Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 20
Re: OT: Has David Gilmour retired from touring?
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 27, 2019 17:40

Oh I absolutely don't take any of that away from Roger. He 100% deserves to do it, and I have zero problem and never did with the moniker "the BRAINS behind Pink Floyd" which is how he was advertised in 2006 in the States. He wrote it all, and I had zero problem with him performing Dark Side in full when I saw him even though he sings very little of it.

I think where I got peeved is somehow perceiving Gilmour isn't as good, solo material or not. Both their solo material isn't so great, and they both do the shows they do. I don't begrudge either, but I think knocking one is strange. Gilmour is as much Floyd as Roger is. All 4 of them are. That was the whole point of Pink Floyd. When you hear that guitar, its as much Pink Floyd as it is seeing Roger sing all the songs he wrote.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 27, 2019 18:23

I find both of them sort of petty. I enjoyed Rogers The Wall show, but he billed himself as "the creative genius"

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 27, 2019 22:46

RollingFreak
Oh I absolutely don't take any of that away from Roger. He 100% deserves to do it, and I have zero problem and never did with the moniker "the BRAINS behind Pink Floyd" which is how he was advertised in 2006 in the States. He wrote it all, and I had zero problem with him performing Dark Side in full when I saw him even though he sings very little of it.

I think where I got peeved is somehow perceiving Gilmour isn't as good, solo material or not. Both their solo material isn't so great, and they both do the shows they do. I don't begrudge either, but I think knocking one is strange. Gilmour is as much Floyd as Roger is. All 4 of them are. That was the whole point of Pink Floyd. When you hear that guitar, its as much Pink Floyd as it is seeing Roger sing all the songs he wrote.

Well, IF he actually sings them. It is a well known fact that he is lip-syncing during his shows. I personally find that absolutaly unforgivable, yet I have seen him six times and pretty much always enjoyed it. But after the last two Us and Them shows I have been studying the videos I made on two back to back nights and while before I thought he used the playback on just a couple of songs, now I think most of the show was lip-synced (if not all of it).

0:40 [www.youtube.com]
5:00, 5:45 [www.youtube.com]

As for Dave - I actually quite like his last album and I really loved those songs live. Seeing him was a dream come true and it was pure magic - the guitar, the voice...and those songs. And it was live :-)

I also think it is absolutely obvious that on the Live 8 concert from 2005 Roger sounds waaay "less perfect" than he has sounded on all of his later tours. Probably because on Live 8 he actually sang live.

This is a pure speculation, but could this actually be the reason (or one of the reasons) why Dave and Roger won't tour togehter? I can't honestly imagine Dave touring with lip-syncing Roger.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-27 22:58 by Happy24.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 27, 2019 23:21

I don't think Roger lip syncs the entire show, just the more difficult songs. I was really taken aback at The Wall show watching him blatantly lip sync. It wasn't as noticeable on the Us and Them tour, but I'm sure there was still plenty of it. I cut him some slack just because the shows themselves were so wonderful, but it still doesn't sit entirely right with me.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 27, 2019 23:34

Yes, I am not really sure about the amount of the lip syncing. As I wrote, I did some filming on two back to back Us and Them shows from very close to the stage. I have Wish You Were Here from both nights for instance (not really a difficult song, is it?). You can't actually see anythign suspicious. You can hear his breath, slight fading of the voice towards the end of the lines...all the signs that would suggest a live performance. The problem is, they they are EXACTLY the same on both nights. So...what shall I think after seeing those obvious examples I posted above? Anyway, you are right, the shows were wonderful spectacles, I enjoyed them, but it is a big time cheating nevertheless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-27 23:36 by Happy24.

Date: August 28, 2019 00:45

Its bad and it hurts. I have no defense for it. The shows are wonderful and yeah, I'd rather hear him play Have A Cigar and lip sync it than not play it at all. But it is annoying and sad just as a live music person and seeing him get "caught" while singing The Gunners Dream like 15 years ago is always a punch in the stomach. I know he's lip syncing but its still always makes my heart sink. Can't even really explain why.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: August 28, 2019 12:49

Gilmour`s solo stuff is always a poor man`s Pink Floyd. I see little reason for it. Why buy it? The same with Robert Plant, -ouch... -Have no knowledge of Roger Waters, but I guess we get an idea when listening to Pink Floyd`s The Final Cut.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 28, 2019 15:07

I remember watching the Gilmour TV documentary that came out around the same time as his last solo album,I think.

At around the same time Keith's film (Under The Influence) was also shown.
What a contrast! Gilmour's was sincere but soporific whilst Keith's showed his utter pleasure and infectious enthusiasm for music, particularly roots and being able to make a living out of it.

Still, let's hope both of them can continue to put out new music.

