtube.com]

I may have had that 8 track in my sordid youth, haha. I think the first record I got by them when it was current was Wish You Were Here. The Animals stuff on Roger's last tour was spectacular. I've got tickets to see him in September that I've had since before COVID. That one & RHCP this summer are the only "big" shows I've invested in. Everything else is theaters or clubs. I had to pass on Nick Mason as it was just too damn expensive.

Seeing RHCP 8/12 and Waters 8/27!

Yes, Waters' Animals stuff last tour was incredible! The guys from My Morning Jacket were in the crowd. MMJ drummer was most likely tripping. The way he was looking at the Animals buildings, shaking his head back and forth was odd.

Date: April 11, 2022 21:50

Pink Floyd’s ‘Rise Up’ Heading For U.K. Top 10

Based on sales and streaming data from the first 48 hours in the chart week, "Rise Up" is heading for a No. 5 debut.

By Lars Brandle
April 11, 2022

[www.billboard.com]

Date: April 11, 2022 22:07

Reuters interview with Guy Pratt, who played bass on "Hey Hey Rise Up":

[www.reuters.com]

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: April 11, 2022 22:28

bye bye johnny
Pink Floyd’s ‘Rise Up’ Heading For U.K. Top 10

Based on sales and streaming data from the first 48 hours in the chart week, "Rise Up" is heading for a No. 5 debut.

By Lars Brandle
April 11, 2022

[www.billboard.com]

Nice! Just gave it a listen. Wonder if Roger was asked to play? I could see him being on the wrong side of this issue.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 12, 2022 20:59

David hates Roger. He was absolutely not asked to play.

Hate might be a strong word, but he doesn't like to give Roger any reason to think he's back in Pink Floyd, which is why he doesn't let Roger's stuff get posted on Pink Floyd's website or let Roger have a say in the liner notes for reissues. I think both Roger and David have valid annoyances with each other, but at their age its kinda silly that this feud still exists.

Date: April 12, 2022 21:29

That's why you shouldn't get to play the reunion card when you got everything set up to take your grudge to the grave

Date: April 12, 2022 21:57

Essential Pink Floyd:
Piper
DSOTM
WYWH
Animals
Wall

Almost essential:
Saucerful
Meddle
OBC (highly underrated)

For true fans only:
More
Ummagumma
Atom Heart Mother
Final Cut

I didn't include Water-less Floyd

What are yours?

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 12, 2022 23:06

NashvilleBlues
Essential Pink Floyd:
Piper
DSOTM
WYWH
Animals
Wall

Almost essential:
Saucerful
Meddle
OBC (highly underrated)

For true fans only:
More
Ummagumma
Atom Heart Mother
Final Cut

I didn't include Water-less Floyd

What are yours?

Essential are the 4 you have. I wouldn't put Piper but I get why. Its massively influential, but as an album I think there are maybe 4 good songs on it (and they are great, but still). Its more of a mood than anything else and laying the groundwork.

Essential Pink Floyd:
DSOTM
WYWH
Animals
Wall - I actually hated The Wall for years and said it was basically anti Pink Floyd. I grew to love it, but forever I was like "This isn't Pink Floyd"

Almost essential:
Atom Heart Mother - even if the band doesn't love it that much
Wall - I actually hated The Wall for years and said it was basically anti Pink Floyd. I grew to love it, but forever I was like "This isn't Pink Floyd"
Meddle - maybe THE Pink Floyd album that isn't one of the obvious ones
OBC (highly underrated) - totally agree

For true fans only:
Final Cut
Piper Of Gates
More
Ummagumma
Saucerful

I actually love the Final Cut but its barely a Floyd album. Its more like the best Waters solo album because I never loved his solo albums because they lacked Gilmour and Gilmour gives The Final Cut a Waters solo album needs. So I think its great, but its barely Pink Floyd. The other 3 honestly I just think are pretty worthless albums. Saucerful has some ok stuff on it, so does More, but you could combine those 3 records (and really just Saucer and More) to make a decent record.

I also didn't include Water-less Floyd because to me without him its honestly not Floyd and everything I've heard sucks. I love them as musicians, but they didn't write a single thing I liked without Waters.[/quote]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-12 23:07 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 12, 2022 23:07

Using your set up, NashvilleBlues, apart from adding one category, maybe something like this:

Essential Pink Floyd:
Piper
Meddle
DSOTM
WYWH

Almost essential:
Saucerful
Ummagumma
OBC

For true fans only:
More
Atom Heart Mother
Animals

Impairing their impact
Wall
Final Cut

Their last three albums, especially the last two, contribute to my not considering Pink Floyd as a fourth favourite band/ group of mine.

Date: April 12, 2022 23:28

Yes, The Wall was a grower for me. Stunning on vinyl!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1609
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home