Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 36
Re: OT: NFL 2019
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 16, 2019 21:20

GasLightStreet
It may be stunning to some that the Saints lost to the Rams and Falcants - the latter being a stunner for certain (they do have a history of stupid losses, like losing to the 0-7 and 0-10 Cleveland Browns back in... I can't remember but it was in the mid or late 1990s I think) - but the saying is "any given Sunday"... and it requires a team to actually show up and compete - which the Saints did not against the Rams and especially, at HOME!, the Falcants.

The "Domefield Advantage" hasn't existed for a few years now... their road record this year is as good as their home record, which, as probably most people here may agree, and certainly one or two people specifically, is astounding.

Every game matters in the NFL, unlike MLB, NHL and the NHL. That may be a bit much but 16 games vs 82 or 178 or whatever baseball does... you get the point.

The Saints losing to Cantlanta puts them in a tough spot:

Saints have the NFC South pretty much wrapped up minus a complete meltdown; 49ers are 1st in the NFC. They lost to the Seahawks, who are 3rd. The Saints don't play the Packers, who are 2nd. Saints beat the Seahawks.

If they beat the 49ers and finish with the same record as the Seahawks and or the Packers I'm guessing they'd finish 1st due to beating the 49ers and Seahawks.

Of course, the NFL is a league that allows a team with a losing record to "win" their division and make the playoffs so... nothing will be known until after the games have ended on December 29th.

if things get ugly they can always put bridgewater back in. smoking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 16, 2019 21:45

crholmstrom
GasLightStreet
It may be stunning to some that the Saints lost to the Rams and Falcants - the latter being a stunner for certain (they do have a history of stupid losses, like losing to the 0-7 and 0-10 Cleveland Browns back in... I can't remember but it was in the mid or late 1990s I think) - but the saying is "any given Sunday"... and it requires a team to actually show up and compete - which the Saints did not against the Rams and especially, at HOME!, the Falcants.

The "Domefield Advantage" hasn't existed for a few years now... their road record this year is as good as their home record, which, as probably most people here may agree, and certainly one or two people specifically, is astounding.

Every game matters in the NFL, unlike MLB, NHL and the NHL. That may be a bit much but 16 games vs 82 or 178 or whatever baseball does... you get the point.

The Saints losing to Cantlanta puts them in a tough spot:

Saints have the NFC South pretty much wrapped up minus a complete meltdown; 49ers are 1st in the NFC. They lost to the Seahawks, who are 3rd. The Saints don't play the Packers, who are 2nd. Saints beat the Seahawks.

If they beat the 49ers and finish with the same record as the Seahawks and or the Packers I'm guessing they'd finish 1st due to beating the 49ers and Seahawks.

Of course, the NFL is a league that allows a team with a losing record to "win" their division and make the playoffs so... nothing will be known until after the games have ended on December 29th.

if things get ugly they can always put bridgewater back in. smoking smiley

There's a bit of that gripe going around... they played very conservatively with Bridgewater. So with Brees back in, they went back to being more aggressive and risk taking.

People forget quickly how good Brees has been. Blows my mind.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 16, 2019 22:24

Psychologically, I need for the Saints to beat Tampa Bay in their crazy town. Well Bush Gardens does have tremendous Roller Coasters!

I'd rather face, in the following week, the Saints coming off of a win.

@ GLS This in what my VooDoo Doctor recommends

Well it is time to watch Clemson - WF & Ga -Auburn (could have SEc imps)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-16 22:30 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: November 16, 2019 22:36

Kitchen is a thug.

Date: November 16, 2019 22:41

black n blue
Kitchen is a thug.

You have me worried - I hope my Garage is not a thug and especially my Air Conditioning smiling smiley It can get warm down here in the swamps-

Date: November 18, 2019 01:37

Wow. Cantlanta beat the hell out of Carolina. I find it difficult to thing they can make the playoffs.

Ever since Nick Foles returned Jacksonville has gone back to sucking. They should've stuck with Gardner.

Of course I'd love to see Arizona beat San Fran, which they currently are doing, 19-17.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 18, 2019 01:40

The Eagles don't seem to be faring too well against the Patriots. They are blowing this game.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: November 18, 2019 19:20

keefriff99
Just out there for a paycheck? Would you do your job for free just because it's "fun"? I sure as hell wouldn't.

The amount of work, both physical and mental, to be an NFL player is beyond what most of us could withstand or comprehend. NO ONE is going through the motions in that league.

