Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 20
Re: OT: Pink Floyd stuff
Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: December 20, 2021 00:57

CBII
Twelve new concert performances between 1970 - 1972 have been released for streaming (and hopefully physical media)? Incredible!

If by “physical media” you mean vinyl, then yes it would be incredible.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 20, 2021 02:23

This is just a copyright extension job. Not even new and previously unreleased band-owned masters or superiour soundboards were used - these are just dubs of whatever bootleg they had at hand, many of them outdated because superior quality sources appeared since the bootleg releases in question.

A rushed job with just the copyright extension, but obviously not the fan in mind.

This was done in the same vein as ABKCO's 1969 Stones copyright dump, that for the most part just used bootleg sources for most concerts (and also not even the best ones at that!), but on the positive side had quite a few previously unheard outtakes and the MSG 1969 soundboards that were not circulating before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-20 02:24 by retired_dog.

Posted by: JivinSisterFanny ()
Date: December 20, 2021 08:11

I was excited about these (and a little concerned I might go overboard in buying them), but the sound quality just doesn't come through--maybe it is digital, but they are not nearly as good as the live material in The Early Years 1965–1972 releases from a few years ago.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: December 20, 2021 15:14

Of course the idea that a professional recording of pre 1973 TDSOTM performance could exist would have been a fantastic news but I doubt it is the case.

Date: December 20, 2021 15:17

I have one.

ds1984
Of course the idea that a professional recording of pre 1973 TDSOTM performance could exist would have been a fantastic news but I doubt it is the case.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: December 21, 2021 01:39

I forgot about th e Brighton Dome, 29-06-1972 excerpts.

Is that one?

georgemcdonnell314
I have one.

ds1984

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 21, 2021 01:43

Caught 'em in '72 ..... No flyin pigs in dem daze

ROCKMAN

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: January 11, 2022 18:56

Well, it looks like Lucius is not participating in the next Roger Waters tour as they have announced their own tour.

[ilovelucius.com]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 13, 2022 15:35

Piper at the Gates of Dawn - Mono-Mix Vinyl reissue (4-Mar-2022) - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] :

Large picture

A Saucerful of Secrets - Mono-Mix Vinyl reissue (29-Apr-2022) - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] :

Large picture

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-15 23:10 by Irix.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 13, 2022 16:00

daspyknows
Well, it looks like Lucius is not participating in the next Roger Waters tour as they have announced their own tour.

[ilovelucius.com]

That's too bad. I thought Lucius really added a lot to the last tour. Their version of Great Gig in the Sky was stunning. Kind of makes me wonder if Roger's tour is going to happen. As currently scheduled he'll turn 79 during the tour. If the tour does happen, I'm sure Roger will still have something memorable.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: January 13, 2022 18:13

crholmstrom
daspyknows

[ilovelucius.com]

That's too bad. I thought Lucius really added a lot to the last tour. Their version of Great Gig in the Sky was stunning. Kind of makes me wonder if Roger's tour is going to happen. As currently scheduled he'll turn 79 during the tour. If the tour does happen, I'm sure Roger will still have something memorable.

I agree. I am sure he wants to tour but the current reality makes it harder to plan it out. His tour isn't just 4 dudes going out and jamming for 2 hours.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: January 13, 2022 20:55

crholmstrom
daspyknows

[ilovelucius.com]

Yes I saw that too. It's a real shame as I completely agree that they brought something really special to the last tour. Visually they make an impact, but their backing vocals throughout were fantastic, and I agree that The Great Gig In The Sky was a major highlight with their duet centre stage.

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Pink Floyd "Hey Rise Up" - New single 08/04/22
Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: April 7, 2022 19:03

Pink Floyd are due to release a new track tomorrow in support of Ukrainian Humanitarian Relief. The song recording on the 30th March reunites David Gilmour and Nick Mason with touring bassist Guy Pratt. Nitin Sawhney performs keyboards. Boombox singer Andriy Khlyvnyuk sings lead vocals which were taken from an instagram post he made of him singing the Ukrainian folk song 'Oh, The Red Viburnum In The Meadow' in Kyiv's Sofiyskaya Square.

