Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 20
OT: Pink Floyd stuff
Date: August 25, 2019 00:08

Has David Gilmour retired from touring?

Just wondering, since his last shows took place in 2016 (had the chance to go to his last European gig, in Tiengen). I remember an interview of Rick Wright with a Spanish magazine in 1994, in which he declared something like: "A time will come when people will no longer want to see Mick Jagger jumping around, whereas our shows are based on music and lights, so we will be able to keep it going for a long time". Nick Mason wrote that the end of The Division Bell Tour just felt like the end of any other tour, but it just turned out to be their last one. I do find it a pity that we got so little of Pink Floyd during the 1990's - and equally grateful we got so much of the Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-14 12:10 by bv.

Re: OT: Has David Gilmour retired from touring?
Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 25, 2019 00:16

Last year on his Facebook page, he said he wasn't. But don't hold your breath waiting for any large scale tour announcement.

Break out your Gdansk DVD to watch him and Rick Wright bounce lines back and forth on Echoes. Who knew space rock could be so much fun?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 25, 2019 00:27

Seems he'll only tour if he has a new LP.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 25, 2019 00:33

He tours every now and then. Mostly when he has a new album, which isn't often. I wouldn't be shocked if he never plays again. Sad, but understandable. If you didn't see him in 2006, you had 2016. If you didn't see him then, its not that I don't have sympathy for ya... but let's just say I didn't actually think he'd ever tour again after 2006. We were extremely luck to even see him do shows for this last LP. If you're a fan of his, you should just go whenever he's out cause its not much. He's basically been retired since 1994 for all intents and purposes, with a few sporadic years that thats not the case.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 25, 2019 17:58

KeylockSanchezandCo
Just wondering, since his last shows took place in 2016 (had the chance to go to his last European gig, in Tiengen). I remember an interview of Rick Wright with a Spanish magazine in 1994, in which he declared something like: "A time will come when people will no longer want to see Mick Jagger jumping around, whereas our shows are based on music and lights, so we will be able to keep it going for a long time". Nick Mason wrote that the end of The Division Bell Tour just felt like the end of any other tour, but it just turned out to be their last one. I do find it a pity that we got so little of Pink Floyd during the 1990's - and equally grateful we got so much of the Stones.

I remember seeing Pink Floyd in 1972 in Amsterdam. It was by far the most boring band I had seen until then. Well, Rick Wright was and still is very wrong then. Light shows is one thing, but when you look at 4 boring persons sticking to the stage like glue, no thank you. People love to see Mick Jagger jump all over the stage. Not to forget Keith and Ronnie. 1 million Americans did anyway, still in 2019.
There is something about some artists that they detest the success of the Rolling Stones. Paul Simon (as part of S&G) once stated that S&G were bigger than the Rolling Stones. Some people have a hard time hiding their frustration, it looks like.
However, we could be greatful to Pink Floyd, because the Stones found inspiration from their light shows. Luckily the Stones are not glued to the stage.

smileys with beer

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 25, 2019 19:17

I don't know the answer re: Mr Gilmour.

I'm wondering if Mr Dylan has though ????

Date: August 26, 2019 07:10

Dylan played his most recent gig July 14, 2019, six weeks ago. It's only August 26. My guess is fall dates be announced in September.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: August 26, 2019 09:54

I recall reading an interview earlier this year with Nick Mason while he was touring the States with his "Saucerful Of Secrets" project where he held out hope that he, Gilmour and Roger Waters would perform together again, claiming that he is the intermediary between Gilmour and Waters. I would love to see it happen. It should have been them instead of the Red Hot Chili Peppers performing at the Great Pyramid a few months back.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: August 26, 2019 10:57

Well after Waters did a HardTalk interview with BBC World and said "I had no right to sue the band in 87, who am i to deny a man his livelihood" I thought yeeha, right hatchet buried from his end, he admits fault, so now lets get on with it.

Let's face it, I think it was Michael Cohl who said the biggest act ever would be a reunited Pink Floyd, but in saying that, Waters has made stupid money off his last 2 tours & Gilmour alike, so maybe it's about not the sharing the $ so much, why split it 3 ways when you can have it all

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 26, 2019 13:59

Yes ,Roger Waters has made 'stupid money'from his recent solo tours.
Somehow, I cannot imagine a Mick solo tour being so successful.
Any views?

