Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Are ecologically responsible Stones Tours possible?
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 12, 2019 23:37

I hope this doesn't get flagged as a political thread. We know that the Stones already in 2001 were well aware of the "threats of climate change" as mentioned in the Shine A Light film. I would never file that under "hypocrisy" as everyone who cares is probably also well aware that individually, there's not much we can do. I fur sure would not want to miss festivals and concert events. Obviously a stadium concert is a massive power draw. Looking at the staging and the light show of the current tour, I would imagine it consumes much less power than the A Bigger Bang production did. That the tours are much more concise and to the point would also be on the plus side actually. The Stones fly around on a leased plane which someone else would lease if they didn't. Setting up a residency in London, NY or even Vegas would probably lead to many fans traveling internationally in order to see them. So what are they to do, really? Financially "compensating" for your personal carbon footprint has become a thing (and a business in itself) but how much of their gross income could we expect them to compensate? With the kind of money Mick can throw around, it could be great publicity (and return) if he invested in a solar power park. Let's collect some ideas

Re: Are ecologically responsible Stones Tours possible?
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 13, 2019 00:29

Short answer: No. The trade with emission rights reminds me of the trade with indulgences in the Middle Ages...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 13, 2019 00:30

Mick and keef sharin' the mic ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 13, 2019 00:38

Rockman
Mick and keef sharin' the mic ….

thumbs up

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 13, 2019 00:41

The stadium makes money on the concessions and probably get a fee from the Stones.

Therefore I conclude the stadium is spic and span clean for the next event Speaking of energy- gas is $2.15 a gallon here in the land of Rain, SUVs and Gators.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: August 13, 2019 01:14

Date: August 13, 2019 01:15

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: nick ()
Date: August 13, 2019 01:33

Contributions:

No gas burners during Sympathy.
Reusable, recyclable plastic cups.
Less tour dates.

Unfortunately:

They will stop touring decades before China and India stop creating 66% of the world's pollution.

Date: August 13, 2019 02:05

I hoped we could establish that a tour of club shows would be the responsible thing to do smoking smiley

Date: August 13, 2019 02:22

Just remember to do as the so-called "leaders" say and not as they do.

Date: August 13, 2019 02:23

...and by the way, no farting...contributes to green-house gas...hot smiley

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 13, 2019 02:40

Mick should throw out a reusable water bottle into the crowd instead of a red Solo cup...that would help.

Oh and make sure they all use paper straws backstage...
that would certainly help too.

Date: August 13, 2019 02:45

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 13, 2019 02:57

If everybody parked their cars and changed from meat into vegetables for meals, then that would have 10,000 more times impact on the climate changes.

It is all about numbers. The Stones play in fromt of less than one million people this summer. At the same time, millions and millions eat meat and fly for all sorts of activites and so on and so on.

I would not worry so much about the tour really.

Bjornulf

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 13, 2019 02:58

Looks like this topic made you blow a head gasket. It's obvious who you voted for.

Date: August 13, 2019 03:20

Not a blame game guys... I just wondered if it's possible

Date: August 13, 2019 03:29

keefriff99
Looks like this topic made you blow a head gasket. It's obvious who you voted for.

And the politics have begun.

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: August 13, 2019 03:43

bv
If everybody parked their cars and changed from meat into vegetables for meals, then that would have 10,000 more times impact on the climate changes.

It is all about numbers. The Stones play in fromt of less than one million people this summer. At the same time, millions and millions eat meat and fly for all sorts of activites and so on and so on.

It's how the beef is raised in North America that causes the problem, not the beef itself. There is a way to raise grass fed cattle on sustainable land.

Parking the cars I can get behind that idea!

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: August 13, 2019 03:46

Do away with the limo travel from the hotel to the venue.Hire two tandems instead.Mick and Keef on a shiny green tandem,and Charlie and Ronnie on a mustard yellow tandem.Both tandems to be fitted with small solar panels.
After the tour auction off the tandems and donate the funds to climate change research.Is Everybody Happy with the colours and allocation of tandems ?

Date: August 13, 2019 03:49

I think they use hybrid limo's.That ecological isn't it?

Sorry to put it this way but...……… shouldn't we be glad they are still touring?

Let's all do our part and recycle as much as possible when tailgating, use solar cell phone chargers and don't use butane lighters before the encore.

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: August 13, 2019 05:06

Removing latter-day clunkers like It's Only R & R from the set list will help, thereby cutting down on restroom breaks and thus easing the burden on our precious rivers and oceans.

