Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Stones songs used for solo material & vise versa
Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: August 21, 2019 01:19

Was just thinking yesterday about Stones songs that ended up being worked on for solo material and vise versa.

Memo From Turner: Originally worked on by the Stones in 1968 and released on the ABKCO album METAMORPHOSIS in 1975. Re-recorded by various musicians and released as a Mick Jagger solo single in 1970.

Act Together: Recorded and released on Ron Wood's solo album I'VE GOT MY OWN ALBUM TO DO. Worked on during the BLACK AND BLUE sessions.

Infekshun: Worked on under the title Infection during the SOME GIRLS sessions. Recorded and released on Ron Wood's solo album GIMME SOME NECK.

Redeyes: Worked on during the SOME GIRLS sessions. Recorded and released on Ron Wood's solo album 1234. [Original Stones recording was finished and released in 2011 under the title When You're Gone.]

Lonely At The Top: Worked on during the EMOTIONAL RESCUE sessions. Recorded and released on Mick Jagger's solo album SHE'S THE BOSS.

Gangster's Moll: Worked on during the EMOTIONAL RESCUE and possibly STEEL WHEELS sessions. Demoed for Mick Jagger's solo album PRIMITIVE COOL.

Almost Hear You Sigh: Demoed for Keith Richards solo album TALK IS CHEAP. Recorded and released on STEEL WHEELS.

Sweet Thing & Hang On To Me Tonight: Possibly worked on during the STEEL WHEELS sessions. Recorded and released on Mick Jagger's solo album WANDERING SPIRIT.

Blinded By Rainbows: Written for Mick Jagger's solo album WANDERING SPIRIT. Recorded and released on VOODOO LOUNGE.

Anybody Seen My Baby, Gunface, Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, Might As Well Get Juiced: Written for a Mick Jagger solo album. Recorded and released on BRIDGES TO BABYLON.

Don't Stop: Written for Mick Jagger's solo album GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY. Recorded and released on FORTY LICKS.

One More Shot: Worked on during the sessions for Keith Richards solo album CROSSEYED HEART. Recorded and released on GRRR!.

Trouble: Worked on during the sessions for FORTY LICKS under the title Just Because. Recorded and released on Keith Richards solo album CROSSEYED HEART.

Nothing On Me & Illusion: Written for A BIGGER BANG. Recorded and released on Keith Richards solo album CROSSEYED HEART.

Gotta Get A Grip & England Lost: Written for the untitled upcoming Stones album. Recorded and released as a Mick Jagger solo single.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

Sure The One You Need: Recorded and released on Ron Wood's solo album I'VE GOT MY OWN ALBUM TO DO. The Stones performed it live twice on the 1975 TOUR OF THE AMERICAS.

The Harder They Come: Recorded during the early sessions for EMOTIONAL RESCUE. Released as the B-side to Keith Richards solo single Run Rudolph Run.

Talk Is Cheap: Written and recorded for DIRTY WORK. Used as the title for Keith Richards first solo album.

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-22 23:51 by JordyLicks96.

Re: Stones songs used for solo material & vise versa
Date: August 21, 2019 09:20

Nothing On Me goes back to 2002.

When You're Gone (Redeyes) was released in 2011.

We don't know if Wicked As It Seems served as inspiration for Love Is Strong, as Keith has used many passages like that in his riffs (and those two similar chords are really played rather differently). Illusion, however, sounds suspiciously similar to the riff in Baby, Break It Down smiling smiley

Date: August 21, 2019 09:26

A few more:

It's Only Rock'n'Roll: Written and recorded by Wood for his IGMOATD-album, but traded with Mick and Keith’s I Can Feel The Fire. Ended up on IORR.

Sure The One You Need and Act Together: Intended for a Stones album, but was offered Wood for IGMOATD.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 21, 2019 11:23

Some songs on A BIGGER BANG were supposedly written for the ALFIE SOUNDTRACK.
Laugh I Nearly Died, Biggest Mistake and possibly Streets Of Love. I remember reading something related to this in Martin Elliott's book.