Re: Pink Floyd "Hey Rise Up" - New single 08/04/22
Date: April 7, 2022 19:10

Date: April 7, 2022 19:15

From [Variety.com] :

Pink Floyd to Release First Newly Conceived Single as a Band Since 1994, Borrowing Ukrainian Singer’s Lead Vocal

By Chris Willman · Apr 7, 2022 · 9:01am PT

Pink Floyd has announced that a newly recorded single under the band banner, “Hey Hey Rise Up,” will come out Friday, with lead vocals not by David Gilmour but rather a Ukrainian singer, whose a cappella vocals from an Instagram post shot in Kyiv’s Sofiyskaya Square have been set to music by the veteran band.

The music for the new song was recorded March 30 by longtime members Gilmour and Nick Mason, along with longtime bass player Guy Pratt and keyboardist Nitin Sawhney. (Roger Waters, who split from the group in the mid-1980s, did not participate.)

The vocalist grafted into the new Pink Floyd track is Andriy Khlyvnyuk of the Ukrainian band Boombox. The vocal is taken from an Instagram video he posted five weeks ago in which he sings a World War I-era Ukrainian protest song, “The Red Viburnum In The Meadow,” which has seen a revival as a cry against the Russian war upon Ukraine. The final line of the song translates as “Hey hey, rise up and rejoice.”

Khlyvnyuk is now in a hospital in Kyiv with a mortar shrapnel wound. “I played him a little bit of the song down the phone line and he gave me his blessing,” Gilmour said in a statement. “We both hope to do something together in person in the future.”

An announcement declared that “Hey Hey Rise Up” is “the first new original music that they have recorded together as a band since 1994’s ‘The Division Bell.'” The group is understood to have been basically retired as a going unit since the late ’90s, although a mostly instrumental album of adapted leftovers, “The Endless River,” came out in 2014 and was declared to be their official swan song.

Gilmour’s interest in bringing the band out of effective retirement for this is personal: he has a Ukrainian daughter-in-law and grandchildren. “We, like so many, have been feeling the fury and the frustration of this vile act of an independent, peaceful democratic country being invaded and having its people murdered by one of the world’s major powers,” the singer-guitarist said in a statement.

A music video is on the way as well, also shot on March 30, directed by Mat Whitecross while the players were still assembled for the recording session. “We recorded the track and video in our barn where we did all our Von Trapped Family live streams during lockdown,” Gilmour said. “It’s the same room that we did the ‘Barn Jams’ with Rick Wright [Pink Floyd’s now-deceased keyboard player] back in 2007. Janina Pedan made the set in a day and we had Andriy singing on the screen while we played, so the four of us had a vocalist, albeit not one who was physically present with us.”

Gilmour has known the band Boombox since 2015, when he did a benefit show at Koko in London or imprisoned members of a Belarus theater troupe along with Pussy Riot. While Boombox was supposed to do its own set that night, Khlyvnyuk was unable to attend due to a visa problem, and the other members ended up backing Gilmour on his own set, and they dedicated “Wish You Were Here” to the absent singer.

“Recently I read that Andriy had left his American tour with Boombox, had gone back to Ukraine, and joined up with the Territorial Defense,” Gilmour said. “Then I saw this incredible video on Instagram, where he stands in a square in Kyiv with this beautiful gold-domed church and sings in the silence of a city with no traffic or background noise because of the war. It was a powerful moment that made me want to put it to music.”

Gilmour said the purpose of the new Floyd single is to “raise funds for humanitarian charities, and raise morale. We want express our support for Ukraine and in that way, show that most of the world thinks that it is totally wrong for a superpower to invade the independent democratic country that Ukraine has become.”

Although Pink Floyd has not toured since the ’90s and it has been several years since Gilmour has been on the road as a solo artist, Mason is about to hit the road again with his group, Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets, that revives the late ’60s and early ’70s Floyd catalog - [Variety.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-07 19:20 by Irix.

