Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Concert for Bangladesh 1971
Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: August 13, 2019 04:18

Currently in Bangladesh and I have become more aware of the concert organised by George Harrison and Ravi Shankar to raise money for the refugees after the independence war.
Two shows at Madison Gardens featuring these two legends, plus Dylan ,Ringo Starr,Billy Preston etc.The proceeds of album/cd sales and film also still contribute to UNICEF.Obviously a pioneering idea for raising funds,which laid the seeds for events like Live Aid.
I have ordered the dvd of the gig and managed to track down an original 3 LP box set with booklet.Hopefully they will be awaiting me on my return to the UK.
I was wondering if :
Anybody has the recordings?
Views on the performances?
Did anyone here attend the gigs?
Views on charity gigs in general?
Thoughts please guys!

Re: Concert for Bangladesh 1971
Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 13, 2019 05:28

I was there. I am a native New Yorker and was at one of the shows.

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: August 13, 2019 06:03

Was there too. Tremendous show to say the least!! !st. time seeing George Ringo & Dylan. Me & 3 friends were walking by the garden after an all niter at fillmore east BB king late show. Saw a little line & asked whats going on & got right in line until the next a.m.. What a nite. By next a.m. line was all around the garden! Got great seats- 16 of them. One of the best shows ever.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: August 13, 2019 14:05

The movie is good, but they were very constrained by the fact that one of the cameras didn't work. It's a great time capsule. Eric Clapton was in the middle of his dreadful drug dependancy, but still pulled off two great performances.

I was in the UK at the time so could only follow it through media reports.

But, a good friend brought me over the USA triple album for Xmas that year. (I'd never met a USA multiple album set before and instead of the sides being 1 & 2 on disc 1, 3 & 4 on disc 2 and 5 & 6 on disc 3 - as in the UK, they were 1 & 6 on Disc 1, 2 & 5 on disc 2 and 3 & 4 on disc 3. Reason... so could stack the albums and turn them over once at the end of the first 3 dropping on each other. (Hurts me even to write that).

Anyway.... having the album set before it was released in the UK meant that I heard it in the UK before most people. Bob Harris on the BBC started to trail that when it was released he would play bits of it, so I wrote and urged him to play it all in one go to get the maximum impact... and he did and credited me with the suggestion.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 13, 2019 14:18

I didn't attend but had the triple album.

The Dylan side and Leon Russel's legendary version of Jumping Jack Flash spent many any hour on my turntable in the 70' & 80's.......In fact, I might dig it out tonight............

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 13, 2019 15:40

i have enjoyed that album and film so much, over the years.

I have to say, the performance by Ravi Shankar and his musicians, has become more and more enjoyable. back in the day, I used to skip it..

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: August 13, 2019 16:23

CaptainCorella
The movie is good, but they were very constrained by the fact that one of the cameras didn't work. It's a great time capsule. Eric Clapton was in the middle of his dreadful drug dependancy, but still pulled off two great performances.

I was in the UK at the time so could only follow it through media reports.

But, a good friend brought me over the USA triple album for Xmas that year. (I'd never met a USA multiple album set before and instead of the sides being 1 & 2 on disc 1, 3 & 4 on disc 2 and 5 & 6 on disc 3 - as in the UK, they were 1 & 6 on Disc 1, 2 & 5 on disc 2 and 3 & 4 on disc 3. Reason... so could stack the albums and turn them over once at the end of the first 3 dropping on each other. (Hurts me even to write that).

Anyway.... having the album set before it was released in the UK meant that I heard it in the UK before most people. Bob Harris on the BBC started to trail that when it was released he would play bits of it, so I wrote and urged him to play it all in one go to get the maximum impact... and he did and credited me with the suggestion.

what a great story - cheers for sharing!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 13, 2019 17:45

The Concert For Bangladesh is one of my favorite things ever. I could write about it for days.

