Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 20
Re: OT: Pink Floyd stuff
Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 17, 2019 19:24

One of my greatest Pink Floyd moments for me was a warm great sunny summer day in 1973. I had been playing Dark Side of The Moon since it came out in the spring. It was the last summer I lived at home, before moving out a few months later. I carried my stereo out into the garden. Power cable, and my large home built SEAS speakers which could carry lots of watts back then. I turned my favorite tune "TIME" to max, the bass and the speakers vibrated but it was crystal clear, all through the solo. It was outdoors, we lived on a hilltop, no neighbours anywhere near, so there were no echo. Just listening to TIME that way was a goose bumbs event. I played it again and again.

Another Pink Floyd moment was a few years later. I was on a work travel to Vienna, Austria. During the evening I noticed posters saying Pink Floyed live that day at Praterstadion (now known as The Ernst-Happel-Stadion). It was the summer of 1988. I managed to get a ticket and enjoyed the show a lot. One memory was speakers all over the stadium. Another was the visual shows. And of course great guitar playing by David Gilmour.

Bjornulf

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 17, 2019 21:03

Hairball , I am in awe of you that you were a witness to this most awesome historical & important tour of epic proportions . I remember reading Rolling Stone article and announcement for the tour and feeling bummed that the tour was not bigger/longer . I got the Wall double album when it was released the first day back in December 1979 ( I hope I remember correctly ) and tormenting my poor mother by playing Another Brick in the Wall (pt2) and Mom hating the lyrics which I was blasting side 1 & 2 non stop and 3 & 4 not as much . What a masterpiece and still is to this day !

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 18, 2019 01:04

Thanks Greek - credit to my older brother for getting tickets and taking me to those shows. Same for my first two Stones shows at the L.A. Coliseum, 1981, along with countless other memorable concerts during my teen years(The Clash, Dylan, Jethro Tull, Johnny Winter, Bluesbreakers reunion with MT, The ARMS Benefit, just to name a few). Not sure I would have experienced half of all those shows without his diligence, expertise, and guidance, and the fact he was a massive rock and roll fanatic.
He even had a ticket for me to see Bob Marley at the Roxy, but being a young knucklhead I passed due to a high school party I had been looking forward to. Probably the only regret I've ever had as far as missing concerts goes, as that was the last time Bob Marley was playing in L.A.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-18 01:37 by Hairball.

Re: OT: Has David Gilmour retired from touring?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 18, 2019 02:20

keefriff99
yorkshirestone
keefriff99
GasLightStreet
keefriff99
jlowe
Yes ,Roger Waters has made 'stupid money'from his recent solo tours.
Somehow, I cannot imagine a Mick solo tour being so successful.
Any views?
Roger Waters' The Wall tour from 2010-2013 is the 6th highest grossing tour of all time.

If Mick could have gotten ANYWHERE close to that, he would have done it already. I think it's more than self-evident that Mick would have nowhere near that level of success.

By the way, I just found out that little hobbit Ed Sheeran has broken U2's all-time tour grossing record. What a sad day for rock'n'roll.

Did you see how many shows he had to do, though? 129 MORE SHOWS than U2.

Not exactly breaking the record. Barely broke the money amount, and the attendance is just shy of a million more because... of so many more shows.

When U2 broke the Stones BANG record it was shows 73 and 75 (something like that, 2 shows in the 70 range) for attendance and money. U2 did 110 shows. The Stones did 144 shows - so even more impressive that U2 did it before show 100... and blew it out of the water with only 10 more shows.
Oh I know. You can drill down into the stats and break it out by attendance, number of shows, ticket prices, etc., but he's at the top of the list at the end of the day and that's what most people will see.

I have nothing against the guy...don't know his music at all. It's impressive, but it just FEELS wrong for a massive stadium act like the Stones or U2 to NOT be at the top of the list.

Not a massive fan of Sheran, but worth pointing out his ticket prices are a fair bit cheaper than U2, etc. Recently filled Roundhay Park in Leeds twice, think about £75 a ticket GA (no seats, gold circle, etc). Also he's genuinely solo (just him)
That's my and GLS's point though. The total gross is what everyone will focus on (Ed Sheeran #1 tour gross of all time), but so many other factors go into it when you drill into the numbers.

The number of shows he did is counterbalanced by the lower ticket prices, and those prices are relatively lower because his fanbase is younger and doesn't have the disposable income of, say, U2 or boomer Stones fans.

