Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 20
Re: OT: Has David Gilmour retired from touring?
Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: September 2, 2019 23:54

keefriff99
GasLightStreet
keefriff99
jlowe
Yes ,Roger Waters has made 'stupid money'from his recent solo tours.
Somehow, I cannot imagine a Mick solo tour being so successful.
Any views?
Roger Waters' The Wall tour from 2010-2013 is the 6th highest grossing tour of all time.

If Mick could have gotten ANYWHERE close to that, he would have done it already. I think it's more than self-evident that Mick would have nowhere near that level of success.

By the way, I just found out that little hobbit Ed Sheeran has broken U2's all-time tour grossing record. What a sad day for rock'n'roll.

Did you see how many shows he had to do, though? 129 MORE SHOWS than U2.

Not exactly breaking the record. Barely broke the money amount, and the attendance is just shy of a million more because... of so many more shows.

When U2 broke the Stones BANG record it was shows 73 and 75 (something like that, 2 shows in the 70 range) for attendance and money. U2 did 110 shows. The Stones did 144 shows - so even more impressive that U2 did it before show 100... and blew it out of the water with only 10 more shows.
Oh I know. You can drill down into the stats and break it out by attendance, number of shows, ticket prices, etc., but he's at the top of the list at the end of the day and that's what most people will see.

I have nothing against the guy...don't know his music at all. It's impressive, but it just FEELS wrong for a massive stadium act like the Stones or U2 to NOT be at the top of the list.

Not a massive fan of Sheran, but worth pointing out his ticket prices are a fair bit cheaper than U2, etc. Recently filled Roundhay Park in Leeds twice, think about £75 a ticket GA (no seats, gold circle, etc). Also he's genuinely solo (just him)

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 3, 2019 00:50

yorkshirestone
keefriff99
GasLightStreet
keefriff99
jlowe
Yes ,Roger Waters has made 'stupid money'from his recent solo tours.
Somehow, I cannot imagine a Mick solo tour being so successful.
Any views?
Roger Waters' The Wall tour from 2010-2013 is the 6th highest grossing tour of all time.

If Mick could have gotten ANYWHERE close to that, he would have done it already. I think it's more than self-evident that Mick would have nowhere near that level of success.

By the way, I just found out that little hobbit Ed Sheeran has broken U2's all-time tour grossing record. What a sad day for rock'n'roll.

Did you see how many shows he had to do, though? 129 MORE SHOWS than U2.

Not exactly breaking the record. Barely broke the money amount, and the attendance is just shy of a million more because... of so many more shows.

When U2 broke the Stones BANG record it was shows 73 and 75 (something like that, 2 shows in the 70 range) for attendance and money. U2 did 110 shows. The Stones did 144 shows - so even more impressive that U2 did it before show 100... and blew it out of the water with only 10 more shows.
Oh I know. You can drill down into the stats and break it out by attendance, number of shows, ticket prices, etc., but he's at the top of the list at the end of the day and that's what most people will see.

I have nothing against the guy...don't know his music at all. It's impressive, but it just FEELS wrong for a massive stadium act like the Stones or U2 to NOT be at the top of the list.

Not a massive fan of Sheran, but worth pointing out his ticket prices are a fair bit cheaper than U2, etc. Recently filled Roundhay Park in Leeds twice, think about £75 a ticket GA (no seats, gold circle, etc). Also he's genuinely solo (just him)
That's my and GLS's point though. The total gross is what everyone will focus on (Ed Sheeran #1 tour gross of all time), but so many other factors go into it when you drill into the numbers.

The number of shows he did is counterbalanced by the lower ticket prices, and those prices are relatively lower because his fanbase is younger and doesn't have the disposable income of, say, U2 or boomer Stones fans.

semi OT. pink floyd.
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 14, 2019 07:36

any fans here, ive heard some pink floyd stuff, but was wondering if i should expand and go deeper into their catalogue and which songs would be recommended.

i heard interstellar overdrive for the first time last week, thought it was awesome and weird.

and also which live stuff should i go for.

cheers.

