Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 84
Re: No Filter Tour 2020
Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: October 18, 2019 21:50

wonderboy
Of course it's greed. Many bands make a good living touring stadiums, or even clubs.
And many, many people in life make career decisions that don't involve maximizing revenue.

Of course? From where do you know that? That's grown from your own mind.

And I don't agree.

Why?

It's simple: if you were above 70 and well done with all, financially secure - why still travel, why still bother with all the let downs of touring?

If the band tours, it has to be financially viable, otherwise there won't be any tour - as simple as that.

But all that wouldn't happen, if they weren't true musicians, if they wouldn't truly love to play for fans and themselves.

I mean really ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-18 21:51 by waterrats.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 18, 2019 22:49

smileys with beer
Hairball
powerage78
Toronto 2003, AC/DC stole the show spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Forgot about that one powerage, and while I wasn't there, a majority of people who were said the same.
Blame it on Timberlake....smiling smiley

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: October 18, 2019 22:50

Irix
Gaetzi

Where in Halifax did they play?

Halifax Commons, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, Saturday September 23, 2006 - [iorr.org] .

I went to the Halifax Bigger Bang tour. Fun time, but yeah - the weather (which often clears before they hit the stage) was crazy. Luckily it was the one BB show I sprung for the 'on-stage' tix, up above that stage, which 'Gimme Shelter.' Still remember I was able to see the cars pull up behind the stage, and them run right out, and jump right into it.

Posted by: Travman87 ()
Date: October 19, 2019 00:09

Hey everyone

What is the situation regarding a potential end of tour show in London? Is that still a rumour?? I'd love to see the Stones live here again. Seen them 7 times already but just can't get enough of this incredible band.

Is Wembley stadium a possibly? Can't believe Mick and the boys have not been there since it re-opened 12 years ago

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 19, 2019 00:25

Travman87

What is the situation regarding a potential end of tour show in London? Is that still a rumour??

Same (unanswered) question here: [iorr.org] .

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: October 19, 2019 00:36

Am I the only one that gives my head a shake every so often about a band touring at their ages? Dont get me wrong I think it's fantastic. It just blows me away. Not just tour but full stadiums. I'm 52 and last show I saw was 2006 Ottawa. Who is filling these stadiums? I see very few shows anymore, usually Dylan when he comes to Toronto.
We are all very fortunate to be Stones fans. No other band in history comes close to what they provide us.
Unfortunately life has taken a few negative turns and I can't afford to see them anymore but I love checking set lists and reading reviews.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 19, 2019 01:21

waterrats
All of this discussions is interesting.

But what I am still in absolute awe is, is the fact, that The Rolling Stones can be considered to add yet another tour to their history.

It's like a wonder. Actually, I don't care where they play, as long as they do play.

Can't wait for another announcement!

smileys with beer

smileys with beer

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: October 19, 2019 01:43

syrel
PalaisRoyale
I imagine we will find out in the not too distant future. Did the last No Filter announcement not come out around the US Thanksgiving?

Yes, but it was weirdly early - like there was a risk of a leak, to my mind - I wouldn't expect any official announcement until well into new year (Feb/Mar), but that is speculation on my part.

syrel

Deadline for announcement might be when ever Jazzfest is traditionally announced.
That is if they are planning on performing there.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 19, 2019 02:05

swimtothemoon
syrel
PalaisRoyale
I imagine we will find out in the not too distant future. Did the last No Filter announcement not come out around the US Thanksgiving?

Yes, but it was weirdly early - like there was a risk of a leak, to my mind - I wouldn't expect any official announcement until well into new year (Feb/Mar), but that is speculation on my part.

syrel

Deadline for announcement might be when ever Jazzfest is traditionally announced.
That is if they are planning on performing there.

Good point.
JF announced the lineup on Jan. 15th for 2019.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 19, 2019 02:22

waterrats
wonderboy
Of course it's greed. Many bands make a good living touring stadiums, or even clubs.
And many, many people in life make career decisions that don't involve maximizing revenue.

Of course? From where do you know that? That's grown from your own mind.

And I don't agree.

Why?

It's simple: if you were above 70 and well done with all, financially secure - why still travel, why still bother with all the let downs of touring?

If the band tours, it has to be financially viable, otherwise there won't be any tour - as simple as that.

But all that wouldn't happen, if they weren't true musicians, if they wouldn't truly love to play for fans and themselves.

I mean really ...