I wondered what happened to that post... couldn't remember where it was talked about.

Sheeran, I'm going to guess, didn't have the elaborate massive staging that the Stones and U2 (no one else that I can think of with that size staging) had. So sure, lower ticket prices for people that don't have the money = a lot more shows to do to get the numbers.

No matter what, it extremely pales by comparison. In fact, it pales so much it's see-through.

U2's stage was innovative because it opened up a lot more seating than usual - and they sold them all. The Stones' numbers would be higher for the ABB tour if they'd sold out every show (or not played Chicago 298 times).

People with a sense of understanding big tours and the history of rock'n'roll shows (and the culture of which the Stones and U2 have created and perfected with the stadium shows/tours) will understand that Sheeran's record is simply Willis Tower.

Date: December 18, 2019 13:52

Hairball
Thanks Greek - credit to my older brother for getting tickets and taking me to those shows. Same for my first two Stones shows at the L.A. Coliseum, 1981, along with countless other memorable concerts during my teen years(The Clash, Dylan, Jethro Tull, Johnny Winter, Bluesbreakers reunion with MT, The ARMS Benefit, just to name a few). Not sure I would have experienced half of all those shows without his diligence, expertise, and guidance, and the fact he was a massive rock and roll fanatic.
He even had a ticket for me to see Bob Marley at the Roxy, but being a young knucklhead I passed due to a high school party I had been looking forward to. Probably the only regret I've ever had as far as missing concerts goes, as that was the last time Bob Marley was playing in L.A.
That's pretty wild ! I was a massive Johnny Winters fan , and 1981 was my first Stones shows as well (tour opener in Philly ( thanks Cousin ! ) , and Latter Carrier Dome towards the end of the US leg ) I did hear a live radio broadcast from the 1978 Tour from Rich Stadium so I got that which I loved Some Girls in 1978 . I bet we are pretty close in age ? Bob Marley would have been so cool , but I probably would have done the same thing you did as well and I have to think there was a girl involved with the party as well and I would have blown off Bob Marley as well . Shows / concerts were a whole other beast back in the old days , like me seeing the Ramones in 1981 at a club ( bloody awful the same 3 chords the whole show and awful vocals ) Edgar Winter at the same club and I lost count of how many times I seen Johnny Winter . A mega Highlight from the same club around the same time period of 81-82 was Muddy Waters !!!!!!!!! This club was awesome ( JB Scotts ) opening night ( 79 or 80 was one hell of drunk fest with Rick Derringer who played a killer show ! From time to time the men in blue would do a raid / drug sweep which was pretty wild and one hell of a spectacle to witness for us kids . The bathrooms were from Coke , they had bleachers to the left of the stage on the far wall which was for smoking , people smoke there cigs all over the place but the bleachers were for weed . The owners were massive coke heads , who eventually cashed out in early 83 by torching the place . Right next door there was a disco and there would be fights when people were lined up to get into the club for a show and they would mix it up with the Disco patrons . Best thing about it for me was it was relatively close to my home / walking distance as I did not have to drive , but I had to walk across the park late at night/early morning and the worst thing back then were the guys cruising / trolling for guys , which as kids back then we didn't even raise an eyelash . I got to met the guys from Steppenwolf when I strolled in to get my ticket and they were soundchecking and I am in the office and in strolls John Kay who seen me checking them out and he came over and asked me how they sounded and how did I like the soundcheck and all I could say was smile and you guys Rock ! He kind of intimidated me as he was larger than life coming over and talking to me . Life is so much more different and boring these days compared to wild free spirited days back then . One of the joys of growing up I guess ? Lastly I love your posts and stories , so keep em coming !