You missed my point.

It's a TEAM sport....there are those who care about the TEAM winning and not just their own individual success/pay/fame...that was my point.

I certainly never said they should do it for free.

anybody who does any job has both their individual interests in mind along w/ the interests of the institution....everybody cares about the former, not everybody cares about the latter.

In other words, players can go through the physical/emotional whatever solely for their own interests....or they can do it because they want THEIR TEAM to win/succeed....how much a player cares about the latter is my point....that varies wildly in the NFL (just like every other job out there)

I'm a teacher, FYI...and I put in MOUNTAINS of "free" work so that my students are successful....I was just at work yesterday (Sunday) giving extra tutoring.....for FREE.

....that's the difference...I care about my students' "winning" and not just my own self-interest of having the day off.

surely you remember/know the difference between teachers who were simply there for summer's off....and those that really cared about YOU as a student?

the NFL isn't much different, IMO...that's what I mean.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-18 19:22 by stickyfingers101.

Date: November 18, 2019 19:36

The Sicilian
The Eagles don't seem to be faring too well against the Patriots. They are blowing this game.

1) Carson Wentz sucks...

2) at least 3 dropped interceptions by Eagles

3) the Pats Defense is probably stealing the signals/plays anyway

Date: November 18, 2019 20:02

GasLightStreet
Wow. Cantlanta beat the hell out of Carolina. I find it difficult to thing they can make the playoffs.

Ever since Nick Foles returned Jacksonville has gone back to sucking. They should've stuck with Gardner.

Of course I'd love to see Arizona beat San Fran, which they currently are doing, 19-17.

the 2 whole games foles has been back they suck? no kidding. he is pretty much playing like its his first week of the season because it pretty much is

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: November 19, 2019 00:35

Eagles are not the same and they have rested Seahawks coming into town!!
Vikes are looking good... huge comeback
Baltimore are looking unstoppable hopefully they are peaking too soon
Playoffs are going to be awesome this year no clearcut favorite
there are a few teams that have a great shot to win it all

Go Hawks !!

Date: November 20, 2019 02:11

keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet

the 2 whole games foles has been back they suck? no kidding. he is pretty much playing like its his first week of the season because it pretty much is

Well, yes they do suck. If they unsuck I'll point that out as well.

Date: November 23, 2019 03:13

I thank God for ACC Basketball & NCAA as well -the best sport in the world to watch, No 4 hour games, No crazy threads or posts, etc.. Go Pack! I have to deal with Duke UNC Louisville, others ...

However, the bird bowl is making more sense ...

Date: November 23, 2019 03:15

Chris Fountain
I thank God for ACC Basketball & NCAA as well -the best sport in the world to watch, No 4 hour games, No crazy threads or posts, etc.. Go Pack! I have to deal with Duke UNC Louisville, others ...

GO HAWKS!

Date: November 23, 2019 03:48

Chris Fountain

Years ago, when I was younger, I was a huge fan of Michigan State University hockey, basketball (only on TV) and US football (during the Ron Sott/Earvin Johnson/Morten Andersen eras plus a few years).

When those era ended and I moved on in life, I stopped following. I was able to keep up with some of what some players were doing (in all 3 sports) but I wasn't about sports at the time.

Years later I moved to New Orleans and there is... Morten Anderson kicking for the Saints.

I've seen enough professional and college sports live and on TV to tell the difference - the professionals are the best period.

So... I guess it's all how you see it. I've had the pleasure of seeing Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, (Craig Simpson and Mike Donnelly - who seemed to score every time he had a shift - as MSU - who both went on to play with Gretzky), Brett Favre and Drew Brees (among others in those times, obviously) live in action - nothing in the NCAA can beat that - and with the SEC even, the NFL of college football - there is no comparison.

But - I understand what you're saying.

Date: November 23, 2019 13:22

This is a tough case to make, but there is an element of college sports that is different than Pro sports, It is more localized in the sense that we actually are part of our alma mater. It is very special and getting through college is no easy task. Then children of parents go to the same universities along with friends who know other friends, on and on. School passion transcends through generation after generation going back to the 1800s .

Just seems Pro sports is more about the money where collegiate sports is about blood.

Now everyone on my Father's side went to UNC. Astonishingly, all on my Mother's side went to NC State like myself.

To make sure there were no damaging UNC chromosones in my genes, I sent a DNA sample to the FBI in Quantico, Va. The results showed that I was 100% Wolf.