Date: August 21, 2019 11:38

According to Rocky's source, Trouble was first called High Or Low and was worked on during the B2B-sessions, as well as on a session Keith and Sheryl Crow had.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: August 21, 2019 12:18

Does Micks unreleased Album with the Red devils not have some B&L tracks on it?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 21, 2019 14:26

"Act Together" would have been a GREAT Stones song.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: August 21, 2019 15:01

DandelionPowderman

We don't know if Wicked As It Seems served as inspiration for Love Is Strong, as Keith has used many passages like that in his riffs (and those two similar chords are really played rather differently).

While this is true, Keith did explicitly draw the comparison between Wicked and LIS:

“I started that one. To me, it's intimately related to Wicked As It Seems, which I did last year. All of our songs are like... this one's the cousin of that one. They're all offshoots of themes and motifs.”

Date: August 21, 2019 16:26

MelBelli
DandelionPowderman

We don't know if Wicked As It Seems served as inspiration for Love Is Strong, as Keith has used many passages like that in his riffs (and those two similar chords are really played rather differently).

While this is true, Keith did explicitly draw the comparison between Wicked and LIS:

“I started that one. To me, it's intimately related to Wicked As It Seems, which I did last year. All of our songs are like... this one's the cousin of that one. They're all offshoots of themes and motifs.”

Yeah, I know, but related how? Because he "stole" from himself, or simply because they wound up sounding like "cousins" in their respective intros? smiling smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 21, 2019 17:44

DandelionPowderman
MelBelli
DandelionPowderman

Yeah, I know, but related how? Because he "stole" from himself, or simply because they wound up sounding like "cousins" in their respective intros? smiling smiley

And it sure sounds like Gold painted nails.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: August 21, 2019 22:35

Keith had great tracks like Trouble, Illusion, and Nothing on Me in the vault but decided to release clunkers like This Place Is Empty and Losing My Touch instead?

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: August 21, 2019 22:36

DandelionPowderman
MelBelli
DandelionPowderman

Since this list is supposed to be of songs written for solo, but held back for Stones, I agree it doesn’t really belong. Both songs came out.

Date: August 22, 2019 03:45

DandelionPowderman

We don't know if Wicked As It Seems served as inspiration for Love Is Strong, as Keith has used many passages like that in his riffs (and those two similar chords are really played rather differently). Illusion, however, sounds suspiciously similar to the riff in Baby, Break It Down smiling smiley

"I would say Nothing on Me was written for Bigger Bang."
- Keith Richards 2015

I still included Redeyes on the list as its release at the time from Ron Wood's solo album in 1981 wasn't released by the Stones yet, like you said until 2011.

I had to listen to Illusion again but you're definitely right. The piano is basically borrowed from the lead guitar on Baby Break It Down. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-22 03:46 by JordyLicks96.

Date: August 22, 2019 03:47

MelBelli
DandelionPowderman
MelBelli
DandelionPowderman

Since this list is supposed to be of songs written for solo, but held back for Stones, I agree it doesn’t really belong. Both songs came out.

Yeah I agree now that you put it that way smileys with beer

Date: August 22, 2019 04:25

DandelionPowderman
A few more:

It's Only Rock'n'Roll: Written and recorded by Wood for his IGMOATD-album, but traded with Mick and Keith’s I Can Feel The Fire. Ended up on IORR.

Sure The One You Need and Act Together: Intended for a Stones album, but was offered Wood for IGMOATD.

Sure The One You Need and Act Together I think were both written by Keith for Wood's album and not intended for the Stones. Although Act Together was worked on by the Stones during the early sessions for BLACK AND BLUE in '74.

As for It's Only Rock'n'Roll, I don't recall ever reading it was written for Wood's album, I think Mick and Ronnie were just writing together in Dec. '73. It was Mick's song to begin with. I also don't believe I Can Feel The Fire is a Jagger/Richards song. If it was it would have been credited to Jagger/Richards on the album like Sure The One You Need and Act Together were.

