Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Unforgettable Album Covers (Stones Content).
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 15, 2019 07:05

IanBillen
Velvet UG first record ... London Calling .. etc. Every list has those and some others ... a

Every list should have London Calling as it's one of the most iconic album covers ever filled with tension, mayhem, action, and intrigue.
When looking at it, you almost have to brace yourself at the thunderous sound of a bass about to explode when hitting the ground like a massive bomb.
And just because it is on every list is no reason to ignore it - that's sort of reverse discrimination wouldn't you say?

Just messing around Ian. winking smiley thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 15, 2019 08:41

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 15, 2019 08:46

Yes, Elvis' should be on every list also.

Date: August 15, 2019 08:59

Lennon worked hard on lookin like Gene baby ......

ROCKMAN

Date: August 15, 2019 14:04

IanBillen
Palace Revolution 2000
IanBillen
Chello. I compiled and revised and re-revised this list over the last few weeks. It is of 'unforgettable' album covers. The list contains forty-seven album covers that are most unique / artful and/or are the covers that seemed to stick in many people's brains through the decades. The list is in no particular order or ranking. Yes .. naturally The Stones have a few entrees.

Cheers -

My 47 List of Unforgettable Album Covers

I would have a tricky time explaining exactly why I think this - but I see a very common theme or estetic in your 47 choices. there is something they all share.

All 47 share a theme or aesthetic? I won't take offense .. and I'll honestly explain if it's so or not or whatever it is (but I have no idea what the common aesthetic or common thing could be?).

It's hard to put into words. First I don't see too many abstract covers. Lots of 'people images'. E.g. often in these type lists we see "Dark Side of the Moon' and 'Unknown Pleasures'. And there is a lot of motion from the left towards the right in the images. There's this right-bound "swoosh".
People will think I;m crazy. And I can now of course think of Sticky Fingers being on the list which does not show a person...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 15, 2019 15:09

Steppenwolf - For Ladies Only

Date: August 15, 2019 19:33

Rockman

there is a 3rd tribute to that album cover. It is a Stones boot cover. Jagger with extended hand. One of the better bot artwork.[dbboots.com] "Lonestar Shooters".

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: August 16, 2019 06:19

Palace Revolution 2000
IanBillen
Palace Revolution 2000
IanBillen
Chello. I compiled and revised and re-revised this list over the last few weeks. It is of 'unforgettable' album covers. The list contains forty-seven album covers that are most unique / artful and/or are the covers that seemed to stick in many people's brains through the decades. The list is in no particular order or ranking. Yes .. naturally The Stones have a few entrees.

Cheers -

I would have a tricky time explaining exactly why I think this - but I see a very common theme or estetic in your 47 choices. there is something they all share.

All 47 share a theme or aesthetic? I won't take offense .. and I'll honestly explain if it's so or not or whatever it is (but I have no idea what the common aesthetic or common thing could be?).

It's hard to put into words. First I don't see too many abstract covers. Lots of 'people images'. E.g. often in these type lists we see "Dark Side of the Moon' and 'Unknown Pleasures'. And there is a lot of motion from the left towards the right in the images. There's this right-bound "swoosh".
People will think I;m crazy. And I can now of course think of Sticky Fingers being on the list which does not show a person...

You do have some fair points with some basis. I did not consciously even follow (or realize) any of the the aspects that you mention as any sort of guideline when selecting albums that should be included in the list. However I do like abstract work very much.

I carefully chose the albums based on the artfulness / aesthetic, what I liked / what really stuck in my head over the years and as well based the selections on turning points for an artist or an artist coming of age. For some selections I strongly took into consideration their popularity when released or during the year of release (however this was not a stipulation). At times only one factor was in the equation .. on other selections there were two ..three... or all of the aspects I just mentioned were in play. There are a few that I chose that I thought / think are plain ugly (but they are very memorable).

The list was compiled of '47 Unforgettable Album Covers' as it's title states .. and that is exactly the manner I compiled it.

*I appreciate your insight and comments and thank you very much for seeing the list! Mucho Gracious Sa!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-16 12:13 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 16, 2019 12:08

I think There are two kinds of special album covers.

The ones with wonderful artwork and the ones with a clever design concept.

A favourite example of the latter for me is Alice's "Schools Out" .