Gotta agree with water rats here, they still do it because they’re a band, that’s what bands do, they play live. No way does greed motivate Mick Jagger back onstage after heart surgery, it’s commitment to fans, the band, the music, and @#$%& sure he’s happy with the money. But it’s not his motivation at this point. Blue and lonesome shows who the stones are at heart. A band playing.

I was at the gig in Seattle with a few different people. 4 never saw the stones before and for them there are no warhorses. It’s all brand new. Some had seen them up to 60-70 times and still loved different parts of the show.

It’s not 1972, but people want to see them and the stones like to play. And still sound like a BAND. It’s there warts and all, them and what’s onstage. A lot of other bands are using pre recorded tracks, vocals, etc etc.

When Keith @#$%& Up the intro to JJF or whatever, it’s 100% him messing it up. And I’m ok with that. Because he’ll put me in heaven a few mins or seconds later. And that’s the beauty of a real live band.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 19, 2019 02:28

They should get all the way Downunder whilst they’re.. younger! Then do their northern hemisphere when they get.. older! ;-)

Rod

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: October 19, 2019 14:53

Travman87
Hey everyone

What is the situation regarding a potential end of tour show in London? Is that still a rumour?? I'd love to see the Stones live here again. Seen them 7 times already but just can't get enough of this incredible band.

Is Wembley stadium a possibly? Can't believe Mick and the boys have not been there since it re-opened 12 years ago

Have you seen a concert by any artist there since the rebuild? The sound is poor in most parts of the stadium. It has an echo. I do believe the Stones will return to London for Stadium shows at some point but it won’t be there.

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: October 19, 2019 14:55

grzegorz67
Travman87
Hey everyone

Have you seen a concert by any artist there since the rebuild? The sound is poor in most parts of the stadium. It has an echo. I do believe the Stones will return to London for Stadium shows at some point but it won’t be there.

Wembley really is bad.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: October 19, 2019 15:04

WelshEdge1
grzegorz67
Travman87
Hey everyone

Wembley really is bad.

I saw the Who there in July. It’s good value in that you get 2 concerts for the price of 1. The actual concert and the echo a split second later. It’s grim, the Stones will be well aware of it and I don’t expect the band to darken Wembley’s doorstep again.

Posted by: massmick ()
Date: October 19, 2019 19:35

Wembley really is bad.[/quote]

I saw the Who there in July. It’s good value in that you get 2 concerts for the price of 1. The actual concert and the echo a split second later. It’s grim, the Stones will be well aware of it and I don’t expect the band to darken Wembley’s doorstep again.[/quote]

Two for one...hahaha
Good one!

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: October 20, 2019 00:44

Travman87
Hey everyone

It's not even a rumor from what I understand.

Posted by: MLH ()
Date: October 20, 2019 02:08

Totally. You bet. Personally, I'm holding out hope for the 60 and counting tour, and I don't care where it is.

Posted by: northernale1 ()
Date: October 20, 2019 03:11

powerage78
smileys with beer
Hairball
powerage78

Forgot about that one powerage, and while I wasn't there, a majority of people who were said the same.

I was there,,
It wasnt that AC/DC stole the show,,,
it was a long hot day, and by the time the stones came on, most were worried about transportation, as Toronto does not have the best transportation system where the show was located ,,

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: October 20, 2019 09:00

HAWAII 2020 - (FOR AUSTRALIA & JAPAN)

Date: October 20, 2019 09:39

DREAMTIME

Been a couple of years since I've been to Hawaii.
My wife and I used to go two-three times a year - might be a good time to go back...ALOHA!

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: October 20, 2019 17:50

bv
How about 14 shows at MSG? Or 14 shows at Roseland Ballroom? I don't think so. It is unfair to all those fans who can't afford $600 to $1,000 tickets at MSG, and to all those who do not get a ticket, when shows sell out in minutes, rather than hours.

Bjornulf, what you describe with a certain irony is just what they call concert residency. While I'm not either a fan, there are two positive sides in it, because of travelling equal to zero.

You might expect the band is in better shape (but maybe less inspired) because they don't have to cope with the millage.

You also might see a certain amount of the ticket price to drop, also because they would no need all these transportation of the band, and fifty trucks or so, and also these guys to assemble and dismount the stage.

This being said, the Stones, because of their raucous style, don't fit in the category of musical acts we expect for concert residency... Be it Aznavour or Aerosmith, which plan over 20 residency shows until May [www.aerosmith.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-21 09:30 by The Joker.