I was so young (born so late after) and it was my favorite thing ever. Its more available now than it was in the 90s. Back then, I remember it was really hard to find a CD, let alone the video. I found the CD finally at an old CD World that was a gift from my dad for not biting my nails for a month. Then I remember we ordered the VHS of the concert on Ebay for probably like $30 (probably like $50 or $60 in today's money). My dad had to get it delivered to his office so that my mom wouldn't know (she's aware we're music freaks but anything she doesn't HAVE to know about we try to hide). I loved that god damn VHS. Still have it and never rebought the CD when they re-released everything in like 2006 but bought the $60 deluxe DVD that included a fantastic documentary. They did a wonderful job with that, and I also love that the kept the original record packaging for that version of the DVD. That was a big thing George insisted on in the initial release.

The show itself is extraordinary. I too used to skip Ravi but have grown to really appreciate it. Although I'm happy in its edited length. To me, so much of that concert is legendary, right down to George's look. To this day I still love that white suit with the huge beard and the orange shirt. This concert was always what made George my favorite Beatle. The fact that he selflessly pulled this all together, calling in all his famous friends (I'm so happy Ringo participated, you need to love the two of them) is truly mind boggling, and then that they all killed it. The All Things Must Pass songs far surpass their studio versions, with Wah Wah being a stunning opener to that set. Billy Preston absolutely steals the show with Thats The Way God Planned It, with that dance being legendary in my house. So amazing. Ringo doing It Don't Come Easy and forgetting the words, priceless.

Then of course the gem that is While My Guitar Gently Weeps with George and Eric. Eric in the throes of heroin addiction and still plays his god damn heart out and crushes it. He showed up to ONE rehearsal like the afternoon the day before and plays like a pro. Great joke he makes in the documentary about how he even picked a guitar that was totally wrong for him and made everything 10 times harder. Its incredibly he played as well as he did all things considered but thats why he's god. Poor Jesse Ed Davis was hired in case Clapton didn't show (he missed like 8 flights they booked him on) then got relegated to the background. For years Leon Russell was THE highlight for me then I found out years later thats apparently a part many people hated. Cause I guess it was directly from the shows he was doing at that time and most didn't like his singing. I still think its a highlight and so much fun to see a Beatle playing a Stones song. Badfinger being completely overlooked in the whole performance but the Here Comes The Sun performance is just beautiful with Pete Ham. The smile George gives when they start it to an eruption of applause, thats gotta feel great.

Then on top of that you get Dylan! In what is IMO one of his two greatest guest spots. To me, Dylan has two amazing guest spots, one acoustic and one electric. The electric one is The Last Waltz where he's in rare form and this one. Both performances he walks out for 20 minutes and kills it. His first live performance in like 4 years and apparently he was scared shitless. Ringo's also said they had no idea what the arrangements were and Bob was changing them on the fly. Then to end the night with an excellent new song in Bangladesh, I genuinely can't praise this show enough. Its maybe my favorite concert of all time. The film itself is priceless to have, and yes they had technical issues but all things considered its still a wonderful document. Its not like they really MISS anything in the film, they were just limited. They still make it work. I can't think of a single bad thing to say about this show. Its too bad Lennon declined the invitation. Or at least wanted to go but George forbid Yoko from joining onstage. @#$%& love you George.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 13, 2019 19:03

duke richardson

I have to say, the performance by Ravi Shankar and his musicians, has become more and more enjoyable. back in the day, I used to skip it..

thumbs up

My older brother bought the album when it was released (I was just 8), and we listened to it continuously.

So many classic performances, and a standout even up to this day is this: Leon Russell - Jumpin' Jack Flash/Youngblood...
Have always loved it when Leon starts preaching at the beginning of Youngblood, and again at the end, and how it then rips back in to JJF!
Can't be sure of the first time I saw the movie - maybe the Z channel in the late '70's (?), but have seen it dozens of times since.
Also learned to appreciate Ravi's set more as time went on, but when I was a kid it was completely baffling to my young ears.

