Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Are ecologically responsible Stones Tours possible?
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 14, 2019 01:50

bv
Redhotcarpet
bv
If everybody parked their cars and changed from meat into vegetables for meals, then that would have 10,000 more times impact on the climate changes.

It is all about numbers. The Stones play in fromt of less than one million people this summer. At the same time, millions and millions eat meat and fly for all sorts of activites and so on and so on.

I would not worry so much about the tour really.

No it wouldnt. Humans cant change climates on earth. There is zero consensus about the reasons were once again in a slightly warmer (for some reason Sweden is not affected) cycle (not as warm as the last one btw).

Oh I see here we have one of those scepticals. Those who choose to believe in the part of science which is fitting in with their life pattern, then sort of ignore other parts of science.

So you trust science used to build bridges, high speed trains, mobile phones, elevators, skyscrapers, nuclear power plants, Internet, and clean water. Still, since it is not convenient for you, because you want to drive your car and have the steak and your other activities in life, you choose to ignore the scientific facts which thousands of scientists, meteorologists, physics and environmental researchers all are basing their models on now, including the United Nations.

May be Sweden is cold this week. That is not interesting. The point is that the climate is changing, and in a rapid way. Scientific evedent, undisputed.

Yes, I do know that some do still believe the earth is flat, and that Elvis is still alive, but sorry, the world is NOT flat, and Elvis is dead unfortunately.

Let us change the way of looking at it. There are may be five billion people on this planet, more or less. More than half of these people do never have a car or a steak or a holiday to the Carribean or wherever, they are struggling to find food and a safe place to sleep. When their food and homes are gone, due to floods and higher sea level, then they will start walking towards your safe home. Not in thousands, bujt in millions.

We are in this together.
Well said, bv. Thank you for saying what needs to be said.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: August 14, 2019 01:59

bv
Let us change the way of looking at it. There are may be five billion people on this planet, more or less. More than half of these people do never have a car or a steak or a holiday to the Caribbean or wherever, they are struggling to find food and a safe place to sleep. When their food and homes are gone, due to floods and higher sea level, then they will start walking towards your safe home. Not in thousands, but in millions. We are in this together.

There are actually 7.5 billion on this planet right now.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 14, 2019 02:00

Thank you for talking some sense, BV

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 14, 2019 02:11

Stoneage
BV
The Stones tour is totally irrelevant to the climate problem. In fact any tours. It is what every person do every day on this planet that matters.

That is a syllogistic fallacy. If what every person do every day matters so does what the Rolling Stones do. Use deductive reasoning.

Bingo!
Governments will not address this problem unless there is social agreement that it be addressed, and that everybody participates.
The Rolling Stones as individuals and as a corporation have a heavier carbon footprint than 99 percent of us, so certainly they must be part of the solution.
I can forsee a time when individuals who don't lessen their carbon footprint will be seen as social pariahs.

You know, Keith was always adamant that he should not be speaking out against drug use, when he himself was a drug user. I see the same thing with this issue.

Posted by: RStones2550 ()
Date: August 14, 2019 02:13

Way to belittle someone who disagrees with you, BV. There are actually lots of scientists who do disagree with the way the "climate movement" is going today. Yes, climate changes. That's how it goes. And most of this "science" is actually just computer models done by scientists whose grants and funds are made possible by governments who are expecting an outcome - it's getting warmer.

I mean, why do anything? We're all going to die by 2030 anyways.

Just because someone is skeptical of climate "science," doesn't mean that they believe in a flat Earth or that we can't build bridges. But you do you, continue belittling the people who disagree with you.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 14, 2019 02:42

RStones2550

That is not serious talk really. What report do you base such facts on? Do you have an URL i.e. a web site address of a serious kind?

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-14 07:56 by bv.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 14, 2019 02:48

climate change is small compared to the many people who have lost their lives in wars for well over 2 thousand years.

and wars will always continue, history wont change in that respect.

so maybe we need to take our heads out of the sand and look at what we can all do to prevent wars from starting.

