Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
starfu**er 1981 live yt
Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: August 15, 2019 21:47

hi,

never saw this, maybe some of you even haven't…

[www.youtube.com]

Re: starfu**er 1981 live yt
Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: August 15, 2019 21:51

Wow another reason 81 was so bad To take a rocker like that and coke it up is just plain embarrassing

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 15, 2019 22:14

Thanks, never seen that before. Here are some other rare 81/82 live tracks:

- Tops (Philadelphia):
-[www.youtube.com]
- Chantilly Lace (Frankfurt): [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: August 15, 2019 22:24

thanks.

i think it's curious, i look yt every day searching stones videos
i haven't seen until now, Always on the run for new old stuff,
so starfu**er came up today to me, but it is on yt since 2016 !

i like tops (studio) very much, especially the 1972-version with
mick taylor-ending, live they tried it but let it be then

they even played chantilly lace in berlin 1982 (Bootleg called
"beast of Bourbon"), i had the double-lp once, but can't find it on yt

Date: August 15, 2019 22:51

Some other 81/82 rarities:

- Down The Road Apiece (Philadelphia): [www.youtube.com]

- Mona (Philadelphia): [www.youtube.com]

- Street Fighting Man (Arizona): [www.youtube.com]

- Angie (Leeds): [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: August 15, 2019 23:13

Great performance with Starf^&ker in 81. Listen to the piano with Stu, the fantastic bass here by Bill, the gritty sound from Keith, the great vocals by Mick AND Ronnie in the same mike. If you love the music from the Stones this live version is it.smiling smiley

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 15, 2019 23:34

barbabang
Great performance with Starf^&ker in 81. Listen to the piano with Stu, the fantastic bass here by Bill, the gritty sound from Keith, the great vocals by Mick AND Ronnie in the same mike. If you love the music from the Stones this live version is it.smiling smiley

thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 16, 2019 00:02

barbabang

I agree with all those indvidual points you make (especially in regard to Stu & Bill), but still something in the whole performance doesn't quite click to me. The whole is not more than the sum of its parts in this case. To me the version sounds a bit breathless and forced. Like a bad garage band (as usual when the magic doesn't happen). But I guess that's something to do with it being a one-timer, and their old diesel motor needed some warming up then. By contrast, the version in LIVE IN TEXAS 78 is pure gold, but they played it regularly.

Or it could be that I just don't love the music from the Stones.winking smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: August 16, 2019 00:34

Doxa
barbabang

I agree with all those indvidual points you make (especially in regard to Stu & Bill), but still something in the whole performance doesn't quite click to me. The whole is not more than the sum of its parts in this case. To me the version sounds a bit breathless and forced. Like a bad garage band (as usual when the magic doesn't happen). But I guess that's something to do with it being a one-timer, and their old diesel motor needed some warming up then. By contrast, the version in LIVE IN TEXAS 78 is pure gold, but they played it regularly.

- Doxa

Forth Worth 1978 is my favorite music video [and MSG 69] Forth Worth is certainly better. But still... this rocks.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 16, 2019 01:50

That's a pretty rocking version - Great backing vocals, but I can barely hear RW's guitar at all

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: August 16, 2019 13:21

Looks like LA.

Posted by: 999 ()
Date: August 16, 2019 13:33

exilestones
Looks like LA.

It's from Seattle (2nd night)

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: August 16, 2019 13:43

Down The Road A Piece, doesn’t sound like it at all, only because of the singing/lyrics it’s recognizable to me.

Date: August 16, 2019 14:20

Tops is great!

Date: August 16, 2019 14:43

It's not very dominant on any version, is it?

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: August 16, 2019 15:23

Wow, I never knew about this! 81 tour is my favorite live version of the band so of course I love this sloppy rolling version. Stu and Bill really made a difference in their sound that you forget about after so many years of Chuck and Jones

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: August 16, 2019 15:27

Which one in 78? I have one that is 3:48 and one that is 4:17

Date: August 16, 2019 15:55

I must add this 72' version of Tops. It's really good. And puts further proof on Professor HMS's theory about Tattoo You being a compilation...

