Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 84
Re: No Filter Tour 2020
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 18, 2019 15:37

bv

Most fans can't travel to NYC or anywhere else far away, where hotel and travel cost add up to thousands of dollars. They want to have the Stones in their home town.

... like cities in Australia, like Perth?

Rod

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 18, 2019 16:21

bitusa2012
bv

Most fans can't travel to NYC or anywhere else far away, where hotel and travel cost add up to thousands of dollars. They want to have the Stones in their home town.

... like cities in Australia, like Perth?

The only way to do shows in Perth is to have a tour in Asia and Oceania. Then the next challence is how far away is Pert from any other city in the area. As far as I remember, Perth is a great city, I love Perth, two shows, black swans, by the river, sure I miss Perth, but it is a long 5 hours flight to Sydney. They might do another multi-city tour of Australia, but I hear Metallica and U2 do not sell well in Australia, then I assume the bean counters of any promorer are scared away. Even the very strong STONES brand might not sell as many hight priced tickets as needed to pay for a stadium tour in Australia.

If you take any US city, and check how many cities you may cover with a flight of 4-5 hours, it is the entire USA, except for Alaska and Hawaii. Then add the fact that 60% of all fans visiting IORR on a daily basis do live in USA, then you see how strong the market is in USA for the Stones.

Bjornulf

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: October 18, 2019 17:05

stargroover
Micawber my sensitive little friend,I have probably seen more shows in a single tour than you have since 1982.And I have never seen a poor performance whether it’s pissing it down in Sheffield or cracking flags in Havana.

I am sure your loyalty to the band makes you feel good and they will be pleased with you.
It’s time they radically changed the set list and dug out the real gems that diehard fans want to here. Shake things up !Perform an entire album as they did with Sticky Fingers.
They got that much dosh they don’t need it anymore.Yet they will sacrifice their musical genius and art for easy bucks.
What about the fans in Auz and Asia who will miss out on shows cause of their greed at an easy USA predictable tour?
Yes they are still my favourite band after near on 40 years,but they are still open to criticism .
So Micawber ,calm down ,try and roll yourself a joint and put on Chantilly lace and think of 1982.

Beside your post being demeaning, you miss the fact that the majority of fans are casual fans, not diehard fans. It's just that diehard fans are much more fervent about the setlist. Greed has NOTHING at all to do with where the band plays, in which countries, cities, and facilities. It's a computer algorithm and there's very little human intervention.

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: October 18, 2019 17:08

Not sure if bv was just casually tossing out hypothetical spots the Stones could play but Halifax, Nova Scotia would be wild!

Date: October 18, 2019 17:30

bv
How about 14 shows at MSG? Or 14 shows at Roseland Ballroom? I don't think so. It is unfair to all those fans who can't afford $600 to $1,000 tickets at MSG, and to all those who do not get a ticket, when shows sell out in minutes, rather than hours.

Another stadium tour, like 2017, 2018, 2019, that is what is working for most normal fans. You go to work Monday to Friday every week. You work hard, and then you hear the Stones are coming to town. You are a fan, so you spend a lot of energy to get that ticket. Then you get the ticket, and you ask your boss for a day of, to have all day off show day. Then you plan for the show every day until they arrive. It is the biggest day of the year, of any year, in years.

Most fans can't travel to NYC or anywhere else far away, where hotel and travel cost add up to thousands of dollars. They want to have the Stones in their home town. They want to see the Stones in places like Wichita and Regina and Halifax and Louisville and Detroit and Dallas and San Diego. And that is what we will get. Another great stadium tour where close to a million fans will be able to see the Stones near their own homes. Just a kiss away!

I would live to see the Stones in an arena....but they are a great stadium band. And I love them in a full stadium.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 18, 2019 17:40

The Stones USED TO PLAY arenas AND stadiums! What changed? For those of us wanting to see a far better show ( in my opinion) with no threats of bad weather and awesome sound, we will pay a tiny bit more for that experience...we'll see ONE fabulous show as opposed to three stadium shows. I actually am not a fan of enormous crowds so MSG is perfect...we should have that choice.

Re: What's next, after No Filter???
Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 18, 2019 17:45

Sad to say but the bottom line is the Almighty Dollar....that is the real reason we're not seeing an occasional show at Madison Square Garden or the Boston Garden, now TD BANK....very sad reality. I know exactly what some will say to that....." be happy they tour at all.."....and I agree that it is a miracle that the Stones are still on the road...and playing so incredibly well...BUT if they wanted to, they COULD toss in a few large arenas. I will continue to HOPE it happens.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 18, 2019 17:58

roller99......greed has a lot to do with where the band plays .They play lucrative markets.
If they were not wanting a big pay cheque then they would share their wonderful music in poorer countries.

