Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Santa Clara show 18-August-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Date: August 19, 2019 10:29

They certainly broke the 10:00 curfew!

Out of Control was great.

Ronnie was great on Rambler.

He had some funny looks during Let It Bleed...……..like he lost the sound he wanted,

Re: Santa Clara show 18-August-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: swaff ()
Date: August 19, 2019 10:38

Just now back from the show. Awesome!!! Can't say enough about Keith's tone tonight. AND "Rambler". Wow!!! Fantastic gig tonight. Totally worth the Bull Sh*t they call Levi's Stadium. Man, what a Cluster @#$%&. But once inside nice, and great sound at stage right!

Date: August 19, 2019 10:51

P.S. no pyros at the end tonight. Past curfew? What are we 12 years old??? Oh, and we did bring our 15/12 yr olds with us, they rawked!!!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 19, 2019 10:57

The shortest review I've ever written:

- FANTASTIC SHOW!
- Lucky Dips = PIT 2!!
- God Bless the Rolling Stones!!!
- Thank you, and good night!!!!

smiling smiley

Will have more detailed thoughts in the coming days. thumbs up

Date: August 19, 2019 10:59

Loved Keith's tone tonight. Pierre, dude!!! I sent a Facebook friend request.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: August 19, 2019 11:02

Mick lost his voice half-way thru Satisfaction. Bernard, Sasha had to cover for him, quite loudly, while Mick mimed. He did not say good night/thank you, either.

Date: August 19, 2019 11:09

cyclist
Started weeping tonight during Shelter. Such a miracle to see the Stones in 2019. Irreplaceable.

thumbs up

Yeah cyclist I can relate...had a few of those moments myself. Not quite weeping, but a bit choked with up with complete joy, and there might have been a tear forming in my eye at one point!

shattered
I kinda miss Hairball being signed in considering he is at the show.

Haha...well thanks shattered, I kind of missed you too. lol winking smiley

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: August 19, 2019 11:09

Hairball

- FANTASTIC SHOW!
- Lucky Dips = PIT 2!!

smiling smiley

That was epic shit. Thx again for the parking and lucky dip hookup for my son. He had a blast and I was home 75 minutes after last note. Didn't even get to hear whole show. Safe travels tomorrow.

Date: August 19, 2019 11:22

daspyknows
Hairball

- FANTASTIC SHOW!
- Lucky Dips = PIT 2!!

smiling smiley

That was epic shit. Thx again for the parking and lucky dip hookup for my son. He had a blast and I was home 75 minutes after last note. Didn't even get to hear whole show. Safe travels tomorrow.

Cheers daspy - it was a pleasure, and I'm beyond glad for both your son and myself that we were gifted with PIT 2 Lucky Dips!
When we went to LD window, we walked right up and waited behind only one guy and his wife. I told the ticket guy this would be your son's first Stones show,
He brought back envelope, and I asked if he peaked to see what they were. He said no he didn't know at all, and that they get freshly printed as people come up to the window...and then he winked.
I slowly and carefully opened the envelope and could hear angels start singing from the heavens, and then literally jumped for joy when I realized what they were!!! Good times....smiling smiley

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: August 19, 2019 11:30

Hairball
daspyknows
Hairball

- FANTASTIC SHOW!
- Lucky Dips = PIT 2!!

smiling smiley

Cheers daspy - it was a pleasure, and I'm beyond glad for both your son and myself that we were gifted with PIT 2 Lucky Dips!
When we went to LD window, we walked right up and waited behind only one guy and his wife. I told the ticket guy this would be your son's first Stones show,
He brought back envelope, and I asked if he peaked to see what they were. He said no he didn't know at all, and that they get freshly printed as people come up to the window...and then he winked.
I slowly and carefully opened the envelope and could hear angels start singing from the heavens, and then literally jumped for joy when I realized what they were!!! Good times....smiling smiley

Right on. Thx.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: August 19, 2019 12:37

How good was "Out Of Control" tasty re-rhythm

The Rolling Stones - Santa Clara CA 18-August-2019
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 19, 2019 14:04

Curfew no issue as Rolling Stones rock Levi’s Stadium till 11 p.m.

Stones wow crowd in 40th Bay Area show

Karl Mondon

By Jim Harrington
August 18, 2019

The Rolling Stones kept rocking past 10 p.m. at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, but apparently were not in danger of being tagged for a curfew violation during its terrific show on Aug. 18.

The band brought its main set to a close at 10:41 p.m., before returning for a two-song encore to wrap up its 19-song, heavy-on-the-classics performance at 10:57. And sources close to the matter told the Bay Area News Group that, thanks to negotiations between the city of Santa Clara and the San Francisco 49ers football team, the legendary band’s curfew was set at 11 p.m.

There was no word on when then those negotiations took place.

Previously, it was believed the Rolling Stones were supposedly facing a 10 p.m. curfew for the show. That’s the standard weeknight and Sunday curfew for the venue, which is the home of the San Francisco 49ers.