Re: semi OT. pink floyd.
Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: December 14, 2019 10:27

If you’ve got a turntable would defo try some of the 2016 vinyl releases which are great sounding. I can’t recommend individual songs as their albums should be heard as a whole, they weren’t really a “Greatest Hits” band. The 70’s albums from “Atom Heart Mother” through to “Animals” are very good although “The Wall” drags on a bit towards the end. I would also recommend David Gilmour’s 1978 solo album. Not sure about the live stuff and which to recommend.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 14, 2019 10:52

I like Pink Floyd a lot (when Roger Waters was in) a lot. The music on the post-Waters material is still good but the song writing is weak (IMHO).

1. Animals
2. Dark Side of the Moon
3. Wish You Were Here
4. Meddle

That's as fine a 4 record run as anyone & the Wall isn't far behind. The stuff that came out prior to that is really good too but not quite as consistently excellent. Also, The Final Cut is an extremely underrated record. Sounds better now than when it came out. It's almost more a Roger Waters solo record though. Speaking of Mr. Waters, Amused to Death is a killer record. Jeff Beck does most of the lead guitar, so no drop off there! Finally, you can't go wrong with any of the live stuff, Floyd or Waters solo.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 14, 2019 11:00

crholmstrom

... Speaking of Mr. Waters, Amused to Death is a killer record. Jeff Beck does most of the lead guitar, so no drop off there! Finally, you can't go wrong with any of the live stuff, Floyd or Waters solo.

I like "The Pros & Cons of Hitch Hiking" ...some nice EC guitar on that one .

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 14, 2019 12:00

buttons67

I think the Pulse Live-Album would be a good start.

Recorded in 1994 and released in 1995 - it sounds due to the Q-Sound really good. There's now a restored & re-edited version on BluRay in the new Later Years Box-set which should sound even better. The Pulse Live-Album is also available on 4LP-Vinyl as well as on DVD. Maybe they'll (should) release the restored & re-edited version separately for the 25th Anniversary ....

Re: OT: Pink Floyd stuff
Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 14, 2019 12:20

Pink Floyd is a great band. Try digging out the earlier Syd Barrett stuff, like the single "Arnold Layne". Then the two late 60's albums Syd Barrett worked with. Then of course their post Syd Barrett mega album Dark Side Of The Moon, and those who followed. I remember playing all these loud a lot, in-between Sticky Fingers, Exile, and Bowie stuff like Ziggy Stardust. Late 60's and early 70's brought so much great music out in UK. Marc Boan and T Rex. Queen. Bowie. Genesis. Supertramp. 10CC. John Lennon imagine, Mind Games ... And so on and on and on...

Bjornulf

Date: December 14, 2019 12:57

bv
Pink Floyd is a great band. Try digging out the earlier Syd Barrett stuff, like the single "Arnold Layne". Then the two late 60's albums Syd Barrett worked with. Then of course their post Syd Barrett mega album Dark Side Of The Moon, and those who followed. I remember playing all these loud a lot, in-between Sticky Fingers, Exile, and Bowie stuff like Ziggy Stardust. Late 60's and early 70's brought so much great music out in UK. Marc Boan and T Rex. Queen. Bowie. Genesis. Supertramp. 10CC. John Lennon imagine, Mind Games ... And so on and on and on...

I've been listening to some old Supertramp lately. Some of it has held up real well, especially the "Crime of the Century" material. Also, I stumbled over the show below on youtube. Bowie at the Montreaux Jazz Festival in 2002. Absolutely stellar, band & performance. The second encore is a performance of the entire "Low" album. They should release this show commercially!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 14, 2019 19:47

Pink Floyd was a great band up until Roger Waters left. After that, a couple of decent tunes maybe, but they became diluted by bringing in multiple outside songwriters and studio musicians.
David Gilmour's distinct vocals and signature guitar were still front and center, but without Waters' songwriting expertise it all seems contrived and bloated - or what Roger called a "clever forgery". Avoid this entire era if possible.