Date: October 18, 2019 18:06

I've seen the Stones four times in arenas and four times in stadiums. I think everyone appreciates the 'smaller, more intimate' venue when it comes to a live performance but the Stones are still packing stadiums! Their sound is so dialed these days and with the stage set up they have, I really can't even complain about them playing stadiums. The Stones are larger than life and the No Filter tour continues to be proof of that.

Posted by: JDSAM1994 ()
Date: October 18, 2019 18:24

Whats great about the big outdoor stadiums is that they can really blast the sound super loud.If you were at the NOLA show in July you probably noticed that the sound was turned down because it was inside. I was able to easily talk to the person next to me where at other outdoor stadiums id have to scream in someones ear. I really like hearing them as loud as possible.

Also we get to hear sound check at outdoor stadiums. Being at solider field for sound check those two days was just so awesome. Especially the second day with the fog rolling in off of lake Michigan.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: October 18, 2019 18:26

Gaetzi
Not sure if bv was just casually tossing out hypothetical spots the Stones could play but Halifax, Nova Scotia would be wild!

I won't say The Stones owe Halifax, because they don't owe anyone, but Halifax should get another show after what happened in 2006. Decent weather during the week, and even on show day. Then it went downhill when the concert started. By the time The Stones came on, it was a full blown torrential downpour. Stones braved it out, but their set was cut short about 20-minutes. Halifax was all ready to make it a great night. Businesses were staying open extra late, etc, etc.

Date: October 18, 2019 18:55

I used to live on the coast of Maine and have spent a bit of time in Nova Scotia. Where in Halifax did they play?

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: October 18, 2019 19:07

I'm really surprised to see speculation they might do JazzFest after just doing New Orleans but if the tour schedule leads them from there to the new dome in Atlanta in early May I'm all in for that!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 18, 2019 19:19

bv
How about 14 shows at MSG? Or 14 shows at Roseland Ballroom? I don't think so. It is unfair to all those fans who can't afford $600 to $1,000 tickets at MSG, and to all those who do not get a ticket, when shows sell out in minutes, rather than hours.

Another stadium tour, like 2017, 2018, 2019, that is what is working for most normal fans. You go to work Monday to Friday every week. You work hard, and then you hear the Stones are coming to town. You are a fan, so you spend a lot of energy to get that ticket. Then you get the ticket, and you ask your boss for a day of, to have all day off show day. Then you plan for the show every day until they arrive. It is the biggest day of the year, of any year, in years.ve

Most fans can't travel to NYC or anywhere else far away, where hotel and travel cost add up to thousands of dollars. They want to have the Stones in their home town. They want to see the Stones in places like Wichita and Regina and Halifax and Louisville and Detroit and Dallas and San Diego. And that is what we will get. Another great stadium tour where close to a million fans will be able to see the Stones near their own homes. Just a kiss away!

San Diego is a beautiful city!

And I'd LOVE to see the Stones in Wichita and Louisville as I've never been to them, but realistically (and to your point), I'd prefer closer to home which would include the entire western third of the United States.
Then again, Regina could be a nice option as I've never been to Canada and "The Stones in Saskatchewan" has a nice ring to it.thumbs up

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 18, 2019 19:25

Gaetzi

Where in Halifax did they play?

Halifax Commons, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, Saturday September 23, 2006 - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 18, 2019 20:31

Hairball

San Diego is a beautiful city!

And I'd LOVE to see the Stones in Wichita and Louisville as I've never been to them, but realistically (and to your point), I'd prefer closer to home which would include the entire western third of the United States.
Then again, Regina could be a nice option as I've never been to Canada and "The Stones in Saskatchewan" has a nice ring to it.thumbs up

Hope San Diego is in the cards again as well, Hairball!
Fantastic city for a stones concert!!

If they do some Canadian cities, you gotta make it north for at least one.
Hopefully meet up again in Regina, Vancouver, Calgary etc. eh? cool smiley

Re: What's next, after No Filter???
Date: October 18, 2019 20:39

mickschix
Sad to say but the bottom line is the Almighty Dollar....that is the real reason we're not seeing an occasional show at Madison Square Garden or the Boston Garden, now TD BANK....very sad reality. I know exactly what some will say to that....." be happy they tour at all.."....and I agree that it is a miracle that the Stones are still on the road...and playing so incredibly well...BUT if they wanted to, they COULD toss in a few large arenas. I will continue to HOPE it happens.

