Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 84
Re: No Filter Tour 2020
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 15, 2019 11:17

Pity about the dictatorial demands of China.............This would have been a nice setting..........

Happy Valley Racecourse in Hong Kong.........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-15 12:33 by EddieByword.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 15, 2019 11:19

Irix
bitusa2012

It's a shame if this is the reason. And erroneous. They played a few ARENAS in Australia last time round....But here are some STADIUMS in OZ

Yes, you're right - but why haven't the Stones played them in 2014 in Australia (except Adelaide) while they played large '50,000' venues in Europe 2014 - [iorr.org] ?

Don't forget the promotors. The Stones receive a fixed amount of money per concert (amount depending on size of course), but the promotor(s) take the risk.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: October 15, 2019 12:06

EddieByword
There's also the Happy Valley racecourse in Hong Kong................They played Paris' Longchamp Racecourse in 1982 so..............

I would be more than certain that no insurers would insure The Stones to play in Hong Kong in the foreseeable future.

Bad. But that's how it is.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 15, 2019 12:08

Irix
bitusa2012

It's a shame if this is the reason. And erroneous. They played a few ARENAS in Australia last time round....But here are some STADIUMS in OZ

Yes, you're right - but why haven't the Stones played them in 2014 in Australia (except Adelaide) while they played large '50,000' venues in Europe 2014 - [iorr.org] ?

You'd have to ask the promoters and The Stones. They were happy to play, for example, 2 shows at Perth Arena (each of about 15-16000 people) when they could have played one show at, in those days, Subiaco (Stadium), like U2 had in past years. They opted to play Arenas. But we DO have Stadiums if they want to hit and run with the money rather than play the more intimate (!) 16000 seat shows!

Rod

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: October 15, 2019 12:11

Irix

Even for the (twice cancelled) 'Hanging Rock' Festival site were only 20,000 seats planned.

I'm moderately sure that the site takes 15,000 max.

I'm also amused that it now ranks as a "Festival Site". To we normal mortals it's a field.

[goo.gl]

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 15, 2019 12:24

CaptainCorella
EddieByword
There's also the Happy Valley racecourse in Hong Kong................They played Paris' Longchamp Racecourse in 1982 so..............

I would be more than certain that no insurers would insure The Stones to play in Hong Kong in the foreseeable future.

Bad. But that's how it is.

Yes, this is true...........and it looks like it might be a long fight (on reflection)..............thumbs up

Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: October 15, 2019 12:26

Irix

The 14 on Fire tour had quite a range of different sized venues, including playing a couple arenas in Europe and Asia, so it wasn't just Australia that saw smaller venues that year. The previous time the Stones played Australia was The Bigger Bang tour, and they played the ANZ Stadium (then called Telstra Stadium) that time getting an attendance of 58,000, so its not like there isn't precedence for them selling out large venues in Australia.

I would guess it would be the local promoter that decided selling out more arenas would be a safer bet than booking the larger stadiums, which often require last minute price drops to sell the remaining tickets based on my own observations.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 15, 2019 15:01

ChrisMahavishnu
Irix

The 14 on Fire tour had quite a range of different sized venues, including playing a couple arenas in Europe and Asia, so it wasn't just Australia that saw smaller venues that year. The previous time the Stones played Australia was The Bigger Bang tour, and they played the ANZ Stadium (then called Telstra Stadium) that time getting an attendance of 58,000, so its not like there isn't precedence for them selling out large venues in Australia.

I would guess it would be the local promoter that decided selling out more arenas would be a safer bet than booking the larger stadiums, which often require last minute price drops to sell the remaining tickets based on my own observations.

In 2014 the arena stage was only used in China and Australia. Never in Europe besides London 2012.

Posted by: podiumboy ()
Date: October 15, 2019 15:38

Been reading reports that Metallica (who postponed their Australian tour) and U2 have been having some less than stellar sales in Australia. It’s not like U2 are going to be playing for empty stadiums, but tickets didn’t exactly fly off the shelves either. Perhaps this factors in Australia being a weeker market and the Dtones deciding to skip it.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 15, 2019 18:43

I think in the past the reduced cost of stage production/transport and higher average ticket price made arenas more appealing but they are now more efficient with move a big stage around (which isn't as big as in the past) and the average stadium ticket is now closer in price to average arena ticket.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: October 15, 2019 19:18

Send It To me
I think in the past the reduced cost of stage production/transport and higher average ticket price made arenas more appealing but they are now more efficient with move a big stage around (which isn't as big as in the past) and the average stadium ticket is now closer in price to average arena ticket.

