Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Stones songs used for solo material & vise versa
Date: August 22, 2019 21:27

TheGreek
DandelionPowderman
A few more:

It's Only Rock'n'Roll: Written and recorded by Wood for his IGMOATD-album, but traded with Mick and Keith’s I Can Feel The Fire. Ended up on IORR.

Sure The One You Need and Act Together: Intended for a Stones album, but was offered Wood for IGMOATD.
Did Mick Taylor even play on the title track ? I do know it's the human riffmaster playing the fill in all it's glory !

No, but Wood plays the acoustic 12 string.

Posted by: goinhome ()
Date: August 22, 2019 21:31

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think I remember hearing that One More Shot was originally intended for Crosseyed Heart?

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: August 22, 2019 22:54

Love everyone discussing in this thread! Definitely finding out more info to add! Thanks guys!smileys with beer

Date: August 22, 2019 23:00

goinhome
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think I remember hearing that One More Shot was originally intended for Crosseyed Heart?

That is correct!! Steve Jordan said they recorded a version for CROSSEYED HEART before Keith wanted to give it to the Stones.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 23, 2019 00:26

I remember a Keith interview from when B2B was released where he said that Gunface was his song. Is the info that Gunface was originally meant for a Mick solo album confirmed?

Date: August 23, 2019 00:28

doitywoik
I remember a Keith interview from when B2B was released where he said that Gunface was his song. Is the info that Gunface was originally meant for a Mick solo album confirmed?

"I had a lot of songs that I was just writing last autumn (1996) and I had thought, you know, I was gonna do a solo record and there wasn't really talk about doing a Stones record, so I was just writing songs really. I mean, I was having a really nice time doing it. And I did write a lot all around the world but I was just sitting there doing these songs and I... So when we had sort of decided that we were going to do a Stones record, I thought, well I'd just pick the songs that I think... that would suit - and there were lots of others that perhaps didn't suit. And so I had an awful lot prepared, so I had those and so when Keith and I got together, I played him some of them, familiarized him and then we went on and wrote a bunch of other stuff. Some of which appears (on the album), some of which doesn't."

"I had written a lot of songs coming into this project that I'd already done. I'd written them and they were all finished and completed. I didn't really necessarily know we were going to do a Stones record at that point... (I wrote) Anybody Seen My Baby, Saint of Me... Gunface, Out of Control, Might As Well Get Juiced."

- Mick Jagger 1997

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 23, 2019 00:32

Gunface is quite a provocative song. It's about a guy who wants to kill his girlfriend's lover. Most of the songs are of a personal nature but this one is not.

Mick Jagger, 1997

ROCKMAN

Date: August 23, 2019 00:46

Thanks, Jordy! Maybe I remembered that wrong (or Keith talked crap).

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 23, 2019 16:51

Mick's songs that he said, of which 2 are horrendous, should've never been on the LP. It blows my mind how they thought of what was good to go on an LP from 1986 onward - the same minds that put such excellent songs on LPs from 1968-1972 as well as some others pre-1986.

Partially why I've always thought of UNDERCOVER and REWIND as the end of the inventive and creative era of The Rolling Stones (or at least the Ronnie Wood era).

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 23, 2019 23:19

Great idea for a thread, agree with most of it but some stuff is news to me!

I see the source but it's a bit of a stretch to have the B2B tunes slated for a solo album. As he says Mick was just writing songs alone (or with Clifford) as he's done since at least Steel Wheels. You could add all the 2002 tracks in that case and most of ABB.

What are the sources for Blinded by Rainbows and Don't Stop? Also Illusion is included because it sounds like BBID?

Where did Rocky Dijon write that Trouble was in fact High or Low? That would be pretty big news as it's been an ongoing mystery, what with the unreleased Sheryl Crow collaboration.

And yes, there's no way IORR was a Ronnie tune the Glimmers hung their hat on, it's not like it's Hey Negrita, and Ronnie himself tells the story of how it came about. It's a Mick tune he helped him with, like Peace for the Wicked many years later (source: Bill German) and probably many others during during the Paris sessions. Oh and Infection by the Stones never leaked, right?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: August 23, 2019 23:19

To me, Undercover is the lowest point they reached so far. But one man's gem is another man's train wreck.