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 18, 2019 16:15

Hairball

we're roughly the same vintage. i had second row tickets for stevie wonder with bob marley opening (hotter than july tour) but that's when bob got sick & he had to cancel. we got gil scott-heron instead & it was a phenomenal show. that was the only chance i had to see marley unfortunately. i did see peter tosh numerous times including opening for the stones in 1978. it was a very strange bill. first tosh, then eddie money, then kansas, a huge thunderstorm, then the stones. i had conned my parents into letting me drive to boulder from seattle for the show. still not quite sure how i pulled that one off haha. bv mentioned seeing pink floyd in 1988 with the surround speakers. i saw that tour in the late, unlamented kingdome in seattle & they did similar there. it was the only show that i saw in the dome (including the who, the stones a bunch of times, led zeppelin, etc) that had great sound. i got to go to a post show party with the band & jethro tull were there too. weirdly enough, roger waters played the same week in a venue about a tenth of the size on the radio KAOS tour. roger had surround sound too & actually was a far better show. the cbs rep liked me & i got to meet roger then too. there were only a few admitted to the inner sanctum. this was when the lawsuits were flying with floyd & a notoriously idiotic dj asked roger if there was any chance of the band getting back together. roger immediately clammed up & the audience was over. this same dj interviewed lou reed on the radio & obviously knew maybe 2 songs by lou. was asking totally moronic questions & as the interview went on you could tell lou was getting totally pissed off & wanted to kill him, haha. i met lou at the show & got along with him to the point where he bummed a cig from me. i was like "here lou, take the pack!". smoking smiley

Date: December 18, 2019 19:29

crholmstrom
Hairball

we're roughly the same vintage. i had second row tickets for stevie wonder with bob marley opening (hotter than july tour) but that's when bob got sick & he had to cancel. we got gil scott-heron instead & it was a phenomenal show. that was the only chance i had to see marley unfortunately. i did see peter tosh numerous times including opening for the stones in 1978. it was a very strange bill. first tosh, then eddie money, then kansas, a huge thunderstorm, then the stones. i had conned my parents into letting me drive to boulder from seattle for the show. still not quite sure how i pulled that one off haha. bv mentioned seeing pink floyd in 1988 with the surround speakers. i saw that tour in the late, unlamented kingdome in seattle & they did similar there. it was the only show that i saw in the dome (including the who, the stones a bunch of times, led zeppelin, etc) that had great sound. i got to go to a post show party with the band & jethro tull were there too. weirdly enough, roger waters played the same week in a venue about a tenth of the size on the radio KAOS tour. roger had surround sound too & actually was a far better show. the cbs rep liked me & i got to meet roger then too. there were only a few admitted to the inner sanctum. this was when the lawsuits were flying with floyd & a notoriously idiotic dj asked roger if there was any chance of the band getting back together. roger immediately clammed up & the audience was over. this same dj interviewed lou reed on the radio & obviously knew maybe 2 songs by lou. was asking totally moronic questions & as the interview went on you could tell lou was getting totally pissed off & wanted to kill him, haha. i met lou at the show & got along with him to the point where he bummed a cig from me. i was like "here lou, take the pack!". smoking smiley
Very fascinating , When you mentioned the Kingdome in Seattle , that reminded me of Led Zeppelin tour stop in the Kingdome in 1977 and get this a friend of mine from class had an extra nosebleed ticket in the upper deck and invited me to go with him and all I had to do was get a plane ticket and I asked my parents and they told me if I could afford a airline ticket I could go and of course I didn't have the funds as a kid and missed it (darn it as that was the last time the Zeppelin flew in the United States ) I miss those mega multi band concerts from back then and how much fun we used to have versus nowadays which is all crap and hassles versus the care free days of long ago . I know I am waxing nostalgic as life is more fun in ways that we can afford more material goods and a higher quality of lifestyle than the old days , but the friendships and connections we formed so long ago are non existent in this day and age we live in and the quality of life is not the same .

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: December 18, 2019 20:04

Love that story of FLoyd on your hill, BV, so evocative

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: December 18, 2019 20:18

bv
One of my greatest Pink Floyd moments for me was a warm great sunny summer day in 1973. I had been playing Dark Side of The Moon since it came out in the spring. It was the last summer I lived at home, before moving out a few months later. I carried my stereo out into the garden. Power cable, and my large home built SEAS speakers which could carry lots of watts back then. I turned my favorite tune "TIME" to max, the bass and the speakers vibrated but it was crystal clear, all through the solo. It was outdoors, we lived on a hilltop, no neighbours anywhere near, so there were no echo. Just listening to TIME that way was a goose bumbs event. I played it again and again.

Another Pink Floyd moment was a few years later. I was on a work travel to Vienna, Austria. During the evening I noticed posters saying Pink Floyed live that day at Praterstadion (now known as The Ernst-Happel-Stadion). It was the summer of 1988. I managed to get a ticket and enjoyed the show a lot. One memory was speakers all over the stadium. Another was the visual shows. And of course great guitar playing by David Gilmour.