Date: April 7, 2022 19:25

"Pink Floyd’s First New Recording in Nearly 30 Years Was Inspired by a Lone Ukrainian Musician" - [www.RollingStone.com]

"Pink Floyd to release first new music in decades to support Ukraine" - [www.NME.com]

"This is a crazy, unjust attack: Pink Floyd re-form to support Ukraine" - [www.TheGuardian.com]

"Pink Floyd to release first new music since 1994 in support of Ukraine" - [www.Independent.co.uk]

"Pink Floyd Releasing ‘Hey Hey Rise Up’ In Support of Ukrainian People" - [www.Billboard.com]

"Pink Floyd to Release New Song ‘Hey Hey Rise Up’ for Ukraine" - [UltimateClassicRock.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-07 22:30 by Irix.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 7, 2022 20:25

can't wait to hear it!

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 7, 2022 20:39

Nice! They're on my music Mount Rushmore.

Date: April 7, 2022 20:45

Official from Pink Floyd - [www.PinkFloyd.com] :

"Tonight at midnight, Pink Floyd will release a new song, 'Hey Hey Rise Up', which sees David Gilmour and Nick Mason joined by Guy Pratt & Nitin Sawhney, with an extraordinary vocal by Andriy Khlyvnyuk of Ukrainian band Boombox. Gilmour, who has a Ukrainian daughter-in-law & grandchildren: 'We, like so many, have been feeling the fury and the frustration of this vile act of an independent, peaceful democratic country being invaded and having its people murdered by one of the world's major powers'. All proceeds from the song will go to Ukrainian Humanitarian Relief" - [Twitter.com] , [Twitter.com] , [Twitter.com] .

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 7, 2022 21:05

Awesome. I see a #1 coming.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 7, 2022 21:26

Nice to see all proceeds going to Ukrainian Humanitarian Relief.

A bit odd though to label this as Pink Floyd without Rick Wright (RIP)...and without Roger Waters...

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 7, 2022 21:29

Awesome news

Date: April 7, 2022 21:34

Hairball

A bit odd though to label this as Pink Floyd without Rick Wright (RIP)...and without Roger Waters...

Some say that about The Stones...

Date: April 7, 2022 21:47

NashvilleBlues
Hairball

Yeah - I was going to point out the similarities.
But this seems even odder considering Pink Floyd have said repeatedly that they would never record again as a band.
After the Endless River album, Gilmour said: "I think we have successfully commandeered the best of what there is ... It's a shame, but this is the end."
But again, it's nice to see all proceeds going to a good cause, and to use the name Pink Floyd will bring even more attention to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-07 21:47 by Hairball.

Date: April 7, 2022 22:02

Hairball
NashvilleBlues
Hairball

Yeah - I was going to point out the similarities.
But this seems even odder considering Pink Floyd have said repeatedly that they would never record again as a band.
After the Endless River album, Gilmour said: "I think we have successfully commandeered the best of what there is ... It's a shame, but this is the end."
But again, it's nice to see all proceeds going to a good cause, and to use the name Pink Floyd will bring even more attention to it.

Great point. I remember Gilmour saying that. Akin to Keith's old quote about not seeing the band continue without Charlie. And there are some Syd/Brian similarities in each band's story. Easily 2 of my favorite bands, although very different musically.

Date: April 7, 2022 22:25

Official Video - Pink Floyd - Hey Hey Rise Up (feat. Andriy Khlyvnyuk of Boombox) :

[www.YouTube.com]

Date: April 7, 2022 22:47

At least the vocals add something new, but if you were to take them away, it's basically classic Floydian cliche's - nothing new at all.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 7, 2022 23:08

Hairball
At least the vocals add something new, but if you were to take them away, it's basically classic Floydian cliche's - nothing new at all.

Then you miss something important about music though. This is music laden with feelings. And those feelings are not empty.

Date: April 7, 2022 23:18

Witness
Hairball

Then you miss something important about music though. This is music laden with feelings. And those feelings are not empty.

Then you missed the point. Yes the music is laden with feelings, but it's the vocals that add something new.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 7, 2022 23:38

Hairball
Witness
Hairball

Then you missed the point. Yes the music is laden with feelings, but it's the vocals that add something new.

New or not new music, the music adds to the vocals. The combination gives rise to the mighty feeling.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1702
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home