Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 20
Re: OT: Pink Floyd stuff
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 7, 2022 23:47

Witness
Hairball
Witness
Hairball
At least the vocals add something new, but if you were to take them away, it's basically classic Floydian cliche's - nothing new at all.

Then you miss something important about music though. This is music laden with feelings. And those feelings are not empty.

Then you missed the point. Yes the music is laden with feelings, but it's the vocals that add something new.

New or not new music, the music adds to the vocals. The combination gives rise to the mighty feeling.

That "mighty feeling" might have been even mightier had the musical ideas been more original and/or inventive, and without the typical Pink Floyd cliche's imo.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 7, 2022 23:48

When is the tour?

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: April 8, 2022 00:09

daspyknows
When is the tour?

They're going to announce the tour when they headline Desert Trip 2.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 8, 2022 00:27

Hairball
Witness
Hairball
Witness
Hairball
At least the vocals add something new, but if you were to take them away, it's basically classic Floydian cliche's - nothing new at all.

Then you miss something important about music though. This is music laden with feelings. And those feelings are not empty.

Then you missed the point. Yes the music is laden with feelings, but it's the vocals that add something new.

New or not new music, the music adds to the vocals. The combination gives rise to the mighty feeling.

That "mighty feeling" might have been even mightier had the musical ideas been more original and/or inventive, and without the typical Pink Floyd cliche's imo.

We are talking about a disbanded Pink Floyd. Here two of their original members, and obviously one of them especially, even then are able to catch the moment in connection with the difficult situation that the song relates to.

With the underlying subjectmatter at hand not to be touched, I feel ashamed of my taking part in these distractive exchanges. I apologize towards all other readers.

I like to express that to me personnally this song was also my best experience of studio work attached to the name Pink Floyd since WISH YOU WERE HERE.

Much later added: In the embarrassment of the moment, I was not able to use a correct term and wrote "original member" about David Gilmour. In afterthought, maybe I could have said "genuine member".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-09 08:09 by Witness.

Date: April 8, 2022 00:34

I prefer the mightier and untainted acapella version from Andriy Khlyvnyuk - in the streets and on his own.
No backing music unnecessary for the important message to be felt.

Prayers for Andriy who is currently in the hospital with shrapnel wounds, and prayers for Ukraine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-08 00:35 by Hairball.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 8, 2022 01:00

Damn Gilmour can still rip on the guitar.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 8, 2022 03:41

RollingFreak

Love him so much. He and Keith are my 2 favorite guitarists. Couldn’t be more different.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: April 8, 2022 05:07

thanks for sharing. That is a surprise !
May it be seen as the end of a trilogy started with Marooned and Louder than words ?

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: April 8, 2022 05:16

I liked it a lot. New Pink Floyd music in 2022. Who would have thought?

Date: April 8, 2022 05:36

NashvilleBlues
RollingFreak

Love him so much. He and Keith are my 2 favorite guitarists. Couldn’t be more different.

I've always adored Gilmour but his playing ages like a fine wine. Every time I return to it I'm more blown away. That totally makes sense with he and Keith. In ways, they are so incredibly different, but in a lot of important ways they aren't. Both just have a tone thats so synonymous with them and play with FEELING that is irreplaceable. And with both its not a guitar fireworks show, its specific notes and careful playing thats not too difficult to pick up if you want. When I started playing guitar I wanted to play like Gilmour and Keith, and I and most people can pick that stuff up relatively easy. Its not that difficult, but I and most other people can never actually SOUND like them. Gilmour renews that here with something not that special but unmistakably him and still brought a big smile to my face.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 8, 2022 05:49

If you haven’t, check out Gilmour’s solo album On An Island. Some find it boring, but I love its mood. And his first solo album is a must-own classic, to me.

Date: April 8, 2022 06:38

On An Island was a nice album which also coincided with a great tour in which he began the show by playing the album in it's entirety.
I saw the show in L.A. at the Universal Ampitheater in 2006, and Crosby and Nash made an appearance to sing on the title track and another tune just as they did on the studio album, as well as Shine On You Crazy Diamond and their own Find the Cost of Freedom. Even more special was the inclusion of Rick Wright (who played the entire tour), and from the moment he hit the first note of Echoes on his keyboard, it all became a dream come true.
No doubt David's one of the greatest guitar players ever, and he's always been a favorite of mine - top 10 easily. That said, his songwriting on his own leaves quite a bit to be desired, but luckily for him he had Roger Waters to write most of the tunes when they were in Floyd together. After Roger left the band, David surrounded himself with a slew of various songwriters and producers to help him replicate the unique vibe and sound (including his wife who writes most of the lyrics), but it almost always fell short imo. Even his solo albums can be a bit uneven, especially his last one Rattle That Lock. Thankfully on this "new" tune, the music was basically pre-written and the great lyrics are a century old, so he didn't have to put very much effort in to that, and instead focus on his solo and replicating the classic Pink Floyd sound .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-08 06:41 by Hairball.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 8, 2022 09:21

I love the guitar work, absolutely brilliant. Music is good too. Without getting deep into the forbidden subject of politics I suggest people take an objective look at the "victims" as well as the "aggresors". There is a very old tactic called provocation. I'll say no more. Hope I didn't already cross the line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-08 09:24 by frankotero.

Re: Pink Floyd "Hey Rise Up" - New single 08/04/22
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 8, 2022 13:01

Hairball
Nice to see all proceeds going to Ukrainian Humanitarian Relief.

A bit odd though to label this as Pink Floyd without Rick Wright (RIP)...and without Roger Waters...