I saw them at Wembley on the same tour in August 1988. Only my 2nd ever show by anyone. As you say, the stage props and visuals were tremendous. There was a massive inflatable pig dangling over the pitch. The one on the album cover tied to one of the chimneys of Battersea Power Station was a sow and this one was exaggerated to ensure that it was definitely a pig and not a sow grinning smiley. Probably as a pop at Roger Waters (or to avoid legal action) who had left the band 5 years previously and unsuccessfully tried to take out a high court injunction to stop the rest of the band touring under the name Pink Floyd. Once that was settled in favour of the rest of the band, this was the hugely successful tour which followed. The tickets were cheap too - only about £20GBP for mine.

Date: December 18, 2019 20:28

Good stuff crholmstrom and TheGreek - yes seems we're all of the same or similar vintage! thumbs up
Born in '63, literally raised on the Beatles, and eventually the Stones and everyone else.

Speaking of Led Zeppelin, 1977....my brother had a spare ticket for one of the Forum shows with my name on it, but I was living away in Arizona at the time, and being just 14 no way could I get out of school and make it happen.
It was a long shot anyways, and I think he just told me about the spare ticket to either be nice or to bug the hell out of me. As a SoCal/surfer kid it was bad enough living in Arizona for a year, but to know all that I was missing made it even more miserable lol.

Anyhow, aside from all the greats shows my bro took me to, I was also attending shows on my own - lots of punk shows at clubs, etc. in the arly '80's. Then the Who Farewell tour at the Coliseum with the Clash '82. Willie Dixon in a small club. And same as you Greek, I saw Johnny more times than I can count, but that first time front center at the Santa Monica Civic is the most memorable. Lots of metal shows (Ozzy, Deep Purple, Metallica, Guns N Roses, etc.). And Stevie Ray Vaughan - I was blown away the first time I heard him on the radio, and couldn't wait to see him live eventually seeing him five times throughout the '80's. The US Festival '83 - some friends and I rented a winnebago and partied like hell for three days and nights in the dusty/blistering heat next to the festival site. And many, many, many other shows! Around that time, my brother became less of a rock and roll concert fanatic (he was dedicated full time to his university and Masters degree), though we did see several more Stones shows up until the Bridges Tour. Up through the mid-'80's though I was still running wild without a care in the world, but eventually followed in his footsteps going to college and earning my degrees. While it did interfere with my carefree concert going/partying lifestyle for a few years haha, the thrill of live shows never completely left me. I still love attending concerts, though I'm a bit more picky as the years march on. Waiting for the new Stones tour announcement! smiling smileythumbs up

Date: December 18, 2019 20:31

peoplewitheyes
Love that story of FLoyd on your hill, BV, so evocative

Yes that was a great story...I pictured myself on that hill floating away while listening to Time and Dark Side in it's entirety...such a great album.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 10, 2020 03:02

thanks for the advice, i love pink floyd well, now, they are now my 2nd favourite band ever behind the stones obviously, the doors relegated to 3rd.

best songs are, in both studio and live format

interstellar overdrive
astronomy domine
shine on you crazy diamond
sheep
a saucerfull of secrets
let their be more light
wish you were here
see emily play
arnold layne
julia dream
echos
one of these days
another brick in the wall
green is the colour
flaming
bike
comfortably numb
money
run like hell
jugland blues
set the controls for the heart of the sun
atom heart mother
corporal clegg
time
apples and oranges
fat old sun

and a song about syds cat

loved the barret era and the interchage between the barret.gilmour era too, better than any other but also liked meddle, dark side of the moon, animals and wish you were here,

not yet right into the wall or the post waters era, but will give it a go,

also live astronomy domine live in belgium in 1968 is a killer as are the many versions of interstellar overdrive ive heard from rome in 1968, stockholm in 1967, filmore in 1970 are all superb. also been digging many 1970,s gigs, but not yet into the post 70,s era and the pulse era yet, but will get there soon.

sad about syd and the waters/gilmour fued, also the death of syd and richard wright, so no chance of a reunion but its great to discover a fantastic band more deeply a band i had skipped over for years as i thought they were nothing more than a stoner band, now i realize how much depth, imagination, invention and dimension they really had.

hope to catch roger, david and nick live one day, seperately ofcourse.

Date: June 10, 2020 03:11

The Final Cut is an excellent record, too but it's pretty much a Roger Waters solo record for the most part. Sounds better today than when it came out.

