Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What Makes This Song Great - Angie
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: August 17, 2019 00:29

[www.youtube.com]

What Makes This Song Great? Ep.73 THE ROLLING STONES - Angie

This is awesome, awesome, awesome, deconstructing Angie, guitar, piano, vocals its all there for you to dive into.

Re: What Makes This Song Great - Angie
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 17, 2019 01:02

My favourite Stones song although I don't like how they play it these days. Great video to learn all the ins and outs of the song.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 17, 2019 01:24

Rick Beato knows what he's talking about. Good knowledge of all things music, and a great presenter.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 17, 2019 02:42

Answer (for me)............it was the first song by the Stones I ever heard - Angie pulled me in all the way ...so....great song...- then GHS and Heartbreaker and that was it - a lifetime of great music....................so good to hear Angie in Canada................

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-17 02:57 by EddieByword.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: August 17, 2019 04:08

I just sold an Angie CD single from a singles box I'm splitting up at 5pm. Coincidence or the video?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 17, 2019 06:46

What makes this song great?

Everything about it.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: August 17, 2019 07:25

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

What Makes This Song Great? Ep.73 THE ROLLING STONES - Angie

This is awesome, awesome, awesome, deconstructing Angie, guitar, piano, vocals its all there for you to dive into.
So great. The song is genius. It emotes such feeling with the chords and strings and lyrics and Mick’s vocals and guitars and keyboards... Love how he breaks it all down. Wish they would play it in Glendale.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: August 17, 2019 13:59

People who don`t like The Stones in the first place, like it: "Ah, is this The Rolling Stones?"

Date: August 17, 2019 18:32

Rick does many, many very informative clips. Plus he is a bitch-ass musician. Plays guitar, and piano very well. He really, really knows his stuff.

Date: August 17, 2019 19:21

That E7/G# chord I wonder if that was Keith or maybe Nicky Hopkins influence but the G Sus4 to Fsus 4 is all Keith type playing. I love when he talks about the chorus when Mick sings Angie and Mick singing the D on the G chord.

Date: August 17, 2019 19:42

OpenG
That E7/G# chord I wonder if that was Keith or maybe Nicky Hopkins influence

Keith did something similar on "Lady Jane" already. Third as bass tone always creates nice tension.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: August 17, 2019 20:54

OpenG
That E7/G# chord I wonder if that was Keith or maybe Nicky Hopkins influence but the G Sus4 to Fsus 4 is all Keith type playing. I love when he talks about the chorus when Mick sings Angie and Mick singing the D on the G chord.

That is sure a thing, the musical relationship between Keith and Nicky. They were killer togheter. And also, I think the voice line is modelled "after" what Nicky played, they are so close. Listen in Following the river, Mick is followin what Nicky is singing on the piano a lot of times.

Angis is such a treasure. Maybe Nicky's top playing. Easy, inspired, inspirational. Keith on acoustic, his other voice. Charlie fills are so amazing, just a hi-hat stroke and you realize how great he is. Jagger at his top singing, too. The remains of another vocal take buzzing in the background really create the atmosphere of the song. Bill Wyman, as always, making magic, you think he is not there, but when you realize he is there, wow, you just can't focus on other sound.
Such a shame they put Mick T. faking the piano solo in the video.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Date: August 17, 2019 21:40

dandelion1967
OpenG

That is sure a thing, the musical relationship between Keith and Nicky. They were killer togheter. And also, I think the voice line is modelled "after" what Nicky played, they are so close. Listen in Following the river, Mick is followin what Nicky is singing on the piano a lot of times.

Angis is such a treasure. Maybe Nicky's top playing. Easy, inspired, inspirational. Keith on acoustic, his other voice. Charlie fills are so amazing, just a hi-hat stroke and you realize how great he is. Jagger at his top singing, too. The remains of another vocal take buzzing in the background really create the atmosphere of the song. Bill Wyman, as always, making magic, you think he is not there, but when you realize he is there, wow, you just can't focus on other sound.

Keith and Taylor are playing guitar in the video. The other video was an outtake, no?

Date: August 17, 2019 22:00

DandelionPowderman

Keith and Taylor are playing guitar in the video.

And in the Stratosphere. smoking smiley

Date: August 17, 2019 22:08

[www.youtube.com]

The Rolling Stones - Angie - OFFICIAL PROMO (Version 1)

[www.youtube.com]

Rolling Stones Angie 73

Keith and Taylor WEAVING LOL -

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 17, 2019 23:43

Never forget the time something occurred. The release of Angie was at the Stone's peak. They would never be more famous, more infamous. (Although Toronto '77 gave them a good run of publicity). People expected hard rock and they got a heart tugging ballad. It came out in autumn and matched that bittersweet time of year. It had a wistful tone, regret. The sense that the best had passed. The single, and much of the GHS album had a feeling of hangover from the last few years, the sense that they just might hang it up. One of those Stones songs that are up there with the Beatles best.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 18, 2019 02:08

DandelionPowderman
dandelion1967
OpenG

Keith and Taylor are playing guitar in the video. The other video was an outtake, no?

I've not listened to it enough to see if it's a different take or an entirely new recording just for the promo film but they did 2 mixes, one without strings and another, the LP version minus the lead vocal, for a "live" vocal, for the promo film. "Prepared backing track" is either a different mix or is a new recording.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 18, 2019 06:36

This is the vid that I remember from TV back then:

[www.youtube.com]

Mick with this mini-sombrero on his head looks sooo ridiculous ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 18, 2019 07:47

One of the greatest Stones songs of all time …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 18, 2019 13:07

Very nicely done, and a great homage to Nicky Hopkins.

Mathijs

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 18, 2019 14:50

.....and lets face it....an extraordinary peek into the brilliance that is/was Keith Richards in the chord sequences....if he could only be so inspired again..so talented...

Date: August 18, 2019 15:42

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
dandelion1967
OpenG

I've not listened to it enough to see if it's a different take or an entirely new recording just for the promo film but they did 2 mixes, one without strings and another, the LP version minus the lead vocal, for a "live" vocal, for the promo film. "Prepared backing track" is either a different mix or is a new recording.

Only live vocals, if memory serves.

Date: August 18, 2019 18:40

Angie with acoustic guitars nothing can top studio recording but for live I prefer
the electric guitar versions.

angie - "what makes this song so great"
Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: August 26, 2019 01:26

rick beato has a great youtube chanel where he explains all kinds of musical topics. he knows alot about theory and explains it in a cool way. here he analyses "angie":
[www.youtube.com]
i highly recomend the clips where he talks about nirvanas songwriting skills - incredibly intersting!

Re: angie - "what makes this song so great"
Date: August 26, 2019 02:53

now combined.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-26 06:41 by nick.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 26, 2019 05:30

Other threads, sure...
I didn't see my post--

Oh, wait, I see--it's here--[iorr.org]

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-26 07:01 by angee.

Date: August 26, 2019 06:37

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-26 06:43 by nick.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 26, 2019 07:08

For all the mudiness of the ghs album sound, the production on this song is excellent.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: August 26, 2019 12:31

on a forum with zibillion posts, the merging of similar threads seems to be the most important thing to do... confused smiley

Posted by: TDive25 ()
Date: August 26, 2019 12:37

Maybe someone can show this to their musical director?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1300
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home