I actually despise the following schools and their obnoxious fans - Duke, Kentucky, Florida, Penn State , Ohio State , Michigan, and Alabama

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 23, 2019 16:17

It's silly to over-romanticize college sports. There's NOTHING pure about college sports compared to the pros...the pros are just more honest about it.

College players aren't in there playing for the "love of the game"...they want pussy and (eventually) a lot of money just like any other 20 year old guy. If they could get paid for playing (and they should), they'd take the money.

The NCAA is nothing but a racket.

Date: November 23, 2019 16:56

I disagree ...... Let's take TJ Warren for example. He plays for the Indiana Pacers and was a stand out player at NC State. You can best believe that if NC state is playing a game he will find a way to watch it... Same applies to all players of any sport.

Like the Beach Boys say "Be True to Your School"

Date: November 23, 2019 19:39

Chris Fountain
I disagree ...... Let's take TJ Warren for example. He plays for the Indiana Pacers and was a stand out player at NC State. You can best believe that if NC state is playing a game he will find a way to watch it... Same applies to all players of any sport.

Like the Beach Boys say "Be True to Your School"

Chris, you must be a Nate McMillan fan. I used to have season tickets for the Sonics before they took my team away. He was always a favorite. Has turned into a great coach now!

Date: November 23, 2019 19:41

Chris Fountain
This is a tough case to make, but there is an element of college sports that is different than Pro sports, It is more localized in the sense that we actually are part of our alma mater. It is very special and getting through college is no easy task. Then children of parents go to the same universities along with friends who know other friends, on and on. School passion transcends through generation after generation going back to the 1800s .

Just seems Pro sports is more about the money where collegiate sports is about blood.

Now everyone on my Father's side went to UNC. Astonishingly, all on my Mother's side went to NC State like myself.

To make sure there were no damaging UNC chromosones in my genes, I sent a DNA sample to the FBI in Quantico, Va. The results showed that I was 100% Wolf.

I actually despise the following schools and their obnoxious fans - Duke, Kentucky, Florida, Penn State , Ohio State , Michigan, and Alabama

LSU is huge where I live in SE LA. There are times when there are more LSU flags out than Saints, which kind of makes sense in a way - Tiger Stadium holds a good bit more people than the Superdome and Baton Rouge is not only the state capital but has a gargantuan campus. I'm not a big college football watcher by any means but I do watch LSU and this year, they're possibly the best ever (they're basically running a Saints offense plan and QB Joe Burrow is awesome).

A few years ago when they played hated Alabama in the Supe for the championship and Alabama destroyed LSU, a joke went around:

Why is LSU's bus still parked at the Superdome?

Because someone painted a 50 yard line in front of it.

Nothing against Les Miles personally, he seemed to be a good dude, but he had a knack for running boneheaded plays. He never really seemed to get it together. When Coach O took over a lot of people were pissed... because he didn't exactly have the big background a lot of other SEC coaches did and came off as a dumb oaf. Where Miles inherited a Nick Saban built LSU (Saban won a championship... and then split for the Miami Dolphins - a hilarious thing for the Saints because he passed on Drew Brees - and he SUCKED in the NFL before being lured to Tuscaloosa for a gazillion dollars), Ed Orgeron inherited a messed up LSU football team. Players stopped wanting to come to LSU... but Coach O turned out to be very smart... an now LSU is back to being a very respected program.

And! They finally beat Alabama.

There is an NBA team in New Orleans but it's kind of viewed as not even something to do for a lot of people. This is football land. I'll never got to an LSU game - the fans are outrageous.

Coach Payton and Drew Brees coming here after Katrina turned the Aints into a highly respected team finally. All the troubles and a few losing seasons aside, they really did help tremendously in firing up people in the region and have had some great games over the years. You won't find any arrogant Saints fans like there are in New England for the Patriots - we don't take winning games for granted and aren't snobs. Which is weird how the NE fans have gotten - they sucked for eons too, just like the Saints.

I guess you could say Saints fans still have their integrity because they remember when the Saints sucked. The door for Payton and Brees to win another Super Bowl is getting very close to being closed. There's no telling how long Brees will continue since he's still damn good. As much as I love watching Brees, if they win the Super Bowl in 2020, I hope he retires.