Date: August 28, 2019 22:31

Having seen about every version of a PF tour or members tour since 1994 it is a shame that they can get on with it for one big final tour.

Gilmour is the guitar, voice and some lyrics.
Waters is the visual show genius, voice and thundering bass.
Nick after seeing him on the Saucerful of Secrets mini tour blew me away with his still very tight drumming. Not to mention the drought of early PF material that we all have been missing live for too many years.

Just do it guys.

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 28, 2019 23:28

noughties
Gilmour`s solo stuff is always a poor man`s Pink Floyd. I see little reason for it. Why buy it? The same with Robert Plant, -ouch... -Have no knowledge of Roger Waters, but I guess we get an idea when listening to Pink Floyd`s The Final Cut.
Same as most bands, solo stuff is bad quality.
The best and original is when the band plays together - and as always the first 10-15 years of music.

Date: August 28, 2019 23:38

noughties

Roger Waters solo material is a far cry from The Final Cut. The Final Cut is an excellent album. Precisely because it has some very key Gilmour moments that elevates it. Don't get me wrong, its a Roger solo album all the way, but he never really made an album even close to that after Floyd, and I'm not just saying Final Cut is good because it has the Floyd name.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 29, 2019 01:16

Roger's Amused To Death featuring Jeff Beck on guitar is fantastic, and I prefer it as a whole to The Final Cut which is also fantastic but also a bit eccentric both lyrically and musically.
And at the time of release it was somewhat of a letdown after The Wall.

It's known that Roger presented both the initial concepts that he wrote for both The Wall and the Final Cut to the band, and they voted unanimously for The Wall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-29 01:18 by Hairball.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 29, 2019 12:50

Hairball

It's known that Roger presented both the initial concepts that he wrote for both The Wall and the Final Cut to the band, and they voted unanimously for The Wall.

The story I'm familiar with is that he presented the band with The Wall and The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking. Not a particularly difficult choice for the band to make. Pros and Cons is arguably one of the worst albums ever recorded, and with so many words, and so little actual music, Gilmour would have been left with very little room in which to improve it. I actually like The Final Cut. In some ways, I think it succeeds where The Wall fails. It's too bad Waters has never performed it in its entirety, but I guess he knows The Wall is always going to sell more tickets.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-29 12:56 by tatters.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: August 29, 2019 14:02

tatters
Hairball

The story I'm familiar with is that he presented the band with The Wall and The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking. Not a particularly difficult choice for the band to make. Pros and Cons is arguably one of the worst albums ever recorded, and with so many words, and so little actual music, Gilmour would have been left with very little room in which to improve it. I actually like The Final Cut. In some ways, I think it succeeds where The Wall fails. It's too bad Waters has never performed it in its entirety, but I guess he knows The Wall is always going to sell more tickets.

Yeah Pros & Cons was the alternative offering. Bits n pieces of the Final Cut had been in Waters head for years but the catalyst for it going in to production was the Falklands conflict. In an interview he gave the main reason for The Final Cut was part of therapy he was undergoing at the time and some kind of cathartic project for allowing him to 'let go of his father'. I love The Final Cut but it's deffo not music to cheer good spirit or get up and boogie to!

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 29, 2019 14:21

I play Pros & Cons from time to time...

...but only because it has in places some tasty guitar playing from EC

Date: August 29, 2019 21:16

ROLLINGSTONE
tatters
Hairball

Yeah Pros & Cons was the alternative offering. Bits n pieces of the Final Cut had been in Waters head for years but the catalyst for it going in to production was the Falklands conflict. In an interview he gave the main reason for The Final Cut was part of therapy he was undergoing at the time and some kind of cathartic project for allowing him to 'let go of his father'. I love The Final Cut but it's deffo not music to cheer good spirit or get up and boogie to!

Yes, Pros and Cons...my mistake.
Some of the Final Cut tracks were originally intended for The Wall movie, but then he rewrote it focusing on the Falklands war.

Date: August 29, 2019 21:22

Spud
I play Pros & Cons from time to time...

...but only because it has in places some tasty guitar playing from EC

I enjoyed it alot at the time of release, and still enjoy listening to it from time to time.
This is one of the better tunes from it imo:

Roger Waters - 4:41AM (Sexual Revolution)

Could it have been better if given the Floyd treatment w/Gilmour and the rest?
Maybe, maybe not, but Clapton does play some tasty licks on it.

Posted by: Walapino ()
Date: August 29, 2019 22:17

Hairball
Roger's Amused To Death featuring Jeff Beck on guitar is fantastic, and I prefer it as a whole to The Final Cut which is also fantastic but also a bit eccentric both lyrically and musically.
And at the time of release it was somewhat of a letdown after The Wall.