Date: October 20, 2019 17:56

Hairball
DREAMTIME

Been a couple of years since I've been to Hawaii.
My wife and I used to go two-three times a year - might be a good time to go back...ALOHA!

Wow wee. Could prob do a couple there then. If that is the thought. I wonder if that would have to be like the first or the last show of the tour if true

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-20 17:57 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Posted by: bradleycsocal ()
Date: October 20, 2019 18:28

T-Mobile Arena in Vegas would make sense as a residency. Vegas is a destination for world travelers. It might make financial sense but I think The Stones still like conquering cities as they tour. The band might lose their sense of urgency to impress and grow stale.....I loved the last tour and was planning on going to New Zealand but the States would be much simpler. Wherever it is I have to go. How amazing it is to have first seen The Stones at 18 and then at 57 with a chance for more shows!!!!

Date: October 20, 2019 20:26

bradleycsocal
T-Mobile Arena in Vegas would make sense as a residency. Vegas is a destination for world travelers. It might make financial sense but I think The Stones still like conquering cities as they tour. The band might lose their sense of urgency to impress and grow stale.....I loved the last tour and was planning on going to New Zealand but the States would be much simpler. Wherever it is I have to go. How amazing it is to have first seen The Stones at 18 and then at 57 with a chance for more shows!!!!

Even though nearly brand new, T-Mobile is not the greatest venue imo. There's a sterility that many brand new arenas suffer from - maybe after 25 -30 years or so when it's properly "broken in" lol. Then there's the upper level seats where it's as steep and dangerous as standing on the ledge of the Grand Canyon, and according to some who have sat up there the sound is horrible. And while we might think Vegas would make for a proper residency, one only needs to look back at 2016 when they had difficulty even selling two shows at T-Mobile arena. They were the only two US shows of 2016 right after Desert Trip (along with a couple of private shows), and seemed a no-brainer they would sell very well, but not the case. Yes tickets were outrageously overpriced (all floor and front lower level at apprx. $800) which might have hampered sales, but even when there were price drops in several sections, there were still plenty of tickets avialable. And keep in mind, this was well before Mick became sick. If there ever is a residency in Vegas, the solution might be to change venues and lower prices. The smaller MGM arena has always been fantastic, but they might need to go even smaller than that if they want to sell out multiple dates - and again, lower the prices to something somewhat reasonable. But Stones residencies anywhere will probably never happen - at least in the near future. As you said, the Stones still like conquering cities as they tour and they might lose their sense of urgency to impress and grow stale. To quote Curtis Mayfield: "Lord, I've got to keep on moving..."

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: October 21, 2019 05:10

northernale1
powerage78
smileys with beer
Hairball
powerage78

I was there,,
it was a long hot day, and by the time the stones came on, most were worried about transportation, as Toronto does not have the best transportation system where the show was located ,,

I grew up beside Downsview AFB, the TTC isn't far. AC/DC did steal the show.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 21, 2019 07:10

DREAMTIME

WHERE has THIS come from? Or is it actually A Dreamtime, Dreamtime?

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-21 07:10 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 21, 2019 08:15

If I don’t mention a Van****er show, it might happen!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: October 21, 2019 10:45

bitusa2012
DREAMTIME

All I know is that Dreamtime over and over has showed that he knows what he's talking about and seems to be very well informed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-21 10:47 by Thommie.

Posted by: PalaisRoyale ()
Date: October 21, 2019 12:30

roller99
northernale1
powerage78
smileys with beer
Hairball
powerage78

I was there,,

I grew up beside Downsview AFB, the TTC isn't far. AC/DC did steal the show.

To be fair,and BV has commented on this before, the stones were in the middle of touring Europe for Forty Lick's and this was sprung on them with short notice to come back and perform in Canada. The majority of the 500,000 concert goers were not die hard stones fans but typical large festival crowd who were there to see the many cross section of acts.
Long story short, by the time the stones came on after a hot jammed July day and yes after a powerhouse group like ACDC, they seemed a little flat or over shadowed. It's a little hard to go head to head with Thunderstruck with Ruby Tuesday. The stones setlist was condensed also to 16 songs and Justin Timberlake didn't help matters either.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 21, 2019 12:41

bitusa2012
DREAMTIME

Please treat every post and person on IORR with respect. We should be greatful for any info as given by others here.

I would never give out any information about my own sources, so I do not understand why anyone might expect or request others to give out similar info, who they talk to, where they get inside info from, usually that is not to be shared of course.

Bjornulf

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 84

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1671
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home