What some consider their "big four" (Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall) of the Roger era are indeed all classic and fantastic, I'd add Meddle as an equally great album.
And then the original Syd-era...mind expanding greatness...Piper at the Gates of Dawn is one of the greatest psychedelic albums ever recorded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-14 19:51 by Hairball.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: December 15, 2019 00:51

tatters
Hairball

It's known that Roger presented both the initial concepts that he wrote for both The Wall and the Final Cut to the band, and they voted unanimously for The Wall.

The story I'm familiar with is that he presented the band with The Wall and The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking. Not a particularly difficult choice for the band to make. Pros and Cons is arguably one of the worst albums ever recorded, and with so many words, and so little actual music, Gilmour would have been left with very little room in which to improve it. I actually like The Final Cut. In some ways, I think it succeeds where The Wall fails. It's too bad Waters has never performed it in its entirety, but I guess he knows The Wall is always going to sell more tickets.

I think the rest of the band chose The Wall because they thought Pros&Cons was too personal and too much Roger. But I might remembe that incorrectly.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: December 15, 2019 01:04

Happy24
RollingFreak
Oh I absolutely don't take any of that away from Roger. He 100% deserves to do it, and I have zero problem and never did with the moniker "the BRAINS behind Pink Floyd" which is how he was advertised in 2006 in the States. He wrote it all, and I had zero problem with him performing Dark Side in full when I saw him even though he sings very little of it.

I think where I got peeved is somehow perceiving Gilmour isn't as good, solo material or not. Both their solo material isn't so great, and they both do the shows they do. I don't begrudge either, but I think knocking one is strange. Gilmour is as much Floyd as Roger is. All 4 of them are. That was the whole point of Pink Floyd. When you hear that guitar, its as much Pink Floyd as it is seeing Roger sing all the songs he wrote.

Well, IF he actually sings them. It is a well known fact that he is lip-syncing during his shows. I personally find that absolutaly unforgivable, yet I have seen him six times and pretty much always enjoyed it. But after the last two Us and Them shows I have been studying the videos I made on two back to back nights and while before I thought he used the playback on just a couple of songs, now I think most of the show was lip-synced (if not all of it).

0:40 [www.youtube.com]
5:00, 5:45 [www.youtube.com]

As for Dave - I actually quite like his last album and I really loved those songs live. Seeing him was a dream come true and it was pure magic - the guitar, the voice...and those songs. And it was live :-)

I also think it is absolutely obvious that on the Live 8 concert from 2005 Roger sounds waaay "less perfect" than he has sounded on all of his later tours. Probably because on Live 8 he actually sang live.

This is a pure speculation, but could this actually be the reason (or one of the reasons) why Dave and Roger won't tour togehter? I can't honestly imagine Dave touring with lip-syncing Roger.

I didn't expect Roger to use lip-syncing during other songs at The Wall but I was expecting him to do that during In The Flesh, the opening song because the original live shows back in 1980-81 had a different band with masks playing that song on stage. They used other musicians to show that people really didn't know how they looked like and nobody recognized them so nobody really cared who were on stage. Possibly that's why he was using lip-syncing during the first song of The Wall concerts 2010-13 just to remind that what you see just might not be true. OR... he just used lip-syncing because he can't sing certain parts anymore. Anywho, The Wall is more of a theatre act rather than a rock concert so that really didn't bother me at all...

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 15, 2019 01:20

Punk Floyd.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 15, 2019 01:41

If I were you: I'd start with the obvious: Dark Side and Wish You Were Here. From there, I'd move to Animals and Meddle. If you like that, Atom Heart Mother and Obscured By Clouds are pretty great. For live stuff, I'd go with the live element of the Dark Side box from recently, and Wish You Were Here recently. Thats like a whole concert from 1975 that is pretty phenomenal.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 15, 2019 01:51

There are a whole lot of great concert recordings that get more listening from me. Fillmore West 70, Tokyo 72, Bristol 74, Empire Pool 74 LA Sports Arena 75 and Oakland 1977 Boston 77, Madison Square Garden 77 are some of my favorites.