Date: June 10, 2020 13:00

I really love the song "Fearless" from "Meddle". If I listen to it, it's stuck in my head for days which isn't a bad thing.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 12, 2020 06:35

buttons67
thanks for the advice, i love pink floyd well, now, they are now my 2nd favourite band ever behind the stones obviously, the doors relegated to 3rd.

interstellar overdrive
astronomy domine
sheep
a saucerfull of secrets
let their be more light
wish you were here
see emily play
arnold layne
julia dream
echos
one of these days
green is the colour
flaming
bike
comfortably numb
money
run like hell
jugland blues
atom heart mother
corporal clegg
time
apples and oranges
fat old sun

loved the barret era and the interchage between the barret.gilmour era too, better than any other but also liked meddle, dark side of the moon, animals and wish you were here,

also live astronomy domine live in belgium in 1968 is a killer as are the many versions of interstellar overdrive ive heard from rome in 1968, stockholm in 1967, filmore in 1970 are all superb. also been digging many 1970,s gigs, but not yet into the post 70,s era and the pulse era yet, but will get there soon.

sad about syd and the waters/gilmour fued, also the death of syd and richard wright, so no chance of a reunion but its great to discover a fantastic band more deeply a band i had skipped over for years as i thought they were nothing more than a stoner band, now i realize how much depth, imagination, invention and dimension they really had.

Where is Vegetable man? An all time classic.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 12, 2020 14:27

daspyknows
buttons67

interstellar overdrive
astronomy domine
sheep
a saucerfull of secrets
let their be more light
wish you were here
see emily play
arnold layne
julia dream
echos
one of these days
green is the colour
flaming
bike
comfortably numb
money
run like hell
jugland blues
atom heart mother
corporal clegg
time
apples and oranges
fat old sun

Where is Vegetable man? An all time classic.

And Cymbaline? However, to fully appreciate this song you were relegated to unofficial recordings until the recent release of their massive Early Years box set.

And Careful With That Axe, Eugene - if that's not an all time classic, I don't know what is. Oh, and One Of These Days...

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: June 12, 2020 20:02

And Cymbaline? However, to fully appreciate this song you were relegated to unofficial recordings until the recent release of their massive Early Years box set.

LOVE Cymbaline! Great song.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: June 14, 2020 22:11

Animals is my all-time favorite LP by Pink Floyd, but DSOTM is right there. Really love the live stuff from 70-72, and in particular, the later Saucerful of Secrets and Atom Heart Mother (no horns). The 77 tour stuff is magic to me. The Wall istoo much of a downer for me to like it, but its a great work. Also love Obscured by Clouds LP.

Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets was/is Magical MAGICAL stuff!!!!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: June 15, 2020 03:20

I think there are a couple of classic songs missing here.

Point Me At the Sky is one but more important is Childhoods End. David at his best when he was still writing for the band.

I do not listen to most of the newer stuff very often.

California Stockyard is a very powerful bootleg to crank from time to time.

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: June 15, 2020 08:29

Never got to see the classic lineup, but saw the post-Waters Floyd on Feb. 20, 1988, in Melbourne, then Waters almost exactly 30 years later (Feb. 13, 2018) at the same venue (Rod Laver Arena).

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: June 15, 2020 10:23

Obscured By Clouds: (2 very underrated tracks)

Free Four
Wots Uh, The Deal

Underrated: Animals, Meddle, Obscured By Clouds, Live At Pompei

Overrated: The Wall (great, but not DSOTM great) & everything after it.

Not Now John (from Final Cut), cool tune.

Fun Fact: the last line of 'Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave & Grooving With A Pict' is..."And the wind cried Mary."

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: September 20, 2020 03:30

A very good read about Pink Floyd and more

Bassist Guy Pratt on Touring With Pink Floyd and the Time He Nearly Joined the Smiths

rollingstone.com/guy-pratt-bassist-interview

I wonder what happened ...

"Midway through that tour, a lot of the band left without explanation, including Jon Carin and Phil Manzanera. What happened?

Uh … I’d rather not go into that. I don’t want to say the wrong thing. You might have to wait for the book for that, but for a while there I wasn’t in the band either."