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: August 26, 2019 14:52

georgie48
I remember seeing Pink Floyd in 1972 in Amsterdam. It was by far the most boring band I had seen until then. Well, Rick Wright was and still is very wrong then. Light shows is one thing, but when you look at 4 boring persons sticking to the stage like glue, no thank you. People love to see Mick Jagger jump all over the stage. Not to forget Keith and Ronnie. 1 million Americans did anyway, still in 2019.
There is something about some artists that they detest the success of the Rolling Stones. Paul Simon (as part of S&G) once stated that S&G were bigger than the Rolling Stones. Some people have a hard time hiding their frustration, it looks like.
However, we could be greatful to Pink Floyd, because the Stones found inspiration from their light shows. Luckily the Stones are not glued to the stage.

smileys with beer

Isn't he dead?

confused smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 26, 2019 15:08

And still wrong. eye popping smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 26, 2019 15:12

jlowe
Any views?
Roger Waters' The Wall tour from 2010-2013 is the 6th highest grossing tour of all time.

If Mick could have gotten ANYWHERE close to that, he would have done it already. I think it's more than self-evident that Mick would have nowhere near that level of success.

By the way, I just found out that little hobbit Ed Sheeran has broken U2's all-time tour grossing record. What a sad day for rock'n'roll.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: August 26, 2019 17:36

Gilmore recently auctioned off a large number of his guitars for charity (including his famous black Fender Stratocaster used on every album and tour since DSOM). No doubt he has copies of some of these guitars but it seems to be a sign he is heading for retirement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-26 20:20 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: August 26, 2019 17:50

Hey, a new Gilmour vs. Waters thread. The "No Filter" tour is approaching it`s end, so what is there to talk about? Gilmour has run out of words and Waters, well, he`s been grumpy since the Pink Floyd Animals tour.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 26, 2019 17:58

jlowe
Any views?

Apples/Oranges
If the Stones had essentially ended in the early eighties, and Jagger was back doing mostly Stones songs with other players, then you bet he'd be making "stupid money" off of it. Then it would be Apples/Apples.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 26, 2019 18:04

MILKYWAY
georgie48

smileys with beer

Isn't he dead?

confused smiley
More than 10 years ago RW died..
Don't think Pink Floyd will tour again.
Without Rick Wright seems impossible.

Date: August 26, 2019 19:10

noughties
Hey, a new Gilmour vs. Waters thread. The "No Filter" tour is approaching it`s end, so what is there to talk about? Gilmour has run out of words and Waters, well, he`s been grumpy since the Pink Floyd Animals tour.

How do you know that the No Filter-tour won't continue in Australia and Asia next year?

Posted by: rlj1010 ()
Date: August 26, 2019 19:15

I very very very highly doubt they'll do anything together again. But even if they did, it would probably be billed as "An Evening With Roger Waters, David Gilmour and Nick Mason", rather than actually calling it "Pink Floyd".

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 26, 2019 19:58

Maybe Light Purple Floyd?

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: August 26, 2019 21:31

DandelionPowderman
How do you know that the No Filter-tour won't continue in Australia and Asia next year?

The US leg, I thought.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 26, 2019 21:43

When Gilmour released his last mediocre solo album Rattle That Lock back in 2015 (coinciding with a decent tour), he said he had enough songs to release a follow up soon after.
Four years later still no new album, and no one really cares much about it.

Roger Waters on the other hand released a great solo album just two year ago, and his Us and Them tour was mind boggling great just as his version of The Wall tour was.
Needless to say, more people are eagerly awaiting Rogers next move vs. Gilmour who seems to be taking a very long nap since his last activity.

Date: August 26, 2019 22:12

I didn't think either album was particularly great, but I preferred Gilmour's Rattle That Lock to Waters' Is This The Life We Really Want.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: August 26, 2019 22:40

I really liked rattle that lock and I think Gilmour ‘S stage show ( particularly with Chuck ) was very good indeed

it’s all a matter of taste isn’t it ? As Keith Richards memorably said on the red carpet of the 2011 GQ awards when asked about male grooming .....