They are going to do one or the other. A stadium stage or arena stage. Obviously they have the stadium stage ready to go.

Posted by: swaff ()
Date: October 15, 2019 22:32

Come on San Francisco!!! Or they could get Oakland for cheap, but there're not playing Levi's again. (yea)

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: October 15, 2019 23:52

Would any of stadiums this year be on next springs list.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: October 15, 2019 23:56

swaff
Come on San Francisco!!! Or they could get Oakland for cheap, but there're not playing Levi's again. (yea)

"Come on San Francisco, let's see how you can shake your asses", from Live'r Than You'll Ever Be.

Posted by: Stonesdude ()
Date: October 16, 2019 00:03

I could see them at Chicago, NY, Miami, LA (new stadium) not sure about others.

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: October 16, 2019 00:39

Stonesdude

It would be nice if they actually played in NY - Yankee Stadium?

MetLife is just OK. Horrible acoustics in August in the nose bleeds.

Atlanta could be an option - Mercedes-Benz Stadium?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-16 00:41 by WelshEdge1.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 16, 2019 00:49

Football stadiums are preferable to baseball stadiums due to the layout.

Date: October 16, 2019 01:52

WelshEdge1
Stonesdude

Metlife sounded really good on the field dead center. I'd do that again.

Posted by: Jeter1984 ()
Date: October 16, 2019 01:53

It's quite clear at this point that their health, insurance etc., will not allow them to do more than 15-17 shows at a time.

Knowing that and the fact that, at least in NA, the band wants a minimum of $7.5M (US) per show, stadiums make the most sense.

Trying to price a 15 show arena tour and generate $100M+ is a tough ask that puts way too much risk on the promoter. Stadiums mitigate that risk and let the band play to as many people as possible despite the limited number of shows.

Date: October 16, 2019 02:33

Minneapolis / Atlanta / Dallas all stadiums with roofs. And all possible in my opinion

Posted by: mattyman76 ()
Date: October 16, 2019 02:46

Lenny kravitz has announced some shows next year in oz and New Zealand... I wonder if he may support them? Or if there may be a connection

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 16, 2019 03:24

Supposedly, if one were to take Keith completely seriously, the 2019 NO FILTER tour was the last stadium tour in NA by the Stones, which suggests any further tours will be arenas.

Which wouldn't be so bad, really, except for the price.

Date: October 16, 2019 05:08

GasLightStreet
Supposedly, if one were to take Keith completely seriously, the 2019 NO FILTER tour was the last stadium tour in NA by the Stones, which suggests any further tours will be arenas.

Which wouldn't be so bad, really, except for the price.

I'd like to believe Keith , but he says something one day, and something completely different the next (see new album thread).
"Coming along great" vs. "Nowhere near being finished", and words to that effect.

Flash some $$$ in front of him and he'd probably play anywhere.

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: October 16, 2019 05:31

daspyknows
WelshEdge1
Stonesdude

And great for taping? smiling smiley

Date: October 16, 2019 06:02

WelshEdge1
daspyknows
WelshEdge1
Stonesdude

And great for taping? smiling smiley

Always

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: October 16, 2019 06:28

daspyknows
Send It To me

They are going to do one or the other. A stadium stage or arena stage. Obviously they have the stadium stage ready to go.

They will have an entirely 'new' stadium stage / stage design if they tour The States next spring / summer.

Ian -

Date: October 16, 2019 06:41

Hi Ian... smiling smiley...dream on.

Posted by: podiumboy ()
Date: October 16, 2019 07:07

Possible US leg, taking into account cities that got shows in 2019, and to a lesser extent, 2015.

Minneapolis- US Bank Stadium
St. Louis
Cleveland or Cincinnati
Detroit
NYC- 1 show
Baltimore
Charlotte
Atlanta
Texas (Austin or Dallas)
San Diego
Las Vegas
LA - new Stadium
Salt Lake City

Vancouver
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Montreal
(I know Canadian shows generate less money, typically, but these are cities they haven't hit in a long time).

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 16, 2019 08:35

IanBillen

They will have an entirely 'new' stadium stage / stage design if they tour The States next spring / summer.

There was NO entirely 'new' stadium stage / stage design in Europe 2018 -- it was just the same stage as in Europe 2017. And the US-Stage 2019 was very similar to Europe 2017/18 ....

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: October 16, 2019 10:10

EddieByword
Pity about the dictatorial demands of China.............This would have been a nice setting..........

Happy Valley Racecourse in Hong Kong.........

Agreed.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 84

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1236
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home