Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 84
Re: No Filter Tour 2020
Posted by: micawber ()
Date: October 17, 2019 16:28

stargroover
If you look at the set lists over the last few tours you might be able to see a pattern Micawber.Failing that get someone of a reasonable intellect to explain it to you.

I was at at least one gig of any of the tours since 1982.
And every of them was a blast with great music, great people - just a great time.
I don't care about setlists. There's not many Stones songs I don't like, so I'm happy with any of them.

If you can't, don't. And get a life.

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: October 17, 2019 16:28

bv
WelshEdge1
1985jayer
if the usa gets another tour. i would expect them to play Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, it holds around 106,000 and could easily be the biggest show next tour. remember that some college stadiums are much larger then pro football ones. fingers crossed for more shows next year....

Would there be enough demand though?

Yes.

To play a market like that in a huge stadium like that? With ticket prices being as they are? That’s what I was trying to say.

No doubt it will be highly successful overall

Posted by: 1985jayer ()
Date: October 17, 2019 17:08

Local markets would be Detroit, Indy, Cleveland. All those fans in those cities would make the drive to Ann Arbor. I saw Man Utd vs Barcelona at michigan stadium, sold out and biggest ever crowd for a soccer game in usa. my wish is they add a smaller size venue on this tour like the Milwaukee show with Buddy Guy, that was 25,000. They could do Alpine Valley in WI. that holds 36,000. saw many stones shows there. Maybe even Wrigley Field would be cool since thats 6 blocks from my house...

WelshEdge1
bv
WelshEdge1
1985jayer
if the usa gets another tour. i would expect them to play Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, it holds around 106,000 and could easily be the biggest show next tour. remember that some college stadiums are much larger then pro football ones. fingers crossed for more shows next year....

Would there be enough demand though?

Yes.

To play a market like that in a huge stadium like that? With ticket prices being as they are? That’s what I was trying to say.

No doubt it will be highly successful overall

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: October 17, 2019 17:54

stargroover
Same market + same set list = Boring

Then stay home.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 17, 2019 18:29

Looking forward, very interesting tour schedule

[iorr.org]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 17, 2019 18:48

MisterDDDD
Hairball
I think MisterDDDD is right though as there was a article stating a way to scale down the giant screens and reduce the stage size itself for arenas.
Similar to what Roger Waters did his The Wall tour, only he did it in reverse going from arenas to massive stadiums.
Will they decide to scale down and play arenas instead of massive stadiums? Would be great, but highly doubt it.

Stufish Entertainment Architects who designed the No Filter stage also designed Roger Waters Wall stage...
[www.stufish.com]

There was a more detailed article showing how it could be adapted for smaller indoor spaces that they either changed or I can't find. Interesting in some other earlier articles about the stage design they also talk about a "b" stage aspect to it, long before we saw the b stage debut in NA, so maybe we'll see the stage adapted for smaller venues..

"These are 6 metres long by 2.5 wide in the largest format and can be broken down in 2 x 2.5 metre sections to accommodate variable stage spaces they might encounter on the indoor shows "
[www.wicreations.com]

I see under "Projects" (and there are many of them !), AC/DC's Rock or Bust Tour went from massive stadiums (AC) to smaller arenas (DC).

"ACDC launched their 2016 arena tour in Tacoma Washington February 2nd and thus continue indoors with the hugely successful “Rock or Bust” tour
Back in September of 2015, Stufish was asked to turn the successful stadium design into an arena show. The brief was to fit the show into a smaller arena format without losing any of the impact that the design delivered in the Stadia. To achieve this, Stufish adapted the iconic centre arch to keep the feel of the grunge deconstructed look that was synonymous with this tour. The side screens and their fascia where abandoned in favour of smaller arena friendly screens. The outcome was a more compact but equally evocative ACDC set that will see the band tour the US for the next few months in front of thousands of adoring fans".

If AC/DC can do it, the Stones can do it.
Anything AC/DC can do, the Stones can do better.
Anything AC/DC has ever done, the Stones have always done better!

It's not inconceivable that the Stones could revisit their Licks strategy playing stadiums, arenas, and a few clubs/theaters along the way - mixing up the setlists while they're at it.

