Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 20
Re: OT: Pink Floyd stuff
Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: September 22, 2020 05:11

when Zappa was interviewed about this performance (later on), he had no recollection of being at the event. smoking smiley

Pink Floyd (feat. Frank Zappa) - "Festival Actuel", Amougies, Belgium. October 25,1969 ( Full Concert )

01 Astronomy Domine
02 Green Is The Colour
03 Careful With That Axe, Eugene
04 tuning up ( with Frank Zappa )
05 Interstellar Overdrive ( with Frank Zappa )
06 Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
07 A Saucerful Of Secrets

David Gilmour - guitar & vocals
Richard Wright - organ
Roger Waters - bass & vocals
Nick Mason - drums
with
Frank Zappa - guitar (4 & 5)

Date: September 22, 2020 05:42

The Many Faces Of Yes (2014 album)...doing Pink Floyd covers etc.

CD #3- Playin' Their Favourite Songs

1. Breathe
2. Money
3. Brain Damage
4. Comfortably Numb
5. The Great Gig In The Sky
6. Los Endos (Genesis)
7. In The Flesh
8. Us & Them
9. On The Run
10. Goodbye Blue Sky
11. Eclipse
12. More Than A Feeling (Boston)

discogs

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 25, 2020 15:06

Pink Floyd‘s Delicate Sound of Thunder live album and concert film were restored, remixed and re-edited for the 2019 mammoth Later Years box set, but from 20-Nov-2020 it will be made available separately, across all major physical formats:

[www.SuperDeluxeEdition.com]

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 25, 2020 16:22

Is there a Japan edition? smiling smiley

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: September 25, 2020 16:33

Looking forward to have a complete version to have from Delicate Sound. A missed opportunity when they released it 30 years ago

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 25, 2020 17:22

Great , looking forward to this new edition .

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 26, 2020 05:44

Thought Floyd without Waters wasn't worth the time, but I'd be interested in that second disc. Same way I was interested in the second disc of Pulse. Those 3 still play those old songs very well.

Date: September 26, 2020 07:56

RollingFreak
Thought Floyd without Waters wasn't worth the time, but I'd be interested in that second disc. Same way I was interested in the second disc of Pulse. Those 3 still play those old songs very well.

They're a better band with Roger, but to me David was the driving force (quality & quantity), more so than Waters. I read an article a few years ago w/a chart that broke down each song/album Gilmour vs. Waters, who wrote it, chart positions, #sold, & other stats...Wish I had saved the article. Outside of 'The Wall' & several other hits, it was mostly Gilmour that drove the bus.

for easy reference, but not the article I mentioned above:

UCR: Who Sang The Most Pink Floyd Songs

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 26, 2020 08:03

If Gilmour "drove the bus", Roger built the bus as he wrote 90% of the songs.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 26, 2020 08:12

KevinM
RollingFreak

They're a better band with Roger, but to me David was the driving force (quality & quantity), more so than Waters. I read an article a few years ago w/a chart that broke down each song/album Gilmour vs. Waters, who wrote it, chart positions, #sold, & other stats...Wish I had saved the article. Outside of 'The Wall' & several other hits, it was mostly Gilmour that drove the bus.

Gilmour sang more of the songs but it was Roger Waters who wrote the lyrics and a lot of the music. DSOTM and The Wall wouldn't be what they are without his lyrics.

Date: September 26, 2020 08:22

Gilmour has a great voice and plays stunning guitar, but songwriting isn't his specialty by any means. He's even admitted he was "lazy" in that department an left all of the heavy lifting to Roger.
After Roger left, Gilmour had to hire an army of outside songwriters and producers in an attempt to fill Rogers void - Gilmour even had his wife writing lyrics which she continued to do on his solo albums!
Ultimately those albums are weak in comparison to the great albums of the Roger era, and while there may be a couple of decent tunes on those albums, I wouldn't waste too much money on them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-26 08:24 by Hairball.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 26, 2020 08:25

KevinM
RollingFreak

Yeah, no, I see where you're coming from but its incredibly choosey and not altogether accurate. Sure Gilmour sings almost all of Dark Side Of The Moon, but Roger wrote the whole damn thing! Thats why it was a perfect relationship. For a long while, those 4 guys executed a great vision. That vision of course was originally Syd's, then Roger's, cause someone had to man that ship. And Roger needed them to do it, but they needed him to get it off the ground. Only towards the end did Roger end up singing a lot of his songs as well, but Money is as much his song as it is Gilmour's. They needed each other, and personally I need him there, even live, to make the songs feel legitimate since they are his. For a long while, I'd rather go see Roger play the songs he wrote even though he maybe didn't play them than I would David singing the songs and playing the guitar I'm familiar with. Later on, I softened and it was easier to appreciate Floyd without Roger for that reason. I don't lend it credibility, but its still 3/4ths of Floyd playing Dark Side Of The Moon or One Of These Days, etc. Its still gonna be pretty damn good, and its easier to just hear him singing it and forget Roger isn't on bass than it is to hear a Roger live album and have someone else sing Gilmour.