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 27, 2019 01:11

rlj1010
I didn't think either album was particularly great, but I preferred Gilmour's Rattle That Lock to Waters' Is This The Life We Really Want.

Both albums suck. They, unfortunately, are not very good separately and never have been. I listen to a Gilmour album and think THERE is that guitar tone I've been missing all these years. But the lyrics are pure shit. Roger can still write a damn good tune, but can't write a melody to save his life. The one good song that I remember from his last album was basically a rip off of something else he'd written, forget what it was. Its unfortunate. They are pointless on their own.

Touringwise, Roger gets lucky with the Floyd stuff. He does it amazingly, and always has a great show, but to say its NOT used as a crutch is a bit of a stretch. I love him to death, his Dark Side of the Moon tour and The Wall show are some of my favorites ever. And if Gilmour refuses to tour with him Roger has all the right to do it and do it well. But hey, its not really original and its just living off your glory years. Its great, but as a massive fan I still know its 100% a gimmick. Gilmour I at least respect cause his new stuff's shit, but he's not going out there just playing stuff from 40/50 years ago. He's giving you new stuff he believes in whether you like it or not, which I really do find admirable, if not a bit disappointing.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 27, 2019 01:19

Roger also played several songs off his new album on his last tour surrounded by Floyd classics that he wrote mostly himself.
Gilmour also played a similar amount of new tunes, and also played a bunch of classic Floyd songs - some of which he had little to do with the actual writing.
Yes his vocals and guitar solos are classic, but lets not confuse the facts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-27 01:21 by Hairball.

Date: August 27, 2019 01:30

I do think the Gilmour album that came out in 2006, On an Island, was quite good.

Date: August 27, 2019 10:29

mtaylor
MILKYWAY
georgie48

smileys with beer

Isn't he dead?

confused smiley
More than 10 years ago RW died..
Don't think Pink Floyd will tour again.
Without Rick Wright seems impossible.

Nothing's impossible as long as there's Chuck. He stepped in on Gilmour's most recent shows, even sang Waters's parts on Comfortably Numb. Great Gig just needs that special plinkity plonk.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 27, 2019 14:19

We may well see a new Gilmour album BEFORE a new Stones album.
He will do a low key promotional tour also.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 27, 2019 15:07

RollingFreak
rlj1010

Both albums suck. They, unfortunately, are not very good separately and never have been. I listen to a Gilmour album and think THERE is that guitar tone I've been missing all these years. But the lyrics are pure shit. Roger can still write a damn good tune, but can't write a melody to save his life. The one good song that I remember from his last album was basically a rip off of something else he'd written, forget what it was. Its unfortunate. They are pointless on their own.

Touringwise, Roger gets lucky with the Floyd stuff. He does it amazingly, and always has a great show, but to say its NOT used as a crutch is a bit of a stretch. I love him to death, his Dark Side of the Moon tour and The Wall show are some of my favorites ever. And if Gilmour refuses to tour with him Roger has all the right to do it and do it well. But hey, its not really original and its just living off your glory years. Its great, but as a massive fan I still know its 100% a gimmick. Gilmour I at least respect cause his new stuff's shit, but he's not going out there just playing stuff from 40/50 years ago. He's giving you new stuff he believes in whether you like it or not, which I really do find admirable, if not a bit disappointing.
I've been lucky enough to see the Dark Side (2007), Wall (2012) and Us and Them (2017) tours...they were all phenomenal, but they are 100% Roger living on his Pink Floyd glory years...and he totally has a right to. He wrote the bulk of the damn material and works with amazing visual artists to bring the stage shows to life.

Yeah, he's sprinkled some new songs in there the way the Stones play Doom and Gloom or Don't Stop. The fact is that very few artists in their 60s and 70s have the artistic will and stubbornness to force new material on their audiences, and even fewer are capable of creating vital new material that their fans actually want to hear.

Let's face it: to even GET to the point where you've created two hours worth of "golden oldies" that thousands of fans want to hear (even if the material is 40-50 years old) is a tremendous achievement in itself that very few artists accomplish. Might as well celebrate it.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1706
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home