Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith's 60's LPC moon paint job
Posted by: berlinjive ()
Date: August 20, 2019 05:04

Anyone know the brand of paint was used? A hobby enamal paint wasn't it? or, how bright it looked when it was new? (pics?!)
When i saw it on display a couple years back the paintjob looked really murky.

Cheers, berlinjive

Re: Keith's 60's LPC moon paint job
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 20, 2019 10:13

I'd been surprised to find that Keith had painted it himself.

If it's a "hobby emamel" paint and keith had been looking around for something to use it was quite likely to have been Humbrol modelling paint.

this would have been the most common & easiest to find stuff the late 60s.

[Those of a certain age will know this... as its the stuff we used to paint our Airfix models or re-paint our Subbuteo players in our favourite team's colours.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-20 10:30 by Spud.

Date: August 20, 2019 11:09

Ya, interesting style he had. Did they make Humbrol in metallic colors back then?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 20, 2019 11:16

Texta pens .……….

ROCKMAN

Date: August 20, 2019 12:21

Looks like same era. imagine Keith & Anita going in here for the paint...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 20, 2019 12:37

berlinjive
Ya, interesting style he had. Did they make Humbrol in metallic colors back then?

Yes they did. I recall having pots in gold, silver and copper .

I don't think Humbrol enamels fade much with age or light...but it's not the world's hardest setting paint so would be dulled over time by wear and grime.

Date: August 20, 2019 12:45

I looked around on-line for Texta pens but their site doesn't sell paint markers... if thats what you meant. Or at least not anymore. Did they make paint markers back then? I was 10 years old then, but in usa. Only model paint in my neck of the woods. But it does look like a paint marker could have been used rather than a brush. Need to dig out my Stones Gear Book for better view.

Anyone else?

Date: August 20, 2019 13:05

I saw the LPC at Saatchi Gallery EXHIBITIONISM exhibit. The light wasn't bright by any means in that particular room, which i appreciated... And it did look like enamel paint. But ya, the axe had not been kept playable condition (unfortunately). And looked like it had been stored in a coal cellar for the last 40 years. The painting, as the guitar, did have a film over it to the best of my recollection. But i do recall thinking "that paint job doesn't look like any guitar polish will help that thing".

Anyone snap pics of it at Saatchi they could put up here? That would be grand to see again. I tried searing it into my memory bank... but...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 20, 2019 13:46

My fav part of Exhibitionism. Stared at this thing for so long both times I went in London.

What makes you think it's not in playable condition? He switched the original Super Klusons to Grovers in mid 1969. The SKs or similar have replaced the Grovers.

Keith's Les Paul Custom - large photo

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 20, 2019 13:53

berlinjive
Looks like same era. imagine Keith & Anita going in here for the paint...

I remember this !

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 20, 2019 13:54

Wasn't this guitar nicked from Nellcote ? and then gotten back a while later in Amsterdam ?

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: August 20, 2019 17:28

Thanks HM for the big pic.

Though I already have many pics of that guitar
I guess it's the best shot of it I've seen so far.

Date: August 20, 2019 19:33

WoW... just wow. i assume that's from the Saachi. OK, well one of us was in a coal cellar the last 40 years and i know it wasn... nevermind.

Good camera or phone. That axe case had a spotlight from the top didn't it?
So which of the other Les Pauls had the pole screws way up and a bit bent? Maybe it was that one. Ah but i definitely remember (ha ha) it was a P-90, come to think of it. It is grand to see the moon guitar again. And looks playable indeed.

Some bigly-songed guitar there looked neglected which i was surprised by. Such is a lifetime of searing stuff into my memory blank toll.

Back to the painting.

Were there Texta paint pens back in the day? Or be it Humbrol pot colors. Ask Keith? Get the Shroud of Turin folks? HM's photo shows no circular initial brush-contact places. almost like it's been pushed around/scratchy in places. Quite deft that man. I've used the back of a small paintbrush at times but only as an effect here & there.

Contemporary paint-pens are most likely the thing to reproduce that look nowadays, but if it is Humbrol, pens will really mess up the sound.

Date: August 20, 2019 19:42

His Majesty, any chance of bombing a couple more other Saachi Gibsons? smileys with beer

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 20, 2019 19:52

Just found it via a good ol shmoogle search.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 20, 2019 20:10

Apparently Jim Barber did some work on the guitar in 1982 where he changed tuners and added strap locks as Keith wanted to use it again for Undercover studio sessions.

Mathijs

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: August 20, 2019 20:33

Mathijs
Apparently Jim Barber did some work on the guitar in 1982 where he changed tuners and added strap locks as Keith wanted to use it again for Undercover studio sessions.

Mathijs

Mathijs, I thought this Les Paul Custom was one of the guitars stolen in the Nellcote robbery, and that Keith only got it back in 2005.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 20, 2019 20:40

stevecardi
Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs, I thought this Les Paul Custom was one of the guitars stolen in the Nellcote robbery, and that Keith only got it back in 2005.

No, the story is that he left it at a repair shop in Canada and got it back 10 years later.

Mathijs

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 20, 2019 23:33

Possibly used nail polish? It is what George Harrison used to do the detailed art on his Rocky Stratocaster.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1964
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home