He presented The Wall and the Pros and Cons to the band, they picked the Wall so he released Pros and Cons as solo material winking smiley

Pink Floyd: The Later Years 1987-2019
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 30, 2019 01:00

Slightly Off-Topic:

Pink Floyd: The Later Years 1987-2019

Box set concentrates on post-Roger Waters era · 18-Disc set including 5 CDs, 6 BluRays, 5 DVDs and more · over 13 hours of unreleased Audio/Video · out: 29-Nov-2019 -- [www.SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

Date: August 30, 2019 15:49

keefriff99
RollingFreak
rlj1010
I didn't think either album was particularly great, but I preferred Gilmour's Rattle That Lock to Waters' Is This The Life We Really Want.

Both albums suck. They, unfortunately, are not very good separately and never have been. I listen to a Gilmour album and think THERE is that guitar tone I've been missing all these years. But the lyrics are pure shit. Roger can still write a damn good tune, but can't write a melody to save his life. The one good song that I remember from his last album was basically a rip off of something else he'd written, forget what it was. Its unfortunate. They are pointless on their own.

Touringwise, Roger gets lucky with the Floyd stuff. He does it amazingly, and always has a great show, but to say its NOT used as a crutch is a bit of a stretch. I love him to death, his Dark Side of the Moon tour and The Wall show are some of my favorites ever. And if Gilmour refuses to tour with him Roger has all the right to do it and do it well. But hey, its not really original and its just living off your glory years. Its great, but as a massive fan I still know its 100% a gimmick. Gilmour I at least respect cause his new stuff's shit, but he's not going out there just playing stuff from 40/50 years ago. He's giving you new stuff he believes in whether you like it or not, which I really do find admirable, if not a bit disappointing.
I've been lucky enough to see the Dark Side (2007), Wall (2012) and Us and Them (2017) tours...they were all phenomenal, but they are 100% Roger living on his Pink Floyd glory years...and he totally has a right to. He wrote the bulk of the damn material and works with amazing visual artists to bring the stage shows to life.

Yeah, he's sprinkled some new songs in there the way the Stones play Doom and Gloom or Don't Stop. The fact is that very few artists in their 60s and 70s have the artistic will and stubbornness to force new material on their audiences, and even fewer are capable of creating vital new material that their fans actually want to hear.

Let's face it: to even GET to the point where you've created two hours worth of "golden oldies" that thousands of fans want to hear (even if the material is 40-50 years old) is a tremendous achievement in itself that very few artists accomplish. Might as well celebrate it.

That's fair comment. Only a select few of the 'classic acts' can get away with doing new material for the bulk of a show I'd say Neil Young, Van Morrison and mibbe Springsteen to name a few. Think Dylan makes up his setlist half an hour before the gig!smiling smiley

Re: Pink Floyd: The Later Years 1987-2019
Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: August 30, 2019 18:17

Also on Floyd note, if you haven't seen - Roger Waters has a movie of the Us and Them Tour, showing I believe Oct. 2 and 6th. I saw the show a couple times, and it was perhaps even more amazing than the Wall tour, IMO. Not quite sure how a film is going to come close to the spectacle of the mid-arena screens that came down during the stunning Animals segment, (not to mention the incredible live sound of the show) but I'll be going.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: August 31, 2019 21:35

Amazing numbers he's pulling, given the crass lip-synching and his anti-Israel rants.

I'm done with Floyd, but wish I'd seen Nick Mason's recent tour, hopefully he keeps touring!

Date: September 1, 2019 10:35

ROLLINGSTONE
keefriff99
RollingFreak
rlj1010
I didn't think either album was particularly great, but I preferred Gilmour's Rattle That Lock to Waters' Is This The Life We Really Want.

Both albums suck. They, unfortunately, are not very good separately and never have been. I listen to a Gilmour album and think THERE is that guitar tone I've been missing all these years. But the lyrics are pure shit. Roger can still write a damn good tune, but can't write a melody to save his life. The one good song that I remember from his last album was basically a rip off of something else he'd written, forget what it was. Its unfortunate. They are pointless on

Touringwise, Roger gets lucky with the Floyd stuff. He does it amazingly, and always has a great show, but to say its NOT used as a crutch is a bit of a stretch. I love him to death, his Dark Side of the Moon tour and The Wall show are some of my favorites ever. And if Gilmour refuses to tour with him Roger has all the right to do it and do it well. But hey, its not really original and its just living off your glory years. Its great, but as a massive fan I still know its 100% a gimmick. Gilmour I at least respect cause his new stuff's shit, but he's not going out there just playing stuff from 40/50 years ago. He's giving you new stuff he believes in whether you like it or not, which I really do find admirable, if not a bit disappointing.
I've been lucky enough to see the Dark Side (2007), Wall (2012) and Us and Them (2017) tours...they were all phenomenal, but they are 100% Roger living on his Pink Floyd glory years...and he totally has a right to. He wrote the bulk of the damn material and works with amazing visual artists to bring the stage shows to life.