I wouldn't want to miss Gunface from B2B but could well have done without Juiced (at least in the released version).

The problem is perhaps less that Mick brings complete songs to a session whereas Keith brings just a riff or ideas yet to be worked out. The way I understand it, Mick doesn't just bring complete songs but (sometime?/often?/always?) songs already complete with arrangement, with hardly any room left for the others to contribute something, let alone to work on the song.

Date: August 24, 2019 00:09

gotdablouse
Great idea for a thread, agree with most of it but some stuff is news to me!

I see the source but it's a bit of a stretch to have the B2B tunes slated for a solo album. As he says Mick was just writing songs alone (or with Clifford) as he's done since at least Steel Wheels. You could add all the 2002 tracks in that case and most of ABB.

What are the sources for Blinded by Rainbows and Don't Stop? Also Illusion is included because it sounds like BBID?

Where did Rocky Dijon write that Trouble was in fact High or Low? That would be pretty big news as it's been an ongoing mystery, what with the unreleased Sheryl Crow collaboration.

And yes, there's no way IORR was a Ronnie tune the Glimmers hung their hat on, it's not like it's Hey Negrita, and Ronnie himself tells the story of how it came about. It's a Mick tune he helped him with, like Peace for the Wicked many years later (source: Bill German) and probably many others during during the Paris sessions. Oh and Infection by the Stones never leaked, right?

I have a pic I'll try to post up on this thread that says all of the tracks worked on for the SOME GIRLS sessions and the tracks that ended up being mastered. One of the songs listed is Infection, so that definitely gives away that the song was at first worked on for SOME GIRLS and when it wasn't used, Ronnie recorded it for his solo album.

Blinded By Rainbows:

"I was writing it at the end of the Wandering Spirit album. I was sort of halfway through with it, and I thought, Well, this would be better suited to the Rolling Stones' next album. It was all kind of in my head, rather than written down. But you know, it's pretty strong. I think it's good to have one like that on the record, it shakes you up a bit. Otherwise all the songs are about girls and cars and immaturity." - Mick Jagger, 1994

Don't Stop:

"Before the release of Forty Licks, I wrote Don't Stop in the same period that I was writing the songs for my solo album, and I just put it to one side and said to myself, This sounds very much like the Rolling Stones to me. It might be very useful in the coming months, but I'll leave it for now and I won't record it because I think it's going to be better for the Stones." - Mick Jagger 2003

Illusion:

"(T)here are some outtakes from A Bigger Bang. I think you can maybe hear the beginnings of Illusion: I really want to pick up on this song, or else it's going to disappear down the drain." - Keith Richards, July 2015

"I had already laid down Illusion (in 2004). Two or three of these songs were coming out of stuff I was writing for the Stones and then we reached our deadline there, so these things were left over." - Keith Richards September 2015

We were just commenting that the piano KR plays on Illusion sounded like the guitar riff from Baby Break It Down. thumbs up

I also just included the B2B songs b/c I felt these were originally written like Mick said for a solo album, but when he knew there were going to work on a Stones album, he brought them in for the Stones. To me, some of those songs work but also don't work as Stones songs and feel more like Jagger songs that would have been better suited for a solo album.

As for Trouble being the song High Or Low from the B2B sessions, I recall Rocky saying he heard it is indeed an early version from someone. The only problem is, if you listen to the track Just Because from the sessions for FORTY LICKS, it sounds like the song was brought in fresh like they had never worked on it before. What's also odd is that Keith said Trouble started off as a Hank Williams inspired track. Very weird how certain songs come together, how they're written and what they might sound like when they're finished.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-24 00:19 by JordyLicks96.

Date: August 24, 2019 00:29

PATHE MARCONI INDEX TO MASTERS FOR SOME GIRLS

Here's where you can see the song Infection listed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-24 00:29 by JordyLicks96.