Date: August 14, 2019 00:31

The stories about the show are great; George told them. About not knowing that Dylan would show until he was actually in the wings. And of course Clapton on that crazy guitar. I think it is during "weeps" that you see George trying to induce him into a little Q&A on lead guitars.
Leon of course. And his verse in "Beware of Darkness". I love when Leon comes in with that drawl "Watch out now, take care.."
But don't forget Billy Preston who electrifies the place when he jumps up and goes all Church on the place.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: August 14, 2019 00:36

the expanded DVD has more stuff and there are audio traders recordings of other performances.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 14, 2019 00:53

Hairball
duke richardson

thumbs up

My older brother bought the album when it was released (I was just 8), and we listened to it continuously.

So many classic performances, and a standout even up to this day is this: Leon Russell - Jumpin' Jack Flash/Youngblood...
Have always loved it when Leon starts preaching at the beginning of Youngblood, and again at the end, and how it then rips back in to JJF!
Can't be sure of the first time I saw the movie - maybe the Z channel in the late '70's (?), but have seen it dozens of times since.
Also learned to appreciate Ravi's set more as time went on, but when I was a kid it was completely baffling to my young ears.

Did George Harrison play "You"? That throw away song, at first, kicks ass.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 14, 2019 02:15

Always saw this concert as Harrison's response to Woodstock and maybe Altamont and the other 60s festivals.
It was a way for the young boomers to do more than hang out on a muddy field and listen to cool music -- the could listen from the comfort of their homes and enjoy cool music on the stereo ... while actually helping make the world a better place.

Date: August 14, 2019 04:39

Thanks for the comments guys !Some great stories and detailed analysis of the performances.
I am really looking forward to viewing this gig ,your comments have wet my appetite.
I really wish I could have attended such a momentous occasion.

I think what is important is that the sales of cd’s and dvd’s still go to charities all around the world.
George Harrison has a god like status here in Bangladesh .They have never forgotten what he did....both raising funds and awareness of the refugees crisis in 1971 ,and in some ways helping put the country on the world wide map.
I think Mr Harrison is definitely my favourite Beatle.
Interesting comments about Ravi Shanker.This type of music has grown on me over the years,I particularly like some of his daughter Anoushka’s recordings

Date: August 14, 2019 04:49

stargroover

Interesting comments about Ravi Shanker.This type of music has grown on me over the years,I particularly like some of his daughter Anoushka’s recordings

In that case I can particularly commend to you "The Concert For George" album and DVD set.

Many of the same performers, 30 years later roughly, plus a few famous additions.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 14, 2019 06:16

Hairball
duke richardson

thumbs up

Leon's original plan was to have Mick jump over the amps and join him for the finish.

Date: August 14, 2019 07:51

Thanks Captain I will check that album out,it sounds interesting!
Just been listening to Ravi Shankar at Woodstock,pretty hypnotic,relaxing stuff.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: August 14, 2019 08:24

I saw the film on a double bill with an Eliott Gould movie ("Little Murders"). It was exciting at the time. I was impressed that George Harrison used a capo, which we were learning about in guitar class.

Is there a reason Ravi Shankar isn't on the DVD release?

Posted by: exil ()
Date: August 14, 2019 08:42

This is a great concert,Get the deluxe dvd set.It has rehearsals and xtra suff.If you have a good sound system it rocks.

Date: August 14, 2019 09:38

stargroover
Just been listening to Ravi Shankar at Woodstock,pretty hypnotic,relaxing stuff.

I'm almost certain that Anooshka (and some other bits) have been cut from the album to get it to fit on a CD, so go for the DVD.

(Forgive me if you already knew this... "Concert For George" is the one-off one-night tribute show organised by Eric Clapton to pay tribute to George one year after his death. Worth watching the extra's on this one as well!)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 14, 2019 15:02

Oh how I wish I had been completely blind to what's out there, and could discover Concert For Bangladesh today.....sigh.....

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: August 14, 2019 16:13

I must have played that album to death! I loved everything about it-from the music to the packaging. The Bob Dylan set alone is priceless. Loved his singing and arrangements of all those tunes. Plus, when you got George Harrison, Leo, and Ringo backing you up-that ain't too shabby either (LOL)!

Date: August 14, 2019 17:02

CaptainCorella
stargroover

I'm almost certain that Anooshka (and some other bits) have been cut from the album to get it to fit on a CD, so go for the DVD.