Date: August 16, 2019 12:16

Hairball
Yes, Elvis' should be on every list also.

That album (Elvis Presley) is on every list. I used an alternative that I remember as a kid and an album cover that I remember as a kid and it really sticks in my head. So yezzzz... Elvis is indeed on my list as you prolly understand.

Date: August 16, 2019 15:50

IanBillen
Palace Revolution 2000
IanBillen
Palace Revolution 2000
IanBillen

Cheers -

You do have some fair points with some basis. I did not consciously even follow (or realize) any of the the aspects that you mention as any sort of guideline when selecting albums that should be included in the list. However I do like abstract work very much.

I carefully chose the albums based on the artfulness / aesthetic, what I liked / what really stuck in my head over the years and as well based the selections on turning points for an artist or an artist coming of age. For some selections I strongly took into consideration their popularity when released or during the year of release (however this was not a stipulation). At times only one factor was in the equation .. on other selections there were two ..three... or all of the aspects I just mentioned were in play. There are a few that I chose that I thought / think are plain ugly (but they are very memorable).

The list was compiled of '47 Unforgettable Album Covers' as it's title states .. and that is exactly the manner I compiled it.

*I appreciate your insight and comments and thank you very much for seeing the list! Mucho Gracious Sa!

And I think it is a fantastic list. Well thought out.

Oh and you make a very good point: that you picked a few that are in your esteem ugly, but you include them because they are memorable. That is a hard choice to make.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 16, 2019 16:04

Ian, your list is missing a place holder for the new Stones album! smiling smiley

Date: August 16, 2019 23:28

Palace Revolution 2000
IanBillen
Palace Revolution 2000
IanBillen
Palace Revolution 2000
IanBillen

Cheers -

And I think it is a fantastic list. Well thought out.

Oh and you make a very good point: that you picked a few that are in your esteem ugly, but you include them because they are memorable. That is a hard choice to make.

Thanks so mucho - ! Glad you enjoyed it (and understand it).

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 28, 2019 17:47

nick
The Marvin Gaye cover they used to show at the end of the TV show Good Times as the end credits came on.

On that topic:
[www.latimes.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-29 18:30 by loog droog.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 28, 2019 18:47

Elmo Lewis
Steppenwolf - For Ladies Only

Look this one up - verrrry interesting

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 29, 2019 03:53

DGA35
Van Halen 1
KISS Alive 2
AC/DC If You Want Blood
Maiden Killers or Number of the Beast
Alice Cooper Killer

Spinal Tap Smell The Glove!

Spinal Tap The Black album, and signed in black ink by the band!

Posted by: nick ()
Date: August 29, 2019 07:39

loog droog
nick
The Marvin Gaye cover they used to show at the end of the TV show Good Times as the end credits came on.

On that topic:
[enewspaper.latimes.com]

What page am I looking for?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 29, 2019 08:21

50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong comes to mind.
Exile & Some Girls
Herb Alpert - Whipped Cream & other Delights
Diamond Dogs
Never Mind The Bullocks
Crime of the Century
Electric Warrior
Linda Ronstadt - Living in the USA
Carly Simon - Playing Possum

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 29, 2019 08:41

No Billy Thorpe & The Aztecs original Live at Sunbury? SOMEONE here has to recall that album cover as well as me, surely?

Rod

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: August 29, 2019 10:42

Good list, Ian.

I would add:

Some Girls (1. version)
Beggars (both)
GHS
GYYYO

and

Black Sabbath: Sabotage (which is one of their most disliked covers - and though it is easy to why is disliked I really dig the blend of Magritte, hangover, threat and ridicule)

Tangerine Dream: Zeit
Nico: The marble index
Lou Reed: Transformer
Iggy and the Stooges: Raw power

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-29 10:45 by GetYerAngie.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: August 29, 2019 15:20

Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison and San Quentin.

Date: August 30, 2019 09:40

Always loved the cover to bad-boy
Mack Vickery's live at the Alabama Women's Prison album ….

As the liner notes say it's hard ta tell
if the prisoners wanna get out or if Mack wants ta get in ….. HHHaaaaa

…… and don't forget Mack penned Meat Man for The Killer …….

ROCKMAN

Date: September 10, 2019 02:24

Reverend Robert Wilkins - Prodigal Son
Bear Family BCD16629 AH ------ released 2014

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2554
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home