The curfew had been an ongoing battle between the City of Santa Clara and the 49ers. The city has backed the 10 p.m. weeknight curfew, which city officials say is needed so neighbors aren’t bothered by the noise and traffic when they have to get up early for work or school the next day. The 49ers argue the curfew unrealistic for operating a concert venue.

Acts that have broken the curfew include include U2 (2017), Coldplay (2017) and Beyonce (2016 and, again, in 2018 with Jay-Z).

The Stones took the stage at 8:52 p.m. following a set by Sacramento’s Vista Kicks, and kicked off with a solid version of “Jumping Jack Flash.” From there the show just kept getting better, as frontman Mick Jagger showed he was no worse for wear following the recent heart surgery that had postponed the band’s North American No Filter Tour.

The four longtime Stones — vocalist Jagger, guitarists Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards, and drummer Charlie Watts — quickly continued into “Let’s Spend the Night Together,” while four giant video screens broadcasting the action to the far reaches of the packed football stadium.

“This is the first time we’ve ever played this lovely stadium,” Jagger remarked.

It was the band’s Levi’s debut, but it was also reportedly the 40th Stones show to be held in the Bay Area. The group has been coming around here ever since the mid-1960s. And don’t think that the band members have forgotten about some of those early shows.

“I always remember the smell of the Cow Palace,” Jagger said to the crowd.

The Stones stuck pretty closely to the greatest hits material, rolling through “Tumbling Dice,” “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” and “Sympathy for the Devil” during the first half of the show.

Yet, the group also touched upon some lesser-known offerings, such as “Rocks Off” and “Sweet Virginia” (both from 1972’s “Exile on Main St.”).

Following a stripped-down, two-song acoustic set at the edge of the catwalk that extended out into the crowd from the stage, Richards took over on lead vocals for “You Got the Silver” and “Before They Make me Run.” The main upside to that segment was it gave Jagger a chance to catch his breath and he’d come back to the stage refreshed and ready to really motor on to the finish line.

The band finished up the main set in true Rock and Roll Hall of Fame fashion, stringing together “Miss You,” “Midnight Rambler,” “Paint it Black,” “Start Me Up” and “Brown Sugar.” The Stones then quickly returned for a uproarious take on “Gimme Shelter” — which turned out to be the best song of the night — and then finally ‘(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction.”

[www.mercurynews.com]

Date: August 19, 2019 14:08

Rolling Stones remain rebels at heart, break Levi’s Stadium curfew

Aidin Vaziri August 18, 2019

Carlos Avila Gonzalez

The Rolling Stones are still rebels at heart.

The British rock icons didn’t even pause as they broke the curfew at Levi’s Stadium during their “No Filter” tour stop at the home of the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday, Aug. 18, rocking well past the 10 p.m. weeknight deadline for concerts at the venue.

The Stones weren’t the first act to disregard the Santa Clara City Council’s curfew, following the lead of U2 (2017), Coldplay (2017) and repeat offender Beyoncé, who broke it on her own (2016) and again on her co-headlining tour with Jay-Z (2018).

But they probably did it with the most style, easing into a full-blown rendition of the 1978 disco single “Miss You” just after the 10 p.m. mark, complete with an explosive saxophone solo and the sight of frontman Mick Jagger peeling open his patterned leather jacket to reveal — what else? — a Rolling Stones T-shirt underneath.

It was clear from the outset that the band had no intention of abiding by the time limit. The Rolling Stones casually took the stage just before 9 p.m. in front of the sold-out crowd of 49,000 and worked their way through a hit-packed set that lasted until 10:57 p.m., loosely based of the band’s new greatest hits set, “Honk.”

The city fine of $1,000 most likely didn’t faze the Rock and Roll Hall of Famers, whose concert tickets went for as high as $3,000 each for a spot in the pit beneath the stage.

Marking the Rolling Stones’ first Bay Area appearance since their 50th anniversary tour stopped in Oakland and San Jose in May 2013, there was a clear sense of occasion to the concert.

“We first came to the Bay Area in 1965,” Jagger told the crowd, noting that it was the band’s 40th concert in the region. “I always remember the smell of the Cow Palace.”

The milestone performance almost didn’t happen. The concert, originally scheduled to take place in May, was postponed when Jagger was required to have an emergency heart-valve replacement. For many fans who grew up with the band, his close call no doubt made them wonder if this could, indeed, be the last time.

Jagger is 76, guitarists Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood are 75 and 72, respectively, and drummer Charlie Watts is now 78. As the numerous closeups on the overhead video screens revealed, their faces are now as weathered and as familiar as those that line Mount Rushmore.

But you wouldn’t know it the way they charged the stage for the opening number, “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” all guns blazing. Jagger’s hips and hands were in constant motion, twirling, pointing and grabbing at the air. Richards swung his guitar around as if it were a third arm, while Wood bound across the stage. Watts remained as stoic as ever, bashing out the band’s frantic rhythms while the expression on his face suggested he was still pondering the clue for 14-down from the morning’s crossword puzzle.