For instance:
The new L.A. football stadium.
The L.A. Forum - literally next door.
As for theaters, there are dozens to choose from. From the newish Dolby Theater in Hollywood opened in 2001 (where the Academy Awards are held), to the classic Pantages Theater opened in 1930 (Academy Awards were also held there in the past). And then there's the Fonda, the Wiltern, etc., etc., etc. As for clubs, the skies the limit, and The Troubador with a capacity of 500 would fit the bill nicely.

Am I dreaming? Maybe, but it's probably not as farfetched as thinking a new album will be finished prior to any upcoming tour. winking smiley

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 17, 2019 19:14

Micawber my sensitive little friend,I have probably seen more shows in a single tour than you have since 1982.And I have never seen a poor performance whether it’s pissing it down in Sheffield or cracking flags in Havana.

I am sure your loyalty to the band makes you feel good and they will be pleased with you.
It’s time they radically changed the set list and dug out the real gems that diehard fans want to here. Shake things up !Perform an entire album as they did with Sticky Fingers.
They got that much dosh they don’t need it anymore.Yet they will sacrifice their musical genius and art for easy bucks.
What about the fans in Auz and Asia who will miss out on shows cause of their greed at an easy USA predictable tour?
Yes they are still my favourite band after near on 40 years,but they are still open to criticism .
So Micawber ,calm down ,try and roll yourself a joint and put on Chantilly lace and think of 1982.

Date: October 17, 2019 19:26

I'm afraid it's probably too late for the Stones to makes all the changes you wish for stargroover .
They're coasting on their legacy and in to the sunset - no point in pretending they'll reinvent the wheel any time soon.

Date: October 17, 2019 19:51

BV, can you make this thread a sticky again? Thanks in advance!

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: October 17, 2019 20:14

Interesting change in tour rumors over the last week! As a US resident I'd selfishly be happy to see more US shows but if that is the plan it'd be cool if they stretched it out w more shows in Canada and maybe a few in Mexico. start south then head north?

Re: What's next, after No Filter???
Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 17, 2019 21:15

YES!!! ARENA TOUR, 4 or 5 shows at Madison Square Garden....easy to get to, they'll get huge bucks per ticket, there can be an HBO televised event, and I'll BE IN HEAVEN!

Date: October 17, 2019 21:16

mtaylor
Looking forward, very interesting tour schedule

[iorr.org]

Clickbait = banishment smoking smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 17, 2019 21:18

Gaetzi
Interesting change in tour rumors over the last week! As a US resident I'd selfishly be happy to see more US shows but if that is the plan it'd be cool if they stretched it out w more shows in Canada and maybe a few in Mexico. start south then head north?

Probably south to north would be a decent guess, based on the rumored make up spot at Jazz Fest and that being in early May.. (also assuming they would play the second weekend of JF based on the plan for last year's).

Also likely it would include numerous dates north of the border and a few south imo.
I know I'm getting ahead of things, but if they do play JF, I've already booked a refundable hotel for each of the two four day weekends..cool smiley

Date: October 17, 2019 22:21

mickschix
YES!!! ARENA TOUR, 4 or 5 shows at Madison Square Garden....easy to get to, they'll get huge bucks per ticket, there can be an HBO televised event, and I'll BE IN HEAVEN!

Too much work for the same amount of money you could do in one show.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 17, 2019 22:57

Certainly not in Toronto 2003, AC/DC stole the show spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Hairball
MisterDDDD
Hairball
I think MisterDDDD is right though as there was a article stating a way to scale down the giant screens and reduce the stage size itself for arenas.
Similar to what Roger Waters did his The Wall tour, only he did it in reverse going from arenas to massive stadiums.
Will they decide to scale down and play arenas instead of massive stadiums? Would be great, but highly doubt it.

Stufish Entertainment Architects who designed the No Filter stage also designed Roger Waters Wall stage...
[www.stufish.com]

There was a more detailed article showing how it could be adapted for smaller indoor spaces that they either changed or I can't find. Interesting in some other earlier articles about the stage design they also talk about a "b" stage aspect to it, long before we saw the b stage debut in NA, so maybe we'll see the stage adapted for smaller venues..