Cutting down on Scoping and Facebook feeds would also help:

What Is The Carbon Footprint Of The Internet ? The Impact Of Internet On Our Environment

We are all using Internet on a daily basis, but we are too little to know and understand that Internet pollution is huge! It’s a real phenomenon, as devastating as civil aviation pollution and whose development is exponential.

What Is The Internet Pollution?
Internet pollution, or the impact of Internet on ecology is simply pollution caused by the operation of the Internet. For many, the Internet is synonymous with dematerialization. Yet, far from being dematerialized, the Internet is based on a physical infrastructure. Indeed, a whole network of cables, data centers and servers underpin the functioning of the internet:

1- With just over 300 locations (337 to be exact), London, England has the largest concentration of data centers in any given city across the globe.

2- 58 944 relay antennas are now installed in France and overseas territories.

3-France produces the equivalent of 45.72 kg of electrical and electronic waste per second

The Digital Activity Are Responsible For 2% Of The Planet’s CO2 Emissions
Sending an email, Using search engines, storing data pollute: the web generates today 2% of the CO2 emissions of the planet. And this is just the beginning of this new form of pollution. Indeed, within four years, digital pollution will represent 3 to 4% of carbon dioxide emissions … A situation that becomes alarming!

More: [cleanfox.io]

Date: August 13, 2019 08:05

shadooby
...and by the way, no farting...contributes to green-house gas...hot smiley

Cow farting that is. Seriously. That is the price of a steak. Flooding in New Orleans and elsewhere.

Bjornulf

Date: August 13, 2019 08:20

First of all, the climate changes are not a political issue, they are for real. Just like E = mc2 or the fact that the apple is falling from the tree. It is all laws of nature. You may wish it is fake news, because life is so much more comfortable with your head in the sand, but it is all proven by scientists, just like Newton, Einstein and others in science, who have helped us making bridges, skyscrapers, nuclear power and lots more based on science.

Secondly, anyone who is trying to hook political comments into this thread will see their posts gone. Don't waste time on naming politicians, or your favorite political cases here. Those posts will be gone, just as fast as the Stones are gone after the final bow.

Thirdly, I posted this on FB some days ago, worth a mention here too:

July 2019 is said to be the hottest month on a worldwide basis since measurements started centuries ago. Still, climate experts are saying this year's July will be one of the coldest when you look back some years in the near future. Image below: Word temperature Aug 2, 2019. Source: The University of Maine

Bjornulf

Date: August 13, 2019 09:09

With the planet being billions of years old, this has never happened before?

We can't stop a rainstorm, tornado, blizzard, hurricane, heatwave, polar vortex but we can control global warming or cooling?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-13 09:15 by nick.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 13, 2019 09:43

bv

they could stop selling meat, sausages etc. at concerts, provide no parking at the venues and/or play only venues that are easily accessible with public transport and stop giving people plastic bags for the merchandise stuff. Small steps of course but better than nothing
And don't let their tour being sponsored by Jeep!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-13 09:43 by slewan.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 13, 2019 11:32

…. hey I gotta good one …..

Turn all the lights out and play an acoustic show ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 13, 2019 12:14

Right on BV. A voice of reason.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 13, 2019 13:21

The problem is that you can't discuss climate change without going into politics sooner or later. One constant truth is however that self interest never lies. That goes for both states and individuals.
Someone claimed here that rock/pop world tours are not a problem. Only other things are. So, people travelling from all over the world to see a two hour show that involves stages that takes kilometers
of trucks to put together is environmentally friendly? Give me a break. It's also a problem when the political elite raises taxes on fuel (which doesn't bother them but ordinary people who need their car for transport).
So, considering the political leadership we have now - this is going to be a tough nut to crack...

Date: August 13, 2019 13:44

Only in England, because they don't have a good deal for recycling of that particular product. The same straws are recycled in Norway, and they're eco-friendly in every way possible smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-13 13:44 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 13, 2019 13:56

nick
With the planet being billions of years old, this has never happened before?

We can't stop a rainstorm, tornado, blizzard, hurricane, heatwave, polar vortex but we can control global warming or cooling?

Off course not, Nick.
Japanese have been predicting earthquakes for more than a Century, but de next major quake in Tokyo is almost 60 years over date ... others think they can tell us how the weather will develop in the next 5 to 10 years ... but what will happen if in the next 5 to 10 years four or five gigantic vulcanic eruptions take place? Back to ice age. Actually (I off course hope it never happens) if the Yellowstone caldera explodes, no more other eruptions are needed for that. Not to mention any major off track meteorite kissing our globe ...
Let's just rock and roll and not think too much about that sword of Damocles that's hanging above us living beings ...
But don't forget to be environment-conscious!
smileys with beer

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1469
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home