Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Wayne Rooney
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 14, 2019 08:55

Washington is playing against the Whitecaps in Vancouver this weekend which will mark the first (and only) time Wayne Rooney will be playing in town. I see he is 33 and will be going back to England next year.
Question to all you knowledgeable soccer (football) fans, I'm assuming he was one of the best players in England/ Europe? I remember there was local hype when David Beckham played in town a number of years ago. To me, he seems a lot more popular than Rooney, although being married to a Spice Girl was probably a big reason for that.

Re: OT: Wayne Rooney
Posted by: JimmyShelter ()
Date: August 14, 2019 12:52

[*] Manchester United all-time top scorer: 253 goals
    [*] England national team all-time top scorer: 53 goals
    [*] Most Premier League goals scored for one club: 183 goals for Manchester United
    [*] Most Premier League away goals scored: 94 goals
    [*] Most Premier League seasons reaching double figures in goals: 12
    [*] Youngest player to start a competitive match for England: 17 years 160 days.

Yeah, he was one of the best, and he's not bad still either, could easily be playing in the English Premiership.
Beckham was always the star and put himself out there, Rooney is actually a much quieter more private character really.
If you are thinking of going to see a great footballer - then go, because he is!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-14 12:53 by JimmyShelter.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: August 14, 2019 13:33

Granny shagger.

Posted by: JimmyShelter ()
Date: August 14, 2019 14:30

will someone look after the kids, grown-ups are talking eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 14, 2019 14:37

Maybe the difference in popularity has something to do with good looks? Beckham was kind of a star outside the pitch also.

Ps. By the way. I saw that Rooney has signed up for Derby County and will travel back home (England) in January next year. Ds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-14 14:41 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: August 14, 2019 15:45

Stoneage
Maybe the difference in popularity has something to do with good looks? Beckham was kind of a star outside the pitch also.

Ps. By the way. I saw that Rooney has signed up for Derby County and will travel back home (England) in January next year. Ds.

That’s exactly the reason David Beckham is a good looking guy whilst Wayne Rooney resembles a potato.

Nate

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 14, 2019 16:46

Nate
Stoneage

That’s exactly the reason David Beckham is a good looking guy whilst Wayne Rooney resembles a potato.

Nate

You should google Nobby Stiles then. He won the World Cup for your team and made Wayne Rooney look like Brad Pitt grinning smiley. But he knew how to tackle, not win beauty contests thumbs up.

Date: August 14, 2019 16:50

grinning smiley

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 14, 2019 19:53

rooney overrated, yes he got loads of caps and goals, but its not a fair comparison as in the 60,s and 70,s england caps were harder to earn, fewer games, harder qualifiers, fewer teams competing in world cups and euros and fewer easy qualifiers as yugoslavia and the soviet union was all the one and not broken into about 25 different smaller nations.

beckham was decent but overrated, he got token caps, given out for nothing just to get him nearer to bobby moores record who earned his and had to play 90 minutes per game to get his while beckham got his last 4 caps in meaningless friendlies having played 30 minutes between them all.

english media tends to find a player, promote him, overrate him, then follow him about till he does something wrong then criticise him till he cracks. never a happy medium with the media. they even promoted the fact david beckham was the only one who could take a free kick,

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 15, 2019 12:34

buttons67
rooney overrated, yes he got loads of caps and goals, but its not a fair comparison as in the 60,s and 70,s england caps were harder to earn, fewer games, harder qualifiers, fewer teams competing in world cups and euros and fewer easy qualifiers as yugoslavia and the soviet union was all the one and not broken into about 25 different smaller nations.

beckham was decent but overrated, he got token caps, given out for nothing just to get him nearer to bobby moores record who earned his and had to play 90 minutes per game to get his while beckham got his last 4 caps in meaningless friendlies having played 30 minutes between them all.

english media tends to find a player, promote him, overrate him, then follow him about till he does something wrong then criticise him till he cracks. never a happy medium with the media. they even promoted the fact david beckham was the only one who could take a free kick,

Spot on. The team that reached the World Cup Semi last year with a very kind draw wasn't a patch on the 1990 team which achieved the same and they in turn not a patch on the 1966 team which were paid sweeties compared to todays overrated pampered superstars. The day after the game, Geoff Hurst was seen by his neighbours out mowing his lawn!

The best Beckham, Rooney and co ever achieved was the Quarter Finals.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 15, 2019 13:42

grzegorz67
[
You should google Nobby Stiles then. He won the World Cup for your team and made Wayne Rooney look like Brad Pitt grinning smiley. But he knew how to tackle, not win beauty contests thumbs up.

grinning smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 16, 2019 00:06

Nate
Stoneage

Nate

???

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 16, 2019 13:34

Rooney peaked around 2012. He’s still too good for the MLS, however. Looking forward to seeing how he does at Derby County from next January. The Chsmpionship is a tough league.

Date: August 16, 2019 15:38

Big Al
Rooney peaked around 2012. He’s still too good for the MLS, however. Looking forward to seeing how he does at Derby County from next January. The Chsmpionship is a tough league.

He'll be their playing manager?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 16, 2019 16:54

DandelionPowderman
Big Al

He'll be their playing manager?

Potentially in the future. My understand is that it’s primarily a playing-role, with the addition of working towards his coaching badges.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1751
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home