Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 20
Re: OT: Pink Floyd stuff
Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: October 6, 2020 19:00

Hairball
ds1984
Hairball
ds1984
Hairball
Not sure how many Pink Floyd fans prefer the lame and confirmed to be re-released Delicate Sound of Thunder over an Animals Deluxe set, but my guess is probably zero.

Then you would be surprised.

Speaking for myself I would be delighted that Animals could see the light in 5.1 format but since it is not Andy Jackson doing the job I have serious doubt that it will be the case. Surprise can happen.

It's not just the 5.1 of Animals I was referring to, but an entire DELUXE BOX SET w/all the extras - including live material, demos, etc., etc.
If you actually prefer the Delicate Sound of Thunder over what could have been a massive Animals Deluxe set, then yes I am surprised.

This is not because *you* and *I* do prefer a massive Animals Deluxe set over the Delicate Sound of Thunder re release that *everybody* does.

Pink Floyd without Roger WATERS were popularly HUGE - this should not be underestimated.

Then let me put it this way; I have ZERO interest in Delicate Sound of Thunder, and everybody I personally know would much rather have an Animals Deluxe set.
Some of them might have a slight to medium interest in Delicate Sound of Thunder (because they saw that tour for example), but none of them prefer anything about it over Animals.
In a way, the difference would be similar to a Stones Deluxe release (of any one of their greatest landmark albums) vs. a live solo Mick Jagger album.
The choice to me would seem pretty obvious, but I guess the popularity of Mick without the Stones shouldn't be underestimated.

hmmm...not so sure about this one....

Gilmore-Only Pink Floyd is good/solid Pink Floyd and (widely) accepted as "Pink Floyd"....Jagger solo is not "good/solid Rolling Stones"...and, I don't know of anybody that accepts him solo as "the Rolling Stones"

....if that makes sense.

but, that's just me & my opinion, nothing more.

(I do think more people will buy Delicate Sound of Thunder...it's simply more "mainstream-popular" than Animals, as far as I can tell....doesn't make it "better" but that's just how I see it)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-06 19:04 by stickyfingers101.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 6, 2020 20:03

crholmstrom
Hairball
ds1984
Hairball
ds1984
Hairball
Not sure how many Pink Floyd fans prefer the lame and confirmed to be re-released Delicate Sound of Thunder over an Animals Deluxe set, but my guess is probably zero.

Speaking for myself I would be delighted that Animals could see the light in 5.1 format but since it is not Andy Jackson doing the job I have serious doubt that it will be the case. Surprise can happen.

It's not just the 5.1 of Animals I was referring to, but an entire DELUXE BOX SET w/all the extras - including live material, demos, etc., etc.
If you actually prefer the Delicate Sound of Thunder over what could have been a massive Animals Deluxe set, then yes I am surprised.

This is not because *you* and *I* do prefer a massive Animals Deluxe set over the Delicate Sound of Thunder re release that *everybody* does.

Pink Floyd without Roger WATERS were popularly HUGE - this should not be underestimated.

Then let me put it this way; I have ZERO interest in Delicate Sound of Thunder, and everybody I personally know would much rather have an Animals Deluxe set.
Some of them might have a slight to medium interest in Delicate Sound of Thunder (because they saw that tour for example), but none of them prefer anything about it over Animals.
In a way, the difference would be similar to a Stones Deluxe release (of any one of their greatest landmark albums) vs. a live solo Mick Jagger album.
The choice to me would seem pretty obvious, but I guess the popularity of Mick without the Stones shouldn't be underestimated.

I'm with you, Hairball. I saw that Floyd tour & wasn't too impressed by it. Couple of factors in that: I saw Roger's Radio KAOS show in a much smaller venue within a week of the Floyd show & it was infinitely better. + the Floyd show was the day after the annual notorious Seattle music biz xmas party & I (& everyone I was with) had a raging hangover, haha. While I think Gilmour is an awesome guitar player I though the show was pretty boring. They did manage to make the old Kingdome sound good though. I did get to meet Roger at his show & the rest of Floyd at their show which is pretty cool. Roger was tweaky at that point. Nick Mason was the coolest of all them. Very nice guy.