- "Mick (Jagger) and I worked out I Can Feel the Fire and after we'd done that, he said, Help me with this song 'cause I wanna see how it turns out. So, say on a Tuesday evening: two guitars - Mick and I - and Mick singing lead vocal and David Bowie and myself on backup vocals. Then I overdubbed the rest of the instruments last and it sounded like a good demo. So the next night, we wanted to put it in a more presentable shape so we got hold of Kenny Jones who plays the drums on the actual record. Ah... I ended up with just my acoustic guitar that I laid originally. Keith replaced - RIGHTLY SO - the guitars that I'd done electrically." - Ron Wood 1982

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-22 07:49 by JordyLicks96.

Date: August 22, 2019 09:29

IORR was both written and recorded for Ronnie's album. That's why Bowie, Weeks, Jones and Woody play/sing on on it. Mick and Keith added their stuff later, after they made their "arrangement": IORR/I Can Feel The Fire (something they don't talk about publicly, but this is no secret among fans).

Why would they work on and record Act Together if they didn't intend to have it on an album?

I've read somewhere that they also planned to use Sure The One You Need, but I can't remember where smiling smiley They also played it live in 1975.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-22 09:29 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 22, 2019 10:37

DandelionPowderman
IORR was both written and recorded for Ronnie's album. That's why Bowie, Weeks, Jones and Woody play/sing on on it. Mick and Keith added their stuff later, after they made their "arrangement": IORR/I Can Feel The Fire (something they don't talk about publicly, but this is no secret among fans).

Why would they work on and record Act Together if they didn't intend to have it on an album?

I've read somewhere that they also planned to use Sure The One You Need, but I can't remember where smiling smiley They also played it live in 1975.

Is it really the case that Mick added his part later? We know that Keith did, but I have always had the picture that Mick was also involved in that early recording session with Bowie and the rest (and was involved in the very process of writing the song). I have thought that IORR/ICFTF arrangement was more like after having written these two tunes together (bot credited in a fair world as 'Jagger/Wood'), Mick said 'I take this (better) one, and you can keep the other one'.

Be the truth whatever, Ronnie at least has been rather constant in his sayings of its creation. That's what he said of it in ACCORDING TO THE ROLLING STONES:

I had been working on my first album - I'VE GOT MY OWN ALBUM TO DO - and during that time MIck Jagger used to come round and help me. The place was always full. Mick would bring David Bowie there.

When I was writing "I Can Feel The Fire", Mick gave me a hand on the song, and he said, "Help me on this one. I've got this chorus with the verses for 'It's Only Rock'n'Roll'". So we went through that with Bowie and me singing in the background vocals on it and Willie Weeks on bass. Andy Newmark had fallen sleep or gone away. Either way we didn't have a drummer, so we woke Kenney Jones up in the middle of the night. The session came together with odds and ends, but we got the basic track cut. Then they took it all over to Island Records, where Keith wanted to pull all of my guitars off.

With a song like "It's Only Rock'n'Roll", you can't really get into who wrote which note. We were bouncing ideas to and fro. Mick had the chorus already and it was trial and error, like most songs are. You shape them up and before you know it, you've got your chorus, your verses, your middle eight and where the solo is going to be. The song moulds itself pretty quickly and you've got the basic one down on the tape anyway.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-22 10:47 by Doxa.

Date: August 22, 2019 10:54

<I have thought that IORR/ICFTF arrangement was more like after having written these two tunes together (bot credited in a fair world as 'Jagger/Wood'>

That's interesting, and it could very well be. I haven't looked into this for a long time, though, and the info I provided was where I thought it was at years ago.

I haven't read Wood's book, and don't know how "factual" it is.

However, I always thought Mick came in late in the process of IORR (but earlier than Keith), and that IORR was a 100 percent penned Wood-tune.

Date: August 22, 2019 11:23

DandelionPowderman

That's interesting, and it could very well be. I haven't looked into this for a long time, though, and the info I provided was where I thought it was at years ago.

I haven't read Wood's book, and don't know how "factual" it is.

However, I always thought Mick came in late in the process of IORR (but earlier than Keith), and that IORR was a 100 percent penned Wood-tune.