Sorry to disagree with you, but the bottom line with the band is not the "Almighty Dollar". It's your perception, and I respect that, everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, every opinion matters. MSG is unlikely because it's owned by the promoter's rival. Sometimes rivals cooperate and make deals, but in this case, not so much. MSG is not the most modern or best venue. We have a similar thing here in Los Angeles with The Forum. They've refurbished both venues, but with The Forum, it's ONLY used for concerts. MSG is still used for sporting events, so there's only so much they can do with it. Maybe it's not suited for The Stones large stage.

Date: October 18, 2019 20:43

stargroover
roller99......greed has a lot to do with where the band plays .They play lucrative markets.
If they were not wanting a big pay cheque then they would share their wonderful music in poorer countries.

Disagree. I have spent hours talking about this with their promoter in a series of interviews I'm doing, and while it does look like it's all about greed, it isn't. What it comes down to is the band will continue to play in lucrative markets with high prices because the fans will continue to pay. It's all based on market research data.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 18, 2019 20:50

Hi Roller99 we are just gonna have to disagree on this.
I am keeping my fingers crossed for Buenos Aires again.There’s nowt better than the Stones at the River Plate.

Date: October 18, 2019 21:01

Seems to me that "the band will continue to play in lucrative markets with high prices because the fans will continue to pay" and "greed" go hand in hand and are pretty much one in the same.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 18, 2019 21:04

Hairball
Seems to me that "the band will continue to play in lucrative markets with high prices because the fans will continue to pay" and "greed" go hand in hand and are pretty much one in the same.

Imagine yourself travelling every third day some 500 - 1.000 km being 75-80 years old!!!!

Date: October 18, 2019 21:07

mtaylor
Hairball

Imagine yourself travelling every third day some 500 - 1.000 km being 75-80 years old!!!!

In a private jet to 5 star hotels with all the luxuries?
Sounds like a nice retirement plan, and would love to be able to do that when I'm that age - health permitting of course.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 18, 2019 21:11

Hairball
mtaylor
Hairball

Sounds like a nice retirement plan, and would love to be able to do that when I'm that age - health permitting of course.
Sounds exotic, but tiresome. Travelling myself every week for work - not too funny.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: October 18, 2019 21:11

I've heard of the greed thing turned backwards as in "if there's this many people willing to pay this much money to see you, it's your duty to perform for them."

Date: October 18, 2019 21:20

mtaylor
Hairball
mtaylor
Hairball

Sounds exotic, but tiresome. Travelling myself every week for work - not too funny.

I take it you don't fly in a private jet and stay in 5 star hotels with all the luxuries, being pampered from city to city and perform in front of thousands of adoring fans while getting paid millions of dollars in the process.
As Keith says "it's still fun", and if they didn't enjoy it they wouldn't do it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-18 21:20 by Hairball.

Posted by: dnewton99 ()
Date: October 18, 2019 21:23

Just an interesting perspective on all the tour costs in the article "where does concert ticket money go". I am sure the Stones are not really wanting the money from the tour per se given how wealthy they are but after all the costs for touring they don't want to have to pay money to tour because expenses exceed revenue. Plus others in the mix such as promoters, mgmt companies, labels will only kick in their portion of costs if they know they will get it back.. I wish I would have realized how rare the Arena tours a few years were and gone to more that tour.. smiling smileyeye popping smiley

[www.theguardian.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-18 21:24 by dnewton99.

Date: October 18, 2019 21:25

Hairball

I suppose one could draw that conclusion. The thing is, that if everyone en masse stopped purchasing tickets at high prices, then the prices would drop. It's like an IPO with the stock market. The promoter sets the price for the tickets. Some end up on the secondary market, and some stay with the promoter. If there's low interest, they drop the prices. They never raise them over what the tickets originally sold for.

If you had a product that you sold, and you knew it was overpriced, but people kept buying it, would you continue to sell it?

Date: October 18, 2019 21:26

Hairball
mtaylor
Hairball
mtaylor
Hairball

I take it you don't fly in a private jet and stay in 5 star hotels with all the luxuries, being pampered from city to city and perform in front of thousands of adoring fans while getting paid millions of dollars in the process.
As Keith says "it's still fun", and if they didn't enjoy it they wouldn't do it.

I guess flying in private jets and staying in 5 star hotels is reserved for Onlystones and his hovercraft. Remember that one?

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 18, 2019 21:31

Of course it's greed. Many bands make a good living touring stadiums, or even clubs.
And many, many people in life make career decisions that don't involve maximizing revenue.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: October 18, 2019 21:45

All of this discussions is interesting.

But what I am still in absolute awe is, is the fact, that The Rolling Stones can be considered to add yet another tour to their history.

It's like a wonder. Actually, I don't care where they play, as long as they do play.

Can't wait for another announcement!

smileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 84

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1989
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home