Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Coulda been Warhorses
Posted by: Shott ()
Date: August 24, 2019 20:06

So the inception of the war horse probably starts in 89 (SFTD was not played in 81). Even in 89, Tumbling Dick was not a lock for war horse status. IORR almost became a war horse but for this tour. Here is what I think could most likely have become a war horse, in order, had the Stones decided so:

Time is on My Side
Not Fade Away
Ruby Tuesday
Cant You Hear Me Knocking
Shattered
Wild Horses
Shine a Light
Dead Flowers
Dark Horse War Horse: Monkey Man

Re: Coulda been Warhorses
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 24, 2019 20:49

Shott
So the inception of the war horse probably starts in 89 (SFTD was not played in 81). Even in 89, Tumbling Dick was not a lock for war horse status.

But it hung on like a horse.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 24, 2019 21:54

out of control is worthy, especially in a live setting. i've seen the band seriously lock into a groove on that one during the final part of the song. on a transcendent level!

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: August 24, 2019 22:00

Mother's Little Helper, if they ever had the "stones" to play it

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: August 24, 2019 22:36

You Got Me Rocking is almost a warhorse by now but it deserves to be a standard song in the warhorse parade played just before SMU and JJF.

All Down The Line should be a warhorse and could easily replace Tumbling Dice as the 3rd song every night.

Out Of Control would be nice to hear every night after Keith's set. It would be a good replacement for Miss You.

Date: August 24, 2019 22:56

Get Off Of My Cloud
19th Nervous Breakdown
Stray Cat Blues
Rocks Off
All Down The Line
Beast Of Burden

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 25, 2019 14:23

The Last Time.

An absolutely crucial and historic moment in their career. Their first ever self penned single and a U.K. No 1 hit. Its success gave them the confidence to produce all else that followed. Had it not happened, they could easily have just fizzled out as a covers band. It also marked the shift in balance of power from Brian to Mick and Keith.

Yet it’s seldom played. I’ve witnessed the grand total of 1 performance of it, being Paris 1998 on the BtB tour.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 25, 2019 14:35

grzegorz67
The Last Time.

An absolutely crucial and historic moment in their career. Their first ever self penned single and a U.K. No 1 hit. Its success gave them the confidence to produce all else that followed. Had it not happened, they could easily have just fizzled out as a covers band. It also marked the shift in balance of power from Brian to Mick and Keith.

Yet it’s seldom played. I’ve witnessed the grand total of 1 performance of it, being Paris 1998 on the BtB tour.

I have a premonition that this song will be played in Miami for the reasons stated above. It's a great song that slips under the radar.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 25, 2019 14:45

..lets not forget Under My Thumb....great song...could have been a contender for warhorse.
...and of course...Bitch....Keith's best solo ever.....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-25 14:46 by Rip This.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 25, 2019 14:56

Shattered could have been if they gave it chance on the SW tour.

Date: August 25, 2019 14:59

Shott
So the inception of the war horse probably starts in 89 (SFTD was not played in 81). Even in 89, Tumbling Dick was not a lock for war horse status. IORR almost became a war horse but for this tour. Here is what I think could most likely have become a war horse, in order, had the Stones decided so:

Damn auto correct ! TD was on lock already by then. Since it's debut it was played on every tour ( and I think every show) up until and including 89-90.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-25 21:20 by ryanpow.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: August 25, 2019 14:59

ryanpow

They gave it a chance in Philadelphia (1st show of the tour) and the power went out during the song. Apparently the Stones took the stadium black-out as a sign.

Date: August 25, 2019 15:00

Chris Fountain
grzegorz67
The Last Time.

I have a premonition that this song will be played in Miami for the reasons stated above. It's a great song that slips under the radar.

I’d be pleasantly surprised. It was largely dropped from their live set a couple of years after original release. It certainly got a handful of outings on 50 & Counting but nothing since IIRC.

Date: August 25, 2019 15:01

exilestones
ryanpow

They gave it a chance in Philadelphia (1st show of the tour) and the power went out during the song. Apparently the Stones took the stadium black-out as a sign.

That's what I was referring to , they could given it a chance after that. I guess "another chance" would be a better way to put it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-25 15:03 by ryanpow.

Date: August 25, 2019 15:04

grzegorz67
Chris Fountain
grzegorz67
The Last Time.

Oddly Enough, this song is played on various Sirius XM 7 Oldies mainstream Stations routinely....mmmm more one would think.

I’d be pleasantly surprised. It was largely dropped from their live set a couple of years after original release. It certainly got a handful of outings on 50 & Counting but nothing since IIRC.

Date: August 25, 2019 15:10

Oddly Enough, this song is played on various Sirius XM & Oldies mainstream Stations routinely....

My entire post went awry.

Date: August 25, 2019 15:57

Chris Fountain
Oddly Enough, this song is played on various Sirius XM & Oldies mainstream Stations routinely....

My entire post went awry.

And that’s another good reason to play it. It’s not like it’s an obscure deep cut to please the die hards which would be lost on the rest of the crowd. It seems that after their relatively lengthy break in touring between ‘67 & ‘69, it’s barely been touched at all apart from a handful of outIngs on BtB in 1997/8 and 50 and Counting which to me is very odd considering the huge historic significance. The band will have their own reasons for not playing it - maybe they just don’t like it any more.

Date: August 25, 2019 16:17

Ok I could be going off topic - but maybe Stones' fans confuse TLT with "It' all over now?"

It's not like we are spring chickens anymore spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: August 25, 2019 16:27

to follow -up my last post - The Stones have probably played IAON twice as much if it not more than TLT - however, IAON should not be excluded as well.

Date: August 25, 2019 16:40

Chris Fountain
to follow -up my last post - The Stones have probably played IAON twice as much if it not more than TLT - however, IAON should not be excluded as well.

"It's all over now" was permanently in the set throughout Voodoo Lounge and very well played it was too, albeit with a heavily modified intro. Their 1st UK No 1 hit single so also very significant. But unlike "The Last Time", it's a cover. They did IAON at short notice in place of the song vote at Rock Werchter 5 years ago as a tribute to Bobby Womack, who'd just passed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-25 17:24 by grzegorz67.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1574
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home