Yeah, he's sprinkled some new songs in there the way the Stones play Doom and Gloom or Don't Stop. The fact is that very few artists in their 60s and 70s have the artistic will and stubbornness to force new material on their audiences, and even fewer are capable of creating vital new material that their fans actually want to hear.

Let's face it: to even GET to the point where you've created two hours worth of "golden oldies" that thousands of fans want to hear (even if the material is 40-50 years old) is a tremendous achievement in itself that very few artists accomplish. Might as well celebrate it.

That's fair comment. Only a select few of the 'classic acts' can get away with doing new material for the bulk of a show I'd say Neil Young, Van Morrison and mibbe Springsteen to name a few. Think Dylan makes up his setlist half an hour before the gig!smiling smiley

Add Paul Simon. Music from six decades.
Robert Plant
Rod Stewart
Eric Clapton
Elton John

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 1, 2019 14:37

TornAndFried
Gilmore recently auctioned off a large number of his guitars for charity (including his famous black Fender Stratocaster used on every album and tour since DSOM). No doubt he has copies of some of these guitars but it seems to be a sign he is heading for retirement.

Yes, my first thought as well.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 2, 2019 01:39

keefriff99
jlowe
Yes ,Roger Waters has made 'stupid money'from his recent solo tours.
Somehow, I cannot imagine a Mick solo tour being so successful.
Any views?
Roger Waters' The Wall tour from 2010-2013 is the 6th highest grossing tour of all time.

If Mick could have gotten ANYWHERE close to that, he would have done it already. I think it's more than self-evident that Mick would have nowhere near that level of success.

By the way, I just found out that little hobbit Ed Sheeran has broken U2's all-time tour grossing record. What a sad day for rock'n'roll.

Did you see how many shows he had to do, though? 129 MORE SHOWS than U2.

Not exactly breaking the record. Barely broke the money amount, and the attendance is just shy of a million more because... of so many more shows.

When U2 broke the Stones BANG record it was shows 73 and 75 (something like that, 2 shows in the 70 range) for attendance and money. U2 did 110 shows. The Stones did 144 shows - so even more impressive that U2 did it before show 100... and blew it out of the water with only 10 more shows.

Date: September 2, 2019 14:27

Surely with inflation, money records will always get broken.
I would have thought it is attendance figures that matter the most.

Date: September 2, 2019 15:58

jlowe
Surely with inflation, money records will always get broken.
I would have thought it is attendance figures that matter the most.

Good point. With high ticket prices (gotta include The Stones in this) an act could play to half empty venues and still generate a fortune.
I prefer 'the bums on seats' barometer. smiling smiley

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: September 2, 2019 17:09

maybe the question has already been proposed: "How David Gilmour would tour after having sold lot of (all?) his legendary guitars?"

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: September 2, 2019 19:36

djgab
maybe the question has already been proposed: "How David Gilmour would tour after having sold lot of (all?) his legendary guitars?"

I'm sure he still has quite a few guitars left and he had exact copies made of his most famous guitars such as the early 70's black Fender Stratocaster.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 2, 2019 23:22

GasLightStreet
keefriff99
jlowe
Yes ,Roger Waters has made 'stupid money'from his recent solo tours.
Somehow, I cannot imagine a Mick solo tour being so successful.
Any views?
Roger Waters' The Wall tour from 2010-2013 is the 6th highest grossing tour of all time.

If Mick could have gotten ANYWHERE close to that, he would have done it already. I think it's more than self-evident that Mick would have nowhere near that level of success.

By the way, I just found out that little hobbit Ed Sheeran has broken U2's all-time tour grossing record. What a sad day for rock'n'roll.

Did you see how many shows he had to do, though? 129 MORE SHOWS than U2.

Not exactly breaking the record. Barely broke the money amount, and the attendance is just shy of a million more because... of so many more shows.

When U2 broke the Stones BANG record it was shows 73 and 75 (something like that, 2 shows in the 70 range) for attendance and money. U2 did 110 shows. The Stones did 144 shows - so even more impressive that U2 did it before show 100... and blew it out of the water with only 10 more shows.
Oh I know. You can drill down into the stats and break it out by attendance, number of shows, ticket prices, etc., but he's at the top of the list at the end of the day and that's what most people will see.

I have nothing against the guy...don't know his music at all. It's impressive, but it just FEELS wrong for a massive stadium act like the Stones or U2 to NOT be at the top of the list.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1431
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home