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 20, 2020 07:17

bv

I was at the very same show. And I didn't even have to get a ticket. A friend of mine was in the local stage crew and smuggled me in through the backdoor several hours before the crowd was let in the stadium (the trick also worked with Zappa in the Stadthalle a few months later, hehe). The stage was already set up and noone seemed to give a damn about this guy who obviously didn't quite belong there. So I sat there in the sun on the lawn of this huge and totally empty stadium and watched the roadies shoot footballs at the gear on the stage, and whenever they hit something, be it the drum set or some other part of the equipment, they cheered and hollered. I just figured that each thing they hit might have easily paid my rent for a year or more and reckoned they must have a pretty good insurance …

Initially I didn't even want to go there, thinking like the Floyd are just selling out and trying to make a quick buck but then I really enjoyed the show, which was truly great. Most memorably mishap was the plane on a string that crashed right into the stage. Another thing I remember was that noticeably, Mason and Wright were backed up by an additional drummer and keyboarder, resp. The backup drummer was particularly striking because his drum kit was situated on a riser right behing Mason's (much smaller) kit and the two of them were totally in sync in their movements. I kept wondering whose drumming it was that actually came through the speakers, Mason's or the backup drummer's …

And there is even a Stones connection. Two years later I saw the Stones in the same Stadium (Urban Jungle tour), and whenever I watched Charlie drumming I couldn't but think of Mason and his backup, thrilled by the fact that Charlie was actually drumming himself …

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: September 20, 2020 07:33

I thought it was pretty slack of Floyd to employ extra musicians under the pretext that they needed them to play the new material live, yet they were still there on the old stuff as well. I remember an article in Rolling Stone mentioning that Gilmour, Mason and Wright were outnumbered 2 to 1 by hired guns and questioned whether this was really a 'band'. Sure, they had Snowy White (guitar) and backup singers in the 70's, but this was kind of pushing it. I enjoyed the show nonetheless. They opened with 'Echoes' in Montreal in '87 (where I attended), but dropped it soon thereafter.

I was impressed with Nick's drumming last year with his Saucerful of Secrets band, even though he didn't attempt the more ferocious rolls like he did in the 60's/70's - at least it was just him drumming.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 20, 2020 07:50

mosthigh
I thought it was pretty slack of Floyd to employ extra musicians under the pretext that they needed them to play the new material live, yet they were still there on the old stuff as well. I remember an article in Rolling Stone mentioning that Gilmour, Mason and Wright were outnumbered 2 to 1 by hired guns and questioned whether this was really a 'band'.

Luckily neither of the three attempted to sing The Great Gig In The Sky and they left that to the background singers. I seem to remember that Sam Brown was one of the singers and Candy Dulfer played sax. But yeah, Gilmour was the one figure that really stuck out, Wright and Mason rather disappeared somewhere among the other musicians and musically one possibly wouldn't have noticed if they had been absent altogether. The Stones in 1990 weren't exactly alone on the stage either but their presence was a fully different level.

Date: September 20, 2020 08:36

georgemcdonnell314
I think there are a couple of classic songs missing here.

Point Me At the Sky is one but more important is Childhoods End. David at his best when he was still writing for the band.

I do not listen to most of the newer stuff very often.

California Stockyard is a very powerful bootleg to crank from time to time.

came across this today...

Pink Floyd - Biding My Time rehearsal

apparently Point Me At The Sky is aka Biding My Time.

~ :35-:43 seconds mark, sounds like Sam the Sham & the Pharaohs - Little Red Riding Hood...or is it just me?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-20 08:37 by KevinM.

Date: September 20, 2020 21:45

KevinM

Point Me at the Sky and Biding My Time are 2 totally different songs.......

The former was a last shot at a hit single in 1968, while the other ended up being released in 1971 on Relics

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-20 21:45 by stonesstein.

Date: September 20, 2020 22:13

stonesstein
KevinM

The former was a last shot at a hit single in 1968, while the other ended up being released in 1971 on Relics

Thanks for the correction. I saw numerous YT comments saying otherwise & went with it...it was too late @ night to start comparing.

Date: September 20, 2020 22:35

KevinM
stonesstein
KevinM

Thanks for the correction. I saw numerous YT comments saying otherwise & went with it...it was too late @ night to start comparing.

I've done the same thing, so don't feel alone.

Just glad to see that others appreciate early Floyd after Syd Barrett ........ Keep on keeping on .....

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Date: September 22, 2020 05:06

Pink Floyd & The Who - live New Year's Eve, Paris '68

+ The Small Faces, The Troggs, Joe Cocker, Fleetwood Mac

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1786
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home