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-16 15:59 by Stoneage.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 16, 2019 18:04

exilestones
Looks like LA.

It's from Seattle (2nd night)

Doen't Jagger say "Houston"?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 16, 2019 20:50

Doxa
barbabang

- Doxa

Like many of the soundboards from the 1981 tour the sound quality isn’t helping. It’s thin and harsh, and just not pleasant to listen to.

Mathijs

Date: August 17, 2019 15:27

I will post Tops from 1972 again. Jagger's lyrics is still a bit raw but the guitars are something. Maybe the title is right?
The Stones were on Top in 1972? Please listen to it and judge for yourself...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 17, 2019 15:42

It's the same guitars and the same take, sans the vocals, isn't it?

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 17, 2019 15:47

Stoneage
I will post Tops from 1972 again. Jagger's lyrics is still a bit raw but the guitars are something. Maybe the title is right?
The Stones were on Top in 1972? Please listen to it and judge for yourself...

[www.youtube.com]

mick's singing before falsetto starts makes it all sound like a lou reed song
sweet
great tune
at the top

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: August 18, 2019 00:13

Boy the band sounds great there. Young guys blasting away. They couldn’t do this song live anymore

Date: August 19, 2019 22:53

When I listen to the guitars on that 72 demo of Tops it kind of reinforces my belief that they were on top in 1972 as musicians. After Exile they sort of taxed out. Gradually.
After the seventies they were pretty much done. Anyway you look at it.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 19, 2019 23:07

Overall I'm a big fan of the 81 tour, but one criticism I have is that during the last 1/3 or so of the show, some of the songs can get a little too ragged.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-19 23:17 by ryanpow.

Date: August 19, 2019 23:13

Doxa
barbabang

- Doxa

I believe Starf*cker was a regular part of the set till the last part of the tour when it was dropped along with ADTL.

Date: August 20, 2019 00:24

That is not true, Ryanpow. Star Star was only played 8 times. ADTL 23 times. Here are the stats from the 81 leg: [www.setlist.fm]

Date: August 20, 2019 00:50

OK , Starfu*cer it wasn't a one-off, and 23 times for ADTL is a pretty significant number of times to play it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-20 01:41 by ryanpow.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 20, 2019 01:46

Stoneage
I must add this 72' version of Tops. It's really good. And puts further proof on Professor HMS's theory about Tattoo You being a compilation...

[www.youtube.com]

Every album is a compilation, aka a collection; a collection of recordings released as a single item; a recording or set of recordings containing musical selections, a complete play or opera, etc., released on compact disc, phonograph record, cassette tape, or other medium.

[www.thefreedictionary.com]

There is this as well:

An album may be recorded in a recording studio (fixed or mobile), in a concert venue, at home, in the field, or a mix of places. The time frame for completely recording an album varies between a few hours to several years. This process usually requires several takes with different parts recorded separately, and then brought or "mixed" together.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Hits compilations are popular songs, singles or LP tracks. THROUGH THE PAST DARKLY, HOT ROCKS, REWIND, JUMP BACK etc.

Anthologies are compilations that may include some hit songs, LP tracks and/or previously unreleased tracks. TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE and SUCKING THE IN THE SEVENTIES are great examples.

Studio albums ie new albums contain new and or old recordings. Regardless of when they are released, they are considered new because of never being released before.

A majority of The Rolling Stones' albums consist of tracks written, written and recorded a year or two before being released. LET IT BLEED, STICKY FINGERS, EXILE ON MAIN STREET, GOATS HEAD SOUP, IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL, BLACK AND BLUE, SOME GIRLS, EMOTIONAL RESCUE, TATTOO YOU and UNDERCOVER all feature songs that were written and or recorded during earlier album recording sessions.

That is all for now.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1073
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home