Date: August 24, 2019 00:37

JordyLicks96

The tape has songs from the SG sessions, some from the RCA sessions and some from the ER sessions

Date: August 24, 2019 00:50

DandelionPowderman
JordyLicks96

The tape has songs from the SG sessions, some from the RCA sessions and some from the ER sessions

This list is from the SOME GIRLS sessions with the list of songs that were going to be mastered in early 1978, none from RCA or ER sessions:

MISS YOU
WHEN THE WHIP COMES DOWN
IMAGINATION
SOME GIRLS
LIES
FAR AWAY EYES
RESPECTABLE
ROTTEN ROLL (WORKING TITLE FOR BEFORE THEY MAKE ME RUN)
BEAST OF BURDEN
SHATTERED
DO YOU THINK I CARE
EVERYTHING IS TURNING TO GOLD
FIJI JIM
I CAN'T HELP IT
INFECTION
JUST BECAUSE I TOLD YOU
ONCE YOU START (START ME UP?)

Other songs worked on during the SOME GIRLS sessions that were later used for future albums:

INFECTION (INFEKSHUN)
TRAIN SONG (ALL ABOUT YOU)
BLACK LIMOUSINE
HANG FIRE

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 24, 2019 01:57

Brown Smear sounds like it could have been a classicgrinning smiley

Date: August 24, 2019 07:10

Yeah, absolutely!

Brown sm-ea-ea-ear, how come you taste so good?!"

Nutella, Marmite? The cream in the nappies? Will we ever know? -- Maybe we get a brushed-up version of BROWN SMEAR on the new album?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-24 07:13 by doitywoik.

Date: August 24, 2019 13:50

JordyLicks96
DandelionPowderman
JordyLicks96

This list is from the SOME GIRLS sessions with the list of songs that were going to be mastered in early 1978, none from RCA or ER sessions:

MISS YOU
WHEN THE WHIP COMES DOWN
IMAGINATION
SOME GIRLS
LIES
FAR AWAY EYES
RESPECTABLE
ROTTEN ROLL (WORKING TITLE FOR BEFORE THEY MAKE ME RUN)
BEAST OF BURDEN
SHATTERED
DO YOU THINK I CARE
EVERYTHING IS TURNING TO GOLD
FIJI JIM
I CAN'T HELP IT
INFECTION
JUST BECAUSE I TOLD YOU
ONCE YOU START (START ME UP?)

Other songs worked on during the SOME GIRLS sessions that were later used for future albums:

INFECTION (INFEKSHUN)
TRAIN SONG (ALL ABOUT YOU)
BLACK LIMOUSINE
HANG FIRE

Er, Claudine, Train Song etc weren't worked on for SG?

EDIT: Seemingly, Claudine was started by that time, but not Train Song.

"All About You

Composers: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards 
Recording date: January-February 1979, November 1979-January 1980 & April 1980"

From timeisonourside.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-24 14:17 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 24, 2019 16:20

@JordyLicks96 - thanks for following up and the additional Mick quotes. I wonder why some stuff from the Paris 77/79 sessions didn't leak considering all the releases over the years and the fact that most of them come from the master tapes that were stored at Pathe in Boulogne and that got "freed" in 1992 when the studios were pulled down. Maybe we know some titles under names.

Good point about Trouble/High or Low given how it sounds on the leaked 2002 tapes...On the other hand that could explain why Sheryl Crow never used it (Keith called and said he was keeping it for a future project after all). You'd think she would have been more than happy to use a Jagger/Richards/Crow or Richards/Crow song for one of her releases ;-)

As a side note I remember Mick saying in a Musician interview in early 1993 that there was a psychedelic song recorded for the WS sessions but that he felt he was already cramming in too many bases already so it was left out. I can't see anything that would have surfaced on later releases that would fit that bill ;-) Will we hear it one day ? For the 30th anniversary of WS ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: August 24, 2019 16:44

Perhaps it was one of the psychedelic/ethnic-sounding songs they worked on for the VL-sessions?

Date: August 24, 2019 17:20

Start Me Up/Never Stop is missing from that list.