Pink Floyd were officially a duo 35 years ago when they recorded A Momentary Lapse of Reason. Rick Wright was just a salaried sideman on that album and tour. It was only when they reconvened seven years later for The Division Bell that he was reinstated as a fully fledged member.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 8, 2022 13:30

Wow , I am blown away hearing David Gilmour guitar and the vocals were powerful and even though I don't speak Ukrainian I can't deny how powerful this came across with the images projected and this to me is classic Floyd minus Roger Waters vocals and bass of course , but this spoke to me in a huge way . Which is quite rare these days as we having grown quite jaded with everything . If they tour I want to go and see and hear this .

Date: April 8, 2022 13:31

RollingFreak
Very powerful !

Date: April 8, 2022 13:35

RollingFreak
NashvilleBlues
RollingFreak

I've always adored Gilmour but his playing ages like a fine wine. Every time I return to it I'm more blown away. That totally makes sense with he and Keith. In ways, they are so incredibly different, but in a lot of important ways they aren't. Both just have a tone thats so synonymous with them and play with FEELING that is irreplaceable. And with both its not a guitar fireworks show, its specific notes and careful playing thats not too difficult to pick up if you want. When I started playing guitar I wanted to play like Gilmour and Keith, and I and most people can pick that stuff up relatively easy. Its not that difficult, but I and most other people can never actually SOUND like them. Gilmour renews that here with something not that special but unmistakably him and still brought a big smile to my face.
Exactly , it's like he is Yo Yo Ma , with such a instantly recognizable tone and vibrato that one can hear a country mile away . Also agree that one can copy and play the same notes on the fretboard of a guitar but it will never sound the same as we don't have Mr. Gilmour left hand .That's exactly what makes artist this special and known throughout the world with there sound and tone . Truly a Master !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 8, 2022 14:58

What do people think about when they read "Pink Floyd reunite" That's right, something very else

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 8, 2022 16:05

Nikkei
What do people think about when they read "Pink Floyd reunite" That's right, something very else

down to 1 original member

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 8, 2022 16:47

I have to admit, the foreign-language vocal (mixed unnecessarily loud, btw) throws me a bit, but it's not the first time a Floyd record has featured unconventional vocals. "Have a Cigar" features a guest lead vocalist (Roy Harper) who was not a member of the band, while the "voice" of Stephen Hawking features prominently on 1994's "Keep Talking." And isn't there a song on Meddle on which the lead "singer" is a literal .... dog?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-08 16:49 by tatters.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 8, 2022 17:12

They could have aped a proper reunion by having a helicopter stand in for Roger Waters though

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: April 8, 2022 18:18

Good cause. Extremely boring music, I think.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 8, 2022 19:51

I find that I really enjoy this new song! I admit I wasn't feeling the a cappella version of just the soldier singing, but his singing on the Floyd track is how I imagined the song to sound and it gave me chills. Great job!!

Date: April 8, 2022 20:26

I like that Gilmour is never doing anything he doesn't absolutely feel like he wants to do or is important to do. Do I like his Pink Floyd music without Roger Waters? Heeeeeeelllll no lol. But I respect the shit out of him. A great man.

OT: Pink Floyd stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 8, 2022 21:41

David Gilmour: Why I’m Bringing Back Pink Floyd After 28 Years

The courage of the people of Ukraine inspired Gilmour and drummer Nick Mason to release their first new song as Pink Floyd since 1994: “We want to spread this message of peace, and we want to raise the morale of the people who are defending their homeland”

By Kory Grow
April 8. 2022

Courtesy of Pink Floyd

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: April 8, 2022 21:43

Nikkei

A misuse, or an abuse of the name "Pink Floyd".
As crholmstrom mentioned "down to 1 original member" - that being Nick the drummer.
But again, it's for a good cause, though it might have been more tasteful to simply call it the Gilmour/Mason band.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: April 8, 2022 21:50

tatters
I have to admit, the foreign-language vocal (mixed unnecessarily loud, btw) throws me a bit, but it's not the first time a Floyd record has featured unconventional vocals. "Have a Cigar" features a guest lead vocalist (Roy Harper) who was not a member of the band, while the "voice" of Stephen Hawking features prominently on 1994's "Keep Talking." And isn't there a song on Meddle on which the lead "singer" is a literal .... dog?

Yes, and dogs and sheep partly sing on tracks on Animals. But the most wonderful guest singing is Clare Torry on The Great Gig InThe Sky.

Re: Pink Floyd "Hey Rise Up" - New single 08/04/22
Date: April 8, 2022 21:52

tatters
Hairball
Nice to see all proceeds going to Ukrainian Humanitarian Relief.

A bit odd though to label this as Pink Floyd without Rick Wright (RIP)...and without Roger Waters...

Pink Floyd were officially a duo 35 years ago when they recorded A Momentary Lapse of Reason. Rick Wright was just a salaried sideman on that album and tour. It was only when they reconvened seven years later for The Division Bell that he was reinstated as a fully fledged member.

The bottom line - Rick was involved, and for all intents and purposes he was a member of the band - fully fledged or not.
No matter though as both of those albums from the post-Roger era are terrible for the most part imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-08 21:53 by Hairball.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 9, 2022 14:58

daspyknows
When is the tour?

They're not touring and will never tour again so have nothing to fear by releasing a song that won't please "everyone", the same can't be said of our favorite band...

And that's from someone who saw "some" cynicism from Gilmour when he accepted to play Live 8 a year before relaunching his solo career and releasing TER under PF in 2014 before resuming his solo career ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: April 9, 2022 19:03

It would be cool if David makes a few appearances on Nick’s Saucerful Of Secrets tour.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1901
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home