Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: What bands of today are similar to The Stones and Faces sound ?
Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: September 5, 2019 19:48

"Primal Scream on the "Give out but don't give up" album (and often afterwards)..."

In addition, Palace Revolution 2000, I would say that "Loaded" (1991) sounds like the "line" of SFTD in my ears...

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: September 5, 2019 20:41

Mink DeVille and later when he went on his own, the band's lead singer Willy DeVille (moment of silence for Willy, dead these ten years).

The following is from the liner notes to the 2001 compilation album "Cadillac Walk: The Mink DeVille Collection." It was written by Ben Edmonds, the record company executive who signed Mink DeVille to Columbia. It relates how Mick Jagger dropped by the Hollywood recording studio where Jack Nitzsche was producing Cabretta:

"Jack had assisted on several Stones sessions, and it was his collaboration with Jagger on 'Memo from Turner' that had me connect him with Mink DeVille in the first place. Jack put on a reel to show off his present work. Jagger listened to a couple of songs with polite disinterest, nodding approvingly to 'Cadillac Walk.' But when 'Mixed Up, Shook Up Girl' came rolling out of the playback monitors, Jagger was immediately out of his seat and moving to its bittersweet mid-tempo rhythms. He danced with a grace one seldom sees in his herky-jerk stage performances, enveloped in the music and oblivious to the rest of us in the room... It couldn't have been more perfect if I'd dreamed it."

Mink DeVille - Mixed Up, Shook Up Girl (1977)

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 5, 2019 22:27

Back to the land of the living....

Ian Hunter and The Rant Band

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: September 6, 2019 03:28

It's funny that the thread is entitled "bands of today" and almost all the performers are from the seventies/eighties. I was listening to The Struts today and thought they can do the glam Stones thing quite well.

Posted by: bisonvodka ()
Date: September 6, 2019 09:58

hockenheim95
The third album of The Temperance Movement hast some strong songs that fit with that sound.

[m.youtube.com]
[m.youtube.com]
[m.youtube.com]

I saw them before the stones in Berlin and Duss in 2014 if my memory serves me well.
Quite good band.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 6, 2019 10:32

Humble Pie's excellent Smokin' album goes for that sound. Here's 30 Days In The Hole off that album -

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 6, 2019 10:33

And yes, I echo the earlier suggestion of the Flamin' Groovies. Legend has it that when he heard this Keith said, 'I don't remember writing that one'. Yep, it's that good.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: September 6, 2019 21:52

Here in Norway we have a band called Hellbillies that started out as a country band singing in norwegian in the '90s. They have gradually turned in to a southern rock band, and as the guitarplayer is a big fan of Keith, they've naturally also released some Stones inspired material:

[www.reverbnation.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-06 22:03 by audun-eg.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 7, 2019 06:19

Nobody. Why would they? The Stones sound itself is from fifty years ago. It's like a band in the 70s sounding like a band from the 1920s. Modern Rock and roll is dead, except for a blip here and there like the Raconteurs. The Stones are a museum piece that is playing out the string, echoing grandeur long past. And when they're gone, there will be no replacement. Something new will come along. Maybe music will simply not have the power it had in the 20th Century.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 7, 2019 20:57

How about this bunch? The Second Sons:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 7, 2019 23:33

Green Lady
How about this bunch? The Second Sons:

[www.youtube.com]

Stone them doors.......thumbs up

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: September 8, 2019 03:17

Melbourne muso Nick Barker is a huge Stones fan
Check out his band Heartache State
Guitar player is Justin Garner, very Stones

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Screamer ()
Date: September 9, 2019 01:30

Queens of the Stone Age are one of the best rock bands of this century. Their album ...Like Clockwork from 2013 was one of the best albums of that year (and this decade for sure!) and this song in particular sounds very Stones-influenced, but especially that guitar solo at the 1:40 mark which really sounds like a solo from Gimme Shelter.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 11, 2019 18:35

These guys. Produced by Ethan Johns(son of Glyn), album out 9/13.