(Forgive me if you already knew this... "Concert For George" is the one-off one-night tribute show organised by Eric Clapton to pay tribute to George one year after his death. Worth watching the extra's on this one as well!)

Yes Capt. I was just coming to say this: thaT for anyone who misses the Indian music section, that has largely been cut from the Concert for Bangla Desh releases, can make yup for it in the 'Concert for George' DVD, with Anoushka's wonderful performance. And I have to say that I am easily distracted by her incredible beauty and bearing in that show.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 14, 2019 17:08

Chris Fountain
Hairball
duke richardson

thumbs up

Pretty sure that "You" was a few years later.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: August 14, 2019 17:12

Elmo Lewis
Chris Fountain
Hairball
duke richardson

thumbs up

Yes, released on "Extra Texture" but it is obviously from the "What is Life" era. Towers above the rest of that album. (Although I like several songs on it "Answer is at the End", and the Smokey Robinson tribute song)

Date: August 14, 2019 17:24

I have the 2005 DVD release of this concert, it is quite superb as is the documentary disc which accompanies it and gives an insight into how the whole event came about.

I believe this was the first charity/benefit gig of all. 14 years before Live Aid in 1985. George Harrison - the cool Beatle.

Date: August 14, 2019 18:43

Palace Revolution 2000
Elmo Lewis
Chris Fountain
Hairball
duke richardson

thumbs up

Yes, released on "Extra Texture" but it is obviously from the "What is Life" era. Towers above the rest of that album. (Although I like several songs on it "Answer is at the End", and the Smokey Robinson tribute song)

"You" was recorded for a never released Ronnie Spector record (like "Try Some Buy Some," released as a single by Ronnie that went nowhere, with the track then re-used with vocals by George on his Living In The Material World LP)

I like "Tired of Midnight Blue" on Extra Texture. And I think that the 33 1/3 album from the following year is underrated with great songs like "Dear One" "Beautiful Girl" "See Yourself" etc. It even has ANOTHER Smokey Robinson tribute song on it!

As far as the Concert For Bangladesh...it was kind of HUGE DEAL in '71.

First of all, TWO Beatles on stage live, with DYLAN. Both the Beatles and Bob had not toured since 1966, and while you can say now that it was only five years, in Rock n Roll Time back then it seemed like five centuries!

The color pictures of the show in LIFE magazine were striking: Ringo at the drums singing his brand new hit from that summer, "It Don't Come Easy." George and Bob and Ringo and Leon together forming a Mt.Rushmore of Rock (Lucky Leon!)

Columbia took full advantage of Bob's appearance and rushed out a Greatest Hits Volume 2 in time for Christmas, illustrated with pics of Dylan in denim from the show.

His appearance on the Bangladesh album took a little negotiation. While the profits from the record were supposed to go to charity, Columbia wanted in on the action it ended up where Apple/Capitol manufactured the records and Columbia put out the 8-track and cassette tapes.

When the album came out, the track most-played on FM radio was Leon's JJF/Youngblood medley. For awhile, you couldn't get away from it.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 14, 2019 19:46

I'm listening to it now. It can bring me to tears. I know every word and image to the album and movie. It just means so much to me.

Even George's introduction: "We have a great show for you... I hope so anyway." He's SO nervous and genuine. What a legend. I love George so much.

Date: August 14, 2019 20:39

Manofwealthandtaste
I have the 2005 DVD release of this concert, it is quite superb as is the documentary disc which accompanies it and gives an insight into how the whole event came about.

I believe this was the first charity/benefit gig of all. 14 years before Live Aid in 1985. George Harrison - the cool Beatle.

I think the proceeds for the Monterey Pop Festival went to charity, but that wasn't the focus of the event.

But MTV noted the importance of the Bangladesh concert by running the film early in the morning just prior to their live all-day coverage of Live Aid, making note of it as the original superstar benefit gathering.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 14, 2019 20:46

As an 11 year old in 1971, one of our school teachers had us all singing along to her piano......Lord of the Dance, The Age of Aquarius and Blowing in the wind.............

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-14 20:47 by EddieByword.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1185
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home