Date: August 24, 2019 17:23

Keith on Train Song:

That song was hanging around for 3 years. After researching to make sure it wasn't somebody else who wrote it, I finally decided that it must have been me. But... I am proud of it.
- Keith Richards, 1980-81
[timeisonourside.com]

So it's likely they started it for SOME GIRLS.

Date: August 24, 2019 17:25

doitywoik
To me, Undercover is the lowest point they reached so far. But one man's gem is another man's train wreck.

Some people have odd hearing. There seems to be a bit of consistency with people having DIRTY WORK related names and their ideas of what is good and bad.

Date: August 24, 2019 18:23

GasLightStreet
Keith on Train Song:

That song was hanging around for 3 years. After researching to make sure it wasn't somebody else who wrote it, I finally decided that it must have been me. But... I am proud of it.
[timeisonourside.com]

Might be, but the same site states that the recording of it started in 1979.

Date: August 24, 2019 19:13

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Keith on Train Song:

[timeisonourside.com]

True. However, nzentgraf has is listed for the 1977 SG sessions as

All About You I (MJ/KR) -unverified instrumental; under title Train Song

Which fits Keith's time line.

Date: August 24, 2019 19:15

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Keith on Train Song:

[timeisonourside.com]

True. However, nzentgraf has is listed for the 1977 SG sessions as

All About You I (MJ/KR) -unverified instrumental; under title Train Song

Which fits Keith's time line.

Thanks. Hadn't seen that.

Date: August 24, 2019 23:31

Yeah, sadly a lot of sources aren't correct. TRAIN SONG is absolutely ALL ABOUT YOU. Here's Charlie, Mick, Bill and Ronnie talking about it in 1980. Quote taken from "timeisonourside."

Charlie: The classic one on this album is the one Keith's done. I mean, I didn't know what... right up until about 2 months before the album... has now come out.
Mick: Which one are you talking about, Charlie?
Charlie: I mean, I didn't know...
Mick: Which song... ?
Bill: All About You.
Mick: Oh, All About You.
Bill: The "train song".
Mick: Yeah.
Charlie: Yeah.
Ron: Train Song, that's what we knew it as.
Charlie: Yeah, Keith's, yeah... Oh nobody knows...
Bill: It's just a track called Train Song.
Charlie: And I never knew what Keith was going to (put) on it, I never knew what he wanted... But it was a great track to play. That's being a drummer, you know?
Ron: He ended up singing that too, which is quite pleasing.
Charlie: Yeah, it's great. But I mean...
Mick: It's not me singing it (laughs).
Charlie: How he made a song out of it, I don't know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-24 23:41 by JordyLicks96.

Date: August 24, 2019 23:40

GasLightStreet
Start Me Up/Never Stop is missing from that list.

Very true! It might be under the title "ONCE YOU STOP" from that list but not sure. Here's a pic I took from Exhibitionism when it was in NYC. These are tracks that were compiled for TATTOO YOU in October 1980. "Start Me Up" as you can see is listed under the title "Start It Up" from Paris '78.

Date: August 25, 2019 00:28

Thanks for that picture, hadn't seen it before.
I wonder why they have "From OB 1/2/3 24.7.80" date for many of these tracks as it's unlikely they were touched by the band after the initial sessions. Is it when they were mixed perhaps ? I wonder if "Just Because I Told You" leaked under another name ?

"MR" could be "Master Reel".

--------------

Date: August 25, 2019 00:37

gotdablouse
Thanks for that picture, hadn't seen it before.
I wonder why they have "From OB 1/2/3 24.7.80" date for many of these tracks as it's unlikely they were touched by the band after the initial sessions. Is it when they were mixed perhaps ? I wonder if "Just Because I Told You" leaked under another name ?

"MR" could be "Master Reel".

I was wondering that myself about the date. All of these tracks come from the SOME GIRLS sessions. Maybe they were compiled on 7/24/80 so they could possibly be worked on further in October '80?

According to "nzentgraf's" site, "Just Because I Told You" is the real title for the song "I Need You" which has been posted on YouTube under that title. This was a song that went to the mastering stage for possible inclusion on SOME GIRLS.

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1815
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home