“This is fun,” Richards, who wore a broad smile most of the night, told the audience. “I wouldn’t do it otherwise.”

With a setlist that could’t fail — give or take “Out of Control” from 1997’s “Bridges to Babylon” album — and a band that looked completely energized to be onstage, it was without doubt one of the Stones’ most exciting appearances in the Bay Area in the past two decades.

Jagger went through so many costume changes as the band powered through classics like “Let’s Spend the Night Together” and “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” that it was easy to lose count.

Ever the people pleaser, he made sure to reference a long list of Bay Area institutions like Karl the Fog, the Buena Vista Cafe’s signature Irish Coffee, and outlier cities like Stockton and Modesto. He even knew he was in Santa Clara, not San Francisco.

“This is a beautiful stadium,” he said, with the authority of someone who would know.

The Stones took full advantage of the space, not with a visual spectacle but with volume and melody, filling every crevice with their bluesy chords, soaring choruses and indispensable attitude.

Even when the band played a brief acoustic interlude on a smaller stage on the 50-yard line, bashing out “Sweet Virginia” and “Let It Bleed,” they made them sound immense.

“It’s like being in your aunty’s front room but with more people,” Jagger said.

The band closed out the night with the one-two punch of “Gimme Shelter” and “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction,” sparing the town the planned fireworks display. But by that point, even pyrotechnics could compete with the heat coming off the guys on stage.

[datebook.sfchronicle.com]

Re: The Rolling Stones - Santa Clara CA 18-August-2019
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 19, 2019 14:11

bye bye johnny
Richards took over on lead vocals for “You Got the Silver” and “Before They Make me Run.” The main upside to that segment was it gave Jagger a chance to catch his breath and he’d come back to the stage refreshed and ready to really motor on to the finish line.

Most diplomatic version of "This guy can't sing" ever

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 19, 2019 15:29

Most of the reviews posted are all the same. Descriptive rather than critical. If you read one you have read them all. The only difference is the location.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 19, 2019 15:41

Hairball

- FANTASTIC SHOW!
- Lucky Dips = PIT 2!!

smiling smiley

ahahahah glad you had a blast Hairball! looking forward your unabridged review smileys with beer

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: August 19, 2019 15:42

I'm not so sure Stoneage , the reviews are fair up to a point, back in 2017 they sounded pretty tired and the music wasn't really rocking. Now with Keith raising his game it's completely different these last half dozen shows.
I've just listened to this whole gig and with Mick and Keith moving less we are really getting a strong sound, this is high powered stuff and it's clear the audiences are feeling the power and it's coming right back at the Stones.
I just wish Mick could cut down some of the pointing and waving and corny audience participation, it's just cheapens the music and the band. Where are all the cool moves he used to make, he just keeps walking everywhere like he can't make his mind up where the music's coming from. It's so much better when he's tight with Ronnie and Keith, he doesn't need to bring it to the back of the Stadium, they have giant video screens for that. I don't know, I just think he tries too hard and looks at little desperate for approval and recognition from the audience. It was fine when he had the speed for making those quick flurries down the catwalks, now it looks wrong to me.
MICKS STILL THE GREATEST, it's just that he can be greater and cool at the same time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-19 16:00 by keithsman.

Posted by: muncy23 ()
Date: August 19, 2019 15:45

DeanGoodman
Mick lost his voice half-way thru Satisfaction. Bernard, Sasha had to cover for him, quite loudly, while Mick mimed. He did not say good night/thank you, either.

Interesting...I'm sure his voice doctor will fix him right up for the next shows..

Date: August 19, 2019 16:04

my my miiiyyyy

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 19, 2019 16:06

If he has the same "voice doctor" as he had in 2003 (listen to him doing scales on Four Flicks. Horrible) he's done. He's doing 20 gigs a year. 2 gigs a week. Luckily there are only 3 gigs left of the tour.

Date: August 19, 2019 16:07

he was fool he was young he was vain et ecetera

video: [youtu.be]

Date: August 19, 2019 16:32

Karl Mondon

Date: August 19, 2019 16:33

Karl Mondon

Date: August 19, 2019 16:34

Karl Mondon

Date: August 19, 2019 16:35

Karl Mondon

Date: August 19, 2019 16:36

Karl Mondon

Date: August 19, 2019 16:38

Karl Mondon

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: August 19, 2019 17:03

Hope Mick’s voice just needs a day or 2.

Date: August 19, 2019 17:08

The @RollingStones at @LevisStadium #Satisfaction — Thank you to the 50k+ fans who came to see @MickJagger & the guys rock out... great times #stonesnofilter -

LARGE Version

[twitter.com]

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: August 19, 2019 18:00

Sounds like another fantastic night, lasting memories for all that attended I'm sure. Great setlist with Out of Control... They are really finishing strong on this tour only make me wonder what's up next???

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1760
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home