That one I cannot ever believe. The lyrics have Mick Jagger all over it, and Ronnie Wood would not in any imaginable world have written something as lyrically clever as it. Anyway, it could be that Ronnie might have come up with the main phrase 'It's only Rock'n'Roll, but I like it', and Jagger noticed its potential brilliance, and wrote the rest of it around it (a'la he had done with many Richards songs). This could have pretty easily happen in the later process in finishing up the song (probably at the stage of, as Keith has recalled, Mick and Bowie were dubbing their vocals).

Noticing the context, it is funny how different the whole idea and impression of the song would have been if it had been a Ronnie Wood solo song (having totally different verses, and none of that sexually-driven Jaggerian delivery in its total glory). For Ronnie that had been just an honest or even banal confession of the nature of his game and of his little creative ambitions (fitting very well to the feel of I'VE GOT MY OWN ALBUM TO DO). With Jagger the whole point and reference - its statement - lifts up to something else, using Mick's own image and super star status, the history of the Stones, the reception of them (including their age) at the time, and the nature of rock music altogether as a reference (especially at the time when rock music had its most serious artistic pretensions). And as always with Mick, all of that reduced into talking about having sex....

- Doxa

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-22 12:00 by Doxa.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 22, 2019 12:55

Can you still hear Bowie on the released IORR?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-22 14:38 by peoplewitheyes.

Date: August 22, 2019 13:34

"Gangster's Moll" - Stones hit it at least twice at different times. Then Jagger pulled it up for a solo album session.

Date: August 22, 2019 14:53

peoplewitheyes
Can you still hear Bowie on the released IORR?

Supposedly winking smiley

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 22, 2019 14:57

My take is that it was a Jagger-Wood production, with Mick pulling ideas out of Ronnie the same way he did with Keith and later Mick Taylor, except there was no way they could make this a Jagger-Richads composition without giving Ronnie *something* and so they struck a deal.
Wood was playing the long game, too; he recogized this helped him move closer to getting into the band.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 22, 2019 16:26

Great thread, Jordy!
So far, even for an "oldy" like me, it has some interest input, I didn't know about!
I do get the feeling that the upcoming new Stones album may contain some "solo activities" from both Mick and Keith. Like all of us, I can't wait to see it released.
smileys with beer

Date: August 22, 2019 16:52

erikjjf
Some songs on A BIGGER BANG were supposedly written for the ALFIE SOUNDTRACK.
Laugh I Nearly Died, Biggest Mistake and possibly Streets Of Love. I remember reading something related to this in Martin Elliott's book.

Didn't know that. Easy to believe, though. Especially "Laugh I Nearly Died" and "Biggest Mistake" have a sort of ALFIE 'vibe' in them. With that I mean especially the lyrical content of them, expressing traits of reflection, sadness and vulnerability Mick doesn't much show in songs written for Stones, and very rarely in his solo songs either. Could easily imagine them fitting to the soundtrack.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-22 16:57 by Doxa.

Date: August 22, 2019 17:05

Memo From Turner also deserves a mention in this thread smiling smiley

Date: August 22, 2019 19:26

DandelionPowderman

Yep. And "In Another Land". Didn't they release it as a single under Bill Wyman's name?

"BILL WYMAN'S IN ANOTHER LAND with The Lantern by The Rolling Stones" says the sleeve... (and Bill Wyman is printed as the artist in the disc itself)

So, technically that's the first solo release by a Rolling Stone. A great backing band Bill had...

- Doxa

Date: August 22, 2019 19:54

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Yep. And "In Another Land". Didn't they release it as a single under Bill Wyman's name?

"BILL WYMAN'S IN ANOTHER LAND with The Lantern by The Rolling Stones" says the sleeve... (and Bill Wyman is printed as the artist in the disc itself)

So, technically that's the first solo release by a Rolling Stone. A great backing band Bill had...

- Doxa

It was some kind of a joke, though, but technically it's true smiling smiley

Date: August 22, 2019 20:14

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

maybe its credited that way so the rest of the band could take no blame for in another land

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 22, 2019 20:17

DandelionPowderman
A few more:

Did Mick Taylor even play on the title track ? I do know it's the human riffmaster playing the fill in all it's glory !

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2485
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home