Date: November 24, 2019 15:03

strong lineup of games today. SEA/PHI, DAL/NE, SF/GB. GO HAWKS! & RAIDERS! GEHEN ZUM TEUFEL SF! grinning smiley

Date: November 24, 2019 16:24

keefriff99
It's silly to over-romanticize college sports. There's NOTHING pure about college sports compared to the pros...the pros are just more honest about it.

College players aren't in there playing for the "love of the game"...they want pussy and (eventually) a lot of money just like any other 20 year old guy. If they could get paid for playing (and they should), they'd take the money.

The NCAA is nothing but a racket.

Paying NCAA Players:

Problem #1: Title IX means that if you pay ANY college athlete, you have to pay them ALL equally.....which is absurd in the extreme and essentially impossible.

The notion that the Field Hockey or Crew Team (or, or, or) brings ANY money into the Uni is a joke...EVERY sport except basketball and/or football run on a LOSS....basketball/football pay for (literally) ALL the other sports.

so....you can't pay them w/o changing how Title IX works or getting rid of probably 95% of college sports (good luck w/ that)

You are 100% correct - NCAA is a total racket (the South Park "College Ath-o-letes" is a classic, FYI)

[www.youtube.com]

Football/basketball players need to realize that the ONLY thing they are being offered is a degree...if they don't take that, then they are the suckers....but, our society has moved far away from promoting the idea that "if you don't get your degree, you're getting used"....it's all about "goin' pro" now (which is a horrible message for 99% of these players)

I mean, they are getting used anyway, so at least take the ONLY thing they offer you (besides some cool gear, I suppose).

Generally speaking, all the other "student athletes" in the "not-on-TV-few-people-care" sports get free degrees on the backs of football/basketball which have the lowest graduation rates of all the NCAA sports....

Which raises an interesting angle on "Football pays for Field Hockey"...how come nobody is asking "why are (generally) poor black men funding (generally) middle/upper class white-women's (and men's) college education?"

obviously that is a sweeping generalization, but there is some truth to it and it seems pretty ridiculous/racist/wrong/something to me.

but...this is an NFL thread on a Rolling Stones board, so I'll just leave it there.

go Browns!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-24 16:31 by stickyfingers101.

Date: November 24, 2019 16:47

I agree with the assessment that LSU is the best team in college football. They are loaded and brought great satisfaction when they beat Alabama. I saw every minute of that game.

Clemson has proven Alabama can be beaten and this year is really about Clemson and LSU fighting for the crown. I just don't see Ohio State or Georgia on the same level. Plus, Clemson'defense is improving.

With respect to the Saints, I think there defense is underrated. they should beat Carolina today and this will be a better gauge in understanding where the Saints are at this point. Unfortunately, Carolina has an aging defense -Davis and Kuechly have been there forever. They had their chance against New England moons ago but squandered it away - It was a great SB anyway.

Don't underestimate the the appeal of the Pelicans. Zion is the real deal and they are going to be very , very good and exciting to watch. They are already playing better-

To change subjects - Seattle at Philly ? Who knows Seattle is perfect on the road but this seems like a trap game. If they lose it will get it out of their system - Weak case to make but I just have a gut feeling this is not the Hawks game- and I like them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-24 16:56 by Chris Fountain.

Date: November 24, 2019 19:58

Clowney out for Seahawks. No bueno!!!!!!

Date: November 24, 2019 21:22

In Russell we trust...

Date: November 24, 2019 21:37

Browns up 28-3 at the half!

oh no!

the worst lead in sports! Just ask the Falcons and whoever it was Oklahoma beat last week!

if anybody can keep that curse going....it's the Browns.

oh well...Go Browns!!

Date: November 24, 2019 21:39

stickyfingers101

oh no!

the worst lead in sports! Just ask the Falcons and whoever it was Oklahoma beat last week!

oh well...Go Browns!!

I heard some Cleveland fans had a Mason Rudolph pinata that they were hitting with helmets pregame. Classy! Actually pretty funny in a warped way.

Date: November 24, 2019 22:00

crholmstrom
stickyfingers101

oh no!

oh well...Go Browns!!

I heard some Cleveland fans had a Mason Rudolph pinata that they were hitting with helmets pregame. Classy! Actually pretty funny in a warped way.

haha...that's Cleveland for you....horrible/awesome.

Date: November 24, 2019 22:06

jets about to win their 3rd game in a row eye popping smiley

Date: November 24, 2019 22:16

keefriffhard4life
jets about to win their 3rd game in a row eye popping smiley

my raiders are sucking hard. seahawks too except philly playing worse

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 36

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1593
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home