"These are 6 metres long by 2.5 wide in the largest format and can be broken down in 2 x 2.5 metre sections to accommodate variable stage spaces they might encounter on the indoor shows "
[www.wicreations.com]

I see under "Projects" (and there are many of them !), AC/DC's Rock or Bust Tour went from massive stadiums (AC) to smaller arenas (DC).

"ACDC launched their 2016 arena tour in Tacoma Washington February 2nd and thus continue indoors with the hugely successful “Rock or Bust” tour
Back in September of 2015, Stufish was asked to turn the successful stadium design into an arena show. The brief was to fit the show into a smaller arena format without losing any of the impact that the design delivered in the Stadia. To achieve this, Stufish adapted the iconic centre arch to keep the feel of the grunge deconstructed look that was synonymous with this tour. The side screens and their fascia where abandoned in favour of smaller arena friendly screens. The outcome was a more compact but equally evocative ACDC set that will see the band tour the US for the next few months in front of thousands of adoring fans".

If AC/DC can do it, the Stones can do it.
Anything AC/DC can do, the Stones can do better.

Anything AC/DC has ever done, the Stones have always done better!

It's not inconceivable that the Stones could revisit their Licks strategy playing stadiums, arenas, and a few clubs/theaters along the way - mixing up the setlists while they're at it.

For instance:
The new L.A. football stadium.
The L.A. Forum - literally next door.
As for theaters, there are dozens to choose from. From the newish Dolby Theater in Hollywood opened in 2001 (where the Academy Awards are held), to the classic Pantages Theater opened in 1930 (Academy Awards were also held there in the past). And then there's the Fonda, the Wiltern, etc., etc., etc. As for clubs, the skies the limit, and The Troubador with a capacity of 500 would fit the bill nicely.

Am I dreaming? Maybe, but it's probably not as farfetched as thinking a new album will be finished prior to any upcoming tour. winking smiley

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: October 17, 2019 23:09

stargroover
Yet they will sacrifice their musical genius and art for easy bucks.

I disagree. In my opinion the Stones play exactly what they want to play. And I imagine they love their big hits and they love when thousands of people go nuts when they play Miss You. So they will continue to do it.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: October 17, 2019 23:11

There was talk here that they were going to do a few nights at the Garden this year but that quickly changed to Met Life. I saw their last show at the Garden. Little did I know it was apparently the *last* show there. Hope I'm proven wrong. They could charge some serious coin and still sell out.

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: October 17, 2019 23:41

stargroover
Yet they will sacrifice their musical genius and art for easy bucks.

Have you only just realised this? They did so in the 1960s. And the 1970s. And the 1980s. And the 1990s. And... This band has always combined art and money, it's one of the things that makes them so interesting.

syrel

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: October 17, 2019 23:49

If they did arenas this time around it would make a lot of sense as to how and why they'd be touring the US again.

Date: October 17, 2019 23:57

powerage78
Toronto 2003, AC/DC stole the show spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Forgot about that one powerage, and while I wasn't there, a majority of people who were said the same.
Blame it on Timberlake....smiling smiley

Date: October 18, 2019 00:02

micawber
We should be thankful for every gig they (can) do.
I can't stand the forever-setlist-moaners and sh*% like that.

Nobody must buy tickets and go to the gigs, if he don't want to.
So mustn't you. But keep this to yourself, and keep us away from your frustrations of life. Thank you.

Nobody knows about the setlists 2020, not even themselves, I'm sure.
Maybe there'll be a new album? Who knows?

I hope that The Stones will promote the new studio album starting in United States with a new tour when they can release It. At this moment, nobody knows what will happen, but I feel so happy and grateful to know that there will be new shows coming soon at it will be amazing

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-18 00:04 by DiegoGlimmerStones.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 18, 2019 00:48

There have been difficulties for a couple months now making the tour of Asia and Oceania feasible. Not every market was willing to sign on for only three shows and were demanding five instead which would mean locking out other countries. This is not news. There are other factors including a desire to keep the number of shows to 15 or so. There are security concerns. There is a need for the markets to be economically feasible. People talk about the Stones having more than enough money as if a tour does not involve an organization of a few hundred people who have to be paid. Europe received tours in 2017 and 2018, but the thought of the US seeing more shows is a result of greed? It may very well be that the recent meeting with Don Was and Universal has convinced them they can deliver a strong album before next summer and that as a result Asia and Oceania are now possibilities for 2021.