Date: August 14, 2019 02:50

bv
RStones2550

That is not serious talk really. What report do you base such facts on? Do you have an URL i.e. a web site address of a serious kind?

Way not to address the main points, but it was Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez [thehill.com]

And no, I was not being serious.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 14, 2019 02:52

buttons67
climate change is small compared to the many people who have lost their lives in wars for well over 2 thousand years.

and wars will always continue, history wont change in that respect.

so maybe we need to take our heads out of the sand and look at what we can all do to prevent wars from starting.

I think it is out of the context of this thread how to avoid wars.

Having said that, there are less wars now than in the past. Again, based on science and research. The world is more peaceful, there are less wars. just look up the numbers of war research and statistics.

I am surprised by how many off-topic reasons for not doing anything with a real problem there really are. Undocumented verbal "I think so" reasons that is...

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-14 02:56 by bv.

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: August 14, 2019 04:07

For the sake of perspective, a lot can change in just 45 years:

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 14, 2019 04:31

Even if climate change wasn't real, we're still witnessing our economic system surpassing its inherent boundaries. It has become too productive, countries try to devalue their currency in order to even sell. Perhaps a giant economic meltdown is inevitable, but that could also be our fighing chance to restructure economy in a way that deals with the climate crisis. As long as nobody starts a war over it.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: August 14, 2019 04:56

Are the scientists in stone66 now wrong?

Are not the world's largest populations the main culprits China and India?

Date: August 14, 2019 05:21

nick

Are not the world's largest populations the main culprits China and India?
You tell 'em, Jim Bob! It's the fault of the dots and the slopes halfway around the world, not us good, pure, white Murrcans!

Date: August 14, 2019 05:25

Racist also I see. 2/3rds of the pollution from there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-14 05:26 by nick.

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: August 14, 2019 05:26

nick

Yes and no.

Meaning, they did exactly what the scientists of today do -- project the present onto the future.

It's doubtful that 2019 will have much of a say in 2065.

People being born this year will have an excellent chance of seeing the year 2100.

But not us.

We have just entered a new era of Solar Minimum (i.e., low sunspot activity); let's see what a few decades of this do for the present perception. According to NASA data, the upper/outer portion of Earth's atmosphere has since 2016 already undergone a drastic cooling.

Venus is a greenhouse, Earth is an open system; far larger and greater than us mere humans.

Date: August 14, 2019 05:30

nick
Racist also I see. 2/3rds of the pollution from there.
Nope, I'm just mocking you. Feel free to let your inner deplorable freak flag fly, comrade.

Your data is completely incorrect, by the way.

Date: August 14, 2019 05:31

Says you racist.

Date: August 14, 2019 05:38

nick
Says you racist.
Your side has never been able to comprehend satire or parody.

2017 CO2 emissions by country:

China: 29.34%
U.S.: 13.77%
India: 6.62%

The two countries are not even close to 67%.

But per capita:

China: 7.7
U.S.: 15.7
India: 1.8

The U.S. is far more gluttonous with a much smaller population.

Date: August 14, 2019 05:41

Whipping up some nonsense to deflect your bigotry don't fly. You have zero self control in controlling your political views too. That's good we know where you coming from.

Date: August 14, 2019 08:34

RStones2550
Way to belittle someone who disagrees with you, BV. There are actually lots of scientists who do disagree with the way the "climate movement" is going today. Yes, climate changes. That's how it goes. And most of this "science" is actually just computer models done by scientists whose grants and funds are made possible by governments who are expecting an outcome - it's getting warmer.

Just because someone is skeptical of climate "science," doesn't mean that they believe in a flat Earth or that we can't build bridges. But you do you, continue belittling the people who disagree with you.

It's based on facts, not something we have opinions about.

Date: August 14, 2019 08:48

DandelionPowderman
RStones2550

You completely missed the point - fact.

Date: August 14, 2019 10:02

RStones2550
DandelionPowderman
RStones2550

You completely missed the point - fact.