But back on track, to say Gilmour was more of the driving force in Floyd... I'd definitely question that. They did it together but if you had to credit a driving force I'd think its Roger easily. Thats why I never minded his advertising as The Creative Genius Behind Pink Floyd cause I think thats pretty damn true. But 100% you're right that a lot of those songs were legendary because of Dave. You needed both of them to make that band what it was. I'd never minimize Dave's contributions, but its also hard to overstate Roger's. IMO.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: September 26, 2020 12:50

Discussing the creative force of Pink Floyd.

Roger was an important one but his solo works mostly show how much he misses Dave and Rick.

Divided THEY fall.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: September 27, 2020 21:15

Maybe mentioned somewhere in this thread, but The just released Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets CD/DVD is fantastic - all pre-Dark Side early PF.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: September 27, 2020 22:19

DEmerson
Maybe mentioned somewhere in this thread, but The just released Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets CD/DVD is fantastic - all pre-Dark Side early PF.

I'm not sure if it's on the official release, but Nick reads a note to the crowd, sent to him by Gilmour just before the tour that said: "Dear Nick, Break a leg - preferably Rogers." grinning smiley

Date: September 27, 2020 23:36

DEmerson

Just received vinyl/dvd bundle that came with a very nice autographed poster limited to 2,600. Saw one of the shows at the Wiltern Theater in L.A., and it was fantastic!
And would have been cool to be at the show where Roger guested at the Beacon Theater in New York where they performed Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun with Roger front and center.
The Roundhouse show was supposed to be officially released last Spring, but was delayed due to the damn virus...here's an article from Rolling Stone mag from last January:

Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets Announce Concert Film ‘Live at the Roundhouse’

Live at the Roundhouse features drummer and all-star band performing over 20 of Pink Floyd’s pre-Dark Side gems

> Nick Mason/Roundhouse

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-27 23:38 by Hairball.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 4, 2020 11:27

The Nick Mason blu-ray is fantastic. "Highly" recommended! smoking smiley

Date: October 4, 2020 19:28

The new blu-ray is quite excellent. My only minor complaint is the guitarists and bass player are a little too cheery, which visually dilutes the 'heaviness' or 'trippyness' in some of the songs.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 4, 2020 20:48

i got right into early floyd last year, still dont dig the later stuff as much, and to me a pink floyd without roger isnt quite the same, the pre dark side of the moon era is classic floyd, so underrated, ive started collecting the records and cd,s, hope to get the early years, the later years eventually and all the live stuff, including the immersion editions of some of the middle era albums. its a pity they have released few live stuff, would be good to get a lot of the early stuff on dvd, instead of just youtube.

i know this is a long shot but what are the chances roger, david and nick would reform pink floyd,

Date: October 4, 2020 23:32

buttons67
i got right into early floyd last year, still dont dig the later stuff as much, and to me a pink floyd without roger isnt quite the same, the pre dark side of the moon era is classic floyd, so underrated, ive started collecting the records and cd,s, hope to get the early years, the later years eventually and all the live stuff, including the immersion editions of some of the middle era albums. its a pity they have released few live stuff, would be good to get a lot of the early stuff on dvd, instead of just youtube.

i know this is a long shot but what are the chances roger, david and nick would reform pink floyd,

Nearly null.

Date: October 5, 2020 00:27

ds1984
buttons67

Nearly null.

In terms of making an album or touring, yes, virtually nil. However, making an appearance at another members' gig is always on the table, as Waters did last year at Nick's show in NYC, or as both Gilmour and Mason did at Waters' The Wall show in London in May 2011.

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: October 5, 2020 09:39

James Guthrie mentions at 32 minutes in that he’s currently finishing up a 5.1 mix of “The Wall” and has already completed a new stereo and 5.1 mix of “Animals”.