Cool story crholmstrom. thumbs up

I guess that once you've seen the band with all original members (of the post-Syd era) as you and I both did during The Wall tour '80/'81, anything after that where there's a key member missing is substantially weaker.
Just so happens the key missing member was the creative genius and mastermind who wrote most of their great songs and albums in the post-Syd era, which makes everything after that even less desirable and weaker.

As for Nick, seems he's always been the coolest/nicest, and his recent Saucerful of Secrets tour was an experience to behold. I'd genuinely recommend that new release a million times over any Delicate Sound of Thunder crud.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-06 20:04 by Hairball.

Date: October 6, 2020 20:11

If the Animals Deluxe includes California Stockyard this would be an excellent release.

Delicate Sound of Thunder reissue doesn't do much for me I don't think I have listened to it since right after it was released.

I agree with the other posts that the Roger Waters solo tours did have a better groove to them the the David Gilmour version of Floyd.

It's a shame they could never get it together and give us a tour with all the original members.

And Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets tour was one of the best of the bunch even though it did not have all the special effects of the others tours.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: October 6, 2020 20:44

Pink Floyd without Waters were huge because they called themselves Pink Floyd and Roger didn't. If it had been billed: 'Gilmour, Mason & Wright' it would have been a different story. Just as Townsend, Entwistle, and Daltrey (TED) couldn't even sell out one nighters under that very name when they initially announced several dates on 1996's 'Quadrophenia' tour. When they changed it back to 'The Who', they were instantly selling out multiple nights in every city. There's a lot of selling power in a brand name. Somehow, over the years, (probably thanks to the internet) Waters managed to elevate himself to consistently selling out arenas on his last few tours.

"The concert business is no different that any other...Chevrolet, General Motors, IBM...supply and demand - it's the same, same business" - Bill Graham (concert promoter)

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 7, 2020 03:03

a brand name will always have the power to sell because people want to imagine they are getting what they really want even if they are getting a watered down version of band who are well past their peak with few original members.

i would have loved to have went to a pink floyd concert without roger if that was all that was on offer, but given a choice i would most want to see pink floyd with syd barret, gilmour, waters, mason and wright.

as for the stones, its always been the stones for me regardless of jones departure and then taylors departure then bills, but if keith mick or charlie were to leave the stones would be finished, and i feel that way about ronnie to even though he wasnt there at the start.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: October 7, 2020 13:55

For me the "core" Rolling Stones are Mick and Keith as they are writting the material.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 10, 2021 22:55

Pink Floyd - Live at Knebworth 1990 - standalone release on Vinyl & CD, 30 April 2021 - [www.SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: March 11, 2021 01:20

ds1984
For me the "core" Rolling Stones are Mick and Keith as they are writting the material.

Whoa. Don’t forget, Mick is Charlie’s singer.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 11, 2021 02:35

stickyfingers101
Hairball
ds1984
Hairball
ds1984
Hairball

hmmm...not so sure about this one....

Gilmore-Only Pink Floyd is good/solid Pink Floyd and (widely) accepted as "Pink Floyd"....Jagger solo is not "good/solid Rolling Stones"...and, I don't know of anybody that accepts him solo as "the Rolling Stones"

....if that makes sense.

but, that's just me & my opinion, nothing more.

That's an excellent point of difference. The band ala Pink Floyd continued on without Waters.

Perhaps the frame or context of DELICATE SOUND OF THUNDER is what matters, and not "more so" than ANIMALS. It just... is.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 11, 2021 13:50

I always wondered why Animals never got the Deluxe treatment and now I know why and understand . I bet the Animals sessions were stacked high with material . I would love to get a listen to what got cut and tossed to the cutting room floor . Also I think a live CD/DVD of the Animals tour from 1977 would be amazing . Ditto for the video of the offical release of The Wall , from the other performing arts center in London after Pink Floyd was banned from Royal Albert Hall .