Date: December 15, 2019 02:09

daspyknows
There are a whole lot of great concert recordings that get more listening from me. Fillmore West 70, Tokyo 72, Bristol 74, Empire Pool 74 LA Sports Arena 75 and Oakland 1977 Boston 77, Madison Square Garden 77 are some of my favorites.

Oakland 1977 is absolutely stupendous.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 15, 2019 02:14

bv

You forgot Roxy Music in your list ;o)

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 15, 2019 02:23

Anyone checked out the Later Years remixes?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-15 02:23 by doitywoik.

Date: December 15, 2019 02:47

buttons67
any fans here, ive heard some pink floyd stuff, but was wondering if i should expand and go deeper into their catalogue and which songs would be recommended.

i heard interstellar overdrive for the first time last week, thought it was awesome and weird.

cheers.

check this site out. there are plenty of other ones (including ones with lossless) but this one has a wide variety.

[pinkfloyd-pinkmoon.blogspot.com]

Date: December 15, 2019 03:57

For a fantastic live document of an incredible album from an amazing tour:

Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall Live 1980–81

The studio album itself is phenomenal musically, lyrically, and conceptually, but to hear it all live is quite an experience.
I attended two shows at the L.A. Sports arena, 1980, and they will always rank up there with the very best concerts I've ever witnessed.

Date: December 15, 2019 04:57

I saw one of the Nassau shows. Top 10 lifetime concert.

Date: December 15, 2019 12:21

Hairball

The studio album itself is phenomenal musically, lyrically, and conceptually, but to hear it all live is quite an experience.
I attended two shows at the L.A. Sports arena, 1980, and they will always rank up there with the very best concerts I've ever witnessed.

I was at 1 of the Sports Arena shows. Unfortunately partied a little too hearty & the last thing i remember is Gilmour playing the solo on Comfortably Numb on top of the wall. I saw Roger's solo version toward the end of the tour & was blown away by it. At the end, Roger started talking about playing Seattle in the 60s & got very emotional. I think at that point he was going to retire. Thank goodness he didn't! The Us & Them tour was incredible. Can't wait to see the film.

Date: December 15, 2019 18:38

crholmstrom
Hairball

I was at 1 of the Sports Arena shows. Unfortunately partied a little too hearty & the last thing i remember is Gilmour playing the solo on Comfortably Numb on top of the wall. I saw Roger's solo version toward the end of the tour & was blown away by it. At the end, Roger started talking about playing Seattle in the 60s & got very emotional. I think at that point he was going to retire. Thank goodness he didn't! The Us & Them tour was incredible. Can't wait to see the film.

Word is one final tour. 2020 goal is to see a bunch of Roger Waters and Rolling Stones shows.

Date: December 15, 2019 19:20

daspyknows
I saw one of the Nassau shows. Top 10 lifetime concert.

thumbs up smiling smiley

crholmstrom

The first show I was pleasantly/mildly buzzed after smoking some fine buds, but the second show we went full Floyd and ate some shrooms...the quadrophonic sound is still echoing in my brain almost 40 years later.eye popping smileygrinning smiley
Roger's solo version of The Wall was also great (saw several in arenas and stadiums)- especially the state of the art effects and imagery, etc., but the original Floyd version can't be surpassed - especially considering it was actually Pink Floyd.
And back in 1980/81, it was also state of the art....beyond state of the art really, like something out of the future that set the bar quite high for all other concerts with the massive inflatable puppets, animation, etc.
The more recent Us and Them tour was also fantastic, though the actual stage setup and overall spectacle at Desert Trip was a bit better with the straight on view of the massive screen and the rising of Battersea station.
The film was OK, but didn't really do the live experience justice at all. The crowd was oddly muffled in between songs, the overall sound was a bit too clean, and Comfortably Numb was completely omitted. Nice souvenir, but....

daspyknows
Word is one final tour. 2020 goal is to see a bunch of Roger Waters and Rolling Stones shows.