[dcs-legends-the-other-side-of-the-glass.simplecast.com]

Date: October 5, 2020 19:09

Evidently The Animals 5.1 mix was to be part of a Deluxe set, but the release was ultimately vetoed by the grumpy David Gilmour for "petty reasons" according to a source.
Seems he and Waters dislike each other so much they can't even agree on that project, yet Gilmour is fine with releasing an overload of useless crap from the post-Roger era.
Not sure how many Pink Floyd fans prefer the lame and confirmed to be re-released Delicate Sound of Thunder over an Animals Deluxe set, but my guess is probably zero.

Date: October 5, 2020 20:05

Hairball
Not sure how many Pink Floyd fans prefer the lame and confirmed to be re-released Delicate Sound of Thunder over an Animals Deluxe set, but my guess is probably zero.

Then you would be surprised.

Speaking for myself I would be delighted that Animals could see the light in 5.1 format but since it is not Andy Jackson doing the job I have serious doubt that it will be the case. Surprise can happen.

Date: October 5, 2020 20:10

ds1984
Hairball

Speaking for myself I would be delighted that Animals could see the light in 5.1 format but since it is not Andy Jackson doing the job I have serious doubt that it will be the case. Surprise can happen.

It's not just the 5.1 of Animals I was referring to, but an entire DELUXE BOX SET w/all the extras - including live material, demos, etc., etc.
If you actually prefer the Delicate Sound of Thunder over what could have been a massive Animals Deluxe set, then yes I am surprised.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: October 5, 2020 20:30

didn't Waters try to apologize and bury the hatchet?

....and Gilmore was having none of it?

I could be wrong and often am.

My 2 Cents:

1) I think the band was clearly better when they were BOTH in it....however, Gilmore-only PF is quite good also...

2) I prefer new "Animals" stuff to new "DST" stuff....

Date: October 5, 2020 20:32

Hairball
ds1984
Hairball

It's not just the 5.1 of Animals I was referring to, but an entire DELUXE BOX SET w/all the extras - including live material, demos, etc., etc.
If you actually prefer the Delicate Sound of Thunder over what could have been a massive Animals Deluxe set, then yes I am surprised.

This is not because *you* and *I* do prefer a massive Animals Deluxe set over the Delicate Sound of Thunder re release that *everybody* does.

Pink Floyd without Roger WATERS were popularly HUGE - this should not be underestimated.

Date: October 5, 2020 23:40

ds1984
Hairball
ds1984
Hairball

This is not because *you* and *I* do prefer a massive Animals Deluxe set over the Delicate Sound of Thunder re release that *everybody* does.

Pink Floyd without Roger WATERS were popularly HUGE - this should not be underestimated.

Then let me put it this way; I have ZERO interest in Delicate Sound of Thunder, and everybody I personally know would much rather have an Animals Deluxe set.
Some of them might have a slight to medium interest in Delicate Sound of Thunder (because they saw that tour for example), but none of them prefer anything about it over Animals.
In a way, the difference would be similar to a Stones Deluxe release (of any one of their greatest landmark albums) vs. a live solo Mick Jagger album.
The choice to me would seem pretty obvious, but I guess the popularity of Mick without the Stones shouldn't be underestimated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-05 23:42 by Hairball.

Posted by: BOW2007 ()
Date: October 6, 2020 09:57

I have ZERO interest in an Animals Deluxe set, and everybody I personally know would much rather have Delicate Sound of Thunder.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 6, 2020 12:52

Hairball
ds1984
Hairball
ds1984
Hairball

Then let me put it this way; I have ZERO interest in Delicate Sound of Thunder, and everybody I personally know would much rather have an Animals Deluxe set.
Some of them might have a slight to medium interest in Delicate Sound of Thunder (because they saw that tour for example), but none of them prefer anything about it over Animals.
In a way, the difference would be similar to a Stones Deluxe release (of any one of their greatest landmark albums) vs. a live solo Mick Jagger album.
The choice to me would seem pretty obvious, but I guess the popularity of Mick without the Stones shouldn't be underestimated.

I'm with you, Hairball. I saw that Floyd tour & wasn't too impressed by it. Couple of factors in that: I saw Roger's Radio KAOS show in a much smaller venue within a week of the Floyd show & it was infinitely better. + the Floyd show was the day after the annual notorious Seattle music biz xmas party & I (& everyone I was with) had a raging hangover, haha. While I think Gilmour is an awesome guitar player I though the show was pretty boring. They did manage to make the old Kingdome sound good though. I did get to meet Roger at his show & the rest of Floyd at their show which is pretty cool. Roger was tweaky at that point. Nick Mason was the coolest of all them. Very nice guy.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1249
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home