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: March 17, 2021 02:38

buttons67
thanks for the advice, i love pink floyd well, now, they are now my 2nd favourite band ever behind the stones obviously, the doors relegated to 3rd.

best songs are, in both studio and live format

interstellar overdrive
astronomy domine
shine on you crazy diamond
sheep
a saucerfull of secrets
let their be more light
wish you were here
see emily play
arnold layne
julia dream
echos
one of these days
another brick in the wall
green is the colour
flaming
bike
comfortably numb
money
run like hell
jugland blues
set the controls for the heart of the sun
atom heart mother
corporal clegg
time
apples and oranges
fat old sun

and a song about syds cat

loved the barret era and the interchage between the barret.gilmour era too, better than any other but also liked meddle, dark side of the moon, animals and wish you were here,

not yet right into the wall or the post waters era, but will give it a go,

also live astronomy domine live in belgium in 1968 is a killer as are the many versions of interstellar overdrive ive heard from rome in 1968, stockholm in 1967, filmore in 1970 are all superb. also been digging many 1970,s gigs, but not yet into the post 70,s era and the pulse era yet, but will get there soon.

sad about syd and the waters/gilmour fued, also the death of syd and richard wright, so no chance of a reunion but its great to discover a fantastic band more deeply a band i had skipped over for years as i thought they were nothing more than a stoner band, now i realize how much depth, imagination, invention and dimension they really had.

hope to catch roger, david and nick live one day, seperately ofcourse.

Just started getting into PF. Will use this as a guide. Thanks 67.

OT: Not just another brick in the wall
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 15, 2021 22:10

Roger Waters goes off on Mark Zuckerberg regarding his request to use the song "Another Brick In The Wall II". I'm not a fan of Pink Floyd or Waters, but I'll give the man props for speaking his mind regarding his art/work. This might be out there regarding verboten topics here. If so, BV, please disappear it. I'm not posting it up to offend anyone.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: Not just another brick in the wall
Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 15, 2021 22:52

Good for Roger.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 15, 2021 23:03

Roger roger ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: June 15, 2021 23:37

Great to see artists doing this.I recently closed my Facebook account as I loathe censorship and am becoming more and more intolerant to it.

Nate

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: June 15, 2021 23:40

Roger has always seemed a tad touchy.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: June 15, 2021 23:45

Nate
Great to see artists doing this.I recently closed my Facebook account as I loathe censorship and am becoming more and more intolerant to it.

Nate

Well done, Nate. Facebook and Twitter are becoming more and more censorious, not to mention being cesspools of negativity that waste people's time and create division and hatred in society.

They are the opposite of IORR, in other words. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Drew

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: June 16, 2021 10:40

Not now Roger
You got to compete with wily Zuckerberg
No need to worry about Assange
Got to bring the russian bear to his knees
Well, maybe not the russian bear maybe the swedes

Date: June 16, 2021 10:45

drewmaster
Nate

Nate

Well done, Nate. Facebook and Twitter are becoming more and more censorious, not to mention being cesspools of negativity that waste people's time and create division and hatred in society.

They are the opposite of IORR, in other words. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Drew

All private sites have rules, though winking smiley

When that is said, on Facebook you can't even post an album cover without expecting the hounds to be on your trail.

Date: June 16, 2021 10:55

Rockman
Roger roger ....

Federer. I really hope he strikes once more at Wimbledon. thumbs up

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 16, 2021 11:41

daspyknows
Good for Roger.

He's the patron saint of surly.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 16, 2021 13:12

daspyknows
Good for Roger.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Anybody who helps take the blinkers off the eyes of the public to what Facebook (etc) are doing has my full support.

It's not a case of The Emperor Has No Clothes, but more a case of The Emperor is Screwing You and You Are Letting Him.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: June 16, 2021 13:38

Roger solo; no. David Gilmour album solo; no. -Fersure Nick Mason solo; no.

Pink Floyd; yes!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 16, 2021 13:42

That's the Roger that I love and respect . Like he needs Facebook/Zuckerberg money

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: June 16, 2021 14:34

Remember a Roger Waters show a few years ago where "@#$%& MARK ZUCKERBERG, @#$%& FACEBOOK" was written on the big screen during the intermission.

Date: June 16, 2021 14:45

The Worst.
Remember a Roger Waters show a few years ago where "@#$%& MARK ZUCKERBERG, @#$%& FACEBOOK" was written on the big screen during the intermission.

I also think there was something like this on the inflatable pig he used at his concerts.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 16, 2021 15:19

On a similar note, I heard Floyd's "Set the Controls..." on Sirius yesterday and it sounds suspiciously like "Continental Drift".

If K. D. Lang got a writing credit for ASMB, then Rick Wright deserves one for CD.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 16, 2021 15:22

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: June 16, 2021 16:37

Roger Waters has my extended respect.

d.f

Date: June 16, 2021 17:16

I also extend my respect to Roger Waters.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1644
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home