[bit.ly]

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: September 11, 2019 21:39

The Struts are a band on the rise that are in the same general ballpark - although maybe more Queen in both appearance and sound than the Stones.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 11, 2019 21:58

24FPS
Nobody. Why would they? The Stones sound itself is from fifty years ago. It's like a band in the 70s sounding like a band from the 1920s. Modern Rock and roll is dead, except for a blip here and there like the Raconteurs. The Stones are a museum piece that is playing out the string, echoing grandeur long past. And when they're gone, there will be no replacement. Something new will come along. Maybe music will simply not have the power it had in the 20th Century.

I don't know ..... some pretty good music from the 17th and 18th centuries is still around. cool smiley

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 12, 2019 10:14

24FPS

Spot on.

Date: September 12, 2019 15:37

The Struts have some very good material at times.

And there is a very good album coming out right in our own backyard here. It is not my place to say the name, but I have heard it, and it is some crunching Fender rock coming our way.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 12, 2019 21:59

Greta Van .....

I Keed, I keed.......

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: September 13, 2019 00:08

The Struts have the potential but sound more like Queen and The sweet ..

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: September 13, 2019 00:36

Think they already split up but its a great stones sounding band

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: September 13, 2019 07:45

Georgia Satellites 1st album
Jet - Get Born

Date: September 13, 2019 07:47

Palace Revolution 2000
Early Crowes of course. Primal Scream on the "Give out but don't give up" album (and often afterwards)

But IMO the band that really gets the swagger right, is the Novaks. Check out their first album; the red one. Excellent album.

I find that it is not rock acts who manage to sound like Faces/Stones because when those two were at their best they were usually playing a lot of Country and Soul. So, when I'm listening to Steve Earle e.g. it reminds me a lot of the Stones.

Just listened to the Novaks... Great stuff!!

Re: What bands of today are similar to The Stones and Faces sound ?t
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 13, 2019 08:17

It doesn’t matter much, the era is gone. I know we all said “Rock and Roll will never die” but it is indeed dead as a door nail.
No matter how good the guy wearing the fedora does Frank Sinatra the big bands and screaming girls from the 1940s are lost to history and he’s just a fake wearing clothes and singing songs from someone else’s Reality.

Just as the Rock gods of the 60s and 70s are no longer flying in The Starship plundering and pillaging from town to town.
To recreate the look and sound is about as real those guys who dress up and recreate the civil war,you might even be able to play just as authentic as the guys sitting around the campfire did.
But there’s no blood,no smoke, no real gunfire and nobody dies. It’s hollow and not the real thing.
I can’t take any of these guys who try the old styles seriously, it’s like watching Sha Na Na.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 13, 2019 08:38

funny how stones fans when asked that question come up with such different bands as queen of the stone age or twin peaks. not to mention the irritating cover band called second sons with the joke of the negroni before, and all the bands that is quite awkward to fit in the "today" span.
it speaks a lot and maybe lem tells it harsh but right

Date: September 13, 2019 09:01

I miss read - Check out Cage the Elephant start with Back Stabbin Betty

Great band

Posted by: tupelo68 ()
Date: September 13, 2019 09:09

The Sweet Things

[fasterandlouderblog.blogspot.com]

NYC Stones

Date: September 13, 2019 11:07

umakmehrd
Georgia Satellites 1st album
Jet - Get Born

Their last album was even more Stonesy..

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 13, 2019 11:23

Yeah Lem makes an undeniable point. Who cares really it’s all about going out to a club for a $20.00 ticket and having a great night with any band that shakes your bones....>grinning smiley<

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: September 13, 2019 16:46

tupelo68
The Sweet Things

[fasterandlouderblog.blogspot.com]

NYC Stones

Totally agree with this band, been a local NYC club act for a few years always put on a great show, real rock and roll.

Also I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Diamond Dogs! A great rock and roll band and not the Bowie tribute band.

Just about everything from them is quality

[en.wikipedia.org])

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1879
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home