Evidently pre-production has been under way for the last month or so with a tentative tour title of THIS IS NOT A DRILL which means it's probably going to be quite different from the Us and Them tour.
Looking forward to 2020 and seeing a few Stones shows, a few Roger Waters shows, and maybe the Who in Vegas for a show or two. And hopefully some more Neil Young shows.
And to think those four bands all played at the same festival...twice (along with Dylan and McCartney). Won't see anything like that any time soon...probably never.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 17, 2019 13:36

Hairball

Good taste ! this is a fantastic release , my only gripe is this should have included a DVD of the performance as well , and they could charge whatever they wanted ! What a missed opportunity ! This show was from the run at Earls Court after Rick Wright was fired for whatever reason ( probably pissing of Roger ) but was allowed to perform on this run of shows in 1980 I believe and I also believe this was after the run of shows in the US at Nassau Coliseum and LA Sports Arena or was it the Forum ?

Date: December 17, 2019 14:00

TheGreek
Hairball

Good taste ! this is a fantastic release , my only gripe is this should have included a DVD of the performance as well , and they could charge whatever they wanted ! What a missed opportunity ! This show was from the run at Earls Court after Rick Wright was fired for whatever reason ( probably pissing of Roger ) but was allowed to perform on this run of shows in 1980 I believe and I also believe this was after the run of shows in the US at Nassau Coliseum and LA Sports Arena or was it the Forum ?

it was at the LA Sports Arena

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 17, 2019 15:00

NICOS
bv

My list above is not complete. Since this is a thread about Pink Floyd, I did not want to spam it with a long list of other acts. I have for sure Roxy Music and Brian Ferry albums in my collection, bought at the time they came out, and I have seen them live, ages ago. I have more than 2,000 vinyl albums and just half of them are Stones. I also have all Beatles from Revolver and up. Back to the Pink Floyd topic!

Bjornulf

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 17, 2019 16:52

BV, I just have to say extend your Beatles collection to include Rubber Soul. Many say it's their finest. Back to the Floyd there's no questioning their legacy, fantastic players and serious music. Even the Division Bell is good in my opinion. Thankfully I got to see them on this tour.

Date: December 17, 2019 18:47

TheGreek
Hairball

There is some footage and it can be found on youtube, but it's not of the best quality.
As for official footage, there's lots of different stories of the quality, etc., but in 2009 Roger said (via wiki) that he :

'discovered a whole load of new footage of The Wall shows' and was busy 'editing it'.
In Rolling Stone magazine, Waters expresses that the footage would "undoubtedly" be released to the public.

Never happened, but maybe some day it will hopefully.

As for Rick Wright, yes he was fired and then became a hired hand for the tour, and because of this he ended up making more money than the other members who suffered a financial loss
due to the expense of putting on this type of show in such a limited run ( 31 shows in only four cities). All of this info. and more can be found on wiki: The Wall Tour 1980/81

From the New York Times, 1980 : "The Wall show remains a milestone in rock history though and there's no point in denying it.
Never again will one be able to accept the technical clumsiness, distorted sound and meagre visuals of most arena rock concerts as inevitable."
It concluded, "The Wall show will be the touchstone against which all future rock spectacles must be measured.'"

Definitely set the bar pretty high back then, and the effects are still felt 40 years later.

I still have the original program. About 10 years ago I looked through it for the first time since 1980/81. Burn marks and stains, I must have used it as an ashtray/rolling tray back in the day. lol

Below you can see where I scribbled the dates of the shows I attended, along with a pot leaf...or maybe it's a palm tree.winking smiley

There's quite a few other pages with more info., details, lyrics, and loads of imagery from artist Gerald Scarfe.

When my brother passed away, found his copy in brand new/pristine condition in a plastic sleeve - evidently he took better care of things than I did.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 17, 2019 18:50

NICOS
bv

Also a great period for both Rod Stewart and Elton John

"No Anchovies, Please"

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1354
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home