No, I didn't. And that's a fact smiling smiley

If you're "skeptical" to facts that only means that you didn't bother to get that knowledge. You just don't have the basis for "opinions", "disagreement" or "other views". Hence, you choose to believe something along the lines of a flat Earth, based on nothing but a few conspiracy theories.

A serious matter, so I don't see Bjørnulf's post as "belittling", more like a wake up call.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 14, 2019 13:23

I grew up in the USA, late 60’s early 70’s.
We were taught at school to crawl under our desks during nuclear bomb warnings and told that we would all freeze to death very soon just like the dinosaurs did.

A decade or so ago, our kids were taught in school that global warming would roast us all and that it was our own fault.

Now we are being lectured on climate change and anticipating earth’s impending doom on IORR...

I have every right to be skeptical.
In fact, I have every right to doubt the validity of all of it.
So-called “climate experts” aren’t scientists they are paid shills of a government with an agenda. Science is a never-ending study, it doesn’t just conclude with your own convenient findings.
Follow the money people.

The reason I love this site so much is because IORR is NOT political and NOT bought and paid for by any corporation. This thread disappoints me greatly.

Date: August 14, 2019 14:05

Kurt
We were taught at school to crawl under our desks during nuclear bomb warnings and told that we would all freeze to death very soon just like the dinosaurs did.

A decade or so ago, our kids were taught in school that global warming would roast us all and that it was our own fault.

Now we are being lectured on climate change and anticipating earth’s impending doom on IORR...

So-called “climate experts” aren’t scientists they are paid shills of a government with an agenda. Science is a never-ending study, it doesn’t just conclude with your own convenient findings.
Follow the money people.

The reason I love this site so much is because IORR is NOT political and NOT bought and paid for by any corporation. This thread disappoints me greatly.

While I find your post ridiculous and ignorant, I agree with your last paragraph.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 14, 2019 14:34

I knew this was going to end in politics. We have the right and the alt-right who denies climate change (out of self interest) and the green and left who sometimes becomes climate alarmists.
I think it's wise to keep your head cool and listen to the leading scientists. Which is easier said than done for laymen. It isn't easy to process all the information. Not even for scientists...

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 14, 2019 14:43

DandelionPowderman
Kurt

Follow the money people.

While I find your post ridiculous and ignorant, I agree with your last paragraph.

I am not ignorant.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 14, 2019 15:17

Stoneage
I knew this was going to end in politics. We have the right and the alt-right who denies climate change (out of self interest) and the green and left who sometimes becomes climate alarmists.
I think it's wise to keep your head cool and listen to the leading scientists. Which is easier said than done for laymen. It isn't easy to process all the information. Not even for scientists...

It should have nothing to do with politics but inevitably becomes entangled in politics, with left and right tending to attach themselves to one side or the other and politicise the issue. All governments of any persuasion want economic growth and the huge carbon footprint reduction we need would limit and very probably reverse economic growth, which is a vote winner for no-one.

It's not so much the heating up that's the problem itself but the resultant flooding. It is a measurable fact that Sea levels are rising and the polar ice caps are melting rapidly. Low lying land and coastal areas will be very vulnerable and those living there will be forced to move to safer land, perhaps at short notice, if they're lucky enough to have time to do so.

I don't know what the answer is, but hopefully we can cope with the consequences. If we all consume a bit less fuel, that can only help. World population growth is now slowing and will hopefully gently fall in future and not due to some apocalyptic event.

Date: August 14, 2019 16:55

Kurt
DandelionPowderman
Kurt

Follow the money people.

I am not ignorant.

Actively to choose not to obtain knowledge is ignorant. I have no idea whether you are an ignorant person in other ways.

Like if I said "I don't believe that what I pay in taxes will be going to welfare (when it is proven that it does). Therefore, I refuse to pay any".

That's would be an ignorant thing to say.

Date: August 14, 2019 17:12

Let's be glad they're still touring.

Isn't playing the same songs over and over sort of recycling?

See they are doing their part.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 14, 2019 17:19

G 314
Isn't playing the same songs over and over sort of recycling?

True, G 314. They are on top with recycling!

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1489
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home