Purely speculation on my part. Wait and see.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: October 18, 2019 01:34

Rocky Dijon
It may very well be that the recent meeting with Don Was and Universal has convinced them they can deliver a strong album before next summer and that as a result Asia and Oceania are now possibilities for 2021.

Rocky Dijon..That would be great if they toured here in 2021 but probably makes more sense to The Stones to tour here next time around with their anniversary tour than to come all the way down here in 2021 then to come back in something like 12 months for their 60th Anniversary

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-18 01:36 by colonial.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 18, 2019 01:39

Rocky Dijon
There have been difficulties for a couple months now making the tour of Asia and Oceania feasible. Not every market was willing to sign on for only three shows and were demanding five instead which would mean locking out other countries. This is not news. There are other factors including a desire to keep the number of shows to 15 or so. There are security concerns. There is a need for the markets to be economically feasible. People talk about the Stones having more than enough money as if a tour does not involve an organization of a few hundred people who have to be paid. Europe received tours in 2017 and 2018, but the thought of the US seeing more shows is a result of greed? It may very well be that the recent meeting with Don Was and Universal has convinced them they can deliver a strong album before next summer and that as a result Asia and Oceania are now possibilities for 2021.

Insurance costs are very high for an Asian tour, they won't play more than 15-16 shows so the cost is even higher with few shows in each country, it's a lot easier to play in Europe and US, and cheaper too.

If the new album is ready by early 2020 they could bundle it with the tickets, that was the idea before the last US tour.

Posted by: PalaisRoyale ()
Date: October 18, 2019 01:58

I imagine we will find out in the not too distant future. Did the last No Filter announcement not come out around the US Thanksgiving?

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: October 18, 2019 02:17

Love all these Stones stats. and tour logistics scenarios keep them coming,keep them comimg...yea smoking smiley

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Date: October 18, 2019 04:40

georgelicks
If the new album is ready by early 2020 they could bundle it with the tickets, that was the idea before the last US tour.

Thanks georgelicks - I recall there was discussion of those plans...seems like years ago!
And just my imagination maybe (and as hard as it is to to believe), but I read your statement as a subtle hint that there's a possibility there could be a new album ready by early 2020...but I'm not holding my breath!
It's exciting enough to think the Stones might be coming back so soon after the last set of shows, but throw in a new album and it would be nothing short of a miracle!

Date: October 18, 2019 06:16

PalaisRoyale
I imagine we will find out in the not too distant future. Did the last No Filter announcement not come out around the US Thanksgiving?

Yes, I believe tickets went on sale 30 November.

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: October 18, 2019 10:14

PalaisRoyale

Yes, but it was weirdly early - like there was a risk of a leak, to my mind - I wouldn't expect any official announcement until well into new year (Feb/Mar), but that is speculation on my part.

syrel

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 18, 2019 14:14

How about 14 shows at MSG? Or 14 shows at Roseland Ballroom? I don't think so. It is unfair to all those fans who can't afford $600 to $1,000 tickets at MSG, and to all those who do not get a ticket, when shows sell out in minutes, rather than hours.

Another stadium tour, like 2017, 2018, 2019, that is what is working for most normal fans. You go to work Monday to Friday every week. You work hard, and then you hear the Stones are coming to town. You are a fan, so you spend a lot of energy to get that ticket. Then you get the ticket, and you ask your boss for a day of, to have all day off show day. Then you plan for the show every day until they arrive. It is the biggest day of the year, of any year, in years.

Most fans can't travel to NYC or anywhere else far away, where hotel and travel cost add up to thousands of dollars. They want to have the Stones in their home town. They want to see the Stones in places like Wichita and Regina and Halifax and Louisville and Detroit and Dallas and San Diego. And that is what we will get. Another great stadium tour where close to a million fans will be able to see the Stones near their own homes. Just a kiss away!

Bjornulf

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 84

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1777
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home